The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One thing I really hate about the new PRS "Silver Sky" ...
Old 9th April 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Why? It's just another strat clone more-or-less with a PRS head stock. Big deal. You can't outdo Fender when it comes to making Fender guitars. Get the real thing.
Suhr has been doing it for a long time. And I'll take that PRS vibrato system over any Fender.
1
Share
Old 9th April 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
7'25 radius ????

That's not a fretboard. It's a log!

And the guitar looks plain awful with that headstock
Many 60s Fenders with that kind of radius....this was based on early Sixties Fenders.
Old 9th April 2018
  #33
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Many 60s Fenders with that kind of radius....this was based on early Sixties Fenders.
I know

But they still are pretty uncomfortable to play

It kinda reminds me the 12 strings of the 70s. Why would anyone ever want to make a fretboard that hard to play?

I'd LOVE a 60s sounding Fender, with all features EXCEPT for those fretboards.

12" neck radius are a joy to play. Don't know why Fender (unlike G&L) almost never produce them.
Old 9th April 2018
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
John Mayer is mediocre? LOL

Not my cup of tea but hardly "mediocre"

TH
He is an above average writer and decent singer, but definitely a below average guitarists by today's standards. He isn't all that innovative nor is he all that melodic considering his writing ability. His rhythm and lead guitar work are very predictable.
Old 9th April 2018
  #35
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
He is an above average writer and decent singer, but definitely a below average guitarists by today's standards. He isn't all that innovative nor is he all that melodic considering his writing ability. His rhythm and lead guitar work are very predictable.
"today's standards" where can I read more about those? lol


TH
3
Share
Old 9th April 2018
  #36
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
I know

But they still are pretty uncomfortable to play

It kinda reminds me the 12 strings of the 70s. Why would anyone ever want to make a fretboard that hard to play?

I'd LOVE a 60s sounding Fender, with all features EXCEPT for those fretboards.

12" neck radius are a joy to play. Don't know why Fender (unlike G&L) almost never produce them.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree, I'll take 12 any day!

TH
Old 9th April 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
"today's standards" where can I read more about those? lol
TH
You may want to get on YT and watch videos of modern players, as opposed to reading about it. Mayer's playing is stuck in the 1950s early 60s. There are literally 50 years of players that have gone past what he is stuck in
Old 9th April 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post

12" neck radius are a joy to play. Don't know why Fender (unlike G&L) almost never produce them.
you can always re-radius the fret-board and refret it. That's what I do. Also fender necks are disposable. That was the point of the Bolton design. You can buy warmoth replacement necks with 12in radius and swap them out
1
Share
Old 9th April 2018
  #39
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
You may want to get on YT and watch videos of modern players, as opposed to reading about it. Mayer's playing is stuck in the 1950s early 60s. There are literally 50 years of players that have gone past what he is stuck in
You may want to get OFF YouTube and learn that people play what they feel, what they feel fits the song, and what they want to hear on playback.

This is the kind post the facepalm as invented for, but I'll resist.

TH
1
Share
Old 9th April 2018
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
You may want to get OFF YouTube and learn that people play what they feel, what they feel fits the song, and what they want to hear on playback.
My point exactly. Don't think he does anything to maximize his songs

He does nothing melodic or memorable on guitar. There is such a talent disconnect between his vocal performances and his guitar playing. IMO he should hire a lead guitar player to help him maximize his song potential. I realize he is already famous and successful but he still lacks identity in his playing. First thing he needs to do is define a signature vibrato. That is the #1 thing in common with all guitar gods is their vibrato is unique. With a unique vibrato you only have to play one note and people know who it is. This way you never have to play too many meaningless notes like Mayer does.
Old 9th April 2018
  #41
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
my point exactly. Don't think he does anything to maximize his songs
He does nothing melodic on guitar.
Agree to disagree, based on what I have heard, though again, have not listened to a whole lot of his music.
Old 9th April 2018
  #42
Lives for gear
 



But I disagree, about pop music. That is a strange bedfellow..........

But the guitar, it's cool wit me.
Old 9th April 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Many 60s Fenders with that kind of radius....this was based on early Sixties Fenders.
Not incorrect. But I said that, seems ignored, oh well.........


AGAIN, peeps, my broheims, it's not about the guitar PER SAY, it's about the fact that everone and their mum (other than me) has one of these on the internet!

Cripes, they've lost money just giving all these ya-hoos guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9th April 2018
  #44
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
It's not a Strat for heaven's sake, and if you have any relationship at all with a dealer, it's not 2300

TH
Lets see here says a Strat player= ME

1. Strat body design
2. THREE single coil pickups
3. Five way selector switch
4. Bolt on neck
5. Neck base off of 63-64 Strat
6. 25.5 scale
7. Alder body
8. 1.65 nut or as PRS calls it 1 21/32 LOL
9. Bone nut
10. Maple neck
11. One Volume & Two Tones

Come on man, give it up. I have no horse in this one, I have a PRS as well here but thats a STRAT with a PRS headstock or GIbson we should say
1
Share
Old 9th April 2018
  #45
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Lets see here says a Strat player= ME

1. Strat body design
2. THREE single coil pickups
3. Five way selector switch
4. Bolt on neck
5. Neck base off of 63-64 Strat
6. 25.5 scale
7. Alder body
8. 1.65 nut or as PRS calls it 1 21/32 LOL
9. Bone nut
10. Maple neck
11. One Volume & Two Tones

Come on man, give it up. I have no horse in this one, I have a PRS as well here but thats a STRAT with a PRS headstock or GIbson we should say
It's obviously a Strat takeoff, but why would PRS have any obligation to copy the headstock? It's a PRS, not a Strat...

I could care less as I'm not a Strat fan to begin with, it's just funny to see PRS get bashed for a guitar no one up here has played yet.
Old 9th April 2018
  #46
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
It's not a Strat for heaven's sake, and if you have any relationship at all with a dealer, it's not 2300

TH
... But it very well could be 1337 AF
Old 9th April 2018
  #47
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
It's obviously a Strat takeoff, but why would PRS have any obligation to copy the headstock? It's a PRS, not a Strat...

I could care less as I'm not a Strat fan to begin with, it's just funny to see PRS get bashed for a guitar no one up here has played yet.
The reason it is being bashed is because PRS is making it, that is it, end of story.. People love to hate the successful upstart that has now become a significant player numbers wise.
PRS for electric and Taylor for acoustic

For example I don't recall anywhere near... or any of the the "hubbub" when any of the other strat based guitars came on the market. Anderson , Suhr , Music Man, etc.etc.etc.etc.

Have you ever seen anyone complain that the Music Man Cutlass has tuners on both sides of the head ?

Honestly I think the reverse PRS style headstock looks better than a Fender headstock but that is just personal aesthetics Plus it seems blatantly obvious, if you don't like it then don't buy it

Last edited by KevWind; 9th April 2018 at 09:21 PM..
Old 9th April 2018
  #48
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Every twit on youtube has one and you can't get them here 'till July

Yeah, I really really want one
Well not every twit but yes it is frustrating.

But it (YT) seems to be working in PRS's favor
Because ......
My local store owner says he has a waiting list of about 30 people and has only had 1 (in black) of the four he ordered (one in each color) come into the shop as of yesterday. And it was out the door 30 minutes after he started calling the list.
So it may be a while and I am guessing as long as it stays like that there will be no discount (which he normally is pretty good about.)

Last edited by KevWind; 9th April 2018 at 09:22 PM..
Old 9th April 2018
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Why do people care that it's a strat copy? Nobody get's upset with all the boutique companies that do it (and some charge CRAZY money for them)

I still think the Andertons AFJ was an awesome response.
1
Share
Old 10th April 2018
  #50
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The reason it is being bashed is because PRS is making it, that is it, end of story.. People love to hate the successful upstart that has now become a significant player numbers wise.
PRS for electric and Taylor for acoustic

Honestly I think the reverse PRS style headstock looks better than a Fender headstock but that is just personal aesthetics Plus it seems blatantly obvious, if you don't like it then don't buy it

Ya know I find this funny, I have and play a PRS SE Singlecut, Taylor 314CE and a HSS Fender Strat. I like them all just fine as well. No one is bashing anything.
I wouldnt expect Gibson to copy a Strat and put the tuners split either. Id buy a Charvel instead. IF the tuners were in line Id look at the PRS so aesthetics are important as well. Im not a Strat lover anyway and would rather jam on a HS Tele

Carry on and those who buy one please start a new thread and let us know what ya think, ROck ON
Old 10th April 2018
  #51
Lives for gear
 

The discussion is all good. Again, I thought it was just a clever way to say "hey man, everyone and their uncle has one on youtube"

It's fine if someone doesn't like it but companies have been doing super strats for decedes and I've never heard this much negative talk.

It's going to be July appartently before you can get one in the states, so I have till then to save my squeegy money and get one. But I'll have to play it first, which means I may never get one.
Old 10th April 2018
  #52
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The reason it is being bashed is because PRS is making it, that is it, end of story..
Agreed. JMHO.

TH
1
Share
Old 10th April 2018
  #53
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The reason it is being bashed is because PRS is making it, that is it, end of story..
I don't know dude, really.

Personally I feel the same way about PRS guitars as I do about Music Man guitars; and Taylor's for that matter. They are pretty and well-built, but there is nothing special about the tone. They are just sort of...meh.

But that's only my opinion.
2
Share
Old 10th April 2018
  #54
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
I don't know dude, really.

Personally I feel the same way about PRS guitars as I do about Music Man guitars; and Taylor's for that matter. They are pretty and well-built, but there is nothing special about the tone. They are just sort of...meh.

But that's only my opinion.
Which is a totally valid personal subjective opinion, And I am guessing you likely have actually played at least one or more of them , to make such a determination . And I can agree, because I feel the same way about Martin acoustics and Gibson LP tone... meh ...

But that is not an excuse nore a reason to proceed to bash them about on the internet, especially sight unseen and unplayed, which was my point . The reason it is happening has nothing to do with having auditioned the guitar and not cared for the tone ......... it has to do with it being a PRS strat style offering.
Old 10th April 2018
  #55
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Ya know I find this funny, I have and play a PRS SE Singlecut, Taylor 314CE and a HSS Fender Strat. I like them all just fine as well. No one is bashing anything.
I wouldnt expect Gibson to copy a Strat and put the tuners split either. Id buy a Charvel instead. IF the tuners were in line Id look at the PRS so aesthetics are important as well. Im not a Strat lover anyway and would rather jam on a HS Tele

Carry on and those who buy one please start a new thread and let us know what ya think, ROck ON
I suppose It depends on ones definition of "bashing" But again, differences personal aesthetics is fine, to be expected and as it should be , And I did not say it is does not play a role in people's guitar preferences and purchase choices , including mine
To say "I don't like the the look of the headstock" is fine ,,, But do not kid yourself the internet is awash with negative (bashing) comments about PRS for simply doing what plenty of other makers have done. So much so, that there have been several Youtube Videos done specifically about the "controversy" and negative reaction and numerous reviews have mentioned it .
And I totally agree, it would be nice to hear reports from actual experience

Last edited by KevWind; 10th April 2018 at 01:57 PM..
Old 10th April 2018
  #56
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Which is a totally valid personal subjective opinion, And I am guessing you likely have actually played at least one or more of them , to make such a determination . And I can agree, because I feel the same way about Martin acoustics and Gibson LP tone... meh ...

But that is not an excuse nore a reason to proceed to bash them about on the internet, especially sight unseen and unplayed, which was my point . The reason it is happening has nothing to do with having auditioned the guitar and not cared for the tone ......... it has to do with it being a PRS strat style offering.
I have played several PRS and Music Man guitars, yes. And again, they are impressively pretty and obviously well-built. There would not be so many successful manufacturer's if it weren't for a wide diversity of taste among musician's.

And I agree with you that "the reason...has nothing to do with having auditioned the guitar and not cared for the tone". But rather has everything to do with every PRS offering in the history of the company just never has any mojo.

So for a non-mojo company like PRS to issue a Strat (which is known for mojo) is an absurd concept to a lot of people. I'm not arguing, so don't get me wrong. Just having a little dialogue.

Take Orianthi for instance. What an amazing guitarist, but there is nothing about her tone that is special or that kicks ass. As amazing as John Petrucci is, his tone kind of sounds like Toto. Which I guess could be the Music Man guitar thing again. Lukather has his own MM model.

I've seen several of these guys live and loved the show. I've seen Steve Morse Petrucci, Lukather. Great shows! But in the end, it all sounds like a movie/TV soundtrack.

Some people dig that, some don't. Thank the god's for variety.
1
Share
Old 10th April 2018
  #57
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
I have played several PRS and Music Man guitars, yes. And again, they are impressively pretty and obviously well-built. There would not be so many successful manufacturer's if it weren't for a wide diversity of taste among musician's.
Absolutely

Quote:
And I agree with you that "the reason...has nothing to do with having auditioned the guitar and not cared for the tone". But rather has everything to do with every PRS offering in the history of the company just never has any mojo.
Then actually we do not really agree on the second sentence . Because first and foremost "mojo" (whatever that is) is a personal subjective opinion or feel (So lets say for the sake of argument "mojo" is that combination of sound and feel and personal reaction that makes you want to reach for your wallet). Then your having played "a few" MM and PRS which left you uninspired and your wallet unopened, is fine......... BUT far more importantly and objectively (and the reason we disagree) is, having played even " a few " of any guitar is an extremely limited exposure. And a specious at best, and possibly even "absurd" bassis, to label the entire production history as "never has any mojo. " Now maybe that would still prove to be the case for you personally, with enough actual hands on playing experience, but playing a "few" does not remotely objectively really get you there.


Quote:
So for a non-mojo company like PRS to issue a Strat (which is known for mojo) is an absurd concept to a lot of people. I'm not arguing, so don't get me wrong. Just having a little dialogue.
Ok so in terms of labeling an entire company as "non-mojo" based on playing a "few" samples while it may feel like it is justified from a purely personal emotional standpoint, but is arguably specious from an objective standpoint. And in terms of then projecting that notion on to a completely new offering with more than likely a completely new and different sound and feel is the definition of speciousness.

As for dialog ... when I decided to get back into electric after 40 years of acoustic.... I played probably 20 Fender Strats and 15 or so Tele's... that honestly for me were uninspiring. So using your criteria, I can and am now qualified to determine that Fender is a Non-Mojo company and "in the history of the company just never has any mojo." Hummmm?

But the thing is I know that notion is objectively nonsense and obviously just a personal opinion, based on limited personal experience... But again and far more importantly,,,,, why would would anyone care enough to find it "absurd" that PRS might possibly be making just another possibly uninspiring Strat type guitar, yet do not seem to find it absurd that MusicMan or a dozen other companies makes an uninspired Strat style ?????? It is not like they are going to be forced to buy the PRS one, who cares ??? IMO it is this "find it absurd" that is actually ....absurd.

So I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. which is also fine.

Last edited by KevWind; 10th April 2018 at 03:24 PM..
Old 10th April 2018
  #58
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Absolutely


Ok so in terms of labeling an entire company as "non-mojo" based on playing a "few" samples while it may feel like it is justified from a purely personal emotional standpoint, but is arguably specious from an objective standpoint. And in terms of then projecting that notion on to a completely new offering with more than likely a completely new and different sound and feel is the definition of speciousness.
All I know is that I've been playing for decades with all the usual suspects and none have any more "mojo" than my current PRS DGT.

TH
Old 10th April 2018
  #59
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
LMFAO! Apparently "Chevy r0x, Ford Sux" is alive and well just re-purposed.
1
Share
Old 10th April 2018
  #60
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
LMFAO! Apparently "Chevy r0x, Ford Sux" is alive and well just re-purposed.
The minute someone shows up with the picture of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbs pissing on a PRS guitar, I know we're officially in D0uchebag Bro Slutz territory.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump