The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gibson reportedly facing bankruptcy Electric Guitar
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

I've owned many Gibsons and Fenders over the last 40 years years, and here are my tuning observations.

First one has to differentiate between overall shifts in tuning when an instrument sits in the case or on the wall, and tuning shifts while it is being played.

I have observed over the years that if you put a tuned Start and a Les Paul into a rack, then pick them up a couple of days later , the Strat is usually closer to correct pitch than the Gibson, i.e. the Gibson seems more affected by temperature changes. A substantial temperature shift often leaves my Gibson's almost a semitone flat or sharp, while the Fenders haven't moved that much.

I think it is from this effect that the Fender gets its reputation for tuning stability.

Once I have tunes each by my method tune, thrash chords, re-tune and repeat) the Gibson and Fender are reasonably equivalent in staying tune during a rehearsal. Both can suffer from nut stickiness. I always try and cut Gibson nuts so they slope back at about the the same angle as the head stock, which helps IMO. Using a polishing cord in the nut and a little graphite also helps IME
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

I bought a used Cherry Sunburst Standard LP from GC a few years back. It sounds and plays fine but tuning it is difficult and it does not hold its tuning. I have ordered some lube and will see what that does. If not, perhaps I'll see about messing with the nut. While it is a bit of a nuisance, it is not that big a deal.

My 59 Strat however never needs to be tuned. I can not play it for months and pick it up and it is in perfect tuning. I know this because I suffered from tendinitis and could not play for about 8 months and when I next picked up the guitar it was ready to record with. I can even use the whammy bar and not need to retune it.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post

First one has to differentiate between overall shifts in tuning when an instrument sits in the case or on the wall, and tuning shifts while it is being played.

Once I have tunes each by my method tune, thrash chords, re-tune and repeat) the Gibson and Fender are reasonably equivalent in staying tune during a rehearsal. Both can suffer from nut stickiness. I always try and cut Gibson nuts so they slope back at about the the same angle as the head stock, which helps IMO. Using a polishing cord in the nut and a little graphite also helps IME
This is my impression as well. Certainly there are some guitars harder to maintain in tune than others but to say as some people do here that a design which is over a half century old with millions of instruments sold is flawed and the guitars can't keep their tuning is exaggeration. With this it can be a miss with every manufacturer. I have a strat that stays in tune beautifully and another that is just impossible. I can't go around saying that the strat design is bad and the guitars can't keep in tune. From all the Les Paul I had I never encountered one that could not keep in tune in the situation you mention, maybe I was lucky or maybe I've chosen mine well, donno.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting video, I learned a few new things. I have a country western from the late 60s, and it does sound great, but otherwise a fender guy. And its not due to the cost, its what I play and don't play when I have both around.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Sure, everyone should get a few million for running a company into bankruptcy and causing bond holders to lose lots of money... Not surprised kkr thinks otherwise. Sure, Mr J is losing his equity stake, but imagine how much money he has pulled out of gibson over the years in salary and bonuses...
Old 18th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
I dunno, the quip makes sense to me. The only reason robo tuners are even somewhat appealing to me is being able to use alternate tunings very quickly...not as a tool just to keep a Gibson in tune

Still way out of my price range considering my main axe is drums and I've also heard pretty serious neck dive is the tradeoff.
There is no neck dive. The Tronical system weighs about as much as a set of Grover Super Rotomatic tuners. No noticeable difference.
Old 18th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
This is my impression as well. Certainly there are some guitars harder to maintain in tune than others but to say as some people do here that a design which is over a half century old with millions of instruments sold is flawed and the guitars can't keep their tuning is exaggeration. With this it can be a miss with every manufacturer. I have a strat that stays in tune beautifully and another that is just impossible. I can't go around saying that the strat design is bad and the guitars can't keep in tune. From all the Les Paul I had I never encountered one that could not keep in tune in the situation you mention, maybe I was lucky or maybe I've chosen mine well, donno.
A Strat with a bar has far more tuning difficulties than any properly maintained and set up Gibson. Except the occasional SG with a rubber neck. And even those aren't that bad IF you understand them.
Old 19th May 2018
Here for the gear

I have a japanese 'lawsuit' les paul which is perfect apart from the constant G string tuning. I was told to get a good tech to change and adjust the nut.
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Mass View Post
I have a japanese 'lawsuit' les paul which is perfect apart from the constant G string tuning. I was told to get a good tech to change and adjust the nut.
It must be a really good copy, if they even copied the G-string tuning problem!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search