The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Strat Pickups for Pop Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Head

Strat Pickups for Pop

Hey guys-

I'm looking to replace the stock pickups in my Fender American 70s Reissue Stratocaster. I actually really like the middle and neck stock pickups, but definitely need to revamp the tone on the bridge, and feel like all of them could be leveled up. Every time I do my research online, I see a lot of blues and hard rock players doing overdriven and distorted stuff which is not the way I play at all. I really like bright, punchy, sharp, clean sounds. I play through a JC120 amp, and use compression a lot, and never really any drive. Some examples of tone I like are bands like Talking Heads / Adrian Belew and Roxy Music, and even a lot of Madonna's 80s stuff. I know an active pickup would be up my alley, but I don't want to dive into that yet. Just looking for something that plays well clean, and cuts through a mix. And most of all, I want it to sound like a Strat. any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 10th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrite View Post
Hey guys-

I'm looking to replace the stock pickups in my Fender American 70s Reissue Stratocaster. I actually really like the middle and neck stock pickups, but definitely need to revamp the tone on the bridge, and feel like all of them could be leveled up. Every time I do my research online, I see a lot of blues and hard rock players doing overdriven and distorted stuff which is not the way I play at all. I really like bright, punchy, sharp, clean sounds. I play through a JC120 amp, and use compression a lot, and never really any drive. Some examples of tone I like are bands like Talking Heads / Adrian Belew and Roxy Music, and even a lot of Madonna's 80s stuff. I know an active pickup would be up my alley, but I don't want to dive into that yet. Just looking for something that plays well clean, and cuts through a mix. And most of all, I want it to sound like a Strat. any recommendations? Thanks!
Lindy Fralin Real 54

You might want to call them and discuss options - there are options besides those listed on the web page.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Addict

Fralins are very good pickups, you can't go wrong with them.

You may also want to check out Lollar Strat Tweeds or Blonde. I replaced the lace gold sensors on my strat with Lollar's Dirty Blonde set and they sound fantastic. Notwithstanding the name, they are plenty clean, bright and chimey just like a good strat should sound. The Lollar Tweeds will be even cleaner and brighter still and would be roughly comparable to the Fralin Real 54's.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

For me, for clean Strat tones it all about the Bill Lawrence pickups.

I've had his pickups in my Strat for 12 years now and still love the tones, whether I'm going direct/DI or to one of my amps its always satisfying.

The model I've enjoyed for the bridge pickup is the 290 SL and I also have his handmade Q-Filter installed which I really like.

I feel like I hear the character of my instrument, not the character of a pickup.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrite View Post
I really like bright, punchy, sharp, clean sounds. I play through a JC120 amp, and use compression a lot, and never really any drive. Some examples of tone I like are bands like Talking Heads / Adrian Belew and Roxy Music, and even a lot of Madonna's 80s stuff. I know an active pickup would be up my alley, but I don't want to dive into that yet. Just looking for something that plays well clean, and cuts through a mix. And most of all, I want it to sound like a Strat. any recommendations? Thanks!
Based on ^^^that description, I would definitely suggest Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

I am a big fan of Adrian Belew as well. I think he has some of the best clean Strat tones that don't sound overused. I get that sound with Classic Strat Stacks...they are noise cancelling, which help if you use some processing...also I hate hum.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search