The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone Using (or interested in) This Practice/Composing tool?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Anyone Using (or interested in) This Practice/Composing tool?

Greetz
I recently became aware of this app originally made, as the video below says, for iPad and iPhone but I am very seriously considering building a live USB system (works on Android now) just so I can play around with this seemingly amazing tool.

I'm posting here to discover what others experiences are and I welcome any examples you might link.

Basic

Advanced

I don't own any Apple hardware and have no affiliation with anyone selling anything. I just think this is a huge leap in tools for Music and want to hear a lot more about it.
Old 2 days ago
Looks good, although I always feel these kinds of things would be better suited to a desktop interface than a mobile/tablet. You would also would need some way of getting the audio out to your monitors, or at least a bluetooth speaker, as no iPhone or iPad speaker is gonna cut it for jamming along to at regular levels.
Old 2 days ago
Putting it on a phone is a huge leap backwards IMO. Phones have relatively poor audio. They have relatively little storage and the processing power, although amazing for a phone, is still the equivalent of a 15 year old desktop. It's probably great as a "sketch pad" but for performance? I don't think so.

If it uses bluetooth for outside communication that's a big strike against. Bluetooth audio is terrrible.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Looks good, although I always feel these kinds of things would be better suited to a desktop interface than a mobile/tablet. You would also would need some way of getting the audio out to your monitors, or at least a bluetooth speaker, as no iPhone or iPad speaker is gonna cut it for jamming along to at regular levels.
Good point. That was a concern of mine as well which is partly why I intend to try RemixOS which will boot a modified Android OpSys on a desktop or laptop PC. Here's an overview ====>>

--- How To Install Android on a PC ---

I expect to have this running on a USB thumbdrive for a Father's Day project right after the major Grille Out :P I will post here a follow up to let everyone know if once on a PC there are normal audio options available. If that works then I intend to "pay the piper" and try this out. I may even do that even if Bluetooth is the only choice since I have to figure that even rinky-dink audio beats a click track for practice and the learning possible with actual chord charts, transposition etc beats and drum machine or looper I've ever witnessed.

Incidentally this is much easier for Mac (obviously) and Windows users (not so obvious) through the use of (free!) emulators. There's quite a few examples out there but I chose this one because the guy making the video is new to the whole process just like we are so he takes time showing what will likely be common for us at first.

Last edited by enorbet2; 2 days ago at 01:53 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Putting it on a phone is a huge leap backwards IMO. Phones have relatively poor audio. They have relatively little storage and the processing power, although amazing for a phone, is still the equivalent of a 15 year old desktop. It's probably great as a "sketch pad" but for performance? I don't think so.

If it uses bluetooth for outside communication that's a big strike against. Bluetooth audio is terrrible.
As you may now see I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not a smartphone fan. I'm far too dug in with large screen and big audio. I've heard a few products like JBL makes to grow phone audio and they work pretty well but are a pale shadow of my PC's sound and a 32 inch screen... well duh!

Just so we don't go off on a phone flame tangent I recognize that they can do great stuff when one is in one's car but I prefer power over convenience when it's just a few steps away. Maybe tablets will someday catch up but for now I'm mos def a PC kinda guy. Shoot! Even my Thinkpad is totally neglected it is so rarely used anymore.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Saw this on That Pedal Show and bought it a while back. I haven’t used it much.
I was under the impression it would show tab for guitar scales to go along with the chord progression. It only shows music notation for scales, which I can figure out fairly quickly from the names of the scales and honestly it would probably be better practice for me but a good tab interface for scales showing the intervals etc going along with the chord changes would be awfully nice. Just showing 1-2 positions of the scale (because showing the whole fretboard would take up too much screw real estate, and would be confusing.
It’s what I expected for the price I paid.

That said, it does have a lot of features that are pretty cool.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Thank you, Trevz, for the feedback. That's exactly what I'd hoped for so I and others get a feel for the type of player or level of expertise that it works for and/or limits. I hope working with it over time starts letting you see different "tabs" as soon as you see the chord name. That may end up being particularly valuable in expanding on your versatility and creativity... even though it may hold you back for awhile. I certainly hope it doesn't become a deal breaker for you. One of the reasons I'm looking into it is to expand and improve my options for inversions... a bit of a "test bed".
Old 2 days ago
They seem to still be updating the iOS version regularly so you should add feature requests. Worth a try.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Just downloaded and installed on my PC using BlueStacks. This thing is cool. Wish it would midi out to my VSTi's. Or can it? Gotta dig in and study it some.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Just downloaded and installed on my PC using BlueStacks. This thing is cool. Wish it would midi out to my VSTi's. Or can it? Gotta dig in and study it some.
Please keep us posted! and thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search