The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One thing I really hate about the new PRS "Silver Sky" ...
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder if people realize all this falderal and press has probably had the opposite effect of the intended statement of displeasure , and may have helped served to have "sky rocketed" silver sky to the forefront of demand and back orders ...... Ha I am so Phunny .

Check out this great bit of photoshopped irony somebody dreamed up, that has been making the forum rounds

Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

It’s also not the first time they’ve done a Fender style take off with their own headstock..,,

PRS Guitars Introduces Brent Mason Signature Model
Old 11th April 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
It’s also not the first time they’ve done a Fender style take off with their own headstock..,,

That one looks really cool
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Cooler than this?

Man, it's fuzzy math. 2+2 = 3.47-768.........

Man, that thing is BUTT ugly!
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thats correct but actually they did two models ( I am guessing the Brent Mason is a signature version of one of these prior versions)

Looks like these came out in 2010
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Why does anyone care so much that there's another Strat in the world? There's probably a hundred non-Fender Strat models out there, if not more...
Old 11th April 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Why does anyone care so much that there's another Strat in the world? There's probably a hundred non-Fender Strat models out there, if not more...
Most people don't care what PRS does. Not caring means to not have any interest. There is no real hate for PRS and their Strat copy, just little interest among the masses. From the comments I see above, many people who are excited about the Mayer PRS Strat are people who have enjoyed other PRS guitars in the past. Who am I to tell them not to enjoy their PRS guitars. Each of us are different in what we like.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Most people don't care what PRS does. Not caring means to not have any interest. There is no real hate for PRS and their Strat copy, just little interest among the masses. From the comments I see above, many people who are excited about the Mayer PRS Strat are people who have enjoyed other PRS guitars in the past. Who am I to tell them not to enjoy their PRS guitars. Each of us are different in what we like.
Well Yes and NO..... Now yours is a reasonable reply and Yes may actually represent the majority BUT NO ,To clarify this is not just PRS fanboys imagination calling "just little interest " hate . There has in fact, been a very vocal (if a minority) that has pushed this particular model offering into the "Most controversial guitar ever" category.

One need only google "PRS Sliver Sky controversy" to get a feel for the amount ridiculous outcry. This is in fact
Here is just one of numerous Youtube videos specifically about or mentioning, this silly situation

Old 11th April 2018
Deleted User
I wish they would do a Tele> I do think its odd they went with the boring Strat basic paint job colors though
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I wonder if people realize all this falderal and press has probably had the opposite effect of the intended statement of displeasure , and may have helped served to have "sky rocketed" silver sky to the forefront of demand and back orders ...... Ha I am so Phunny .

Check out this great bit of photoshopped irony somebody dreamed up, that has been making the forum rounds

Didn't Fender make something like that once? The Robben Ford model?
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
I wish they would do a Tele> I do think its odd they went with the boring Strat basic paint job colors though
Mayer addresses the color choices in his video.
Tesla car colors essentially, which he felt were more appropriate for the times, while giving a nod to Fender's beginnings. Kind of a cool way of looking at it.

Personally I wish they would have done mint green or cream or eggshell pickguards and pickup covers. The super white plastic parts are always a horribly cheap look IMO...
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Addict

I'm a Fender guy, but I'm happy to see PRS jump into the single coil market. The increased competition over the past 10-15 years forced Fender to step its game up, and I personally think that Fender's American Professional line largely improved its prior American made guitars. I'd be very curious to compare the Silver Sky to an American Professional Strat, although I am skeptical that the higher cost of the SS is justified over an American Pro Strat. To be fair to PRS, I don't really think any of Fender's higher priced "Elite" or custom guitars are worth the extra $$$ either.

My bigger question though is why PRS made such a traditional Strat. Obviously it's a signature guitar and John Mayer apparently wanted a pretty traditional strat -- down to the vintage 7.25" radius neck. It just seems to me that the qualities that draws many people to PRS -- the 24 fret fast playing necks, versatile pickup switching configurations, the custom humbuckers etc.... -- are completely absent on this guitar. Again just speaking for myself, a Fender player, but I would have preferred to see PRS jump in with both a Mayer signature guitar and also something a little less traditional. Why not offer a three coil guitar with the PRS neck and electronics?

Anyway, just wanted to show that not all of us Fender fans are "hating" on PRS!
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Didn't Fender make something like that once? The Robben Ford model?
I have no idea maybe, but that is just a photoshopped prototypical PRS body with an upside down Fender headstock and some pretty clever wording
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I'm a Fender guy, but I'm happy to see PRS jump into the single coil market. The increased competition over the past 10-15 years forced Fender to step its game up, and I personally think that Fender's American Professional line largely improved its prior American made guitars. I'd be very curious to compare the Silver Sky to an American Professional Strat, although I am skeptical that the higher cost of the SS is justified over an American Pro Strat. To be fair to PRS, I don't really think any of Fender's higher priced "Elite" or custom guitars are worth the extra $$$ either.

My bigger question though is why PRS made such a traditional Strat. Obviously it's a signature guitar and John Mayer apparently wanted a pretty traditional strat -- down to the vintage 7.25" radius neck. It just seems to me that the qualities that draws many people to PRS -- the 24 fret fast playing necks, versatile pickup switching configurations, the custom humbuckers etc.... -- are completely absent on this guitar. Again just speaking for myself, a Fender player, but I would have preferred to see PRS jump in with both a Mayer signature guitar and also something a little less traditional. Why not offer a three coil guitar with the PRS neck and electronics?

All good questions

Here is a video where Paul addresses some of those questions

Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
@Radius: Nobody says that about the Fenders.
I do. Hate the rounded narrow fingerboards and the damn string trees.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I have no idea maybe, but that is just a photoshopped prototypical PRS body with an upside down Fender headstock and some pretty clever wording
No, I know that. But they did make a double-cutaway Gibson/PRS style dual humbucker guitar for a while.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

You'll notice on the other prs strat copies, the head stock and tuners arent offset like on the Mayer model.
They don't have the vintage tremolo either.
I'd probably rather have the prs tremolo and standard head stock honestly.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleharmonium View Post
I do. Hate the rounded narrow fingerboards and the damn string trees.
Well, not the die-hard loves old strat types.

I have 5 guitars.

1) A Caparison. Really flat but thick neck that is narrow. Easily the best playing guitar I have.

2) An Ibanez 1520a. Thin neck, wider, and a reasonable radius. But it plays well too, just different.

3) A Carvin Cali carved top. Thick and narrow with a 14" radius, this guitar is the LEAST playable 6 that I own, BY FAR. (but it sounds awesome)

4) A Deluxe murican strat. Compound radius (9.5 to 14) and is kinda thin and narrow. This is number 2 on my list of playability and I like the action up a little higher.

5) A seven string that is 26.5 scale. I hate it and wish to sell it. I hate 7 strings, I'd rather tune a 6er down but live and learn. Nothing wrong with the guitar I just decided 7's are not for me.

The point? They are wildly different but I have things I like about all of them (even the 7 string for the song or two I use it for) So a 7.25" radius may be exactly what the doctor ordered for certain things.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
So a 7.25" radius may be exactly what the doctor ordered for certain things.
No doubt, they are wildly popular. Just not with me, because of those design choices. They are the right tool for doing lots of bluesy bends with light strings and an unwound G, which is a thing I have no use for.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Cool. I do, so, it's a crazy thing this universe we navigate, it's based on personal needs.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

While it is true that once PRS Incorporated became a reality, the line was all Humbucker, Paul's prototypes used single coils based on P-90s. I strongly suspect there will be derivatives from the Mayer guitar that will be less traditional. Paul rarely stops experimenting and growing.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

No doubt that PRS makes superb instruments. Never had a problem in recording great tones from well setup PRS guitars, and this includes the Korean made ones as well. Have owned two PRS in the past which were great instruments but having played Gibsons all my life I could not get used to them (and the birds did not help either). As a brand they have a good reputation and they have their customer niche already so it is questionable if making a "fairly ugly" strat copy is a clever move. I think this guitar will be in their catalogue a year or two and then disappear into oblivion.

Quote:
You cannot expect anything but flack on GS by bringing up any love for the following subjects:

1 Pop Music

2 The Neumann U87ai

3 PRS Guitars

4 AVID

True, and add there the Neumann TLM 103 and the Universal Audio La 610
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
As a brand they have a good reputation and they have their customer niche already so it is questionable if making a "fairly ugly" strat copy is a clever move. I think this guitar will be in their catalogue a year or two and then disappear into oblivion.
Indeed longevity is the true test of success , but I would put the indication point more like 3-5 years. Interesting to note, given the resounding success its launch has enjoyed so far, pre orders, back orders and waiting lists etc and perhaps most importantly "notoriety", and all the early predictions of it being a failure from the "get go" proved totally mistaken. No doubt the "wait a few years" has become the default position of it's detractors
But then again given the fact that it is a big departure from most of line looks and probably sound wise , (I know my interest is perked for exactly that reason) and then add to that the longevity of the "fairly ugly" Fender Stratocaster, perhaps it will prove to be a very clever move -Time will tell
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
No doubt that PRS makes superb instruments. Never had a problem in recording great tones from well setup PRS guitars, and this includes the Korean made ones as well. Have owned two PRS in the past which were great instruments but having played Gibsons all my life I could not get used to them (and the birds did not help either). As a brand they have a good reputation and they have their customer niche already so it is questionable if making a "fairly ugly" strat copy is a clever move. I think this guitar will be in their catalogue a year or two and then disappear into oblivion.

True, and add there the Neumann TLM 103 and the Universal Audio La 610
Don't forget anything by Rode...
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
I here ya. American Fender and Gibsons tend to hold resale value or go up in price more than any other brand of guitars.
The customs, probably more so.
I think I've only bought one guitar new. And that was a les paul studio a few years ago.
I could sell it for the same or a bit more than I paid, according to current eBay prices. And Gibson pumped those things out like crazy over the past 5 years or so. It's not like it's rare.
It's just a Gibson, has a cool finish, and has "made in u.s.a." embossed on the back of the headstock.
I wouldn't bet on replica Fender and Gibsons being so special on price in the coming decades, as the Baby Boomer and Gen X groups age this may very well suffer the same fate of Hot Rods or classic bicycles, where the market has fallen significantly.

Sure the instruments that are super nice will still have a differential, but I have noticed lots of very active touring bands playing Epiphone and Squires guitars (which lets be honest play better than a lot of Gibson and Fender guitars from the 70's and the 80's due to CNC)

But as those of us who grew up in an era with guitar heros retire, downsize and or die off I am not sure that it will matter as much. Sure they will be worth more, but I wouldn't bet my retirement on them maintaining or going up in value.

This video Esmé Patterson kind of shows the attitude I am noticing with the younger musicians I talk to.

YouTube

The funny thing is I actually traded for a C24 in a package deal, thinking I was going to make out financially well, and they are way too flashy for my personal taste but it appears that the leprechaun tooth guitar I bought has some mineral staining and lines in the finish that makes it unattractive to the typical PRS buyer. I made the mistake of playing it quite a bit and I really like it much more than the Les Paul signature model or a strat and I find myself picking it up a lot more than I thought. At this point you couldn't get me to trade for a LP unless there was some huge difference in value. I wouldn't keep that LP but I will probably keep this C24.

On a general thread level:

While I am not a John Mayer fan, it is funny that people are complaining about a signature guitar. John Mayer is probably the closest we have to a guitar god in the changing music industry today. I would guess that he could get anything he wanted from any company so people putting these decisions on PRS is a bit weird. It is strat like because that is what he wanted. While not my cup of tea at least it isn't nearly as ugly as the Steve Vai JEM.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkindler View Post

While I am not a John Mayer fan, it is funny that people are complaining about a signature guitar.
Not to mention a Les Paul is a signature guitar
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
John Mayer is probably the closest we have to a guitar god in the changing music industry today.
John Mayer is not even close to being a guitar god. He is pretty much average among his peers. There are a million unknown guys on YT that can out play him as well. Mayer can sing well and write decent songs that is his thing.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
John Mayer is not even close to being a guitar god. He is pretty much average among his peers. There are a million unknown guys on YT that can out play him as well. Mayer can sing well and write decent songs that is his thing.
I think you are missing the point here, it is not technical chops. It is about exposure and inspiration, which John Mayer isn't ideal for either. A custom shop Strat won't maintain it's increasing value if everyone is jumping on Ableton and not playing guitar.

Gold & Platinum - RIAA

Elvis wasn't anything special either, but he sold a lot of records and encouraged a lot of people to play. He encouraged a lot more people to learn to play the guitar than Yngwie Malmsteen ever did.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
Well no he certainly isn't among the hundreds of sweep picking 14 year olds on YouTube but his playing is tasteful and fitting for each song he produces. Which is an art unto itself.

This is what is great about opinions, everyone has theirs, the problem is when they become stated as indisputable facts.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Elvis wasn't anything special either
Elvis was very special. He was very musical and he was an iconic front man

Quote:
He encouraged a lot more people to learn to play the guitar than Yngwie Malmsteen ever did.
No way, I'll take the bait though. Malmsteen's style of Neo Classical rock/metal is way more popular among guitarists and artists than playing Chuck Berry licks like Mayer does. YM was pretty special in those early years of his career. He was very unique at one time. Just because you don't like Metal doesn't discount the legions of Malmsteen There are millions. You can bring up Malmsteen since you know the predicable Metal haters here will back your cliche' rhetoric. Not me though. Mayer is not even as good as Slash. YM is top 5 of all time in rock.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search