The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Folk strumming acoustic tone Condenser Microphones
Old 29th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD009 View Post
Good summary Junior, thanks! And thanks for reading lol. Yeah, I agree with you, and it was never really about getting the "vintage sound" as far as recording, so much as it was just getting that guitar tone. I don't necessarily want to sound exactly like those recordings, although I don't really like super polished recordings either, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to have some of the gear in the chain used on those recordings. At the end of the day, I realized that strings, mic position, all the DIY tricks folks recommended here etc. could only go so far and, indeed, I needed to get the right guitar for the tone. It was a great thing to realize, because I've fallen back in love with vintage Gibsons, which give me that tone I'm searching for (have a B-25 for the small body tone and a J-50 for a fuller dread sound). They also have really small necks, which I prefer given my really small hands My next guitar on my list is the Guild M-20, popularized by Nick Drake. Funny you posted that video, as I was watching it recently - that dude has dedicated himself to understanding Drake's tonal nuances, and it does go to show that the talent/technique of the player can go a long way.

In the end, I really just needed a small body guitar for the folk strumming numbers I do - that did the trick. I imagine a Gibson LG-1/2/3, Martin 0/00/000, or the Guild I mentioned would all do the trick for those searching for that sound. Many thanks to all who contributed!
You're very welcome!
Old 29th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
That barrier down, now all I gotta do is work on the playing... and then the singing... and... and... at least I can kinda get the guitar sound.
Somebody really smart once said it's all relative, or something
Old 29th July 2018
Quote:
My dad knew that guy!
Old 29th July 2018
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
My dad knew that guy!
Have I missed an interesting facet of your backstory, John?

Are we talking about the guy with the wild hair and the very long view?
Old 29th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

Have I missed an interesting facet of your backstory, John?

Are we talking about the guy with the wild hair and the very long view?
Yes. My father was the campus rabbi at Princeton for a couple years when Big Al was there, before moving to NYC and marrying my mom. This would have been shortly after WWII, in the mid-late '40s. I have a photo to prove it, taken on a ship that a Princeton group were taking to Cuba for some sort of convention.

I don't know if I ever "met" him (actually was in his presence) or not - my family visited Princeton a couple or three times before he died but I was very, very young.
Old 29th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yes. My father was the campus rabbi at Princeton for a couple years when Big Al was there, before moving to NYC and marrying my mom. This would have been shortly after WWII, in the mid-late '40s. I have a photo to prove it, taken on a ship that a Princeton group were taking to Cuba for some sort of convention.

I don't know if I ever "met" him (actually was in his presence) or not - my family visited Princeton a couple or three times before he died but I was very, very young.
You had me at campus rabbi for Princeton, actually. But the famous refugee scientist -- that's a pretty fascinating facet, all right!
Old 2nd August 2018
mahogany!!
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger View Post
mahogany!!
Point taken
Old 7th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yeah, looks like it - but you do agree that there are steel strings strung on it, right?
I’m in bed with my kid asleep next to me, so I can’t listen to the strings. I can say that Dylan is almost definitely playing a mid to late 20’s Martin 0-42. And it’s not the ‘29 0-45 (with the belly bridge) that Joan Baez loaned him on more than one occasion. Even though both those guitars were X-braced, Martin recommended that IF one decided to use steel strings, they should be of the lightest gauge. Plenty of folkies were still using gut strings, though if I could only turn up the volume, I could tell you in an instant what the strings are. You also have to remember that this is a parlor sized guitar, made of the FINEST Brazilian rosewood and Red Spruce that has ever been used on a guitar. It isn’t the dregs that passes for BR on Martins, Collings, and all the boutique guitars today. This was the finest aged BR and spruce Martin’s ever used. And at this point, in 1964, that Red Spruce had had 40 years to open up. Whatever the strings, I assure you, if we were standing next to Dylan, the sound of that guitar would have melted us. I only ramble on about this because I track down pre-wars for a living. It’s my job. A job that gets more difficult every day! That guitar is pure class. And very loud. Quite the specimen.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search