The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One thing I really hate about the new PRS "Silver Sky" ... Electric Guitar
Old 17th April 2018
  #121
Gear Nut
 

I've never ever bought a single "artist signature" instrument. Not even "signature pickups"

From the moment that any "artist signature" stuff is announced, I move away. Frankly

Why I'd ever want to buy something that belongs to that artist mind (and ears, and in some cases, truly heart and soul). It feels like something foreign, so to speak. I cannot connect with an instrument specially thought, felt, designed, engineered and crafted for an artist, not for me

There've been many stories about guys playing THE SAME gear as guitar legends, yet not sounding to them (Brian May is a classic example)

I LOVE Gilmour strat tone, but I do not like black colour at all. And I'd never buy a 7'25 radius neck

NONE of the guitar heroes had a "signature" model for them back in the day. Even in many cases they just played standard stuff, and they (or their roadies) made all the changes and magic to accomodate their instruments for their playing and sound.

So, if anyone truly wants to become a guitar inspiration, why not doing like those legends instead?

That's why all "signature" instruments are really useless to me. Nothing but a high level marketing
Old 17th April 2018
  #122
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
I've never ever bought a single "artist signature" instrument. Not even "signature pickups"

From the moment that any "artist signature" stuff is announced, I move away. Frankly

Why I'd ever want to buy something that belongs to that artist mind (and ears, and in some cases, truly heart and soul). It feels like something foreign, so to speak. I cannot connect with an instrument specially thought, felt, designed, engineered and crafted for an artist, not for me

There've been many stories about guys playing THE SAME gear as guitar legends, yet not sounding to them (Brian May is a classic example)

I LOVE Gilmour strat tone, but I do not like black colour at all. And I'd never buy a 7'25 radius neck

NONE of the guitar heroes had a "signature" model for them back in the day. Even in many cases they just played standard stuff, and they (or their roadies) made all the changes and magic to accomodate their instruments for their playing and sound.

So, if anyone truly wants to become a guitar inspiration, why not doing like those legends instead?

That's why all "signature" instruments are really useless to me. Nothing but a high level marketing
Outside of the free custom guitars, how much do you think it would have cost John Meyer to pay for all of this social media exposure, plus at his level he will be paid a portion of each sale.

While you didn't name your heroes, if they had to live in today's spotify world, and had some one offer them a deal, and they felt comfortable putting their brand in bed with the company that they wouldn't accept the offer?

But I do agree, outside of the Susanna Hoffs Rick I never personally even considered a signature model, and to be honest I don't even remember her guitar playing and I can't think of anything not played Vicki Peterson.
Old 17th April 2018
  #123
kdp
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Mayer's phrasing and timing are so much better than Slash's on that clip.

John has a great feel and timing/tone that's the stuff that's beyond technique/cliché/etc

People knock BONAMASSA too and he has the same, great tone/feel/timing and they've both carved a career as guitarists.

It's very easy to knock when you're sat in your bedroom or doing your function gig, most people have NO idea what it's like to actually get out there and carve a niche for yourself as any kind of Solo artists.

MC

MC
Please don’t put Mayer up at the level of Joe Bonamassa!
Many here have already stated the obvious lacking guitar skills of Mayer.
I for one like the fact that Mayer is playing this Strat copy. Suits him well!
Old 17th April 2018
  #124
Gear Maniac

Last edited by enkindler; 17th April 2018 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Edit to add direct twitter link.
Old 17th April 2018
  #125
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Please don’t put Mayer up at the level of Joe Bonamassa!
Many here have already stated the obvious lacking guitar skills of Mayer.
I for one like the fact that Mayer is playing this Strat copy. Suits him well!
Dude, I think John Mayer sucks as an artist, but it would be a lie to say that he isn't a very mechanically gifted player.
Old 17th April 2018
  #126
Gear Addict
 
Blues Bird's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
So, you are saying I am a moron? That's how I take it any way.

Personally I feel there are enough demo's to make a pretty good judgment whether or not I would like the guitar.

Glad you've played it for yourself. Have you pre-ordered one?
Please read carefully. I don't know you in person, so I can't tell whether your are a moron or not. Same even goes for the user "Mikhael", I don't know him either.

But what I can tell is, that coming to public forum - uninformed and without any first hand experience, but fueled by hearsay, resentment and envy - and ranting about a guitar one has never touched, is a moronic behavior.

Can you see the difference?

Unfortunately, a lot of folks got it totally wrong about the freedom of speech concept. So let me clear this up: You have the right to articulate yourself about every topic you want to, but - and here is the thing - you don‘t need to on every topic. So if a topic comes up, you know little to nothing about first hand, then simply keep your mouth shut.

Or as Abraham Licoln has put it once:

„"It is better to keep one's mouth shut, and be thought a fool, than to open it, and remove all doubt."


Btw, I haven't pre-ordered one. Stumbled across one in a store, played it, liked it, bought it. My first PRS.

Last edited by Blues Bird; 17th April 2018 at 12:13 PM..
Old 17th April 2018
  #127
Gear Addict
 
Jake's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
I've never ever bought a single "artist signature" instrument. Not even "signature pickups"

From the moment that any "artist signature" stuff is announced, I move away. Frankly

Why I'd ever want to buy something that belongs to that artist mind (and ears, and in some cases, truly heart and soul). It feels like something foreign, so to speak. I cannot connect with an instrument specially thought, felt, designed, engineered and crafted for an artist, not for me

There've been many stories about guys playing THE SAME gear as guitar legends, yet not sounding to them (Brian May is a classic example)

I LOVE Gilmour strat tone, but I do not like black colour at all. And I'd never buy a 7'25 radius neck

NONE of the guitar heroes had a "signature" model for them back in the day. Even in many cases they just played standard stuff, and they (or their roadies) made all the changes and magic to accomodate their instruments for their playing and sound.

So, if anyone truly wants to become a guitar inspiration, why not doing like those legends instead?

That's why all "signature" instruments are really useless to me. Nothing but a high level marketing
Although I don't disagree with your overall point with regards to most artist models, there have been some fairly ubiquitous artist signature model guitars -- notably the Gibson Les Paul and Gretsch 6120 and Country Gentleman which were both Chet Atkins signature models. A lot of guitar heroes didn't have an issue playing guitars that were designed for Les Paul and Chet Atkins.

If it had the features I wanted, I wouldn't not get a signature model just because it is a signature model. For example, IMO the Johnny Marr Jaguar is largely an improvement over the standard Fender Jaguar.
1
Share
Old 17th April 2018
  #128
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
Please read carefully. I don't know you in person, so I can't tell whether your are a moron or not. Same even goes for the user "Mikhael", I don't know him either.

But what I can tell is, that coming to public forum - uninformed and without any first hand experience, but fueled by hearsay, resentment and envy - and ranting about a guitar one has never touched, is a moronic behavior.

Can you see the difference?

Unfortunately, a lot of folks got it totally wrong about the freedom of speech concept. So let me clear this up: You have the right to articulate yourself about every topic you want to, but - and here is the thing - you don‘t need to on every topic. So if a topic comes up, you know little to nothing about first hand, then simply keep your mouth shut.

Or as Abraham Licoln has put it once:

„"It is better to keep one's mouth shut, and be thought a fool, than to open it, and remove all doubt."


Btw, I haven't pre-ordered one. Stumbled across one in a store, played it, liked it, bought it. My first PRS.
I'm glad you like your new guitar.

Not going to address your other statements.

Have a nice day.
Old 17th April 2018
  #129
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
You make my point, at least in part. I'm convinced after watching several demo video's (especially the ones directly comparing a real Strat to the Sky thingy) that the tone is not something I would be interested in. Heck, Mayer makes it very clear that the goal was to purposefully roll off the high end response that he's never really liked with the Stratocaster.

And its not like we're talking about comparing converters on Youtube, wh
ich IMO would be unwise. We're just talking about an electric guitar which again, IMO, is relatively easy to do even given the variables at play.
Well it's all in ones specific perception. . So, yes indeed in some of the direct comparison videos, there is a bit more highs on the Strat. Interestingly enough as one reviewer states it, the highs on the Strat are more edgy and distorted, where the PRS is more detailed and clear and balanced . That was his perception

Of course the "real" question is ----is that really case or are the room reflection modes perhaps making the more highs (which may be just as detailed ) but because there are more of them are simply becoming a bit more hyped and distorted in the room modes ???????

Or is it that the particular mic is hyped in the high end, and may be getting a bit overloaded with "more high end becoming distorted "

Or the EQing ?

Or are "the converters" showing artifacts in the high end ding! ding! THE POINT BEING as the viewer on YouTube (you are in fact comparing the converters ) in every guitar demo vs any other video of the same guitar, or any video done with a DAW .

Now I understand the logic that if you hear more or less the same difference in the highs in multiple videos it follows that there probably is some difference at the source
BUT in the some of the videos I have listened to it is the strat that has a bit less in the high end ????????????
I am guessing it has much much more to do with the specific pickups involved than the notion that it is just Fender vs PRS.

And lastly to clarify if you listen to enough videos from both Mayer himself and Paul Reed Smith, what you will get is that --- First it is not that JM has "Never" liked the highs on a Strat " it is about the difference between what JM liked about his vintage Strat , which according to him did not have the quote "Ice Pick highs" that the modern Fender Strats do, and that is what he and PRS were getting away from.

But I digress, the good news is obviously that you will not be getting one of the waiting lists that are forming and growing at PRS dealers.... And differences in perception and personal tastes are in fact,,,,,,, all good

Last edited by KevWind; 17th April 2018 at 10:22 PM..
Old 17th April 2018
  #130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Although I don't disagree with your overall point with regards to most artist models, there have been some fairly ubiquitous artist signature model guitars -- notably the Gibson Les Paul and Gretsch 6120 and Country Gentleman which were both Chet Atkins signature models. A lot of guitar heroes didn't have an issue playing guitars that were designed for Les Paul and Chet Atkins.

If it had the features I wanted, I wouldn't not get a signature model just because it is a signature model. For example, IMO the Johnny Marr Jaguar is largely an improvement over the standard Fender Jaguar.
The Musicman John Pettrucci is played by virtually every upcoming prog-metal guitarist - it is very popular as well.
Old 17th April 2018
  #131
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Attached Thumbnails
One thing I really hate about the new PRS "Silver Sky" ...-lifeson-335.jpg  
Old 18th April 2018
  #132
kdp
Lives for gear
 

Joe will always take the high road when asked about other guitarist.
But come on, really. John Mayer?!?
I've never heard anything by Mayer that I've said WOW.
His phrasing? Huh? His tone...always lacking.
Joe can cut Mayer into micro pieces without breaking a sweat.
Plus there are thousands of guitarist playing bars that are far better than Mayer.
Old 18th April 2018
  #133
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
NONE of the guitar heroes had a "signature" model for them back in the day.
You mean, like Les Paul or Chet Atkins?
1
Share
Old 18th April 2018
  #134
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Joe will always take the high road when asked about other guitarist.
But come on, really. John Mayer?!?
I've never heard anything by Mayer that I've said WOW.
His phrasing? Huh? His tone...always lacking.
Joe can cut Mayer into micro pieces without breaking a sweat.
Plus there are thousands of guitarist playing bars that are far better than Mayer.
No rule book on phrasing or tone. Just what you like. That's what he likes.

Subjective, personal opinions about a player in a thread about a new guitar from PRS.
1
Share
Old 18th April 2018
  #135
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
I've never heard anything by Mayer that I've said WOW.
His phrasing? Huh? His tone...always lacking.
Loved this from the first time I heard it. Great tone, excellent riff. Easy lick? I dunno, but he did it, and you didn't.

Old 18th April 2018
  #136
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Joe will always take the high road when asked about other guitarist.
But come on, really. John Mayer?!?
I've never heard anything by Mayer that I've said WOW.
His phrasing? Huh? His tone...always lacking.
Joe can cut Mayer into micro pieces without breaking a sweat.
Plus there are thousands of guitarist playing bars that are far better than Mayer.
Did you click on the first link? That was not something you do out of politeness.

To be honest I haven't heard most of Mayer's pop songs, as soft rock isn't my thing so most of my exposure has been through him playing with blues Artists. Which is also not my typical type of music, but hey I played the heck out of my dads old Leadbelly 78's

John Meyer went through some challenges with ego, but it sounds like he is trying to man up and get better at that. But note even near the height of that he takes pause and admires Derek Trucks playing here.




I agree with Vai here:



We probably just have really different world views, while I respect technical skill don't particularly enjoy continuous displays of it. In fact if I woke up tomorrow with all of Vai's skills I wouldn't ever play the way he does.

I also would never say he sucks, I feel he doesn't leave enough space in some of his work.

But if you want to know, as far as the blues goes people like Lightnin' Hopkins are what get me moving.




This is an example of what still moves me the most, but probably wouldn't rate on the virtuoso scale at all.



TL;DR: IMHO there are way too many flavors in this world to waste time by worrying about how other peoples arp skills fit in a stack rank, what their passions are or by trying to be critical of art you don't like. I just hope to have long life so I can experience as much as it as I can.

I hope you get the chance to do so too.
Old 18th April 2018
  #137
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkindler View Post
most of my exposure has been through him playing with blues Artists.
That's the issue I have with Mayer. It's like he is trying to prolong his career by hijacking the blues. The guy is not a blues player (at least not a good one).

His initial style of adult contemporary is dead as far as airplay and record sales. The only way he can make money is to tour with bigger artists. In some ways this was Clapton's fault by putting Mayer on Crossroads tours. We know Clapton was just looking to expand the tour's attendance by trying to lure more women and pop fans to the shows having Mayer on the bills. The problem is, serious blues fans don't buy into Mayer's fake watered down text book blues playing. What's really sad is people who know nothing about blues think Mayer can actually play.
Old 18th April 2018
  #138
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
That's the issue I have with Mayer. It's like he is trying to prolong his career by hijacking the blues. The guy is not a blues player (at least not a good one).

His initial style of adult contemporary is dead as far as airplay and record sales. The only way he can make money is to tour with bigger artists. In some ways this was Clapton's fault by putting Mayer on Crossroads tours. We know Clapton was just looking to expand the tour's attendance by trying to lure more women and pop fans to the shows having Mayer on the bills. The problem is, serious blues fans don't buy into Mayer's fake watered down text book blues playing. What's really sad is people who know nothing about blues think Mayer can actually play.
I am not even John Mayer fan, but I am seriously curious. Did he start this career extending effort by playing with Buddy Guy just two years after his first grammy in 2005?

I may just be slow, and missing something here, but is Eric Clapton just as slow as I?



Because I would love to play with the likes of John Scofield, Clapton and Buddy Guy. It is too late for B.B. King, but even if I could play with Herbie Hancock I would view it as a high point of my life.

To me it seems like as soon as he managed to get some credentials that he reached out to his heroes.

You do realize that rock is pretty much completely based in bad blues and gospel covers?



Which isn't even close to the original Howlin' Wolf version, I just don't get why people single out particular people out for this. I like the stones, but man from the B.B. King and Buddy Guy concerts it seems that John Meyer isn't nearly as much of a hack as people seem.

I get there is a bit of luck in finding a deal, but I guess these guys playing bars don't mind, if they don't, make the scene, they have daytime jobs, and doing alright.
Old 18th April 2018
  #139
Lives for gear
 

I’m pretty sure Mayer grew up on the blues and classic rock which was influenced by the blues.
Back when he got famous, he had kind of hijacked some of Dave Matthews thing and made it his own to a degree.
This is why I didn’t care much for Mayer at first.
I like Dave Matthews and felt like he was just kind of riding that wave. But Dave Matthews, whether you like him or not, technical guitarist or not, influenced a hell of a lot of people.
John, at one point in some interview admitted that Dave Matthews was a big influence on him.

I think John has always been a blues guy, it was just which direction to go with his music at that time. He liked Dave Matthews a lot, liked what they were doing, and did his own thing with it at the time.
But he’s always been a blues guy.
You can basically tell by how he plays.
That’s what he grew up on, like many of us.
He just had some training at , got a decent understanding of musicality and songwriting, got into some Dave Matthews and went his own way with that and the blues.
He really combined the two.

Adult contemporary or whatever you want to call it. It was basically using some some folk/bluegrass and blues to make albums that sold. Although I’m pretty sure the guy didn’t really see it that way at the time.
He was just doing what he felt, grew up on, and listened to.
I’d say he was probably a pretty good guitar player to even get into Berklee in the first place.
Old 18th April 2018
  #140
Gear Head
 

Wide ranging opinions on this Mayer PRS guitar.

I was hesitant to put another "two cents" in but figured one more opinion wouldn't matter in the long run.

Signature gear has never been of much impact on my buying decisions.

Mild curiosity in some instances is as high as I can rate any news has peaked my interest over the 40 plus years I have been a musician.

I bought a used Les Paul to replace a Gibson 335 in1967 because the smaller body and tone appealed to me more than the ergonomics and tone I could get using the 335. I knew who Les Paul and his former wife Mary Ford were but that really had no added mojo to buying the guitar I wanted to use at the time.

I hve heard of signature stuff over the years or seen different folk using this or that gear wise. It has put some curiosity to check something out but not given me the hot desire to hit a music store.

Having a tie in with someone famous has been a way to go for manufacturers for longer than any of us have been alive. I doesn't work on every potential customer but it does work on some customers.

I met Paul Reed Smith several years ago. I knew about his guitars and as I was a player of vintage Les Pauls folks would ask me if I had seen or tried his guitars. I think the reason was PRS was one of the very few that used highly figured wood that Gibson seemed unwilling to revive.

Smith's guitars were certainly well made and could have some "Gibson Glden Era" vibe to theor look.

I thought his guitars were very nicely made and looked good but they weren't something that would inspire me to jump from the vintage stuff I was happy with. He's a very knowledgable guy, know his stuff, plays quite well, I preferred the way what I was using sounded and the playability of the older guitars I had was not a deal breaker. I went through quite a few vintage Les Pauls before I got the ones I like the best. Just being old isn't the deal whatsoever. Really good guitars for me are a guitar at a time thing. Guitars are individual things and pairing up with one that suits a person is a search or a happy surprise. It's never been a guaranteed match made in heaven because of the brand or who else uses one. Paul didn't seem offended that I wasn't an owner or intender for his guitars at the time. I know folks that have his stuff and adore it.

Mayer is a player that matters to some folks. He's associated with a particular sort of guitar. One might not or believe that it's not a type of guitar associated with PRS. That sort of guitar is a type that sells well in the marketplace. I tend to think there's far more upside for Mayer and PRS than there is downside.

Viral online interest or controversary is usually far more PR worthy than another contender among the many releases every at NAMM which are lost in the noise and followed by apathy.

I can offer the opinion that Paul Reed Smith has made efforts to address some of the things some folks have thought of as "issues" with other 3 single coil bolt on guitars in the past.

It doesn't bother me that a signature guitar appears to be wanting to be something the signature artist want to put his name on.

I have certainly seen some signature guitars that are, in my opinion, priced more as a fan collectable than an aspiring working player instrument.

I think signature gear will be around until the market says no thanks...
Old 18th April 2018
  #141
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
That's the issue I have with Mayer. It's like he is trying to prolong his career by hijacking the blues. The guy is not a blues player (at least not a good one).

His initial style of adult contemporary is dead as far as airplay and record sales. The only way he can make money is to tour with bigger artists. In some ways this was Clapton's fault by putting Mayer on Crossroads tours. We know Clapton was just looking to expand the tour's attendance by trying to lure more women and pop fans to the shows having Mayer on the bills. The problem is, serious blues fans don't buy into Mayer's fake watered down text book blues playing. What's really sad is people who know nothing about blues think Mayer can actually play.
My apologies for singling your post out as there are more here just like it and frankly I find this sort of hater put down just trivial and short-sighted af. Nobody has the right to tell anyone else who to like or dislike but trying to justify that position by saying a cat is not respected in the field when he has just as many who obviously do respect his talent as those that do not, and from more than one field at that, is simply disingenuous cherry picking IMHO.

Saying that he's not a blues player is almost laughable since some blues cats are so narrow they argue whether Robert Cray is "really Blues". Some even say the same of Magic Sam. I was at a party in DC where Steven Stills stated he "came from The Blues" and Little Bobby Radcliffe said "You are no Bluesman, you're a poser" (I'm taking some liberties with exact wording since this place is censored) and they had to be forcibly held apart. Opinions and A-holes, right?

Since others have mentioned Clapton and Herbie Hancock (who admittedly used him only for song-writing, singing and background rhythm) I just have to ask did you not view the video I linked of Slash and Mayer with ZZ Top? those 3 guys are so established they don't need to kiss anybody's nether regions and they seem to respect Mayer. Me? I like some stuff he plays and some I don't care for but in all honesty I can't see anybody objectively saying the cat can't play.

OK you and many others don't like him for whatever reason but I think you have to admit anyone who actually can't play doesn't get to play with the likes of those who Mayer has been asked to play with, pure and simple.
1
Share
Old 18th April 2018
  #142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
I’m pretty sure Mayer grew up on the blues and classic rock which was influenced by the blues.
.
It's really obvious to those of us who know SRV's music well that John Mayer was obsessed with SRV as a kid and his entire guitar playing style is based on him. He even had an SRV guitar ! Nearly all of his licks are derived from SRV or BB King and other blues artists. His style is like SRV light. I would also note that he hired SRV's guitar tech Rene Martinez as soon as he could afford to and his tone setup is a take on SRV's multi amp setup.

I have a strong suspicion that John would rather simply play blues all the time, like he did with the Trio, than sing "your body is a wonderland" or whatever.

But John has bills to pay and he's used to being a famous multi-millionaire, and him whispering songs to women is what makes him money and keeps him relevant. The blues simply isn't going to keep that train rolling.

I'm not a fan of most of Mayer's music, I think he makes terrible stylistic choices and his vocal I just can't stand. That being said, he's clearly passionate about guitar and he's a an accomplished player - certainly not top tier like SRV, but well well above the norm and definitely professional caliber, even in blues.

I would also note that he has great taste in musicians - his trio has Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan - ferocious players. And he used Roy hargrove , the jazz trumpet player, on a tune a some point. Point being, he's clearly a music nerd.
2
Share
Old 18th April 2018
  #143
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
It's like he is trying to prolong his career by hijacking the blues. The guy is not a blues player (at least not a good one).
You people are really something.

He's just a musician trying to make music. That's what he does.


I don't get all the hate.
2
Share
Old 18th April 2018
  #144
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
You people are really something.

He's just a musician trying to make music. That's what he does.


I don't get all the hate.
I would not worry much about half baked psychobabble pretending to understand someone else's motivations . It's ludicrous at best.
Let alone the fact that Mayers career choices and motivations and or even his actual guitar skill level for that matter , are totally irrelevant to his guitar specification preferences for a PRS made signature guitar . The only thing relevant is if those specs , and the guitar itself suits any given individual players personal preference, That's it,,,, the rest is unadulterated BS and nonsense.
6
Share
Old 19th April 2018
  #145
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
I'm pretty sorry I started this
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump