The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverb pedal for Vocals and Guitar? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Reverb pedal for Vocals and Guitar?

Hi. I have an EV PA system and a Mackie mixer that is very clean and full range. I go direct with my Telecaster and vocal mic into the mixer. I want to add reverb in the loop and I would also like a modest delay for that Mike Stern jazz style single note lead. I was going to buy a TC Hall Of Fame Reverb mini (beautiful sound) but then I noticed the EHX Canyon has a plate “Verb” and delay setting combination. I am thinking I could get the best of both worlds with just the one Canyon pedal. Would the Canyon plate “Verb” set to 3 ms be appropriate for a both guitar and my vocal in my mixer aux effects loop? I play blues and jazz, Latin, Beatles, B.B King and funk. No hard rock really. I am also considering adding a Roland Blues Driver for that guitar
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Neunabur

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The issue is you're playing guitar through what's essentially a Hi Fi system. Most guitar type echo/reverb units are voiced for a guitar amps which produce allot of midrange and practically no top end at all. Running a voice through that kind of unit connected to a PA Typically produces telephone type resonances and are often way too noisy on the top end. You may come across a digital unit that's quiet enough but you may wind up going through allot of units to find one that even comes close to working.

My advice is, use a unit designed for vocals. You're already adapting your guitar's tone to go through a PA and because the guitar "Backs" the vocals you'd want the vocals to sound their best in all cases so to me this is a no brainer. Get yourself something like an Alesis, or Lexicon echo/reverb unit and stick it in the PA's effects loop and dial up what you need for the vocals and guitar. This is how its done when running live sound and whether the guitar is direct or coming from a miced amp is immaterial.

If you want to use a secondary echo/reverb unit for the guitar then that's your choice. You can buy all kinds of multieffects units which can not only provide you the reverbs you want but they can also add any or all the other effects you'd typically feed a guitar amp including amp head and cab modeling unique to guitar and designed for DI use. I use a simple Vox Stomplab 1G pedal when I jam with my buddies and don't feel like hauling an amp. The PA has its own effects which we dial up to make the vocals sound good. I wouldn't dream of running the vocals through a guitar effect because I been there and done it and know the results are garbage.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank you, great advice!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Here's an idea. Since you have apparently heard and like both the TC and the EHX and since they are both right around 100bux, why not get one of each? You could even space that out over some time if your budget is constrained. Personally while i like them both i like the TC a lot more because it is a bit more serious and less "novelty'.. There's nothing at all wrong with "novelty" except that it usually gets tired more quickly than "meat and potatoes".
Old 12 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
The issue is you're playing guitar through what's essentially a Hi Fi system. Most guitar type echo/reverb units are voiced for a guitar amps which produce allot of midrange and practically no top end at all. Running a voice through that kind of unit connected to a PA Typically produces telephone type resonances and are often way too noisy on the top end. You may come across a digital unit that's quiet enough but you may wind up going through allot of units to find one that even comes close to working.

My advice is, use a unit designed for vocals. You're already adapting your guitar's tone to go through a PA and because the guitar "Backs" the vocals you'd want the vocals to sound their best in all cases so to me this is a no brainer. Get yourself something like an Alesis, or Lexicon echo/reverb unit and stick it in the PA's effects loop and dial up what you need for the vocals and guitar. This is how its done when running live sound and whether the guitar is direct or coming from a miced amp is immaterial.

If you want to use a secondary echo/reverb unit for the guitar then that's your choice. You can buy all kinds of multieffects units which can not only provide you the reverbs you want but they can also add any or all the other effects you'd typically feed a guitar amp including amp head and cab modeling unique to guitar and designed for DI use. I use a simple Vox Stomplab 1G pedal when I jam with my buddies and don't feel like hauling an amp. The PA has its own effects which we dial up to make the vocals sound good. I wouldn't dream of running the vocals through a guitar effect because I been there and done it and know the results are garbage.
For once we agree, mostly, anyway. There are a few guitar effects I've used on vocals, primarily the original (tape) Roland Space Echo (I've also used the Boss pedal - it's usable in noncritical situations but clearly inferior to the real thing) but there are very few. The only current one that comes to mind is the H9 Harmonizer. What I generally use in club PA systems are an old Roland SDE-1000 delay and an Alesis microverb. Both do a good job and are available dirt cheap on the used market. In the studio I use a Lexicon PCM-90 and..... a Roland SDE-1000.
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

I agree that for club pa work Alesis did make some decent reverbs, but I have to say all of the Alesis models are pretty much eclipsed these days by TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb. That is one superb little pedal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search