The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good first Fender Telecaster? Electric Guitar
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Nut
Ok guys, so second store in and I think I might have struck gold.

Brand new (mexican made) Classic Player 60's Baja Tele - £500. The cheapest I've seen these online for is £750ish. Really love the look of the thing.

The guy told me he's been told to get rid of this particular model quickly because it's the last of a certain type of fingerboard (rosewood I think) and that these have all been replaced by a new type of wood. This could all be a saleman's yarn, of course, but he did seem genuine.

Too good too be true? He's said he'll keep it to one side till the end of the day...
Old 13th June 2018
Nah it's true, Fender have moved nearly all dark fingerboards to Pau Ferro or Ebony due to the Rosewood becoming endangered/illegal/CITES required for export etc. My Elite Strat was the last model with Rosewood, 2017.

That looks like a good deal, go for it if you like it!
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear
I wouldn't get a Telecaster with a Rosewood fretboard. I like the bald necked teles. Strats I like the Rosewood, but teles twang better with the maple board. I think it's the Nashville tele I wanted, it has a humbucker, a single coil and the lipstick bar pickups. I used to have a "California" telecaster that I really liked, had a humbucker in the neck and single coil in the bridge. I would want a humbucker in a tele again, but I also really like the lipstick neck pickup and the single coil in the bridge. It was a tossup between the baja and the nashville for me, but my uncle bought an American Standard blonde and natural, and that was the end of cheap tele coveting. Going to wait until I can match a real tele to my Jeff Beck strat.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof View Post

Brand new (mexican made) Classic Player 60's Baja Tele - £500. The cheapest I've seen these online for is £750ish. Really love the look of the thing.
Really like the colour, havent seen those. Sounds like a great deal, I only paid £20 less for my (barely) used Baja.
Old 13th June 2018
I wouldn’t buy any guitar without a rosewood fingerboard (ebony excepted). Been that way on all my guitars and basses for over 30 years! More of an aesthetic and feel thing admittedy though, than sonics based. My Tele has rosewood and sounds great.
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear

Must it be specifically a Fender?

For instance, the Schecter PT seems to be pretty well thought of (good enough for pete townsend) and IIRC Yamaha makes/made an ok Tele clone.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cheers mate - now you've got me gasing for a Strat as well as a tele, and I can't play a note yet!
:D

My friend who owns one of these is actually a Tele guy. But this model particularly doesn't sound much like a strat.

Its a bit flat sounding on a dry guitar amp but more friendly with fx or heavier distortion, so you get less traditional feel from it as a guitarist but a great tool for sound creation (even without the sustainer active).

But if you want a real guitar vibe in your music any Tele is great, so I'd say don't miss great deals if you come across any.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
I wouldn’t buy any guitar without a rosewood fingerboard (ebony excepted). Been that way on all my guitars and basses for over 30 years! More of an aesthetic and feel thing admittedy though, than sonics based. My Tele has rosewood and sounds great.
Agree with you on pretty much any guitar or bass except a Tele. The boardless maple neck really enhances that loose intonation twangy thing that only Teles do perfectly (perfect at being imperfect haha). Rosewood fretboards kind of damp the partial overtones, in a good way on most guitars. Les Paul tone is very dependent on a thick, dense fretboard. Helps produce clear steady fundamentals with a simple, defined harmonic structure and practically eternal sustain. It's a beauty borne of precision and consistency with Les Pauls and Stratocasters, and I think that's what makes them easier to sample and simulate.

A "bald" neck lends a kind of unpredictable, chaotically dynamic yet complex harmonic structure so that even the same note has a different distinction every time you fret it slightly differently. Learning how to use that is a huge part of what gives Telecasters such a unique voice, allowing for tons of creative expression with even the most simple leads and open chord rhythms, in my opinion. It also gives them that "beating" modulation and mid-range jangley-twangy strumming sound. It's almost like playing a perfectly intonated guitar and a guitar that's slightly out at the same time. Kind of a natural chorus/phaser effect, that I've found the bald necks really emphasize dramatically; especially with brass 3-piece bridges.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

The guy told me he's been told to get rid of this particular model quickly because it's the last of a certain type of fingerboard (rosewood I think) and that these have all been replaced by a new type of wood. This could all be a saleman's yarn, of course, but he did seem genuine.

Too good too be true? He's said he'll keep it to one side till the end of the day...
Grab it. Great guitar, excellent price!
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Addict

That's a good price for that guitar. I have the Classic Player 50's Baja Tele and it's a helluva guitar for the money. For your interests (Radiohead etc...) having the added 4th pickup setting (the neck+bridge in series) is a real boon. FWIW the Baja teles also get a lot of love on the big tele forum TDPRI Home | Telecaster Guitar Forum. If it doesn't work out for you, you should be able to recoup most of that purchase price re-selling it again.

Good luck with whatever guitar you get!
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Agree on not going with rosewood for a tele. And also, why go new, even if discounted, when you can do better and cheaper used? By all means, go with what turns you on, but at this point, you will have little basis for discerning quality, as a beginner. Might want to get a good player to go with you to a store where you can compare them through a decent revealing amp like a Deluxe Reverb. As I said earlier, in my direct comparison, the MIM tele sounded nasty in comparison with the American ones. I didn't even like the American Standard, though it was an improvement on the Mexican. The Deluxe had a depth and beauty to it missing in the others. I didn't compare to the Squire. What a person prefers is personal anyway. You might do better to go with the much cheaper Squire Classic Vibe that others are raving about here, and replace the PUPs when you get your bearings. Anyone compare the stock PUPs with Seymour Duncans and/or Fralins directly that would care to comment on what they heard? Aside from the sound, how is the workmanship on the Squier Classic Vibe compared to the MIM or American. I don't remember disliking the workmanship on the Mex and American Standard. It was just the sound that was rougher on the cheaper ones. Considering you can get a used Squier Classic Vibe for around $300 it seems like a great way to get your feet wet.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Head

If you like it, get it!

Quote:

Baja necks are wonderful, IMO. Looks great.

The only thing that matters is if the guitar speaks to you. If it does, then snap it up. Stop listening to all the superfluous boogie we're throwing at you!
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

^ spot on my surrealist friend The best guitar to learn on is the one that looks good, feels good and sounds good to you. Because that way you'll keep picking it up and playing it, and like most skills in life the hours you put in are 95% of it
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

A rosewood fretboard is entirely insignificant in this situation. Great guitar, decent pickups, excellent price, and ya gotta love a brand new guitar with warranty. If a few years down the road the OP decides he'd like the glassy tones of a maple fretboard he can easily swap in a different neck.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theactor19 View Post
Would get a good used Made in Japan Fender Tele. Some good ones out there that would fit your price range and be comparable to a Made in America
Yeah. I've had a dozen or more of these over the years, and they are top shelf guitars. Prefer the 80's models, but 90's are also great guitars for not a lot of cash.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
f'ing GS, man

did you skip over the part where he hasn't even learned to play yet?
No s**t. Some pretty thick people here. Did you skip over the part where I mention all the guitars I mentioned are great as is, just a little harder to find. Nothing is perfect for everyone and perhaps he may want to mod later. The guitars I mentioned fall within his price range and are probably subjectively better than the ones mentioned previously.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear
All the very expensive Relic line have rosewood fretboards only. If you look on the Wildwood site, theres a weight comparison of all the finishes and lines and there's huge variation in weight and size of necks. There is a difference of half a pound for instance in weight between the the Rosewood and Maple Am Pro models of same Finish. That's significant, although measuring another guitar will be different weight also. There's no real consistency in that fine of a measurement, so every guitar is different.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Addict

i found a '52 reissue on reverb.com for under 900 us dollars last year, it's a very nice guitar, but i've also played nice cheap mexican teles, look at used fernandes or tokai also, i crack up when i see the prices on teles, because there is nothing more 'working class' than a tele, it's two pieces of wood bolted togeter.... absolutely nothing fancy, that being said if i was a rich man i could spend plenty on one... but it would not increase my tone in any noticeable way
Old 14th June 2018
Quote:
"Now who can argue with THAT"? ~ Howard Johnson, Blazing Saddles
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut
So I took the plunge and bought the Baja.

Appreciate people's perspectives on old vs new, fretboard material etc and have pondered them all. At the end of the day this is the one that's calling to me here and now, and that seems to be a key thing.

I'm sure my tastes will change if and when I get further down the line, but my thinking is that the guitar that inspires me most *now* is the one that will get me practicing most. If I don't get on with it or evolve past it (seems a distant prospect!) it seems like I should be able to flip it on for the price I paid (maybe even with a small profit!) so hopefully a no-lose situation!
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
If you want a good course I can highly recommend the Justin Guitar site, I've been slowly working my way through his Beginner and Intermediate courses the last two years, and it's been superb.
Thanks a lot for this - first time I'd come across it, and it seems like a great, structured approach I can use to get going! Any more tips like this most welcome...
Old 15th June 2018
No worries. I'd been playing about 10 years but never took any lessons or had a serious practice routine, and wasn't really getting anywhere, so I decided to take things a bit more seriously and started the Justin Beginner Course about two years ago. I am now on the final stage of the Intermediate Foundation, and it's been a fabulous way to learn, for me.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I took the plunge and bought the Baja.

Appreciate people's perspectives on old vs new, fretboard material etc and have pondered them all. At the end of the day this is the one that's calling to me here and now, and that seems to be a key thing.

I'm sure my tastes will change if and when I get further down the line, but my thinking is that the guitar that inspires me most *now* is the one that will get me practicing most. If I don't get on with it or evolve past it (seems a distant prospect!) it seems like I should be able to flip it on for the price I paid (maybe even with a small profit!) so hopefully a no-lose situation!
Congrat's! No doubt you will really enjoy that guitar.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Have fun! Know what you're gonna play it through yet?
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Have fun! Know what you're gonna play it through yet?
Have got a Laney L5 on the way...
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Bon Voyage!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search