The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hiwatt
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

I was wondering why you don't get Dave Davies back on board with some gear now that he's always touring. He's the reason I bought HiWatts to begin with and I can't think of anyone who I associate with the brand more.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiwattUKofficial View Post
Hi All,

My name is Dave, I work for the new owners of Hiwatt.

I'm posting to introduce myself, answer questions and generally talk all things Hiwatt!

The trademark was bought by a Canadian team of Hiwatt enthusiasts 2 years ago, since then they have assembled a team of highly skilled, dedicated people to bring the brand back to it's former glory.
We've used the last 2 years designing and really focussing on building the highest quality amps.

The official relaunch of Hiwatt is this spring at Musikmesse in Frankfurt.

We have some exciting new products coming which I'll post about in the 'New Product Alert' forum when the press releases are ready!

Hope you're all well and look forward to talking Hiwatt.
Hi Dave!

Here's something:

Do you know that the high-profile amps guys Milkman are about to release their "The Amp"?.
I really think we're onto something in the guitar scene.

Since the Bluguitar Amp1, it's been quite a change in the game (at last!).

Musicians are always fond of the latest technology at a good price.
Big old amps are seeing as the equivalent to those obsolete big destokp computers, now that we can have laptops and iPads. Everyone looks forward to lighweight, yet great sounding and flexible gear.

If you can put out an amp like that, with a TONE that's true to your most beloved vintage Hiwatt amps, at a great price, you'll be the first major brand to achieve that innovation and you'll have a homerun

Cheers

Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

If I can disagree we've seen a trend going towards lunchbox maps and smaller boxes like the Princeton.

Eventually people are going to swing back because the headroom and toan available from the mighty maps of the past.

HiWatt was known for their incredible build quality and loud and unique sounds. The original maps were amazing inside. This is what people like me are willing to pay a premium for - very high quality lower production boxes that are true to the originals.

There are enough brands that have been destroyed in the name of affordability (pretty much every brand owned by FMIC). It's great when a company sticks to what they do best.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
Hi Dave!

Here's something:

Do you know that the high-profile amps guys Milkman are about to release their "The Amp"?.
I really think we're onto something in the guitar scene.

Since the Bluguitar Amp1, it's been quite a change in the game (at last!).

Musicians are always fond of the latest technology at a good price.
Big old amps are seeing as the equivalent to those obsolete big destokp computers, now that we can have laptops and iPads. Everyone looks forward to lighweight, yet great sounding and flexible gear.

If you can put out an amp like that, with a TONE that's true to your most beloved vintage Hiwatt amps, at a great price, you'll be the first major brand to achieve that innovation and you'll have a homerun

Cheers

Nothing personal but you're deceived. Have you ever played through a real 100 watt all tube amp live, onstage? Techs who are not musicians have imagined for over a half century that they could get everything a high power tube amp delivers with solid state and not one of them has succeeded.

From personal experience I witnessed Paul Smith, a decent player in his own right, pour a small fortune into a tech buddy who was so deceived he deceived Paul, for about 2 years, until his admittedly decent SS amps went belly up and he finally realized it's like trying to make chocolate ice cream be vanilla, or soy products actually fool people that they are real meat.sizzling on a grille.

Convenience is not free. It comes at a cost whether we are talking about guitar amps or PCs. Laptops are nice enough but they will never offer the power and configurability of a Desktop. Sorry. That's just a physical limitation that no amount of desire can overcome. It requires "settling for less".
Old 10th April 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Have you ever played through a real 100 watt all tube amp live, onstage? Techs who are not musicians have imagined for over a half century that they could get everything a high power tube amp delivers with solid state and not one of them has succeeded.
Maybe you need to get around some of the better SS amps that have 'succeeded' as you put it. Here are two you can put on your list to broaden your horizons:

(1) Pearce G2R
(2) Marshall 1980's MOSFET 100

The Marshall Mosfet sounds so close to a JCM 800 that in a blind test few people can tell them apart. Of course, since they are close 35 years old, they need to be properly recapped to sound that way again, or they will sound like crap. It can be played live on stage for hours without any blowup issues.

The G2R sounds just like a tube amp because it has a specialized circuit that was designed to have the same low speaker damping that tube amps naturally have. If you ever play one, the trick is to always play it in the lower power stereo mode rather than the higher powered dual mono mode which sounds like dung. In a blind test you could not tell that I'm not playing a tube amp when I play my G2R. Only when I play it dual mono does it sound SS.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nothing personal but you're deceived. Have you ever played through a real 100 watt all tube amp live, onstage? Techs who are not musicians have imagined for over a half century that they could get everything a high power tube amp delivers with solid state and not one of them has succeeded.

From personal experience I witnessed Paul Smith, a decent player in his own right, pour a small fortune into a tech buddy who was so deceived he deceived Paul, for about 2 years, until his admittedly decent SS amps went belly up and he finally realized it's like trying to make chocolate ice cream be vanilla, or soy products actually fool people that they are real meat.sizzling on a grille.

Convenience is not free. It comes at a cost whether we are talking about guitar amps or PCs. Laptops are nice enough but they will never offer the power and configurability of a Desktop. Sorry. That's just a physical limitation that no amount of desire can overcome. It requires "settling for less".
Deceived?

So the only one option is sticking with 60+ years old technology, overpricing to death the same gear and not even trying to think and find new, really good and way more affordable things for all kind of musicians?

If we can get as close as we can with something that can sound pretty much like a 100 watt tube amp, with about 10% of the weight and about 20% of the price, then all those innovations are a bless. Truly
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Please don't make a solid state HiWatt. Make them like you used to.

Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
...as the equivalent to those obsolete big destokp computers, now that we can have laptops and iPads...

I still prefer a nice big screen on my desk, thanks!
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
...The Marshall Mosfet sounds so close to a JCM 800 that in a blind test few people can tell them apart. ...
Back in the 70s, I bought the first solid state from marshall, the 2098. That thing had a stonking good distortion and plenty of spank to make one's ears ring. Perhaps unique among transistor amps, it had an output transformer and weighed a ton.

Personally I don't doubt that there have been some amps with good sounding distortion--my observation was more that I am puzzled that no premium brand or model of SS amp has become widely known.

And I suppose no hiwatt brand owner can be credible without making some replicas of their 100 watt and 50 watt tube amps, but I don't think anyone can get rich doing that as the age of guys like myself purchasing such amps so we could feel like jimmy page and go deaf in our basements are over. Lots of folks understand, as I eventually did, that you can't play a 100 watt marshall in most bars unless its turned down. I played in a church group with a 12 watt amp and never turned it up.

So, the market has evolved--but as I type, on my left is a 50 watt hiwatt with harry joyce's name signed on the chassis in very faded marker. But really, its more of a museum piece for me--last of my giant amps.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Deceived?

So the only one option is sticking with 60+ years old technology, overpricing to death the same gear and not even trying to think and find new, really good and way more affordable things for all kind of musicians?

If we can get as close as we can with something that can sound pretty much like a 100 watt tube amp, with about 10% of the weight and about 20% of the price, then all those innovations are a bless. Truly
There are many other options ...try a Kemper.

Some of us still think if it ain't broke....you know....

TH
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Heard the same thing--can still hear it today--about tape versus pro tools. The march of technology is inexorable.
Using that outlook, pop music has never been better lol
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Using that outlook, pop music has never been better lol
Sure, because the beatles could have only written music with REDD consoles in the studio.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Sure, because the beatles could have only written music with REDD consoles in the studio.
Sorry you missed my point but no matter....your original gripe is that "old" technology should be dropped in favor of newer, cheaper stuff so that you can afford it....or rather...normal people can afford it. I said it's already out there, get a Kemper or something else. Plenty of great low wattage amps with great sounds.

A classic amp maker wants to keep making classics ...I think it's great.

They still make Les Pauls and Strats as far as I know, and lowly Telecasters, despite them being old tech...right? I think violins are pretty old tech too...

TH
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry you missed my point but no matter....your original gripe is that "old" technology should be dropped in favor of newer, cheaper stuff so that you can afford it....or rather...normal people can afford it. I said it's already out there, get a Kemper or something else. Plenty of great low wattage amps with great sounds....

TH
Speaking of missing points, you appear to have confused my remarks for someone else's. I encourage you to read people's names more closely.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe you need to get around some of the better SS amps that have 'succeeded' as you put it. Here are two you can put on your list to broaden your horizons:

(1) Pearce G2R
(2) Marshall 1980's MOSFET 100

The Marshall Mosfet sounds so close to a JCM 800 that in a blind test few people can tell them apart. Of course, since they are close 35 years old, they need to be properly recapped to sound that way again, or they will sound like crap. It can be played live on stage for hours without any blowup issues.

The G2R sounds just like a tube amp because it has a specialized circuit that was designed to have the same low speaker damping that tube amps naturally have. If you ever play one, the trick is to always play it in the lower power stereo mode rather than the higher powered dual mono mode which sounds like dung. In a blind test you could not tell that I'm not playing a tube amp when I play my G2R. Only when I play it dual mono does it sound SS.
I've played both of those amps but admittedly only the Marshall Mosfet outside of a store demo floor. In the store the Pearce was quite impressive. It sounded very good but it never felt like a tube amp. I don't hate SS amps in general, I just have to have the dynamic response of tubes and I don't see how that can ever happen given what I know of the physics of the operation of both. Obviously they can get kinda close, but that's just not close enough for me,and I am by no means alone in that recognition and preference.

I don't know how to account for the much wider discrepancy between you and I on the Marshall, probably because I don't know your frame of reference, but I absolutely hated the Mosfet, both sound and feel and I never thought it even came close to a JCM 800 even though that is not my favorite Marshall anyway. It certainly had little in common with a JMP and even less with an original Super Lead.

I've heard various players play SS amps whose sound I liked well enough but my "hands" know the difference when I play them. To me it is as different as looking at a photo of say the Grand Canyon and standing on the rim, feeling the wind and sun on my skin and smelling the air.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Deceived?

Hardly! I think there is room for any manner of gear and that if someone finds a use for it, more power to them. I just see no valid reason for HiWatt to attempt to go SS when they already have a winner that offers something special many OTHER players desire.

In general my point was simply to not deceive yourself. They are NOT the same and very likely CAN'T be. They are different and that difference may please you for it's own capabilities and characteristics or you may decide it is close enough, but the same? Sorry. No. They are not.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hardly! I think there is room for any manner of gear and that if someone finds a use for it, more power to them. I just see no valid reason for HiWatt to attempt to go SS when they already have a winner that offers something special many OTHER players desire.

In general my point was simply to not deceive yourself. They are NOT the same and very likely CAN'T be. They are different and that difference may please you for it's own capabilities and characteristics or you may decide it is close enough, but the same? Sorry. No. They are not.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I haven't found a tube amp to match my Pearce yet. When you punch it, it simply sounds and feels right. It makes me sound better than I do on anything else, otherwise it wouldn't be there.
Old 11th April 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. I haven't found a tube amp to match my Pearce yet. When you punch it, it simply sounds and feels right. It makes me sound better than I do on anything else, otherwise it wouldn't be there.
Exactly. It feels and plays like a tube amp!
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
There are many other options ...try a Kemper.

Some of us still think if it ain't broke....you know....

TH
I think Kemper went over the top and missed the point

It's way too expensive, and we'd need the profiling head, which is 600 watts (!)

Who on earth would need a 600 watts guitar amp?. Unless you've gotta play to thousands of people, which is not the case for 90% of musicians.

So, what seemed to be a good idea, ended up being MORE EXPENSIVE than many high profile tube amps
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

@ ponkine
What is your role in this thread seriously? Did you read what the op wrote? This thread is about hiwatt amps not about kempers. Why do you have to be hijacking what it could be a nice thread with such nonsense? This forum really went down the drain
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Threads will go where they will go--as people's interests evolve. To my thinking a thread limited to speculation/reaction to an announcement of a vendor that they will be making products of a certain nature--without additional detail--not much to talk about.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear
I would like to mention that I found even the Hiwatt speaker cabs to have their own sound as compared to Marshall , et al. To my ears even super leads, 900s 800s and Rectifiers all sounded better played through Hiwatt half stacks than through their matching components. This is what I hope they can recreate.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiwattUKofficial View Post
We are currently operating through our sister company, Maxwatt in North America due to the Hiwatt TM in the region being owned by a separate party.
Maxwatt Custom Amps are built by the same hands in the same facility in England as all of our Hiwatt amps.
Dave, can you speak more about the current US owners of the Hiwatt trademark? I.e., do they have any connection to the original brand?
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
I would like to mention that I found even the Hiwatt speaker cabs to have their own sound as compared to Marshall , et al. To my ears even super leads, 900s 800s and Rectifiers all sounded better played through Hiwatt half stacks than through their matching components. This is what I hope they can recreate.
The hiwatt cabs from back in the day were build stronger than the marshall ones. They were all glued together into one solid unit and the speakers front mounted--I had one. Marshalls have a back that screws on and I think the wood was thinner as well--but may be recalling that part wrong.

Back in the day, hiwatts used fane brand speakers, not celestions the marshalls did.

So, yes, they will not sound the same as marshall cabs.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear
Some years back I had the pleasure of playing through an acquaintances slant that had the fanes replaced with greenbacks via a dual rec. It sounded way sweeter than the same amp played through a 70s era marshall to me. Unfortunately, like guitars, you never know what a cab will sound like til you try it.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post

Quote:
Exactly. It feels and plays like a tube amp!
Ok so which is it? Does it sound and feel better (value judgment of a difference) than a tube amp or identical? It can't be both.

Again I only ever played a Pearce at lower levels where the dynamic differences are less apparent and like I said, at least at those levels, I liked the amp so please don't assume I am a hater. I honestly don't see the "disagreement" since i stated that anyone is perfectly justified in choosing one over any other amp for it's own characteristics that make it unique and different.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
@ ponkine
What is your role in this thread seriously? Did you read what the op wrote? This thread is about hiwatt amps not about kempers. Why do you have to be hijacking what it could be a nice thread with such nonsense? This forum really went down the drain
Hi mate

I only mentioned ONCE Kemper here

So I don't see why you posted that.

I stand clear this thread is about HIWATT. That's why I posted here in first place.
Please read all my posts again.

Calm down
Peace
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok so which is it? Does it sound and feel better (value judgment of a difference) than a tube amp or identical? It can't be both.

Again I only ever played a Pearce at lower levels where the dynamic differences are less apparent and like I said, at least at those levels, I liked the amp so please don't assume I am a hater. I honestly don't see the "disagreement" since i stated that anyone is perfectly justified in choosing one over any other amp for it's own characteristics that make it unique and different.
Sure it can. It responds and plays on the edge of distortion like a tube amp, but the tone is different from most (I can't say "all", simply because I haven't PLAYED all). The real trick to the Pearce is the semi-parametric midrange that comes before the distortion, while the bass and treble come after. This allows you to really shape the character of the distortion as well as the overall tone.

I heard Allan Holdsworth playing through one, and was enthralled by his tone. So I looked all over until I found one, and although I don't sound a @#$% bit like Holdsworth, I sounded like the best ME I'd heard (not to mention Holdsworth sounded like himself no matter which rig he was using). I've tried others afterwards (I'm always curious), but nothing has matched the singing tones and versatility of this amp yet.

I'm a little concerned about the age and lack of availability of this amp, in that it wouldn't be easy to replace. That's why I have a couple of them...
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think Kemper went over the top and missed the point

It's way too expensive, and we'd need the profiling head, which is 600 watts (!)

Who on earth would need a 600 watts guitar amp?. Unless you've gotta play to thousands of people, which is not the case for 90% of musicians.

So, what seemed to be a good idea, ended up being MORE EXPENSIVE than many high profile tube amps
My guess is that it's not about volume but headroom. I'm not a Mesa Boogie fan, but I had a Dual Rectifier and a Triple Rectifier. Even if you set them at the same volume the feel of the map is much different.

Maybe with the profiling they wanted uber headroom as to not mess with the models.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
My guess is that it's not about volume but headroom. I'm not a Mesa Boogie fan, but I had a Dual Rectifier and a Triple Rectifier. Even if you set them at the same volume the feel of the map is much different.

Maybe with the profiling they wanted uber headroom as to not mess with the models.
I would guess so. If the power amp is solid state, it would need more clean power than a tube amp, since you don't want to drive the Kemper's power amp into distortion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search