The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Hiwatt
Old 21st February 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 
HiwattUKofficial's Avatar
 

Hiwatt

Hi All,

My name is Dave, I work for the new owners of Hiwatt.

I'm posting to introduce myself, answer questions and generally talk all things Hiwatt!

The trademark was bought by a Canadian team of Hiwatt enthusiasts 2 years ago, since then they have assembled a team of highly skilled, dedicated people to bring the brand back to it's former glory.
We've used the last 2 years designing and really focussing on building the highest quality amps.

The official relaunch of Hiwatt is this spring at Musikmesse in Frankfurt.

We have some exciting new products coming which I'll post about in the 'New Product Alert' forum when the press releases are ready!

Hope you're all well and look forward to talking Hiwatt.
Old 21st February 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Interesting - I'll look forward to seeing what you have to offer.
Old 21st February 2018
  #3
Gear Nut
 
logodave's Avatar
 

Dave,
I'm very interested in Hiwatt's new products. I will be watching. Is a website up and running? It's always been difficult to get solid information or even find Hiwatt dealer's in the USA.
Thanks,
Dave

PS, just checked the website, looks great.

Last edited by logodave; 21st February 2018 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Post
Old 21st February 2018
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Bramley's Avatar
 

Congrats. I knew Dave Reeves well and worked for Top Gear on Denmark Street ,the original London Hiwatt dealer in '72-

Thought I'd post a bit of history for you.

As mentioned earlier Dave Reeves of... - Top Gear Music London | Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
Hiwatt-thewatt.jpg  
Old 22nd February 2018
  #5
Here for the gear
 
HiwattUKofficial's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleeden View Post
Interesting - I'll look forward to seeing what you have to offer.
Thanks littleeden!
Old 22nd February 2018
  #6
Here for the gear
 
HiwattUKofficial's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by logodave View Post
Dave,
I'm very interested in Hiwatt's new products. I will be watching. Is a website up and running? It's always been difficult to get solid information or even find Hiwatt dealer's in the USA.
Thanks,
Dave

PS, just checked the website, looks great.
Hi logodave,

Thanks for the response.

We are currently operating through our sister company, Maxwatt in North America due to the Hiwatt TM in the region being owned by a separate party.
Maxwatt Custom Amps are built by the same hands in the same facility in England as all of our Hiwatt amps.

You can find Maxwatt here - Maxwatt

If you have anymore questions just let me know.

Best,

Dave
Old 22nd February 2018
  #7
Here for the gear
 
HiwattUKofficial's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramley View Post
Congrats. I knew Dave Reeves well and worked for Top Gear on Denmark Street ,the original London Hiwatt dealer in '72-

Thought I'd post a bit of history for you.

As mentioned earlier Dave Reeves of... - Top Gear Music London | Facebook
Thanks Bramley!

What a time to be working on Denmark Street!

I assure you we are working hard round the clock to bring Hiwatt back to the legendary status it deserves. We'll have some product videos and sound clips arriving over the coming weeks. I'll be sure to post them on here

In the meantime come and join us on our facebook page and keep up to date with what we're working on - Hiwatt UK

All the best,

Dave
Old 22nd February 2018
  #8
Hi Dave!

Nice to see you here! Will you also be continuing the traditional designs?
Old 23rd February 2018
  #9
Here for the gear
 

I am a Hiwatt user
Wish you success for the relaunch, any new products beside amps?
Old 23rd February 2018
  #10
Here for the gear
 
HiwattUKofficial's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Hi Dave!

Nice to see you here! Will you also be continuing the traditional designs?
Hi John,

Absolutely. The DR504, DR103 etc are all the backbone of Hiwatt.

I'll post a pic shortly of one of the DR103's we've built this week.

All the best,

Dave
Old 23rd February 2018
  #11
Here for the gear
 
HiwattUKofficial's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymars View Post
I am a Hiwatt user
Wish you success for the relaunch, any new products beside amps?
Hi Candymars,

Thanks very much.

What model Hiwatt do you play?

We're working on some 'bits and bobs'. More details will be available soon. If you don't already, give us a follow on our social media pages (in my sig). All news and updates are announced there first

Cheers,

Dave
Old 23rd February 2018
  #12
Here for the gear
 
HiwattUKofficial's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiwattUKofficial View Post
Hi John,

Absolutely. The DR504, DR103 etc are all the backbone of Hiwatt.

I'll post a pic shortly of one of the DR103's we've built this week.

All the best,

Dave
Hopefully this picture has uploaded properly!

Here's a DR103 that is ready for testing
Attached Thumbnails
Hiwatt-20180222_154006.jpg  
Old 26th February 2018
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiwattUKofficial View Post
Hi Candymars,

Thanks very much.

What model Hiwatt do you play?

We're working on some 'bits and bobs'. More details will be available soon. If you don't already, give us a follow on our social media pages (in my sig). All news and updates are announced there first

Cheers,

Dave
T20HD
HIGAIN 50 (dead...)
Old 26th February 2018
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymars View Post
T20HD
HIGAIN 50 (dead...)
see the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Hiwatt-hiwatt.jpg  
Old 26th February 2018
  #15

I'm excited about this! I'd love a low wattage hiwatt.
Old 4th March 2018
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post

I'm excited about this! I'd love a low wattage hiwatt.
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Yes, it is!
Old 9th March 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post

I'm excited about this! I'd love a low wattage hiwatt.
But could you still call it a hiwatt?
Old 8th April 2018
  #18
Gear Head
 
euler1970's Avatar
 

Somewhat related to the topic at hand...anyone happen to know why Pete Townshend preferred Hiwatts as opposed to Marshalls? I've always been curious myself.
Old 8th April 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiwattUKofficial View Post
Hopefully this picture has uploaded properly!

Here's a DR103 that is ready for testing
Oh Yeah it uploaded properly and it's a beauty. Roomy, properly laid out and wired. Long-lasting sizable parts with gobs of headroom and MTBF, like ceramic tube sockets mounted to the chassis. Heater wiring properly twisted and hugging the steel chassis (and I see the right-angle boys are busy Easy to work on. Best of all it appears that unlike most "ReIssues" you guys resisted the all too common urge to "fix it" with the only visible exception a proper one, an upgrade on the quality of the Power and Standby switches which have zero effect on tone but only improve safety and longevity. Kudos Bro. Looks like the company actually has knowledge and respect.
Old 8th April 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by euler1970 View Post
Somewhat related to the topic at hand...anyone happen to know why Pete Townshend preferred Hiwatts as opposed to Marshalls? I've always been curious myself.
Nothing definite, but the story I have read was that the popular groups in England in the late 60s liked to get free gear in informal endorsement type situations from local companies. Jim Marshall thought The Who was taking too much free gear--maybe because they destroyed it as part of their show--so he confronted Pete Townsend, pissed him off, and going Hiwatt was Pete's revenge. No question Pete was not a warm and fuzzy personality back then. Jim Marshall started out with a drum shop--so The Who could have been getting all sorts of gear, not just amps.

The story I read a little more definite was that it was the who that got Jim Marshall to build the 100 watt amps and wide 4x12 speakers in the first place, so kind of a falling out. In an interview I watched, Pete said he didn't like people walking up and requesting songs or chatting while they were playing and a 100 watt amp was so loud folks could not do so.

The hitwatts were definitely better build quality from what I have seen, but had a cleaner sound and did not distort until the very peak volume. A different sound which to my ears is characterized by the guitar sound at the end of Don't get fooled again.

Jimmy Page used Hiwatt for a while but moved over to marshall for touring. I believe in the 1975 tour using 4 100 watt heads and 4 4x12 cabs on stage. I have seen him wiht a variety of stuff on stage more recently even including orange amps.

I think the original motivation for the 4x12, beyond its large size on stage, was that in the late 1960s there were not speakers that could handle 50-70 watts, so if you had a 100 watt marshall, which generated peaks of around 150 watts, you needed four or eight speakers to handle the load.

I have seen early photos of Hendrix using Sunn amps--bet they wish they could have kept him using their gear. I thought the Sunns looked very cool and had a recessed panel so they could be packed without the knobs getting shaved off.
Old 8th April 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Nothing definite, but the story I have read was that the popular groups in England in the late 60s liked to get free gear in informal endorsement type situations from local companies. Jim Marshall thought The Who was taking too much free gear--maybe because they destroyed it as part of their show--so he confronted Pete Townsend, pissed him off, and going Hiwatt was Pete's revenge. No question Pete was not a warm and fuzzy personality back then. Jim Marshall started out with a drum shop--so The Who could have been getting all sorts of gear, not just amps.

The story I read a little more definite was that it was the who that got Jim Marshall to build the 100 watt amps and wide 4x12 speakers in the first place, so kind of a falling out. In an interview I watched, Pete said he didn't like people walking up and requesting songs or chatting while they were playing and a 100 watt amp was so loud folks could not do so.

The hitwatts were definitely better build quality from what I have seen, but had a cleaner sound and did not distort until the very peak volume. A different sound which to my ears is characterized by the guitar sound at the end of Don't get fooled again.

Jimmy Page used Hiwatt for a while but moved over to marshall for touring. I believe in the 1975 tour using 4 100 watt heads and 4 4x12 cabs on stage. I have seen him wiht a variety of stuff on stage more recently even including orange amps.

I think the original motivation for the 4x12, beyond its large size on stage, was that in the late 1960s there were not speakers that could handle 50-70 watts, so if you had a 100 watt marshall, which generated peaks of around 150 watts, you needed four or eight speakers to handle the load.

I have seen early photos of Hendrix using Sunn amps--bet they wish they could have kept him using their gear. I thought the Sunns looked very cool and had a recessed panel so they could be packed without the knobs getting shaved off.
"Won't Get Fooled Again"....Gretsch and Tweed Bandmaster....Pete like Fenders in the studio throughout his career, sometimes with a Marshall cab.
Old 8th April 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
"Won't Get Fooled Again"....Gretsch and Tweed Bandmaster....Pete like Fenders in the studio throughout his career, sometimes with a Marshall cab.
That's interesting to know--thanks for the info. Still, the sound reminds me of the growl when my hiwatt gets loud enough to distort--its different from a marshall growl, but impossible to describe with words. Of course with a studio signal chain, not many times the record sounds like the amp raw when one is playing into it.

Layla was done on fender chaps IIRC, sounded pretty big when miced properly.
Old 8th April 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
That's interesting to know--thanks for the info. Still, the sound reminds me of the growl when my hiwatt gets loud enough to distort--its different from a marshall growl, but impossible to describe with words. Of course with a studio signal chain, not many times the record sounds like the amp raw when one is playing into it.

Layla was done on fender chaps IIRC, sounded pretty big when miced properly.
Yeah it does....I had a small Hiwatt about five years ago when they were making them again...in England...had a good sound but QC was bad, 4*12 cab came wired wrong, they apologized saying they had "some new people" working there...and sent me a correct diagram for wiring lol
Old 8th April 2018
  #24
Gear Addict
 

I'd LOVE to to release a truly state of the art solid state amp with plenty of flexibility and features (Channel 1 and 2, effects loop with send and return volume, high quality reverb, separate tone controls for each channel, eq on/off, headphone jack, boost, etc) and avobe all, that TONE that can really put all the legendary solid state ones (Roland Jazz Chorus, Peavey Bandit 112, Fender Deluxe Plus 112, the current Yamaha THR100 ones, etc) onto rest.

I know you've put truly legendary tube amps over the decades, but in the solid state department, we really need an amp to make justice to your brand

There're PLENTY of boutique, high quality and high end tube amps today, but very little in the solid state camp

And PLEASE. Footswitch included!

Thanks!
Old 8th April 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Yeah it does....I had a small Hiwatt about five years ago when they were making them again...in England...had a good sound but QC was bad, 4*12 cab came wired wrong, they apologized saying they had "some new people" working there...and sent me a correct diagram for wiring lol
I had the same thing happen with a 4x10 I got from Gerald Weber--a Kendrick. Took me a while to figure out what the deal was because I presumed they were wired correctly at the factory.
Old 8th April 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
...There're PLENTY of boutique, high quality and high end tube amps today, but very little in the solid state camp

Thanks!
I would be interested in such a thing. Plenty of solid state, but nothing that distinguishes itself and holds value like a tube amp. No such thing as a boutique solid state amp to my knowledge.

For me personally, I am only interested in solid state for bass amps, but for guitar getting that tone--probably tons of solid state amps that do a good job, but nothing rises to the top. I had a solid state carvin that I thought had greate distortion tone, but sold it for under $200.
Old 9th April 2018
  #27
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I would be interested in such a thing. Plenty of solid state, but nothing that distinguishes itself and holds value like a tube amp. No such thing as a boutique solid state amp to my knowledge.

For me personally, I am only interested in solid state for bass amps, but for guitar getting that tone--probably tons of solid state amps that do a good job, but nothing rises to the top. I had a solid state carvin that I thought had greate distortion tone, but sold it for under $200.

Sure there're PLENTY of ... DREADFUL solid state amps. Only a handful of truly good ones.

I'd love to have a first-class quality SS at last!

As for tube amps!: surely there're so many. Victory, Rivera, Friedman, Two Rock, Tone King, 633, Hamstead, Bad Cat, Supro, Matchless, DR Z, Magnatone, etc, etc

How many TRULY GREAT SOLID STATE amps are out there?
Quilter, Yamaha, Peavey ... and that's pretty much about it.

It's about time some major brand put some effort in a great SS amp, and not being throwaway affairs anymore

Old 9th April 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
Just found this thread, I am happy to read of the return of one of my favorite all time amps.
Old 9th April 2018
  #29
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Not to rain on anyone's parade but it might be worth noting that truly great inventions rarely ever change much. Loudspeakers are still basically built just like they were 100 years ago. Guitars may have had microphones built into them but haven't changed on a fundamental level for around 600 years. Bows have undergone a few refinements but they are still basically a flexible stick with the ends pulled into tension by a string essentially like those made 64,000 years ago. The wheel goes back a little further and before that Urk invented the tube amp, apparently to create dinosaur mating calls to lure them in for the kill, and nobody has come up with anything demonstrably better since..
Old 9th April 2018
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Mikhael's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
Sure there're PLENTY of ... DREADFUL solid state amps. Only a handful of truly good ones.

I'd love to have a first-class quality SS at last!

As for tube amps!: surely there're so many. Victory, Rivera, Friedman, Two Rock, Tone King, 633, Hamstead, Bad Cat, Supro, Matchless, DR Z, Magnatone, etc, etc

How many TRULY GREAT SOLID STATE amps are out there?
Quilter, Yamaha, Peavey ... and that's pretty much about it.

It's about time some major brand put some effort in a great SS amp, and not being throwaway affairs anymore

You forgot one - Pearce. I think that's one of the best amps I've come across, SS or tube. But no, they're not being made anymore, unfortunately. I do still use them, though; I've got a couple, and love the sounds I can get. They do the "edge of distortion" thing very well, which is where I play a lot of the time.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump