The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bought Old Marshall Cabinet for $475 - how did I do? Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Bought Old Marshall Cabinet for $475 - how did I do?

I went into Guitar Center today and they had literally just put this cabinet on the floor. I bought it for $475 (was marked $499). They let me take the back off to check out the speakers but I can't take it home for a month as they have a 30 day hold on used gear before it can leave the store in case it's stolen.

I tried it for about 2 minutes to make sure it wasn't blown. Used a BF Bassman and it sounded great.

Anyone know what year this is or what it's worth? I like B cabs vs A cabs and actually went in looking for a B cab, so this is great. I'm guessing it's late 70s but I am not an expert on these.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What it's worth depends entirely on what you bought it for - to play or to sell. If that was "to play" then you already have your answer - "it sounded great".
Old 5 days ago
The speakers appear to be upside down...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
The speakers appear to be upside down...
Does that mean the highs come out of the bottom?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I think I paid around $350 for a slant cab maybe 10 years or so. It had 4X75w Celestin's (which sell for over $200 each new).
The only flaw was ugly brown Grill Cloth from the 70's that looked like an ugly burlap bag all stretched out. I bought some large basket weave and replaced it. Pretty easy to do. Simply unscrew the Baffle and staple a new one in place. I had enough left over to also put a piece on my Valvestate head so the whole thing matches.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Does that mean the highs come out of the bottom?
Yeah but it's great for when one plays inversions
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
I think I paid around $350 for a slant cab maybe 10 years or so. It had 4X75w Celestin's (which sell for over $200 each new).
The only flaw was ugly brown Grill Cloth from the 70's that looked like an ugly burlap bag all stretched out. I bought some large basket weave and replaced it. Pretty easy to do. Simply unscrew the Baffle and staple a new one in place. I had enough left over to also put a piece on my Valvestate head so the whole thing matches.
Oh.

A Valvestate head.

Figures.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Anyone know what year this is or what it's worth? I like B cabs vs A cabs and actually went in looking for a B cab, so this is great. I'm guessing it's late 70s but I am not an expert on these.
Prices can be all over the map with Marshall cabs.

If cab sounds really good and you are OK with the price I'd say it's a good deal.

Those cabs were 1971-1981 and a very slightly different pattern grill cloth 1976-1981 I think. Can't tell from the pics which you have. The grillcloth difference is really only noticeable when the two different are side by side.

There is a market for those but the very collectible and thus high dollar Marshall cabs tend to be 1970 and prior as the speaker were pre Rola being partnered with Celection having come into the Celestion manufacture picture.

As the speakers appear to ne Rola Celestion G12M 25 watt the are likely pre 1979 as I think Marshall went to 65 waters then.

At the price you mentioned I don't see collector sort of money being asked and that's good. Some folks do run the prices on these high.

Some folks love the 65 watt Celestion as the lower end is tighter than small watt capable Celestions.

I must stress that I am not an expert on post 1971 Marshall cabs but they can sound very good.

I have played through them on occasion in the past and generally was fine with them.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Oh.

A Valvestate head.

Figures.
Yea, it was a gift from my wife after someone stole my Plexi. You got a problem with that?

I have a pair of 15 valve states and a dozen other amps too, you want me to list them so you cant rag on those too?

I heard allot of people tell me just how big a pompous jerk you were long before I started posted here. I typically ignore those opinions and give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't understand why you are so hell bent on proving them right.

I realize some people get bitter as they age. They fail to achieve successes in life and blame others for their failures. Most people seek things of value like love of family and the respect of peers earning it over a lifetime.
Others think they are entitled to respect without earning it. When you storm the gates and demand respect you are hated.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea, it was a gift from my wife after someone stole my Plexi. You got a problem with that?

I have a pair of 15 valve states and a dozen other amps too, you want me to list them so you cant rag on those too?

I heard allot of people tell me just how big a pompous jerk you were long before I started posted here. I typically ignore those opinions and give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't understand why you are so hell bent on proving them right.

I realize some people get bitter as they age. They fail to achieve successes in life and blame others for their failures. Most people seek things of value like love of family and the respect of peers earning it over a lifetime.
Others think they are entitled to respect without earning it. When you storm the gates and demand respect you are hated.
Wait. In all fairness and objectivity "it figures" is hardly "ragging" especially when compared to "bitter", "hated" and "pompous jerk". Maybe you like the sound of your Valvestate but that does say something about your taste as surely as a guy saying "I put hot sauce on everything" and a response of "that figures": in and of itself while carrying a smirky connotation it is not some hateful denunciation, just an opinion and expression of dissimilar taste..

I think it is wonderful and exceptional that your wife is so thoughtful and caring that she spent time, consideration and bux to support your dreams. It's perfectly OK if you like your Valvestate but some people including me consider them a compromise at best and surely you must be aware of that. So why all the defensive vitriol that borders on "pot calling kettle" or worse?
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Wait. In all fairness and objectivity "it figures" is hardly "ragging" especially when compared to "bitter", "hated" and "pompous jerk". Maybe you like the sound of your Valvestate but that does say something about your taste as surely as a guy saying "I put hot sauce on everything" and a response of "that figures": in and of itself while carrying a smirky connotation it is not some hateful denunciation, just an opinion and expression of dissimilar taste..

I think it is wonderful and exceptional that your wife is so thoughtful and caring that she spent time, consideration and bux to support your dreams. It's perfectly OK if you like your Valvestate but some people including me consider them a compromise at best and surely you must be aware of that. So why all the defensive vitriol that borders on "pot calling kettle" or worse?
Actually the main problem I have with him is his consistent posting of inaccurate, misleading, and downright wrong technical "information".

As to the (pair of!) Valvestates, well, at least they're not Line 6 Spyders.

And it's nice to have a wife who buys you amplifiers.

As to "success" I'd wager that I've probably have more than our friend "wrgkmc".... Although that's all relative.

And the word isn't "bitter" it's "elitist".
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdog View Post
There is a market for those but the very collectible and thus high dollar Marshall cabs tend to be 1970 and prior as the speaker were pre Rola being partnered with Celection having come into the Celestion manufacture picture.
That's a common misconception. In fact Rola (UK) acquired Celestion in 1947. The change of the company name on labels around 1970 compared to the few years before that was cosmetic only. Both company names were used in various ways before that time.

All production from 1948 until recent years when they started being made in China was at the Thames Ditton facility, except for some batches of speakers that were put together by Westrex in the 60s when they were building Vox amp chassis and trying to keep up with high demand.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Worth about a grand.

Getting upset about a Valvestate... You can't give those things away and a slant cab with T75 speakers is worth **** all compared to this cab.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could be wrong but I don't think that was brown grill cloth. I seem to remember Marshall had a batch of black cloth that faded to the brown color. Again, I could be wrong on that but I seem to remember hearing that.

Somewhere I still have a Valvestate guitar strap. In the late 80s/early 90s Marshall ran a promotion where you could try a Valvestate and have the store fill out a coupon and they would send you a free strap. I filled out about 10 of those coupons and sent them in
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think that was brown grill cloth. I seem to remember Marshall had a batch of black cloth that faded to the brown color. Again, I could be wrong on that but I seem to remember hearing that.

Somewhere I still have a Valvestate guitar strap. In the late 80s/early 90s Marshall ran a promotion where you could try a Valvestate and have the store fill out a coupon and they would send you a free strap. I filled out about 10 of those coupons and sent them in
I imagine that the straps were better than the amps...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Let's pile on the Valvestate shall we? Coincidentally my wife bought me a Valvestate way back in the late 80's or early 90's as a birthday gift. No idea what model. Having owned an old Marshall back in the 70's I found it to be fizzy. So I explained that to her and she let me trade it in for a JCM900 which I still use today.
The Valvestate is probably better than I remember but it wasn't the sound I wanted...
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
Let's pile on the Valvestate shall we? Coincidentally my wife bought me a Valvestate way back in the late 80's or early 90's as a birthday gift. No idea what model. Having owned an old Marshall back in the 70's I found it to be fizzy. So I explained that to her and she let me trade it in for a JCM900 which I still use today.
The Valvestate is probably better than I remember but it wasn't the sound I wanted...
I had a friend that had one. I was probably 13 or 14. I had an old Vibrolux and he had a 4x12 valvestate - he was much cooler.

I remember it was loud and he played with an American Metal and a DOD Flanger. It nailed what he was going for, which is what I suppose it was designed to do. He had an Ibanez RG as I remember.

I wasn't that into metal but to my young self it sounded great for that. Lots of high end.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

If it sounds good it is good and it sure looks good.
Old 1 day ago
It's fizzy. And somewhat lacking in balls.

Did I mention that it's fizzy as Alka-Seltzer?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

That grill cloth is called 'Checkerboard'--I used to have one just like it. My recollection, mid to late 70s. I don't have the impression this sort of cab is collectible, and you got a fair price on it, but not a steal. I only say this because I watch our local craigslist and these things don't move very fast. As long as you get some good use out of it, it was a great buy for you. Certainly better than recent asian built cabs with chinese sourced speakers and cheaper lumber/particle board.

I had a marshall 2098 in the late 70s--a solid state with an output transformer. Had a stonking great distortion sound to my ears--didnt have to get so loud like the tube marshalls. Long gone, though.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I heard allot of people tell me just how big a pompous jerk you were long before I started posted here...
On my ignore list along time ago--life's too short--only see what he says when it gets quoted. The last straw was a post where I thanked him for some information and he quoted that very post to insult me.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleharmonium View Post
That's a common misconception. In fact Rola (UK) acquired Celestion in 1947. The change of the company name on labels around 1970 compared to the few years before that was cosmetic only. Both company names were used in various ways before that time.

All production from 1948 until recent years when they started being made in China was at the Thames Ditton facility, except for some batches of speakers that were put together by Westrex in the 60s when they were building Vox amp chassis and trying to keep up with high demand.
Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search