The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RnB Guitar guitars/ffx/pedals etc... Acoustic Guitars
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

RnB Guitar guitars/ffx/pedals etc...

The good news is I'm getting better at chording and learning different voicings. I've committed to a practice routine and I'm working on my musicianship/theory simultaneously.

The bad news is guitars/basses bring on an entirely new level of Gearslutting. This shiznit is expensive and addictive. So far, I have a mexican Strat, an epiphone acoustic, an old Jazz bass that's a hybrid of bootleg parts and a Lakland 55-01. I want to pick up a nylon string guitar, a Pbass (among other things).

Outside of my crybaby pedal, I know nothing about amps/pedals, obviously there are different brands of OD/chorus/multi effects etc... Knowing nothing about it, the options seem overwhelming. My end goal is recording producing funk/Rnb with a hip hop influence. Where should I begin with learning guitar related effects/pedals? I don't necessarily want to buy the most expensive stuff, but I don't want junk that I'll end up throwing out for better things later.

What are the staples? if any? What things would you consider must have? Since I'm doing more recording than gigging should I look for plugin effects (I get the feeling pedals allow a lot more control, but I'm only guessing from observation at this stage).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Wow! Funk/RnB with Hip Hop influence covers a LOT of sonic territory. A person can learn a lot from plugins and some are even free. At the very least you can learn if a type of effect suits you and inspires you. To that end also you can get at least a clue as to what is possible by auditioning effects on YouTube and other such sites that feature demos. One of which I am very fond is That Pedal Show because they are really good players with a fairly wide range of styles, have massive experience with pedals, decent understanding of the technology and they take their time being very careful to put pedals through a lot of paces (settings and combinations) to give us a through comparison. Plus, they also compare expnsive boutique pedals (and amps and guitars, too) as well as budget alternatives.

Here's just a sample of a few at budget prices

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Wow! Funk/RnB with Hip Hop influence covers a LOT of sonic territory. A person can learn a lot from plugins and some are even free. At the very least you can learn if a type of effect suits you and inspires you. To that end also you can get at least a clue as to what is possible by auditioning effects on YouTube and other such sites that feature demos. One of which I am very fond is That Pedal Show because they are really good players with a fairly wide range of styles, have massive experience with pedals, decent understanding of the technology and they take their time being very careful to put pedals through a lot of paces (settings and combinations) to give us a through comparison. Plus, they also compare expnsive boutique pedals (and amps and guitars, too) as well as budget alternatives.

Here's just a sample of a few at budget prices

Cool, I'll check out the program.

Thanks!
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search