The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what can I do to get a Gretsch-o-caster?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

what can I do to get a Gretsch-o-caster?

I like the sound of a strat/tele; clean, wet, and a big bottom.

But the neck of a Gretsch is where I want to spend my days; super flat and wide and low.

How can I put together a guitar with the Fender single coil sound and that 12" radius neck that I like? It's something about the Gretsch neck; I'm not talking about a Les Paul kind of neck -- maybe the Gretsch is even wider (?).

What would I get with a strat-type single coil in a Gretsch? Unsatisfying?

Thoughts appreciated. Sounds (links to vids) more appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the closest sound to single-coil you can get from a Gretsch guitar is by using TV Jones T-Armond pickup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzGibbs1975 View Post
I like the sound of a strat/tele; clean, wet, and a big bottom.

But the neck of a Gretsch is where I want to spend my days; super flat and wide and low.

How can I put together a guitar with the Fender single coil sound and that 12" radius neck that I like? It's something about the Gretsch neck; I'm not talking about a Les Paul kind of neck -- maybe the Gretsch is even wider (?).

Thoughts appreciated. Sounds (links to vids) more appreciated.

Just custom order a neck. Take your neck to a luthier and have them shape it for the strat you want. You might like Godin electrics as well. Excellent guitars
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzGibbs1975 View Post
A Hi-lo Tron would get close to that.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Which Gretsch neck? They're kind of all over the place and not standard. see here for a neck thickness comparison:
https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-...etsch-guitars/

Most Gretsch have a 12" radius, although some of the 6120's had a 9.45" radius. 12" puts you in Les Paul territory, 9.5" is modern Fender.

Warmoth sells lots of replacement strat necks with different thicknesses and radius, including a compound radius - it's what I have on my TelePaul parts caster. That and a TV jones filtertron pickup should get you pretty far...

Or, buy a used Fender Cabronita Tele - came stock with 2 Fideli'tron pickups. Review of them vs. Filter'tron pickups here:
Review: Fender Fideli'tron vs TV Classics
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Flat, wide and low with 12" radius - you cant get that from Warmoth. The flat profile is called the Wizard profile. The widest neck is 1-11/16" (which I actually have and love). They have no problem with you ordering a 12" radius. And to keep it low just choose those tiny little vintage frets (which I have and love).

Bolt it on to a Strat or Tele and you're home.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Assuming it's only the neck you like and not specifically the Gretsch, per se, then maybe these:

G&L ASAT Classic (Tele) or Legacy (Strat) with a #1 , 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 3 (wide C) or 4 (extra wide C) neck.

A sample from '09 to '13

The G&L Enthusiasts Website

12" was G&L's preferred radius in their early years. Maybe their only one, I don't know. My 3 early 90's (ASAT, ASAT Classic, and S-500) are all 12".

Lot of bang for the buck in a used American G&L.

Last edited by onewire; 2 days ago at 02:21 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Look at some older Guild electrics. My old (1957) 6120 and SparkleJet have profiles similar to some Guild guitars I have played.

* I'm speaking of American made Gretsch/Guild guitars.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
* I'm speaking of American made Gretsch/Guild guitars.
Oops. You just reminded me. Just added the same qualification about the G&L's.

I was speaking of the Fullertons (US). Don't know much about the Tributes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search