The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ac.guitar is hard to play Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
I was just doing a spaced pair of SDCs some 40cm away.
Not ideal, but ok. Performance is still more an issue
Performance always trumps everything else.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yes, but actually I was fooled a little by my fxs. Disabled all fx, and.. sounded better. Tracked it down to compressor and transient designer.
Man, acoustic guitar is picky regarding compressor
Old 18th May 2018
Quote:
Yes, but actually I was fooled a little by my fxs. Disabled all fx, and.. sounded better. Tracked it down to compressor and transient designer.
Man, acoustic guitar is picky regarding compressor
I don't generally compress acoustic guitar. Usually compression is not needed when you don't have the mic too close.

Or transient designers, for that matter.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't generally compress acoustic guitar. Usually compression is not needed when you don't have the mic too close.

Or transient designers, for that matter.
I tend to agree. But after some struggle I found a comp that did 70ms lookahead and slow settings. Put everything nicely in balance and tone.

The average home studio owner don't have a perfect room for recording ac.guitar,
so we do the best we can
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

The secret to playing acoustic guitar is simply to play a lot of ACOUSTIC guitar. It's as simple as that. A lot of mainly electric players tend to think they are o.k on acoustic because the instrument is the 'same'. But in reality acoustic guitar is almost a different instrument and this has so much to do with touch. And you only get that with practice.

An inexperienced acoustic player will often play too hard (I know I did that for a long time) and choke the sound or use too many bends, etc when soloing. Basically trying to use electric technique which only works in certain situations.

Recording acoustic guitar is merciless as it's a very soft instrument yet it is also not directional. This not only makes the room and setup super important but it also means that any unintentional sounds (buzzing, clothing touching the wood, etc) will often be louder that the actual notes that were attempted by the player.
That's also one reason that compression can be disastrous. A good player however will produce a smooth and even tone and so the use of compression is more about tone and vibe. Stephen Stills did this a lot, whereas the compressor 'electrifies' the acoustic guitar and adds sustain and power as in 'Bluebird' or 'Judy Blue Eyes^and many other classic tracks.

I noticed that a lot of great acoustic players use a very light touch but still get a very focused and tight sound.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
this is so true... if more producers thought this way, a lot less boring, stale music would be out there
Old 22nd May 2018
Quote:
I tend to agree. But after some struggle I found a comp that did 70ms lookahead and slow settings. Put everything nicely in balance and tone.

The average home studio owner don't have a perfect room for recording ac.guitar,
so we do the best we can
You don't need a perfect room. What you DO need is a high quality mic with excellent off axis response so that it won't make your room tone turn ugly. If the guitar sounds good to the ear when played in the room there is no reason for the recording not to be equally good excerpt for a bad mic.... or bad mic technique. Most popular mics do not have good off-axis response. Some very popular ones are extremely poor in that respect.

A compressor won't help with room tone. If anything it will make it worse, as compressors bring up quieter sounds. A compressor will also exaggerate artifacts like string squeak, rustling, finger noise, etc.
Old 29th May 2018
Here for the gear

I second what Eppstein said. Compression will bring out the room more which is exactly what you don't want when recording in a bedroom. I also agree with what he said about mic distance. Don't need as much or any compression with the mic further away. But this also brings out the room more (more naturally compared to compressing) but also what you don't want with when recording in a bedroom. Which brings me to a tip regarding the performance part of an acoustic guitar; practice A LOT in A LOT of different rooms. Like drums, the instrument is gonna sound a hellova lot different in depending on the room. I practice mostly in my small bedroom. When I go to another space, the instrument feels and sounds a lot different. Enough to throw off the performer's touch and dynamics. IMO I would rather capture the player in a room that they're comfortable with even if that meant a small, square, drywall bedroom, instead of putting the player in a large wonderful room that they have no idea how to "play with." Playing in different rooms elimnates this. Could just be me though, but still doesn't hurt to practice
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

This is my latest effort in the acoustic guitar direction:
https://geirsolerod.bandcamp.com/track/i-evighet

For me it's quite a task with such a naked arrangement, getting the voice and guitar natural and good sounding.

Feel free to give suggestion for improvements as I know some of you are quite experienced and picky regarding playing, arranging, tracking and mixing ac.guitar
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search