The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiler Rack vs Fractal Audio Axe FX III DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Kemper Profiler Rack vs Fractal Audio Axe FX III

I'm considering purchasing one of these devices (Kemper or Fractal Audio) to add more amplifier choices to my recording studio.

My amps now
I own a Soldano Avenger, Tone King Imperial and a Roland JC100, love those amps. However, I am about to start recording a new album with my band and I am thinking that a simulator can give me lots more choices than I could afford in actual hardware. I've owned a lot of amps, and the 3 that I have now represent great tone, but there are no sounds "in between". For the price of one more great amp, I can buy that Kemper.

Not for my own modeling
I will not be using it to model the gear I already own. In those cases, I will just fire up my amps. Instead, I want to get a fuller library of classic Fenders, a couple of Marshall, and anything Vox to try. As we layer guitars, maybe slightly different versions of similar amps - you know what I mean. Please, let's not debate about me buying 10 actual guitar amplifiers.

My question is:
The last amp simulator I used was a POD XT, which wasn't NEARLY an amp on a recorded track. That was about 6 years ago. If I was willing to take a chance on a new simulator (for recording) and I don't want to model my own, what is going to give me the best result? I don't mind buying some add on packs to acquire good tools.

Thanks.

Last edited by tom682; 1 week ago at 05:34 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom682 View Post
I'm considering purchasing one of these devices (Kemper or Fractal Audio) to add more amplifier choices to my recording studio.

My amps now
I own a Soldano Avenger, Tone King Imperial and a Roland JC100, love those amps. However, I am about to start recording a new album with my band and I am thinking that a simulator can give me lots more choices than I could afford in actual hardware. I've owned a lot of amps, and the 3 that I have now represent great tone, but there are no sounds "in between". For the price of one more great amp, I can buy that Kemper.

Not for my own modeling
I will not be using it to model the gear I already own. In those cases, I will just fire up my amps. Instead, I want to get a fuller library of classic Fenders, a couple of Marshall, and anything Vox to try. As we layer guitars, maybe slightly different versions of similar amps - you know what I mean. Please, let's not debate about me buying 10 actual guitar amplifiers.

My question is:
The last amp simulator I used was a POD XT, which wasn't NEARLY an amp on a recorded track. That was about 6 years ago. If I was willing to take a chance on a new simulator (for recording) and I don't want to model my own, what is going to give me the best result? I don't mind buying some add on packs to acquire good tools.

Thanks.
I recently started recording an album with my band. The Kemper has a positive influence in how I record and it saves money. My workflow is and will basically be the same for each song: 1) Record my guitar tracks and finalize guitar mix to a click in Pro Tools at home. 2) Record scratch vocals in Pro Tools at home. 3) Bounce guitar tracks, vocals and click, email to drummer. 3) Drummer writes/learns drums at home. Shift to recording studio. At the studio record the drums, bass, vocals then record additional instruments. Mix and master at the studio.

The studio engineer I've hired requested the ability to reamp if needed. The Kemper solves this beautifully. All my guitar tracks in Pro Tools are comprised of two separate mono tracks, one Kemper track and one dry ready to reamp, both simultaneously recorded out of the Kemper.

I've said this before on this forum, the Kemper is the best all-around gear purchase I've ever made. I buy profiles from TAF (the Amp Factory) and Michael Britt. 99% of the time I record with profiles from TAF. I've made profiles myself, but TAF and Michael Britt profiles sound infinitely better than my profiles, even when profiling the exact same amp. I have all my favorite amps in the world in the Kemper courtesy of TAF and Michael Britt. Obviously these are amps I could never profile myself.

Let me know if you need info later regarding Kemper settings with the output of Kemper track and dry track.
Old 1 week ago
Much love for the Kemper, best amp tone and feel out there among the sims even now so many years on since it’s release. If FX are your thing though then the AxeFX is hard to beat, incredible depth of control there. Are you someone that likes to create original new sounds and effects, doesn’t mind a little programming or do you prefer classic tones and ease of use? For the former pick the Axe, for the latter the Kemper is the way to go. Imo of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If it means anything, I'm selling my second Kemper also sold an Axe FX 2.. As much as the convenience and quiet recording is cool, there's really no substitute.. The Axe FX for me is somewhere near the ballpark but always sounds fake and the Kemper has the "real" feel but a phasey shadow of it's former self..

After I recently recorded an ENGL (for the first time in yayges) and then profiled it for later useage it couldn't of arrived on E-bay quicker.. Hey, if you want a Kemper I have one for sale.

P.S I would be the worlds worst salesman..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For the price of an axe fx III you can buy a fender, a marshall and a vox.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think you’d actually be a good candidate for the Kemper. It will fit in well with what you have and give a ton of colors you don’t.
It’s AMAZING on bass.

The Kemper profiles are a snapshot of an entire recording chain. The only real issue is that a lot of people who own cool amps and make profiles aren’t necessarily good engineers and don’t have a great recording rig. With a real amp you can plug in just about any guitar and get a good, workable sound. In a real studio it’s easy to get that sound recorded. With the Kemper, it’s not hard to make it sound terrible. Even a lot of the factory content isn’t that great which really surprised me. And you can’t fix a poorly recorded profile.

So yes, while the Kemper CAN be made to sound great, it definitely takes some digging to find the gems. It’s a very useful tool and absolutely smokes all of the plugin amp sims.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I absolutely love my Fractal AX8. I havent played a Kemper all that much, but Im happy with what I have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search