The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One thing I really hate about the new PRS "Silver Sky" ... Electric Guitar
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

One thing I really hate about the new PRS "Silver Sky" ...

Every twit on youtube has one and you can't get them here 'till July

Yeah, I really really want one
Old 5th April 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Yeah, I really really want one
Why? It's just another strat clone more-or-less with a PRS head stock. Big deal. You can't outdo Fender when it comes to making Fender guitars. Get the real thing.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

It's amazing the amount of hate this thing causes.

"Makes perfectly valid thread, get's trolled because of the hate"
Old 5th April 2018
Deleted User
No hate. Just no interest.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Plenty o' hate, but no interest affirms it.

A guitar I have MUCH interest in, other than the hate, and want badly to check out............

Again, perfectly logical thread, and much hate = typical thread. Even though much love is given by all the jackasses that have been given the guitar........

Oh, wait, a clue? Yes a clue. All the tards given a model to bestow upon us how stupid we are, yeah, calling YOU out.

If I was given a unit and reviewed it, I'd probably liked it too. But then again, reality is NOT IMPORTANT. What's important is the HATE towards this guitar.........

Haters gonna hate, but I'd like one, help me obiwan kanobi, you're my only hope............................
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

It's interesting. for $2300.. I dunno.
I'll take this opportunity to brag about buying a 2001 American standard strat for $650 with a hardshell case.
Noisless pickups, which get some hate but work for me. I just don't like not having a battery compartment, so I leave the back cover off and use some double sided tape for the battery.
Installed some fender locking tuners that cost me $50-60 used some big bends nut sauce, and it's a gem that stays in tune with the whammy bar in full use.
Heck you can get a suhr modern for about the same price or less. Love mine.
It's not perfect but it definitely is one of those guitars that I look at, play, and think damn, I'm a lucky SOB.

No hate here. I understand it.
I'm sure it took John a long time to convince Paul to make a strat copy, but that's what John wanted.
When you're looking at something like this with a big artists name behind it, I see marketing justifying the price, more than the guitar. Then again it's still significantly less than prs customs and a little more than the CE. So in the big scheme of things, and considering how much some artists guitars cost, plus the fact that it's American made PRS artist guitar.
It's actually a good price. It is alder though.
I personally couldn't justify it unless that neck felt like sex and the rest of the guitar was really point on too.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

I have to think that John wouldn't have even considered a switch and Paul wouldn't have taken on the project for anything more than a one off unless it is something more than just another Strat copy. Conclusion; I really want to play one and see for myself.
Old 5th April 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
It's interesting. for $2300.. I dunno.
At that price, if you throw in a few more bucks, you can get a Fender Custom Shop Strat that potentially will hold it's resale value better. I've owned several PRS guitars that I purchased brand new. I had them for ten years and then sold them at a loss because nobody wanted to pay me what I paid for them. I also purchased several Fender CS Strats that I held for the same amount of time. The CS guitars went up 50% or so on the used market over that same time period and I still have them. Great playing guitars.

Nothing against PRS guitars, because many are made right here in the USA so I really don't want to bash them. It's hard to keep production in the USA while keeping costs low, so I wish PRS all the best in the world, and I say that sincerely. Best of luck to them.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Ew..that is one ugly axe..headstock..so so wrong...an the birds..THE BIRDS..

the one thing that causes me to never consider buying a PRS..and it doesn't matter that they don't appear on all his guitars..I will never do business with his company because of the birds alone...not very rock and roll...the birds..QUITE, Johnathan Livingston Seagull..an that is not a good thing

Have fun with your ugly guitar TooWrongFoo..

Sincerely,,

Major $%^#$^ing prs HaTeR.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Nut

7'25 radius ????

That's not a fretboard. It's a log!

And the guitar looks plain awful with that headstock
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Ew..that is one ugly axe..headstock..so so wrong...an the birds..THE BIRDS..

the one thing that causes me to never consider buying a PRS..and it doesn't matter that they don't appear on all his guitars..I will never do business with his company because of the birds alone...not very rock and roll...the birds..QUITE, Johnathan Livingston Seagull..an that is not a good thing
You would perhaps prefer flaming skulls? ... maybe with frickin' lasers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Major $%^#$^ing prs HaTeR.
I guess that sums it up, eh? Still... no call to drain your boils on OP's parade.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
You would perhaps prefer flaming skulls? ... maybe with frickin' lasers?

LOL

I like geometrics..and frickin' lasers..

I guess that sums it up, eh? Still... no call to drain your boils on OP's parade.
My boils from the birds will never be healed.,,they are there to remind that I'm living..

I know..messy!! But hey, it works!!

Them birds..what a sad moment during that decision making process at the PRS workshop..ugh.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
At that price, if you throw in a few more bucks, you can get a Fender Custom Shop Strat that potentially will hold it's resale value better. I've owned several PRS guitars that I purchased brand new. I had them for ten years and then sold them at a loss because nobody wanted to pay me what I paid for them. I also purchased several Fender CS Strats that I held for the same amount of time. The CS guitars went up 50% or so on the used market over that same time period and I still have them. Great playing guitars.

Nothing against PRS guitars, because many are made right here in the USA so I really don't want to bash them. It's hard to keep production in the USA while keeping costs low, so I wish PRS all the best in the world, and I say that sincerely. Best of luck to them.

I here ya. American Fender and Gibsons tend to hold resale value or go up in price more than any other brand of guitars.
The customs, probably more so.
I think I've only bought one guitar new. And that was a les paul studio a few years ago.
I could sell it for the same or a bit more than I paid, according to current eBay prices. And Gibson pumped those things out like crazy over the past 5 years or so. It's not like it's rare.
It's just a Gibson, has a cool finish, and has "made in u.s.a." embossed on the back of the headstock.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Again, the major hate over this is NOT why I started this thread. I started it because every single youtube person has one and you CANNOT get them in stores.

@Radius: Nobody says that about the Fenders.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Exactly
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
7'25 radius ????

That's not a fretboard. It's a log!

And the guitar looks plain awful with that headstock
All the classic 50s and 60s era strats have that radius so it's not surprising that this is JM's preferred neck. While I personally prefer the modern fender 9.5" radius, the vintage 7.25" radius doesn't feel that different to me. Higher action of course, but also a little easier chording above the 10th fret or so.

I'm curious to see how PRS's first stab at a true single coil guitar goes.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

This whole Silver Sky thing is super entertaining to follow!

Full disclaimer, I'm a huge John Mayer fan. But that's beside the point really...

My only real complaint about the way the SS looks is that they reversed the points on the headstock. I think it would have looked nicer with the "normal" PRS headstock.

The headstock thing on a Fender style guitar... It's unwinnable. I've actually done a design for a variation on a Fender Strat headstock that was meant for a boutique guitar building company that I was helping get off the ground. (never happened...) It was an almost impossible task. One of the only decent looking ones is the Yamaha Pacifica. IMO, Fender shaped guitars only *ever* look right to me with their original headstock. I don't love a single variation that I've ever seen. It's just engrained in our brains, and also those lines are simply perfect, you can't do better than the original Strat headstock IMO. So no matter what PRS would have tried, everyone would have hated it regardless.

Let's be honest... It's John Mayer. Most guitar players were only ever going to hate this guitar on principal alone.

BTW, if you're interested in this whole thing and you haven't watched JM's 40 minute Instagram video in which he attempts to explain the design... You should! I loved it, it was funny and also he got fairly technical about some of the decisions they made. Being a guy who's been through parts of that design process on a new "fender-ish" guitar, I really appreciated that video.

Here's something I was chatting about with my friend, same guy I was starting that company with, who is a great tech and guitar builder:

When Fender put two or three years of work into perfecting the first Eric Johnson Strat, everyone praised them for taking their time and "getting it right". But PRS does the same thing for JM, and everyone is like "give me a break, it's only a Strat copy! What is there to design...?!"

Hilarious!

Again, watch that instagram video, I felt it addressed a lot of this stuff very thoughtfully. Or at least illustrated that they didn't just throw it together...
Old 6th April 2018
1) as a premium strat copy it sounds good and is priced decently.

2) I think the guitar is uglier than a Srat and most other premium strat brands ( i.e Xotic, Suhr etc.)

3) there's no way they spent 2 years actually designing that guitar. Maybe the whole process took that much time, but given that it's a copy with minor variations it's not like they had a team of engineer's working around the clock for two years on this thing.

4) the "outrage" is not surprising given that PRS is one of the large established players and copied Fender's design. Same would have happened if Gibson did it. I think it's a pretty low move on PRS' part, but the end result is a nice guitar overall.

5) PRS spent a ton on marketing this through you tube because nearly every established monetized channel either raved about it or criticized those who spoke out against it. It's like Sinclair broadcasting guitar edition....

6) in the end the guitar seems like a great instrument and it's not like the sky will fall because it exists.

Last edited by Reverb; 6th April 2018 at 11:41 PM..
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

1. I can't think of a single good reason why any Strat should cost $2,300.

2. The nut width is 1.656"? Please. Good for John Mayer I guess, but that's like
a toothpick.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Guru

I don't like the name. Otherwise, I have no issue with it.

John Mayer is great. Can't fault what he does, other than that he doesn't put out enough records.
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
1. I can't think of a single good reason why any Strat should cost $2,300.

2. The nut width is 1.656"? Please. Good for John Mayer I guess, but that's like
a toothpick.
So if I'm getting this right, the radius is panned by billions, but the nut width is TOO SMALL and thus, panned by billions too?

If so...

Seems perfect to me.

Can't wait until they stop giving them to every tom dick and harry on youtube and start making some production models I can get my paws on!
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

A STRAT with split tuners on the headstock like an LP, no thanks. $2300, LOL
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So if I'm getting this right, the radius is panned by billions, but the nut width is TOO SMALL and thus, panned by billions too?
I have no idea what that even means.

But, I do hope you are able to get one soon and hope it's a great guitar for you.
Old 7th April 2018
kdp
Lives for gear

Meh.
Mediocre guitar. Named after a mediocre guitarist.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear
I don't care for the design, but here in Canada a Fender Clapton Strat is 2100 + tax, so the price of the JM is IMHO fine.
I do agree that the resale value may be less than Fender or Gibson BUT I buy guitars to play and keep until I am dead.
I never speculate about their resale value.
When they become available, play one and see if you like it. If yes, buy it and enjoy.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
I have no idea what that even means.

But, I do hope you are able to get one soon and hope it's a great guitar for you.
Well, it's just that I have no idea it's so panned by so many.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post

I've owned several CS Fenders, don't count on them, or virtually anything holding it's price anymore.

Personally I will take PRS build quality over any Fender or current Gibson, both of which I have many examples of since the 60s.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Meh.
Mediocre guitar. Named after a mediocre guitarist.
John Mayer is mediocre? LOL

Not my cup of tea but hardly "mediocre"

TH
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
A STRAT with split tuners on the headstock like an LP, no thanks. $2300, LOL
It's not a Strat for heaven's sake, and if you have any relationship at all with a dealer, it's not 2300

TH
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again, the major hate over this is NOT why I started this thread. I started it because every single youtube person has one and you CANNOT get them in stores.

@Radius: Nobody says that about the Fenders.
You cannot expect anything but flack on GS by bringing up any love for the following subjects:

1 Pop Music

2 The Neumann U87ai

3 PRS Guitars

4 AVID

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search