The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The cure "plainsong" guitar tone Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict

The cure "plainsong" guitar tone

Always loved this tone. Anyone have info on the rig? It can be heard at 1:30
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotchicken View Post
Always loved this tone. Anyone have info on the rig? It can be heard at 1:30
Not guitar, that's a Fender Bass VI played high up on the fretboard.

I wouldn't be surprised in that time period if Robert was using the Roland JC120 and a basic set of Boss pedals. He's not always using the same amp, but pretty sure he's always using the same pedals.

Many of the recognizable signature The Cure riffs will be a bass VI, especially on that album. While technically playable on guitar, they don't have quite the same timbre to them.
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Not guitar, that's a Fender Bass VI played high up on the fretboard.

I wouldn't be surprised in that time period if Robert was using the Roland JC120 and a basic set of Boss pedals. He's not always using the same amp, but pretty sure he's always using the same pedals.

Many of the recognizable signature The Cure riffs will be a bass VI, especially on that album. While technically playable on guitar, they don't have quite the same timbre to them.
Wow, I guess that's why i found it so unique. First thing that came to mind was a strat and some flange but I knew something was amiss. That explains it!
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotchicken View Post
Wow, I guess that's why i found it so unique. First thing that came to mind was a strat and some flange but I knew something was amiss. That explains it!
Most Bass VI will have a 3pu configuration similar to strat so especially those in between type sounds can have a bit of that quality.
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Maniac
I have got similar tones using a strat-type guitar on the neck pickup with the tone rolled off, with a bass subsynth generator, phaser, chorus and delay.

I am a Cure nut! (saw them in the 70s when then were still called Malice (IIRR) with Robert's brother on vocals, playing mainly Alex Harvey covers) These days I use an Ibanez Hybrid short scale six string bass (SRC6) when I want to play Disintegration-like leads. SRC6 | SR | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars
Old 3rd March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
I have got similar tones using a strat-type guitar on the neck pickup with the tone rolled off, with a bass subsynth generator, phaser, chorus and delay.

I am a Cure nut! (saw them in the 70s when then were still called Malice (IIRR) with Robert's brother on vocals, playing mainly Alex Harvey covers) These days I use an Ibanez Hybrid short scale six string bass (SRC6) when I want to play Disintegration-like leads. SRC6 | SR | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars
That looks like an interesting instrument! Is it more like an actual six string bass, or a baritone guitar? Looks more like the latter. Couldn't really work it out from the website's pics, with no clear description.
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
That looks like an interesting instrument! Is it more like an actual six string bass, or a baritone guitar? Looks more like the latter. Couldn't really work it out from the website's pics, with no clear description.
It's tuned like a guitar but an octave down, but the string gauge is more like a bass than your usual baritone guitar, that's why they call it a crossover. It's cool for backing acoustic guitar as you can play bass and then hit the distortion pedal and play the odd solo where required!
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
It's tuned like a guitar but an octave down, but the string gauge is more like a bass than your usual baritone guitar, that's why they call it a crossover. It's cool for backing acoustic guitar as you can play bass and then hit the distortion pedal and play the odd solo where required!
A „real“ bass is tuned an octave down too! but the fender vi has the additional b and high e strings. what makes it more like a guitar is the small distance between the strings. makes it hard for bassplayers to fingerpick. i play it pick only. the standard gauge of the low e string is between 80 and 90. most trad. basses are between 100 and 105 for roundwounds. squier makes an affordable version of it. the later. mij ones are very good, but expensive.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Head

Boss pedals would be dd3 delay set to 12 o’clock (around 400ms) SD-1 overdrive drive/tone set to 12oclock plus Ch-1 all set to 12 o’clock in stereo.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search