The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hiwatt
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
I would guess so. If the power amp is solid state, it would need more clean power than a tube amp, since you don't want to drive the Kemper's power amp into distortion.
That would be my thought. Plug into a Deluxe and a Twin (the real ones, not the junky reissues) and set the volumes the same. The Twin will have way more power behind it - for better or worse.

I had a Kemper and didn't dig it (and it's off the topic of this thread).

Anyway, send Dave Davies some HiWatts!!!

Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure it can. It responds and plays on the edge of distortion like a tube amp, but the tone is different from most (I can't say "all", simply because I haven't PLAYED all). The real trick to the Pearce is the semi-parametric midrange that comes before the distortion, while the bass and treble come after. This allows you to really shape the character of the distortion as well as the overall tone.

I heard Allan Holdsworth playing through one, and was enthralled by his tone. So I looked all over until I found one, and although I don't sound a @#$% bit like Holdsworth, I sounded like the best ME I'd heard (not to mention Holdsworth sounded like himself no matter which rig he was using). I've tried others afterwards (I'm always curious), but nothing has matched the singing tones and versatility of this amp yet.

I'm a little concerned about the age and lack of availability of this amp, in that it wouldn't be easy to replace. That's why I have a couple of them...

Picking nits I suppose but the "better" part comes from the EQ arrangement and is independent of whether or not it is tube or SS considering that no tube amp I know of has that exact EQ arrangement to compare to.

I'm glad you're happy and hope you get many years of use from them and probably should. As I recall they were quite well built.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just to clarify one thing:

Does this mean that Music Ground and the Harrison's are no longer affiliated to the Hiwatt brand in any way?
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiwattUKofficial View Post
Hi logodave,

Thanks for the response.

We are currently operating through our sister company, Maxwatt in North America due to the Hiwatt TM in the region being owned by a separate party.
Maxwatt Custom Amps are built by the same hands in the same facility in England as all of our Hiwatt amps.

You can find Maxwatt here - Maxwatt

If you have anymore questions just let me know.

Best,

Dave
So If Maxwatt are built in the UK why are some add for Maxwatt over on the the "Reverb" site stating "Made in China " ? is this a knockoff using the same name and LOGO ?

MAXWATT Bulldog 30 Bass Combo | MAXWATT US Factory Showroom | Reverb
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Top Gear Music London staff ( first and main Hiwatt dealers) and a very rare pic of Mr Hiwatt Dave Reeves. ( Right of pic)

Nigel Bull - from the archive | Facebook
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So If Maxwatt are built in the UK why are some add for Maxwatt over on the the "Reverb" site stating "Made in China " ? is this a knockoff using the same name and LOGO ?

MAXWATT Bulldog 30 Bass Combo | MAXWATT US Factory Showroom | Reverb
If you had bothered going to their website, you'd see they have two lines and are clear about it.
  • UK Custom Shop, designed and built in the UK with commensurate pricing
  • UK Designed, Designed in UK and built in China, for more affordable amps to hit a price point.

As someone who works with overseas manufacturing, "made in China" isn't a dirty word. Having the right suppliers, starting with good designs and components, and having on-site quality control works fine.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
If you had bothered going to their website, you'd see they have two lines and are clear about it.
  • UK Custom Shop, designed and built in the UK with commensurate pricing
  • UK Designed, Designed in UK and built in China, for more affordable amps to hit a price point.

As someone who works with overseas manufacturing, "made in China" isn't a dirty word. Having the right suppliers, starting with good designs and components, and having on-site quality control works fine.
Personally I don't give a **** if something is made in China that's not the point . BUT in point of fact the only thing "clear" on the website is that they have a "designed in the UK line"
If in fact you mean this web sight, Maxwatt Genuine Amplifiers UK that I in fact, already looked at before posting ........ where the only thing it "clearly" states is "designed in UK" and that is it. Perhaps you can show us where on that page or anywhere on the web site it actually says "made in China "
In fact unfortunately there is not all that much that is actually "clear" on that web sight . Perhaps you might bother to not make assumptions about other people's actions that you know nothing about, and simply state the info while trying to be a little less of a dick about it.

Last edited by KevWind; 9th August 2018 at 01:00 AM..
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Head

Hi Dave,

Is the Custom Shop SA20 a DR504 with less power?
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Maybe you need to get around some of the better SS amps that have 'succeeded' as you put it. Here are two you can put on your list to broaden your horizons:

(1) Pearce G2R
(2) Marshall 1980's MOSFET 100

The Marshall Mosfet sounds so close to a JCM 800 that in a blind test few people can tell them apart. Of course, since they are close 35 years old, they need to be properly recapped to sound that way again, or they will sound like crap. It can be played live on stage for hours without any blowup issues.

The G2R sounds just like a tube amp because it has a specialized circuit that was designed to have the same low speaker damping that tube amps naturally have. If you ever play one, the trick is to always play it in the lower power stereo mode rather than the higher powered dual mono mode which sounds like dung. In a blind test you could not tell that I'm not playing a tube amp when I play my G2R. Only when I play it dual mono does it sound SS.
Those 1980s Marshall Mosfet amps were TERRIBLE. Marshall has never been able to build a SS amp that I've considered to be acceptable.

Randall has done a couple. If clean is what you're after, Standel did a great job in the '60s but went out of business when clean guitar amps fell out of favor. Sunn did a pretty decent SS amp. Acoustic was quite popular for some time, despite being plagued with reliability problems mainly caused by the use of computer style edge connectors on their PC boards. The company changed hands and eventually ended up as a Guitar Center house brand, manufactured in China.
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
Deceived?

So the only one option is sticking with 60+ years old technology, overpricing to death the same gear and not even trying to think and find new, really good and way more affordable things for all kind of musicians?
First, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Second, that "60+ years old technology is what is known as a MATURE Technology - it has been developed to a point of utter reliability and if something does go wrong most of the time it's field serviceable, which solid state amps are not.

Quote:
If we can get as close as we can with something that can sound pretty much like a 100 watt tube amp, with about 10% of the weight and about 20% of the price, then all those innovations are a bless. Truly
No. They're not.

They're at best a compromise, and a poor one at that.

There are thousands of 60 year old tube amps that are still working like they did when new, are still sought after, and have appreciated in value to an astonishing degree.

Meanwhile, there are thousands of solid state amps that are only 10-20 years old that are clogging landfills because they're worthless. Many of them are worthless because of the unavailability of replacement parts, unlike tube amps which use easily obtainable generic components.

The modern solid state electronics industry is built on the strategy of planned obsolescence. That's a bad technology to invest your money in unless you're a manufacturer - and a lot of manufacturers don't last that long these days.

If the manufacturer of your SS amp goes out of business, good luck getting it serviced. If it's a tube amp, no problem.
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Back in the 70s, I bought the first solid state from marshall, the 2098. That thing had a stonking good distortion and plenty of spank to make one's ears ring. Perhaps unique among transistor amps, it had an output transformer and weighed a ton.

Personally I don't doubt that there have been some amps with good sounding distortion--my observation was more that I am puzzled that no premium brand or model of SS amp has become widely known.
They were also notably unreliable and contained transistor pairs that had to be hand matched and thermally coupled together to keep the amp from blowing up like a big firecracker.

They also didn't really sound very good and were quite unpopular.
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I haven't found a tube amp to match my Pearce yet. When you punch it, it simply sounds and feels right. It makes me sound better than I do on anything else, otherwise it wouldn't be there.
You can continue to insist that saccharine is just as good as sugar but it tastes funny, leaves an aftertaste, and has zero nutritional value.
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
I think Kemper went over the top and missed the point

It's way too expensive, and we'd need the profiling head, which is 600 watts (!)

Who on earth would need a 600 watts guitar amp?. Unless you've gotta play to thousands of people, which is not the case for 90% of musicians.

So, what seemed to be a good idea, ended up being MORE EXPENSIVE than many high profile tube amps
It's a CLASS D POWER AMP. What that means is that unless the were to add a beefed up power supply with large storage caps andf a large power transformer - which would AT LEAST triple the weight and the manufacturing cost that so-called "600 watt" amp has a usable continuous output power of maybe 150-200 watts. That "600 watt output" has a duration of maybe 2 cycles of like voltage because the switching supplies provided with OEM Class D power modules have no onboard storage capacity and cannot maintain rail voltage during a sustained output. That's why many of the somewhat less dodgy of the makers of "Class D" instrument amps rate them in "burst" power, aka "instantaneous power".

Lab Gruppen, one of the very few companies manufacturing true professional quality Class D amplifiers for the touring market published a paper explaining this a few years ago, when the "cheap/light/high power rated" Class Ds were becoming common, erxplaining why their amps were superior to the vast majority of Class D amps flooding the market and also explaining why their amps could not be cheap and light and still be built to their standard of quality. That was before Lab Gruppen was taken over by Behringer.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
They were also notably unreliable and contained transistor pairs that had to be hand matched and thermally coupled together to keep the amp from blowing up like a big firecracker.

They also didn't really sound very good and were quite unpopular.
I had one for a time and I thought it put out a stonking good sound. The one I possessed had been serviced and one of the output transistors was replaced. The unit did not appear to have been blown up like a firecracker when this device failed. The output transistors were a complementary NPN-PNP combination. I do not recall any special thermal coupling aside from the fact, that like all transistor power amps, they were mounted on a heat sink. In this case, the heat sink formed the entire back of the chassis.

I also believe it was mid to late 1970s in production. I purchased mine used in 1976.

Hope I am not repeating myself, but unlike any other SS amp I have seen, it had an output transformer coupling the transistors to the speaker jacks, allowing it to drive higher impedence loads. I believe this gave it a nicer distortion sound. I also thing it was cute given the case design.

On the negative side, it threw a large magnetic field that single coil pickups loved to receive, giving lots of 60 cycle hum at large volumes. Also, the tiny gain slider switches were fiddly and did not always retain their settings. And I learned only in the last few years that it had a higher gain setting only available through the use of a plug in pedal. So, almost an early multiple channel implementation.

Since it had both a power and output transformer, it was every bit as heavy as its tube counterparts. I do have the impression it did not sell very well, as I don't ever recall seeing one in a music store, nor did I know anyone else who had one, nor see one on the stage of any band performance.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Head

It seems that a lot of resellers are stopping distributing Hiwatt, I hope it's not a bad sign for the company
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You can continue to insist that saccharine is just as good as sugar but it tastes funny, leaves an aftertaste, and has zero nutritional value.
Not comparable, and totally wrong. Sorry John. You can insist all day how superior tubes are, while 90% of the players stick a solid-state device in front of their amp to get distortion. I just take the middleman out. I take it you don't think much of Holdsworth, Torn, Montrose, or others who used and endorsed it? Or ones like Ty Tabor and BB King, who used its predecessor?

Never mind. It sounds great without the glass bottles.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Never mind. It sounds great without the glass bottles.
It can be irritating when personal opinions are expressed as universal truths, with a side order of shame for those who disagree. I think one good response to that sort of thing is 'Thank you for sharing your feelings...'
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear
I haven’t turned on my Hiwatts since I made my Kemper profiles of my favourite one.

For either guitar or bass guitar.

That’s all I’m saying...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search