The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is your dream electric 12-string guitar? Electric Guitar
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deern View Post
This has been an awesome read, thanks guys!
Wow—do you have any videos of it being played?
No but it has been used on several LP's and CD's over the years plus many live shows in the LA area. I played it at the 1979 LA "Street Scene" on the main stage. I think there was a pic of us in the LA Times.

Garry Goodman supplied some special .006 gauge strings for it. That way the B string has an octave string instead of two normal B strings.

Anyone else have a 12 string with an octave B string on it?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Ric' 360/12 > balls-to-the-wall distorted Marshall > John McLaughlin mixolydian lightning licks > sonic stamp annihilated.

It's all about what you do with it.
Yeah. Same answer as 'Which mic do you prefer for guitar?' 'It's the source, dude!!'.

Yes, it's all about what you do with it but I bet your scenario above might actually sound better on a $400 Danelectro rather than a +2000$ Rickenbacker.

And as much as I love The Byrds and Roger Mc Guinn, I heard a live take of 'Johnny B- Goode' or 'Roll over Beethoven' where he played the intro on his Ricky 12-string. It sounded TERRIBLE.

By the way, also pay attention to the 'octave scheme' on 12-Strings. My Danelectro has the octave strings 'below' the normal strings. So with a normal right-handed downstroke the octave is nearest to you and is being hit first. I'm not sure if Rickenbacker has it always like that, experts might chime in. Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Yeah. Same answer as 'Which mic do you prefer for guitar?' 'It's the source, dude!!'.

Yes, it's all about what you do with it but I bet your scenario above might actually sound better on a $400 Danelectro rather than a +2000$ Rickenbacker.

And as much as I love The Byrds and Roger Mc Guinn, I heard a live take of 'Johnny B- Goode' or 'Roll over Beethoven' where he played the intro on his Ricky 12-string. It sounded TERRIBLE.
You would lose that bet. I think Danos sound great... but play awful. Some people think the same of Ric'. I really don't give a s**t that someone else couldn't make it sound good, and no one else should either. Personally, the only reaction I get from others is.... "!!!!!!! WANT!". Distorted lead 12 string is the best.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You would lose that bet. I think Danos sound great... but play awful.
Got a set up by a great luthier and my Dano plays great. So does any other guitar that guy has set up.

Quote:
Distorted lead 12 string is the best.
Especially for those that sell hearing aids. (Sung with as much strain as you can manage) 'Take me down to Tinnitus City...'
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
No but it has been used on several LP's and CD's over the years plus many live shows in the LA area. I played it at the 1979 LA "Street Scene" on the main stage. I think there was a pic of us in the LA Times.

Garry Goodman supplied some special .006 gauge strings for it. That way the B string has an octave string instead of two normal B strings.

Anyone else have a 12 string with an octave B string on it?
No, but I'm intrigued.

(Mis-spoke last time, I use .008s, not .08s.)

.006s!!! That's fairy dust! Love it! Still plenty of signal for the pickups IMO. Must be tricky to set up so they don't flop around. Gave up playing .008s on 6 string long ago, double 6's should work. How does one acquire a set of .006s from GG and how does one acquire a new set every time you want to change custom strings?

Pics and clips... you have soooo got to do that.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Lefty here, so the choice is limited (as are the funds) but i,m jonesin for a Jones.
I may ask them if they do a special order for a Lefty. I like their baritones as well.
Jerry Jones

For now though its the Revelation 12 string. Great bang for buck and i really like the necks on their guitars. I need to do a new nut. and string it Ricky style, just to compare the difference in playing.

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Got a set up by a great luthier and my Dano plays great. So does any other guitar that guy has set up.

Especially for those that sell hearing aids. (Sung with as much strain as you can manage) 'Take me down to Tinnitus City...'
Never liked the flatter neck radius.

I suppose that's true of any distorted guitar sound. Whaddya gonna do? <shrugs>
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

BTW - If you're looking for inexpensive, Agile should be a consideration. I hear the owner of Rondo is a d**k though.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I've owned 3 Ric 12 strings that I bought new at various times. For my dream sound on studio recordings, the rics didn't do it and I can't even remember the two types I owned... The first two were the McGuinn type and then, after being frustrated with those, I bought the slightly smaller/more solid-body model.. and it was better but I just couldn't deal with it. Plus, Ric 12-strings just never felt right to me.... including the way they position thick/thin strings in what I consider backwards placement.

Danelectros are sometimes interesting and cheap but when I pick one up to try, it just doesn't have any sort of sound I can actually use in the studio.

I've tried a bunch of odd-ball recommendations over the years that I also didn't like.... many probably suggested here at GS.

All that being said..... the absolutely best sounding dream 12 for every track I ever recorded it on (where a 12 was what I needed) remains to this day the rare Firebird 12. I still solo tracks I recorded with one of those in the 1970s and the sound (through various amps, including Marshall jmps cranked to 11 on some tracks) is just.... everything I could ever want. Good luck finding one though. Much less at 2 grand.

What I find as a runner-up to the Firebird.... sort of kind of....sometimes.... is/are the occasional Gibson SG style 12s that are released from time to time (maybe even being made now... I haven't been checking). I can often get those to work on recordings.... plus.... the strings/octave strings are placed the way my fingers prefer feeling them. Unlike a Ric.

I abhore the double-neck Gibson approach to 12s, but like I say, when Gibson does a single-neck SG 12, that is better for me to use than pretty much any other brand/model.

Oh yeah, I owned a Gretsch 12 which Gretsch gave to me for free..... which I'm sure I've discussed somewhere around the forums at one time or another. Hated that 12 string. Didn't feel right, didn't record well, had no personality to speak of etc etc.

Oooh though, that Firebird.

Another thing about electric 12 strings too while I'm rambling a zillion sentences......

A player of electric 12-string guitars is doing a HUGE disservice to him/herself if he/she does not truly investigate the wonderful tones a good electric 12 can do by USING A CAPO. And then playing your parts (whatever they are....and I'm talkin about intelligent ideas... not a bunch of bar chords) with the capo on.

and further to that.... with the capo on.......... put the pick down sometimes and play your invented parts with a plastic thumb pick and three metal fingerpicks on your right hand..... and a judicious amount of compression...... and ...well... there's more. But... what was the question?

Oh yeah, 12 string electrics for less than 2 grand.

No idea what to recommend.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
... and a judicious amount of compression....
Yes. In 99% of all situations, I record 12-string with a compressor pedal and DI. For me, that's the secret. Unlike regular electric guitar where it's easy to wimp out the sound with compression, electric 12-string pretty much demands compression to get a balanced and rich sound.

Without compression my cheapo Dano sound pretty bland but I found that to be true for most 12-strings. I once had a JangleBox pedal which I hated. Now I use an AnalogMan BiComprossor with the 'Ricky' option. Basically a treble boost you can engage with a small toggle switch.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search