The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the Fender Twin Reverb worth it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
I am an electronics tech by trade. I don't specifically "like" modding; I'd rather be playing. But I want my stuff to respond "correctly", i.e., how I want it to, to my playing. Sometimes I don't have money to throw at it, OR the options I wish don't exist in the marketplace, so I have to do it myself. For instance: of my 13 guitars, 3 are unmodified, and 2 of those are acoustics... wait - no. I replaced the nuts on two of those. So 1 acoustic is unmodified. Sheesh; I didn't realize that until just now.

My current amps aren't modded, although I've repaired them. Both are Pearce; one was cable replacement (a known issue with the G2r), and the other was a fixed switch on the G1 (it got hit by a tornado in Florida).

I don't know if Jim ever replaced the transformer or not; shortly after that, I moved from Florida to Texas, and lost touch. I still have, and use, those hihats. Zildjian A New Beats are good cymbals.
What kinds of music do you favor? Being an electronic tech must be very good for a musician these days. I'm more of an electronic/digital immigrant; anything past replacing a power-cord and I'm in strange waters.

Pretty good if your amp was a tornado victim and only needed a switch replacement!

Haha, 13 guitars! You and I share a weakness.

View most liked answer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

ping norfolk martin - I should have stipulated that I meant NOBODY in the band wearing them. Just like the cliche of trying to talk to someone wearing enclosed headphones and when they respond they yell without realizing it. I wouldn't want any of my band members "yelling" because they are unaware of how loud they are. It is somewhat like having no monitors or weak monitors. It's almost guaranteed you will blow your voice out in short order.

To be absolutely clear I want volumes loud enough so that patrons carrying on conversations is pretty much impossible but I don't want to damage anyone's ears. Most importantly i want the Music to be an emotional and physical pleasure. Volume should serve the Music, not someone's ego and detachment of any kind can ruin that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
What kinds of music do you favor? Being an electronic tech must be very good for a musician these days. I'm more of an electronic/digital immigrant; anything past replacing a power-cord and I'm in strange waters.

Pretty good if your amp was a tornado victim and only needed a switch replacement!

Haha, 13 guitars! You and I share a weakness.
Prog rock and fusion are my favourites.

As far as the amp, when I took the lid off, I literally POURED water out of it. Took a hair dryer to it, then let it sit open for a week. Worked fine, except for the goobered switch. The amp was blown from stage left to OFF the right of the stage lying on the ground. I was shocked it survived.

Yeah, 13. But I'm getting ready to pare it down. I've got a few sentimentals (my first guitar from my parents, a couple my wife encouraged me to buy), but other than that, do I NEED 13 guitars? No.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I worked myself down to 7 guitars, but going below that is more difficult. Functionally I have an archtop, an acoustic, an older strat that does not leave the house, a tele for gigging, a fretless bass and two fretted bass.
Old 1 week ago
Boy Scout motto: be prepared. I wore earplugs since the 1970's. I toured with Stevie Wonder for several years and wore them religiously. Same playing in bands. I still wear them and still play on "11" too. I also shoot high powered rifles.

My last hearing test last November showed I have the hearing of an 18 year old, actually better as most teens now show hearing damage from ear buds. I'm 65 so it can be done if you take caution.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Boy Scout motto: be prepared. I wore earplugs since the 1970's. I toured with Stevie Wonder for several years and wore them religiously. Same playing in bands. I still wear them and still play on "11" too. I also shoot high powered rifles.

My last hearing test last November showed I have the hearing of an 18 year old, actually better as most teens now show hearing damage from ear buds. I'm 65 so it can be done if you take caution.
Excellent advice. I am encouraged that a lot of the younger musicians I occasionally work with seem far more aware of the danger of hearing damage than I was at their age
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Did you sing?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm actually glad for you that your hearing is still in such good shape. Now maybe it's because I won some sort of Genetics Lottery (my Dad died at age 89 and one year before we were eating dinner and he clumsily and accidentally backhanded a salt shaker.. and snatched it up in the air before it hit the floor. My Mom is still alive and well.)

.... or maybe it's because as soon as my band started playing venues larger than 200 I put together a very serious PA with a superb monitor system allowing me to continue using my 30 Watt - Single 12 amp everywhere and being the bandleader I could demand that nobody use earplugs so everybody was aware of how loud we were at least onstage but the fact remains that I, too, still have excellent hearing out to 16K at age 72.

The point is there is more than one way to protect your hearing. Choose and stick to it like a pitbull. What can possibly be more valuable to a musician than hearing?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Did you sing?
Backups only. The guitar did most of the singing. On "11" too. I did bring a bowl of foam earplugs to club gigs and left it at the front for patrons.

BTW, A great fix/mod for any Twin Reverb or Fender Reverb amp/box is to replace the Type 4 Accutronics 2 spring "long" tank with the Type 9 3 spring "medium" reverb tank. It has plate like qualities. Electro Harmonix sells them.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Backups only. The guitar did most of the singing. On "11" too. I did bring a bowl of foam earplugs to club gigs and left it at the front for patrons.

BTW, A great fix/mod for any Twin Reverb or Fender Reverb amp/box is to replace the Type 4 Accutronics 2 spring "long" tank with the Type 9 3 spring "medium" reverb tank. It has plate like qualities. Electro Harmonix sells them.
The reason I ask is because I can't sing worth a @#$% with earplugs in. It just doesn't work. IEMs I can handle, but just earplugs? No.

It's not that I'm that great to begin with. But I can't balance or harmonize with earplugs in.
Old 5 days ago
Ever try in ear monitors? Those work great.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Never in Vogue, find a good old Peavey SS amp & find a pedal that works well for you. Cheap, reliable & rely on your pedal for sound. Also look at those old Laney amps. They made some great SS amps that really hold their own.
I personally play through a small fender 10, at home, & a Tweed Clone for rehearsal/live. The old tweed fenders really sound great, in comparison to the Twins & Supers. Those two amps have reverb tanks, vibrato & can be heard from the other side of the continent. The tweed is loud enough for just about anything & really a great sounding amp for anything rock to punk to.... Mine is a little 5e3. Way more solid at volume than a deluxe reverb I had. Tube amps can sound great but, a good Solid State amp can still be great, as well. & more reliable....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
find a good old Peavey SS amp
No such thing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ever try in ear monitors? Those work great.
Uh, that's what "IEM" means...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
No such thing.
You might be surprised; they did alright with a couple of them. No, not perfect, not as good as the Pearce product, but pretty good for minuscule coin.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No such thing.
Ever play pedal steel?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
Tube amps can sound great but, a good Solid State amp can still be great, as well. & more reliable....
"Good" is entirely subjective but most agree some SS amps are at least serviceable instruments. "Reliable" OTOH is objective and the historical evidence proves well-made Tube amps are no less reliable than well-made SS amps. In fact because tube amps are more technically serviceable there are way more surviving tube amps than SS amps from the 60s thru to the 90s.

By the 90s fewer SS amps were being made at least for guitar while Bass amps continued to be produced but primarily for weight reasons. which of course SS objectively has the advantage. Reliability? Not so much. So enough with the FUD myth, OK?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

If you ever need to take it out you will regret it! They are HEAVY. I have a black face Deluxe reverb that is plenty loud for my uses and sounds really nice. It's easy on the back too.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Uh, that's what "IEM" means...
Heck if I know. I first tried them in 1983 while working on a Stevie Wonder tour. Dial them down and get molded ones that also isolate leakage and you will hear fine. The cost?

Heck if I know.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You might be surprised; they did alright with a couple of them.
I guess it depends how old we mean by "old". Or how good we mean by "good". But if we're talking 1970s Peavey solid-state guitar amps -- like the venerable (ha!) Musician -- then I stand by my contention that those were some of the worst sounding amps ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
Ever play pedal steel?
Fair point, I shall concede to the steel community.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I shall concede to the steel community.
When I was a teenager, the Illinois State Fair had a deal with Peavey to provide backlines for various places around the fairgrounds, including the Automotive Tent where my band was stationed. I can confirm that Peavey solid state amps sound less bad on steel than on everything else.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess it depends how old we mean by "old". Or how good we mean by "good". But if we're talking 1970s Peavey solid-state guitar amps -- like the venerable (ha!) Musician -- then I stand by my contention that those were some of the worst sounding amps ever.
Oh, good Lord - the Musician. Yes, I will heartily agree there. I was speaking of later efforts. But those were fairly ugly, both visually and audibly. Leftovers from the 60s.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, good Lord - the Musician. Yes, I will heartily agree there. I was speaking of later efforts. But those were fairly ugly, both visually and audibly. Leftovers from the 60s.
HaHaHah! True and the only thing uglier than the Musician was Peavey PA gear at that time which apparently assumed really REALLY big knobs makes everything sound better
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
HaHaHah! True and the only thing uglier than the Musician was Peavey PA gear at that time which apparently assumed really REALLY big knobs makes everything sound better
Back in the mist of time I owned a Peavey "Super festival series" "Booster 800" power amp. It was the size of about six modern power amps. It had a a VU meter on the front , and one big gain knob . The "booster 800" put out 200W on a good day. It looked very impressive however.

There are two Peavey designs that have endured however (and they are basically the same amp) the Peavey 1X15 "Session 400" combo is still used by a lot of steel players.

I drug a pair of Peavey 400 mark IV bass heads around countless gigs in the 80s and 90s. They are still both working after about 30 years, and are happily in use in two different friend's rehearsal rooms
Attached Thumbnails
Is the Fender Twin Reverb worth it?-peavey-booster.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Back in the mist of time I owned a Peavey "Super festival series" "Booster 800" power amp. It was the size of about six modern power amps. It had a a VU meter on the front , and one big gain knob . The "booster 800" put out 200W on a good day. It looked very impressive however.

There are two Peavey designs that have endured however (and they are basically the same amp) the Peavey 1X15 "Session 400" combo is still used by a lot of steel players.

I drug a pair of Peavey 400 mark IV bass heads around countless gigs in the 80s and 90s. They are still both working after about 30 years, and are happily in use in two different friend's rehearsal rooms
Those power amps were modern and semi-pro by comparison to what I am referring to. Yeah Session 400s are actually decent for steel players. Those Mark IVs weren't too shabby but tonewise I kinda liked the short-lived so-called digital 400 that had the built in chorus on a crossover so the lows didn't get :whooshy", just the tops. Dated but good for the times.

Here's the PA junk I meant

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here's the PA junk I meant

Those are, indeed, big knobs.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The bigger the knob, the louder it goes.
That's why everything sounds wimpy now...small knobs.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Haha, good one! Maybe that's why the Mackie Big Knob is so popular .
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
That's why Nigel Tufnel now uses tweeds... They go to 12 !!! AND have Chicken Head knobs which give that extra "Squawk!".
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those are, indeed, big knobs.
Lord, I remember those. They look like some console from 1950...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search