The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HH budget pickup suggestions Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Nut

HH budget pickup suggestions

Looking for suggestions for a set of low budget humbucker pickups for a PRS or LP style guitar.

- Bright is good. Not looking for mellow, I have hollowbodies for that.
- Low output doesnt matter. In fact, since my rig is designed for single coils, it's kind of a plus.
- Something that sounds markedly different than normal is also a plus. In addition to the hollowbodies I also have a Les Paul, a PRS copy, an HH strat copy, and an HHH strat copy, so something that WOULDNT make this guitar sound like any of them (or my strats and teles) is good.

The pickups that are in there currently are mellow and dont sound different enough from my hollowbodies.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Bill Lawrence L-500 are great LP style humbucking pickups. Hand made in California. Only about $50 ea.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Nut

I like the Bill Lawrence Tele pickups that I have. Those might be worth trying.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

What about a Gretsch or P-90 type of pickup?
Old 17th May 2018

I'd suggest the L-90 from Wilde Bill (Becky is Bill Lawrence's widow). They take your order and don't really confirm anything until your pickups ship (which can be a while, as they are made to order). Price reflects the low overhead, not the quality of the units....

Wilde Bill's Twin Blades

-tINY

Old 17th May 2018
Gear Nut

I had no idea pickups were so cheap-- I bought a set of Wilkinson P90's on eBay for $20. If I dont like them I might try the Guitar Madness version.

Definitely like WBL pickups, I'll try them if I dont find anything cheaper I like.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Seymour Duncan George Lynch screaming deamon. The name is pretty much erroneous, great paf on steroids tone, nice and bright. Otherwise the Bill Lawrence L 500. I like both almost equally, they have a similar eq. To hear the BL listen to Nuno Bettencourt, to hear the SD listen to George Lynch.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear
A good combo to go with the Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon in the bridge is the S.D. Jazz in the neck position. It has enough brightness to be a good match for the Screaming' Demon.
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Addict

What is your idea of 'low budget'?
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Nut

Under $100 for the set.
Old 25th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspiffy View Post
Under $100 for the set.
Almost anything in that range is likely to be deficient in one way or another. The only real exception MIGHT be the Bill Lawrence.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
A good combo to go with the Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon in the bridge is the S.D. Jazz in the neck position. It has enough brightness to be a good match for the Screaming' Demon.
If you mean SH-2 Jazz, that's the combo I thought of when I saw this thread. The Demon is the quintessential rock pickup. Medium output, with balls and brightness, and the SH-2 has the brightness to really make the neck position pop.

Plus the middle position combination has a great, throaty midrange that makes a killer alternative lead tone.
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Nut

I am quite happy with the Guitar Madness pickups I ended up with for $30/set.
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Cheap pickups are damn good in certain situations. I did need a Dimarzio Tone Zone for a maple guitar, though. Only thing that worked.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search