The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Kemper Profiler Rack vs Fractal Audio Axe FX III
Old 12th July 2018
  #1
Gear Head
Kemper Profiler Rack vs Fractal Audio Axe FX III

I'm considering purchasing one of these devices (Kemper or Fractal Audio) to add more amplifier choices to my recording studio.

My amps now
I own a Soldano Avenger, Tone King Imperial and a Roland JC100, love those amps. However, I am about to start recording a new album with my band and I am thinking that a simulator can give me lots more choices than I could afford in actual hardware. I've owned a lot of amps, and the 3 that I have now represent great tone, but there are no sounds "in between". For the price of one more great amp, I can buy that Kemper.

Not for my own modeling
I will not be using it to model the gear I already own. In those cases, I will just fire up my amps. Instead, I want to get a fuller library of classic Fenders, a couple of Marshall, and anything Vox to try. As we layer guitars, maybe slightly different versions of similar amps - you know what I mean. Please, let's not debate about me buying 10 actual guitar amplifiers.

My question is:
The last amp simulator I used was a POD XT, which wasn't NEARLY an amp on a recorded track. That was about 6 years ago. If I was willing to take a chance on a new simulator (for recording) and I don't want to model my own, what is going to give me the best result? I don't mind buying some add on packs to acquire good tools.

Thanks.

Last edited by tom682; 12th July 2018 at 05:34 PM..
Old 13th July 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom682 View Post
I'm considering purchasing one of these devices (Kemper or Fractal Audio) to add more amplifier choices to my recording studio.

My amps now
I own a Soldano Avenger, Tone King Imperial and a Roland JC100, love those amps. However, I am about to start recording a new album with my band and I am thinking that a simulator can give me lots more choices than I could afford in actual hardware. I've owned a lot of amps, and the 3 that I have now represent great tone, but there are no sounds "in between". For the price of one more great amp, I can buy that Kemper.

Not for my own modeling
I will not be using it to model the gear I already own. In those cases, I will just fire up my amps. Instead, I want to get a fuller library of classic Fenders, a couple of Marshall, and anything Vox to try. As we layer guitars, maybe slightly different versions of similar amps - you know what I mean. Please, let's not debate about me buying 10 actual guitar amplifiers.

My question is:
The last amp simulator I used was a POD XT, which wasn't NEARLY an amp on a recorded track. That was about 6 years ago. If I was willing to take a chance on a new simulator (for recording) and I don't want to model my own, what is going to give me the best result? I don't mind buying some add on packs to acquire good tools.

Thanks.
I recently started recording an album with my band. The Kemper has a positive influence in how I record and it saves money. My workflow is and will basically be the same for each song: 1) Record my guitar tracks and finalize guitar mix to a click in Pro Tools at home. 2) Record scratch vocals in Pro Tools at home. 3) Bounce guitar tracks, vocals and click, email to drummer. 3) Drummer writes/learns drums at home. Shift to recording studio. At the studio record the drums, bass, vocals then record additional instruments. Mix and master at the studio.

The studio engineer I've hired requested the ability to reamp if needed. The Kemper solves this beautifully. All my guitar tracks in Pro Tools are comprised of two separate mono tracks, one Kemper track and one dry ready to reamp, both simultaneously recorded out of the Kemper.

I've said this before on this forum, the Kemper is the best all-around gear purchase I've ever made. I buy profiles from TAF (the Amp Factory) and Michael Britt. 99% of the time I record with profiles from TAF. I've made profiles myself, but TAF and Michael Britt profiles sound infinitely better than my profiles, even when profiling the exact same amp. I have all my favorite amps in the world in the Kemper courtesy of TAF and Michael Britt. Obviously these are amps I could never profile myself.

Let me know if you need info later regarding Kemper settings with the output of Kemper track and dry track.
Old 14th July 2018
  #3
Much love for the Kemper, best amp tone and feel out there among the sims even now so many years on since it’s release. If FX are your thing though then the AxeFX is hard to beat, incredible depth of control there. Are you someone that likes to create original new sounds and effects, doesn’t mind a little programming or do you prefer classic tones and ease of use? For the former pick the Axe, for the latter the Kemper is the way to go. Imo of course.
Old 14th July 2018
  #4
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
If it means anything, I'm selling my second Kemper also sold an Axe FX 2.. As much as the convenience and quiet recording is cool, there's really no substitute.. The Axe FX for me is somewhere near the ballpark but always sounds fake and the Kemper has the "real" feel but a phasey shadow of it's former self..

After I recently recorded an ENGL (for the first time in yayges) and then profiled it for later useage it couldn't of arrived on E-bay quicker.. Hey, if you want a Kemper I have one for sale.

P.S I would be the worlds worst salesman..
Old 14th July 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
ProgFree's Avatar
 

For the price of an axe fx III you can buy a fender, a marshall and a vox.
Old 16th July 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
I think you’d actually be a good candidate for the Kemper. It will fit in well with what you have and give a ton of colors you don’t.
It’s AMAZING on bass.

The Kemper profiles are a snapshot of an entire recording chain. The only real issue is that a lot of people who own cool amps and make profiles aren’t necessarily good engineers and don’t have a great recording rig. With a real amp you can plug in just about any guitar and get a good, workable sound. In a real studio it’s easy to get that sound recorded. With the Kemper, it’s not hard to make it sound terrible. Even a lot of the factory content isn’t that great which really surprised me. And you can’t fix a poorly recorded profile.

So yes, while the Kemper CAN be made to sound great, it definitely takes some digging to find the gems. It’s a very useful tool and absolutely smokes all of the plugin amp sims.
Old 18th July 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
M.S.P.'s Avatar
I absolutely love my Fractal AX8. I havent played a Kemper all that much, but Im happy with what I have.
Old 7th August 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

I bought a Kemper for recording purposes only. Had it for a couple years and honestly I hated it. Some of the clean sounds were ok but any profile that had gain had something about that was extremely unpleasant to my ears. I recently sold it and have absolutely no regrets.

In a couple years there will be something much better on the market that will expose Kempers downside and I’m guessing Kempers will barely be fetching $700-$800 on reverb.

IMHO Kempers would be perfect for a guitarist in a cover band playing for drunk people in dive bars. I could see it being very handy for this purpose.

Stick to your amps and instead of buying a Kemper invest in some good mics or outboard gear.
Old 8th August 2018
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
GrabtharsHammer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.S.P. View Post
I absolutely love my Fractal AX8. I havent played a Kemper all that much, but Im happy with what I have.
+1

The AX8 is affordable and has everything - and more - a guitarist needs. And with the new Firmmware v10 it has become even better. Best gear purchase I have ever made.
Old 12th August 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

you just need good profiles:

Products | Norbury Brook Profiles


sorry about the shameless plug, but I've had people about to sell their Kempers and try these profiles and go wow, it sounds and feels like I always thought it should.

Guavadude is right, just having a good amp doesn't mean you can make good profiles.

I've used my 1960's U67 ser#116 when making these profiles along with a ribbon and an SM57 , phase correct, and placed perfectly so the end results show this.





MC
Old 12th August 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
you just need good profiles:

Products | Norbury Brook Profiles

sorry about the shameless plug, but I've had people about to sell their Kempers and try these profiles and go wow, it sounds and feels like I always thought it should.

Guavadude is right, just having a good amp doesn't mean you can make good profiles.

I've used my 1960's U67 ser#116 when making these profiles along with a ribbon and an SM57 , phase correct, and placed perfectly so the end results show this.

MC
I'm very happy you posted! I bought the Dumble pack and your profiles rival the best profiles from TAF and MB.

Our band is currently recording an original album. I'm primarily using TAF profiles but Norbury Brook will now be in the credits as well.
Old 12th August 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I'm very happy you posted! I bought the Dumble pack and your profiles rival the best profiles from TAF and MB.

Our band is currently recording an original album. I'm primarily using TAF profiles but Norbury Brook will now be in the credits as well.
that's great to hear :D


thanks for the feedback(sic)



MC
Old 18th August 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 
patshep's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.S.P. View Post
I absolutely love my Fractal AX8. I havent played a Kemper all that much, but Im happy with what I have.
the AX8 is a multi effects unit?? or does it emulate mic'd amps?
from what i've heard the fractals sound amazing, i haven't liked the kemper clips i've heard, but i haven't played either... the fractal AX8 could be in my price range!!
Old 20th August 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
M.S.P.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
the AX8 is a multi effects unit?? or does it emulate mic'd amps?
from what i've heard the fractals sound amazing, i haven't liked the kemper clips i've heard, but i haven't played either... the fractal AX8 could be in my price range!!
The FX8 is a multieffects floorboard from Fractal Audio with no amp modelling. The AX8 is a multieffects and a amp modeller. The difference is the AX8 and Axefx is the Axefx can run multiple amp sims, the AX8 is just one at a time. Not a big deal for me. There is a difference in the amount of effects processing power too I guess, but I dont needs 20 effects running at once. I really do love my AX8. Sure the Axefx III would be cool to have, but I am fine where i am.
Old 20th August 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
patshep's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.S.P. View Post
The FX8 is a multieffects floorboard from Fractal Audio with no amp modelling. The AX8 is a multieffects and a amp modeller. The difference is the AX8 and Axefx is the Axefx can run multiple amp sims, the AX8 is just one at a time. Not a big deal for me. There is a difference in the amount of effects processing power too I guess, but I dont needs 20 effects running at once. I really do love my AX8. Sure the Axefx III would be cool to have, but I am fine where i am.
no amp modelling but amp sims?
Old 21st August 2018
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Have you seen this:

YouTube

I think that sums it up.
Old 21st August 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethem View Post
Have you seen this:

YouTube

I think that sums it up.
This sums up to zero. Nothing but Kempers typical marketing bullsh*t. I wonder how much these guys got paid to make this.

It’s one thing to hear the Kemper on it’s own. Record with it and that’s when you’ll hear how the Kemper falls way short of the marketing claims.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
This sums up to zero. Nothing but Kempers typical marketing bullsh*t. I wonder how much these guys got paid to make this.

It’s one thing to hear the Kemper on it’s own. Record with it and that’s when you’ll hear how the Kemper falls way short of the marketing claims.
You know that Andertons isn’t affiliated with Kemper right? They’re just a shop, though of course they make money if they can get people to buy expensive gear like the Kemper.

You seem to have had a bad experience with the Kemper, but as far as I can see most people using the Kemper in most studios are in fact recording it and loving it. I record and love mine, it doesn’t “fall way short” of any marketing claims. I did of course profile my own amps with it and re-amp through both the real deal and the Kemper so I can compare side by side when I first got it and as much as I was biased against the idea of digital, once I could do a proper AB in my own space with my own equipment it became pretty clear that it does what they claim it does, very well indeed. It continues to sound the same in a mix too, which is unsurprising, in fact counter to your claim a solo instrument is much more revealing than a mix situation. There’s an old audio myth that combining multiple tracks of the same source will result in accentuation of its characteristics. This is bollocks and came about because in the days of analogue and tape bouncing down tracks would combine both the original noise and the additional noise of the new “bounce”, this doesn’t happen when mixing in the digital domain, the same proportions of noise, frequencies, transients etc will continue to exist between all of the tracks, it’s a simple weighted average, any accentuation is a product of mixing choices or different takes. Of course if you’re used to the sound of a Pod and want that then no, it’s not going to be for you, it does tube amps and that’s about it, so forget about over the top hyper compressed metal sounds that only exist in the digital domain with infinite sustain for those long legato sequences, for that you need something other than a profiler.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
patshep's Avatar
that video sounds like ass
Old 22nd August 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
You know that Andertons isn’t affiliated with Kemper right? They’re just a shop, though of course they make money if they can get people to buy expensive gear like the Kemper.

You seem to have had a bad experience with the Kemper, but as far as I can see most people using the Kemper in most studios are in fact recording it and loving it. I record and love mine, it doesn’t “fall way short” of any marketing claims. I did of course profile my own amps with it and re-amp through both the real deal and the Kemper so I can compare side by side when I first got it and as much as I was biased against the idea of digital, once I could do a proper AB in my own space with my own equipment it became pretty clear that it does what they claim it does, very well indeed. It continues to sound the same in a mix too, which is unsurprising, in fact counter to your claim a solo instrument is much more revealing than a mix situation. There’s an old audio myth that combining multiple tracks of the same source will result in accentuation of its characteristics. This is bollocks and came about because in the days of analogue and tape bouncing down tracks would combine both the original noise and the additional noise of the new “bounce”, this doesn’t happen when mixing in the digital domain, the same proportions of noise, frequencies, transients etc will continue to exist between all of the tracks, it’s a simple weighted average, any accentuation is a product of mixing choices or different takes. Of course if you’re used to the sound of a Pod and want that then no, it’s not going to be for you, it does tube amps and that’s about it, so forget about over the top hyper compressed metal sounds that only exist in the digital domain with infinite sustain for those long legato sequences, for that you need something other than a profiler.
I just think it’s ridiculously overhyped and overpriced for what you get. Gear and sound is a personal thing and if people are enjoying this and being inspired by it then that’s great. For me that was most certainly not the case.

As I said before the clean sounds were ok but once gain/distortion came in I thought it sounded terrible. To my ears there was a subtle but constant unpleasant distortion sound no matter what chord or what profile I played. I couldn’t tune my ears out of it. I ran it through great signal chains, converters, and tried several guitars with it and it always sounded like total sh*t to my ears. No matter what I did I could never find the sound I wanted.

Anybody who is thinking about buying a brand new one these days should really think twice. It’s overpriced for what you get and this technology is going to be outdated soon and there will be something hopefully much better available. There’s a good chance that in two years the used market will be flooded with these for well under 1k.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I just think it’s ridiculously overhyped and overpriced for what you get. Gear and sound is a personal thing and if people are enjoying this and being inspired by it then that’s great. For me that was most certainly not the case.

As I said before the clean sounds were ok but once gain/distortion came in I thought it sounded terrible. To my ears there was a subtle but constant unpleasant distortion sound no matter what chord or what profile I played. I couldn’t tune my ears out of it. I ran it through great signal chains, converters, and tried several guitars with it and it always sounded like total sh*t to my ears. No matter what I did I could never find the sound I wanted.

Anybody who is thinking about buying a brand new one these days should really think twice. It’s overpriced for what you get and this technology is going to be outdated soon and there will be something hopefully much better available. There’s a good chance that in two years the used market will be flooded with these for well under 1k.
Gringo, I don't mean to challenge your expertise or experience with the Kemper, but I think there was something amiss in your system in terms of monitors, profiles, computer hardware (sound card or interface) or the DAW you were using. I'm not looking for excuses why you had poor results, but I think it's likely there was something wrong with your system.

I record with my Kemper every day these days and it's incredible how it delivers the recorded sound of a mic'd tube amp, both clean and distorted. As a matter of fact, I've owned or used nearly every hardware/software amp sim prior to Kemper and the Kemper is the only one that delivers true distortion. I've done A/B tests and I've generally compared my recorded tracks at a studio to the Kemper and I don't hear a quality difference between recordings of my mic'd amp and the Kemper.

I'm not writing this to be confrontational and you don't have to defend your results but the Kemper actually does work and it's magnificent.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #22
Gear Addict
 

I'm going to go and test one, if i like it i'm going to buy the rack version.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Gringo, I don't mean to challenge your expertise or experience with the Kemper, but I think there was something amiss in your system in terms of monitors, profiles, computer hardware (sound card or interface) or the DAW you were using. I'm not looking for excuses why you had poor results, but I think it's likely there was something wrong with your system.

I record with my Kemper every day these days and it's incredible how it delivers the recorded sound of a mic'd tube amp, both clean and distorted. As a matter of fact, I've owned or used nearly every hardware/software amp sim prior to Kemper and the Kemper is the only one that delivers true distortion. I've done A/B tests and I've generally compared my recorded tracks at a studio to the Kemper and I don't hear a quality difference between recordings of my mic'd amp and the Kemper.

I'm not writing this to be confrontational and you don't have to defend your results but the Kemper actually does work and it's magnificent.
Hello Rictone. I’ve read your posts before and I know you’re a huge Kemper fan. Glad to hear that it’s working out for you so well.

I can guarantee you there is nothing amiss anywhere between my fingers and what comes out of the monitors. I am no expert but I know enough. I wanted to love the Kemper and I tried so many times. I held onto it for a couple years before I sold it. I live in an apartment and need something like the Kemper. But every single time I turned it on whatever inspiration I had was completely wiped out and replaced with frustration. I couldn’t find a way to remove this sound I kept hearing. It took me a while to realize that it’s a sound that comes with the Kemper and there was no way I could find to remove it. I can’t describe it I can’t find the right words but there was always something there that my ears couldn’t stand.

I didn’t hear it when I demoed it at the store. I didn’t hear it until I started to record with it and once my ears caught that sound it was all I heard whenever I turned it on. Maybe I have weird ears. Just my experience.

I took the money I made from selling it and bought a good ribbon microphone and an attenuator and couldn’t be happier considering the reality of my living situation.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Hello Rictone. I’ve read your posts before and I know you’re a huge Kemper fan. Glad to hear that it’s working out for you so well.

I can guarantee you there is nothing amiss anywhere between my fingers and what comes out of the monitors. I am no expert but I know enough. I wanted to love the Kemper and I tried so many times. I held onto it for a couple years before I sold it. I live in an apartment and need something like the Kemper. But every single time I turned it on whatever inspiration I had was completely wiped out and replaced with frustration. I couldn’t find a way to remove this sound I kept hearing. It took me a while to realize that it’s a sound that comes with the Kemper and there was no way I could find to remove it. I can’t describe it I can’t find the right words but there was always something there that my ears couldn’t stand.

I didn’t hear it when I demoed it at the store. I didn’t hear it until I started to record with it and once my ears caught that sound it was all I heard whenever I turned it on. Maybe I have weird ears. Just my experience.

I took the money I made from selling it and bought a good ribbon microphone and an attenuator and couldn’t be happier considering the reality of my living situation.
Hi Gringo, I do believe what you heard was real but I can't imagine what it was.

I'm glad you are getting great results from an amp and attenuator.

Variety is the spice of life. I could easily buy a 2nd Kemper and gig it but my live rig consists of an Egnater Tweaker 15W > Rivera Mini Rockrec load box > FOH main mix.

It's all about people finding the positive things that motivate them moving forward with their music.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #25
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Gringo, I don't mean to challenge your expertise or experience with the Kemper, but I think there was something amiss in your system in terms of monitors, profiles, computer hardware (sound card or interface) or the DAW you were using. I'm not looking for excuses why you had poor results, but I think it's likely there was something wrong with your system.

I record with my Kemper every day these days and it's incredible how it delivers the recorded sound of a mic'd tube amp, both clean and distorted. As a matter of fact, I've owned or used nearly every hardware/software amp sim prior to Kemper and the Kemper is the only one that delivers true distortion. I've done A/B tests and I've generally compared my recorded tracks at a studio to the Kemper and I don't hear a quality difference between recordings of my mic'd amp and the Kemper.

I'm not writing this to be confrontational and you don't have to defend your results but the Kemper actually does work and it's magnificent.
I had my Engl mic'ed up with a single SM57, recorded it and it sounded amazing / also took a DI out from a Suhr Reactive put it through an IR.. It sounded a little more in your face / a little more fake but still sounded great..

Then without touching the mic's profiled the amp and the same issues with every Kemper recording I've ever heard occurs. I get aliasing and a somewhat phasey weaker version of what I've put through it.

Now I've had two Kempers, I bought one when they were released and I bought another a couple of years after..

I'm not new to amps / guitars, been recording them for decades and I've tried a lot of digital solutions..

You're not the only one that's done extensive A/B testing.. As for monitors / soundcards etc. I have Dynaudio LYD-48's / Trident HG3's in an acoustically vetted room, I run it through a Neve Shelford channel into a choice of both MOTU1248 and A&H GSR 24M..

DAW's are Pro Tools and Samplitude..

So, if you can't hear it from one of the many mass examples that's fine you keep rocking but don't tell others what they should think..!
Old 22nd August 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
I had my Engl mic'ed up with a single SM57, recorded it and it sounded amazing / also took a DI out from a Suhr Reactive put it through an IR.. It sounded a little more in your face / a little more fake but still sounded great..

Then without touching the mic's profiled the amp and the same issues with every Kemper recording I've ever heard occurs. I get aliasing and a somewhat phasey weaker version of what I've put through it.

Now I've had two Kempers, I bought one when they were released and I bought another a couple of years after..

I'm not new to amps / guitars, been recording them for decades and I've tried a lot of digital solutions..

You're not the only one that's done extensive A/B testing.. As for monitors / soundcards etc. I have Dynaudio LYD-48's / Trident HG3's in an acoustically vetted room, I run it through a Neve Shelford channel into a choice of both MOTU1248 and A&H GSR 24M..

DAW's are Pro Tools and Samplitude..

So, if you can't hear it from one of the many mass examples that's fine you keep rocking but don't tell others what they should think..!
Oh man, I go way out of my way to not tell people what to think, that is too funny, I guess I have to try harder lol. No offense of course @ ShadowAMD , I find your comment interesting.

On another note @ ShadowAMD , when you had your Kempers did you buy/use professional profiles other than your own? I profiled my own rigs and never had any aliasing or phase issues.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #27
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Oh man, I go way out of my way to not tell people what to think, that is too funny, I guess I have to try harder lol. No offense of course @ ShadowAMD , I find your comment interesting.

On another note @ ShadowAMD , when you had your Kempers did you buy/use professional profiles other than your own? I profiled my own rigs and never had any aliasing or phase issues.
I bought / tried tons from the likes of Sinmix / Re-amp zone / Amp Factory and Tonehammer..

I profiled my own ENGL Savage 60, Peavey 5150, Engl Retrotube and Mesa Triple Rec..

As you can probably tell by now I mainly do hard rock / metal and for lead guitars I can't say I'm that fussy TBH, I could easily get away with Amplitube and just smother it in FX..

It's rhythm guitar where it hurts the most, you only have the dry recording and you have to push it nearly to the front in glorious stereo.. That's where the Kemper for me just falls on it's behind..

I will admit as far as digital solutions go it's the most natural feeling by far, I just couldn't get on with the sound..

P.S It's not like I don't want digital solutions to work either or I'm a "purist", I'd happily sell all my amps if I could compact it down into a single box and then profit.. Like with the LA-2A clones, I bought a STAM SA-2A to replace my LA-2A..

Last edited by Deleted 6ccb844; 22nd August 2018 at 01:24 PM..
Old 22nd August 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
I bought / tried tons from the likes of Sinmix / Re-amp zone / Amp Factory and Tonehammer..

I profiled my own ENGL Savage 60, Peavey 5150, Engl Retrotube and Mesa Triple Rec..

As you can probably tell by now I mainly do hard rock / metal and for lead guitars I can't say I'm that fussy TBH, I could easily get away with Amplitube and just smother it in FX..

It's rhythm guitar where it hurts the most, you only have the dry recording and you have to push it nearly to the front in glorious stereo.. That's where the Kemper for me just falls on it's behind..

I will admit as far as digital solutions go it's the most natural feeling by far, I just couldn't get on with the sound..

P.S It's not like I don't want digital solutions to work either or I'm a "purist", I'd happily sell all my amps if I could compact it down into a single box and then profit.. Like with the LA-2A clones, I bought a STAM SA-2A to replace my LA-2A..
I totally agree regarding if you are talking about rhythm tracks sounding like a phasing problem. On rhythm tracks for me, one specific guitar, a Gibson Tennessean, has given problems sounding as if it was out of phase in the mix, but isolating the specific track reveals that it is not actually a Pro Tools or Kemper phasing problem. In this case, my Tennessean just sounds tubby and phasey on its own.
Old 22nd August 2018
  #29
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I totally agree regarding if you are talking about rhythm tracks sounding like a phasing problem. On rhythm tracks for me, one specific guitar, a Gibson Tennessean, has given problems sounding as if it was out of phase in the mix, but isolating the specific track reveals that it is not actually a Pro Tools or Kemper phasing problem. In this case, my Tennessean just sounds tubby and phasey on its own.
Well it sounds absoutley fine through a Helix, DI, or through any of my amps when mic'd up.. Using the same guitar and the same DAW.

If I solo one of the Kemper recordings it does sound somewhat phasey and aliased, pushing the dry tracks to the front of a mix makes it sound ten times worse..

I have zero issues with any other solution so the only logical conclusion is it's the Kemper.

It would be interesting to see if you can actually hear it though.. This guy has more experience with guitars and amps than most. What do you think?

Old 22nd August 2018
  #30
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Well it sounds absoutley fine through a Helix, DI, or through any of my amps when mic'd up.. Using the same guitar and the same DAW.

If I solo one of the Kemper recordings it does sound somewhat phasey and aliased, pushing the dry tracks to the front of a mix makes it sound ten times worse..

I have zero issues with any other solution so the only logical conclusion is it's the Kemper.

It would be interesting to see if you can actually hear it though.. This guy has more experience with guitars and amps than most. What do you think?

The first 22 seconds he evidently uses an intended phase effect.

23 seconds on and the video is disappointing in terms of thin dynamics which is probably the fault of YouTube. I can't ascertain phasing problems past 23 seconds due to the fact of YouTube bandwidth.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump