The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender telecaster, do I need IT? Electric Guitar
Old 24th July 2018
  #1
Fender telecaster, do I need IT?

I am a blues player and I have an American Strat and a used Les Paul that sounds great. I played a American Telecaster today and I really like it. I didn't love it but it was very nice. After I got home I pulled out my Strat and started playing the back pick up and after reducing the high end I my amp, I believe I got a similar sound to the Tele. Sure the Tele has a little more spank and a little fuller sound.

Debating if it's enough of a difference and if it would fit my style as well. Besides Roy Buchanan who I enjoyed seeing on YouTube today not many blues players use a Tele. Wondering if I would play the guitar a lot if I bought it. Do you think it's more of a country guitar? Yes It gets the Rolling Stones sound and Led Zep I and a little of two as well
. But we're taking 2018 folks. What your opinion?
Old 24th July 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Yes. You need one
Old 24th July 2018
  #3
Gear Addict
 

If it doesn’t inspire you, don’t talk yourself into it. You’ll do fine without it

At the same time, I suggest you get your head checked because it’s such a gorgeous guitar
Old 24th July 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Do you think it's more of a country guitar?
Yes they are great for country music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
It gets the Rolling Stones sound and Led Zep I and a little of two as well
. But we're taking 2018 folks. What your opinion?
Page only played a tele on 6 songs and a couple random guitar solos. He played between 3 different Les Paul 80% of the records. Also played the danelectro the Gibson 1275 on various tracks.

The stones barely recorded with Teles. They used them more in the late 70s 80s 90s which equates to only about 3 albums out of 15 albums. Most stones records are actually Gibsons. Specifically the SG, Flying V, Melody Maker, Les Paul, Firebrid, ES-335 or ES-345 . They used Rics, Vox and Gretch guitars quite a bit in the early days too. Later in the 70s and 80s they used Zemaitis Guiatrs. Mick Taylor never really played teles. Brian Jones very little.

Keith even played the Dan Armstrong guitar quite a bit, specifically Altamont he played the plexiglass guitar

So yeah you still need one since Joe Walsh and Tom Morello played them.
Old 24th July 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Every grown gtr player man needs a strat, a les pail and a tele... maybe several of each lol
Old 24th July 2018
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I am a blues player and I have an American Strat and a used Les Paul that sounds great. I played a American Telecaster today and I really like it. I didn't love it but it was very nice. After I got home I pulled out my Strat and started playing the back pick up and after reducing the high end I my amp, I believe I got a similar sound to the Tele. Sure the Tele has a little more spank and a little fuller sound.

Debating if it's enough of a difference and if it would fit my style as well. Besides Roy Buchanan who I enjoyed seeing on YouTube today not many blues players use a Tele. Wondering if I would play the guitar a lot if I bought it. Do you think it's more of a country guitar? Yes It gets the Rolling Stones sound and Led Zep I and a little of two as well
. But we're taking 2018 folks. What your opinion?
Ever hear of Muddy Waters? Mike Bloomfield? Danny Gatton?
Old 24th July 2018
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
Yes they are great for country music


Page only played a tele on 6 songs and a couple random guitar solos. He played between 3 different Les Paul 80% of the records. Also played the danelectro the Gibson 1275 on various tracks.

The stones barely recorded with Teles. They used them more in the late 70s 80s 90s which equates to only about 3 albums out of 15 albums. Most stones records are actually Gibsons. Specifically the SG, Flying V, Melody Maker, Les Paul, Firebrid, ES-335 or ES-345 . They used Rics, Vox and Gretch guitars quite a bit in the early days too. Later in the 70s and 80s they used Zemaitis Guiatrs. Mick Taylor never really played teles. Brian Jones very little.

Keith even played the Dan Armstrong guitar quite a bit, specifically Altamont he played the plexiglass guitar

So yeah you still need one since Joe Walsh and Tom Morello played them.
Page and Beck both used Telecasters (actually Esquires) with the Yardbirds on a records and gigs.

Keef has been using 5 string Telecasters since Jumpin' Jack Flash, if not before.

I don't recall The Stones ever using Melody Makers or Rics and if they used Gretsches they didn't use them much. You're thinking of The Beatles and the other Liverpool bands on those last two.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 24th July 2018 at 03:05 PM..
Old 24th July 2018
  #8
Gear Addict
 
chazmar's Avatar
I've got 11 and I love them all. From the nature of your post, YOU should definitely have 1.
Old 27th July 2018
  #9
I think I'm going for it.

Let me ask you Strat players, how often do you use the back pickup on its own? I found very little times in the past 10 years that I have used it on it's own. It's too thin and it has too much treble. I will say I recently I spent a good amount of time working on different settings on my amp with more mid's, and bass and backing off the treble. I was able to get some very good sounds out of the Strat back pickup.

But going through several youtube videos of Strat vs Tele, the back pickup of the Tele is just fuller while still having a nice top end. When you add a little distortion, the Tele for me just sounds better.
Old 27th July 2018
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
The stones barely recorded with Teles.
Google Keith Richards Micawber.

The main difference for me between the Strat and Tele bridge pickup is the springs inside a Strat. To me it makes the guitar feel and sound a bit spongy. Unfirm. Like there's not as much of a direct coupling between the strings and the wood as a Tele has.
Old 27th July 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Mikhael's Avatar
 

Blues? Tele? Albert Collins?

Truth is, it doesn't matter a damn bit which guitar you use for whatever genre of music. That should be painfully obvious by the number of differing guitars played by the thousands of guitarists around the world. It's your intent, the strength of your conviction, and the ability to translate the music and emotions in your head into the sounds others hear that matters.
Old 27th July 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Every grown gtr player man needs a strat, a les pail and a tele... maybe several of each lol
I agree that in every guitar player's deep-down soul, that truth eventually sinks in. Sometimes you're a kid when you realize it though.

I actually have had several strats (only one right now) and have never liked the feel of them. But I've always needed their sound on various things in the studio. So of course, yes, I neeeeed a strat and therefore, I own one at all times. Les Pauls are home for me. I always have lots of those.

I've been picking up and playing teles since about 1965 or so. I've recorded with them a lot over the years but never yet bought one. I like the feel. Different....as each guitar model of course is. Almost bought a solid walnut tele in 1973 from someone.

Sigh..... I guess I'll buy one maybe later this year. I just have to figure out how much of a hassle (if any) it'll be to install a Bigsby on it, which for me, will be required.
Old 28th July 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
Roy Buchanan. 'nuff said.
Old 28th July 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

I was pretty much thinking the same thing 6/7 years ago. I had a Strat and a Les Paul. Played mostly the Gibson. I got the bug and bought a Tele. Played it till the novelty wore off and it sat there for 2 years till I sold it.
So I bought the Gretsch blackie and same thing ...I sold it.

A while back, I found a mint condition Heritage 150 and this thing is perfect.
Great tone, sustain and it stays in tune like nothing else I ever owned.
Now the Strat and the Les Paul are sitting pretty so yeah, you have to buy the Tele or you'll never know.
Old 30th July 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
allphourus's Avatar
 

About Eight years ago I bought two different Tele style Guitars and a John Mayer Strat in rapid succession, A fender Tele first though it was not a standard Tele, a Schecter Custom shop PT Nashville and then the JM Strat. Let me preface this by saying I was mainly a Gibson (SGs AND ESs) player most of my life (since 69) and never felt comfortable with the Fender scale length and had never owned one for that reason. Now the two telecasters are my faves the JM Languishes it's case unplayed, NEVER COULD BOND WITH IT. I often think I should sell it off.

Last edited by allphourus; 10th August 2018 at 04:55 AM..
Old 30th July 2018
  #16
Gear Addict
Depends on the artist too, tone's in the fingers. You'd expect Larry would be using his 335 on this tune right?

Old 30th July 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 

OP..you said 'you really liked it'

That means..buy one..

a lester and a strat..unfair to leave the Tele out if you're trying to cover some sort of range here
..the Tele has the biggest reach of all them, it gives you so much and once you own one and spend time with it you'll see what all the other freaks see
Old 30th July 2018
  #18
Everyone should have at least one Telecaster.
Old 9th August 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
nightchef's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Ever hear of Muddy Waters? Mike Bloomfield? Danny Gatton?
Not to mention Albert Collins.

And while Robbie Robertson isn't usually thought of as a blues guitarist, if you want to know how well a Tele can work as a blues guitar you could do worse than check out his playing on Ronnie Hawkins' "Who Do You Love" (the original studio version, not the silly Last Waltz romp).
Old 11th August 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 
lame pseudonym's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Everyone should have at least one Telecaster.
I bought one a couple years ago for that very reason. If you find one that's kind of almost in the ballpark of what you like, and is really a Telecaster and not some silly thing with humbuckers, get it and learn to love it.

.
Old 11th August 2018
  #21
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
You wouldn't be asking if you didn't.
Old 11th August 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Albert Collins.... baddest blues guitarist that ever lived.
YouTube


in other fields.....Ed Bickert, Ted Green, Pete Anderson, need we say... The Brent Mason....
Old 11th August 2018
  #23
Gear Addict
 
patshep's Avatar
a tele is the most essential electric in my book
Old 11th August 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
a tele is the most essential electric in my book
Yes.
I think for the uninitiated its important to note that they vary in sound and use. For example a light all maple neck version will get you that thin snappy twang better than a heavier body and rosewood finger board, which will be a bit more diverse.
And the Suhr pick ups absolutley kill in the maple neck teles.
Old 11th August 2018
  #25
Gear Addict
 
patshep's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
Yes.
I think for the uninitiated its important to note that they vary in sound and use. For example a light all maple neck version will get you that thin snappy twang better than a heavier body and rosewood finger board, which will be a bit more diverse.
And the Suhr pick ups absolutley kill in the maple neck teles.
My 52 reissue has noiseless melancon pickups and my guy modded it with some cap on the tone control that you can pull and get the best jazz tone, it's a workhorse, and has more mojo than any guitar ever... from the meanest bridge pickup treble bite to smooth as hell jazz tones, easy to play stays in tune, has it all
Old 11th August 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 
lame pseudonym's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Truth is, it doesn't matter a damn bit which guitar you use for whatever genre of music. That should be painfully obvious by the number of differing guitars played by the thousands of guitarists around the world. It's your intent, the strength of your conviction, and the ability to translate the music and emotions in your head into the sounds others hear that matters.
Some would call this wishy-washy equivocation, which the world needs much less of.
Old 11th August 2018
  #27
Gear Nut
 

Yes, you need one! Behold the magic, power and majesty of the holy trinity of electric guitars.

"The Telecaster has been in continuous production since 1951. For those who worship in the church of guitar, it holds sacred status as the eldest of the electric guitar's holy trinity: Stratocaster, Les Paul and Telecaster."

NPR Choice page
Old 12th August 2018
  #28
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Blues? Tele? Albert Collins?

Truth is, it doesn't matter a damn bit which guitar you use for whatever genre of music. That should be painfully obvious by the number of differing guitars played by the thousands of guitarists around the world. It's your intent, the strength of your conviction, and the ability to translate the music and emotions in your head into the sounds others hear that matters.
Old 12th August 2018
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Blues? Tele? Albert Collins?

Truth is, it doesn't matter a damn bit which guitar you use for whatever genre of music. That should be painfully obvious by the number of differing guitars played by the thousands of guitarists around the world. It's your intent, the strength of your conviction, and the ability to translate the music and emotions in your head into the sounds others hear that matters.
While it's true that you can play anything on anything (David Allen Coe plays country music on a Dimebag Darrell Dean), you'l find that certain guitars express your musical intent better than others for certain kinds of music. The Telecaster (traditional, not one of those newfangled bastardizations) has one of the most distinctive characters of any electric guitar. It's suited to many types of music, but it always brings that distinctive "Telecasterness" to anything played on it.
Old 12th August 2018
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
Why would you buy a guitar that doesn't inspire you? If the telecaster doesn't bring some magic to your playing or ear, move along.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump