The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on G&L guitars? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Head

Thoughts on G&L guitars?

Greetings,

I had ordered a used Ibanez S770PB through Guitar Center as the result of being on the hunt for something more modern and different from my other electrics (Les Pauls and MIM Strat). While it is a beautiful guitar and it's modern and different from my other stuff, I'm finding it's not my thing.

I came across some threads suggesting G&L guitars. Starting perusing and they get pretty solid reviews. They seem like a next evolution of the Tele and Strat. Anyone have experience with them? What are your thoughts?
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Head

Fenders without the resale value. They are nice guitars.
Old 8th February 2018
I have a G&L Tribute Asat semi hollow body that I've had for years. I've owned it longer than any other electric that I've ever had, and I've owned American made Strats and Telecasters. It's a really versatile sounding guitar. I would never part with it..
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

G&L was founded by Leo Fender after he sold fender to cbs due to a mistaken believe he was near to death at the time--he got well and regretted selling fender. Thusly, I think early G&L probably exceeded fender quality by a large margin. Where it stands now, impossible to say as both companies are decades away from their previous management. IF they have lower resale than an american fender, might be a good guitar for the money.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
G&L was founded by Leo Fender after he sold fender to cbs due to a mistaken believe he was near to death at the time--he got well and regretted selling fender. Thusly, I think early G&L probably exceeded fender quality by a large margin. Where it stands now, impossible to say as both companies are decades away from their previous management. IF they have lower resale than an american fender, might be a good guitar for the money.
Actually, he started MusicMan after leaving Fender, didn't he? I'm not sure why he left that company to start G&L, unless that had to do with George (the G).
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Actually, he started MusicMan after leaving Fender, didn't he? I'm not sure why he left that company to start G&L, unless that had to do with George (the G).
Good point. That is correct--I remember now about music man. I looked g&l up in wikipedia and he formed g&l in late 70s after he had a dispute with music man. So, I would say that the music man guitars prior to when Leo left the company are superior to fenders of that era.

I think any of these guitars need to be judged on their merits by inspecting them. Not very helpful advice I guess.
Old 9th February 2018
Here for the gear

The G & L fallout looks nice.

I've been looking at them since someone did a review of them from NAMM

Old 9th February 2018
Here for the gear

It's all pretty subjective, but I'd take a G&L over an American made Fender any time. Plays great, versatile sound, great build quality, solid G&L support post purchase. I have Fenders and Gibson's as well, but if I could only pick one it would be the G&L Asat. Give one a try.

Last edited by Gregory203; 9th February 2018 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory203 View Post
It's all pretty subjective, but I'd take a G&L over an American made Fender any time. Plays great, versatile sound, great build quality, solid G&L support post purchase. I have Fenders and Gibson's as well, but if I could only pick one it would be the G&L Asat. Give one a try.
Have a used one on the way from Guitar Center. US Legacy model with full Seymour Duncan Rails pups. Looking forward to this!
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

I have an original USA ASAT built in 1990 or 91. When Leo was still alive, I believe. What a great guitar. Like a Tele ought to be. It helped me earn a living on the C&W circuit for many many years & now plays roots rock and swamp music for fun.
Mind you the ASAT classics are pretty much hot rodded Teles and get good reviews too.
Tributes are good but not anywhere near as good as the USA models I have played.
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Correct.
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Maniac

I have two G&L basses, and a Tribute Strat.

Go for it. You will not be disappointed.
Old 10th February 2018
Quote:
When he started Musicman he was under contract with CBS to no use his name on any musical products for a specified period of time. When the company was started he actually was not publicly a principal of the company, a couple years later he became "officially" involved in an "advisor" capacity. When the contract with CBS expired he started G&L (George & Leo) with George Fullerton, featuring the second generation of his post-Fender guitar designs.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Nut

I bought a G&L Tribute ASAT a few weeks ago on Ebay.

Absolutely love it.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
When he started Musicman he was under contract with CBS to no use his name on any musical products for a specified period of time. When the company was started he actually was not publicly a principal of the company, a couple years later he became "officially" involved in an "advisor" capacity. When the contract with CBS expired he started G&L (George & Leo) with George Fullerton, featuring the second generation of his post-Fender guitar designs.
So, you're saying he actually had nothing to do with the first batch of MusicMan guitars?
Old 12th February 2018
The story I always heard about G&L was the where the name ASAT came from, Another Stupid-Ass Tele

I remember circa 03ish my friend's dad was trying to offload a very nice Commanche to help fund a business venture and the offers he got were actually insulting to him since the G&L cost more than the fender new and was being offered way less for it used had it been a fender. We're taling a 30-40% difference in the used market.

AFAIK the Tributes aren't actually made by G&L, but somewhere in Korea, likely Cort or one of those builders. If you find a used one for like 200ish pull the trigger, sure, but I'd track down an MIA instead.

IIRC Leo had a lot of involvement with the music man amps, rather than the guitars.
Old 12th February 2018
Quote:
So, you're saying he actually had nothing to do with the first batch of MusicMan guitars?
He didn't officially. Reality is a different matter.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
The G&L Enthusiasts Website

If you're tenacious, all your G&L questions will be answered here. It's a labor of love so not as sophisticated as other sites but the operator and some contributers seem to have sufficient connections to be more informative than many others.

Wonderful guitars.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

I recall the late Bob Mayo using an ASAT and jamming with Frampton and his Les Paul. Both Bob and the ASAT sounded superb.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

I had a G&L ASAT, it was a great guitar. Ash, maple neck, transparent red, white double binding and really great sounding. Bought it used to use in a country cover band I was playing rhythm guitar in and didn't want to take my '63 Tele out and risk getting it stolen.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

The original USA made G&L's were decent. I just had to pick one up when they first came out due to the Leo thing. They were equivalent in quality to Fender's USA Standard line at the time, but I never thought mine was as good as the top end stuff of what Fender was putting out. Many of the early ones had three bolt neck joints -- not cool. These days they are back to 4 bolts. Because I have quite a few Strats here (guess what, I'm a Strat player, LOL) I finally gave it to my nephew who needed a good guitar and have not owned a G&L since.

A year ago I came across a G&L made in Indonesia that was of lower build quality and played less smoothly than my original USA G&L Strat. Some of their production was off shored to Korea for a while, a country known for making good guitars. so those would be my choice if you get one made in Asia. Advice: Try first before you buy if you are getting a production model from the off the beaten path like Indonesia. To be fair, I've played other Indonesian guitars that were fine, such as Epi.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear
There's nothing wrong with the 3 bolt neck. It got a bad rep due to the shoddy workmanship of CBS Fenders...then the hysteria set in. G&L switched to 4 bolt (mid 87 I believe) because of the rep, not because of any deficiency in their 3 bolt necks. Much better workmanship than Fenders of the time.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
Have a used one on the way from Guitar Center. US Legacy model with full Seymour Duncan Rails pups. Looking forward to this!
Well, I've had the guitar since Saturday. It is white, white pickguard, black pickup and knob covers and rosewood fretboard with gloss on the neck. I picked out this guitar based on the pickups it came with (Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, Cool Rails and Vintage Rails...and it looked pretty nice too).

I'm not a fan of the pickups. They seem dull somehow. Single coil sound without buzz. Was expecting more of a traditional humbucker sound. The previous owner had installed (screwed) wood pieces around the underside of the tremolo bridge, essentially making it a fixed bridge. The guitar is going back to Guitar Center.

Having said that, I LOVE the playability of the neck and the overall feel of the guitar. The neck is like stroking feminine parts it's so smooth and perfectly curvaceous. It's inspiring me to practice more and just...play. It has a reassuring heft to it that my MIM Strat does not. I'm on the hunt for another one.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
Well, I've had the guitar since Saturday. It is white, white pickguard, black pickup and knob covers and rosewood fretboard with gloss on the neck. I picked out this guitar based on the pickups it came with (Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, Cool Rails and Vintage Rails...and it looked pretty nice too).

I'm not a fan of the pickups. They seem dull somehow. Single coil sound without buzz. Was expecting more of a traditional humbucker sound. The previous owner had installed (screwed) wood pieces around the underside of the tremolo bridge, essentially making it a fixed bridge. The guitar is going back to Guitar Center.

Having said that, I LOVE the playability of the neck and the overall feel of the guitar. The neck is like stroking feminine parts it's so smooth and perfectly curvaceous. It's inspiring me to practice more and just...play. It has a reassuring heft to it that my MIM Strat does not. I'm on the hunt for another one.
Well, were it me, and I thought the guitar played that well, I would've just switched out pickups for ones I liked better, and took out the vibrato blocks. But that's me; I modify guitars a lot.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Well, were it me, and I thought the guitar played that well, I would've just switched out pickups for ones I liked better, and took out the vibrato blocks. But that's me; I modify guitars a lot.
I hear ya. I understand about, if the chasis is good, the rest can be fixed. For the money spent though, the pickups seem like a waist then. And those blocks somehow taint the experience for me.

I put in a bid on a Legacy Special with some doo dads on it in Black/Blue burst. If that falls through, I may wind up keeping this one. We'll see..
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
I have a blue burst '84 S-500. Beautiful. Wish they'd do a legacy with the S-500 switching. Maybe they have.
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

G&L

Great topic.

Picked up a g&l legacy a few months ago. Historically ive played humbucker guitars and for the first month I literally thought I was going crazy with all the high harmonics going on which other people seemed to not be sensitive to.

Once playing on the guitar for a few months I found how wonderful the harmonics are and the variablility in tone from pickup selection was really wonderful. I have to say that I’m very impressed with all aspects of this guitar. The interesting thing is that the increase in harmonics compared to my old guitars required less gain as the natural sounds coming from the guitar are simply wonderful to hear. It can sound bouncy picked to smooth strummed.

I put a huge recommendation for this type of guitar - though I must admit I have not played an enormous number of fender strats etc. all I know is it did the job for me.

Good luck
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
My favorite G&L is the original ASAT with the original jumbo MFD's. My friend's was my introduction to G&L's. The MFD PU's aren't for everyone, but they're unique and were Leo's last PU design (the Z MFD's in the Comanche I believe was his last.)
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
My favorite G&L is the original ASAT with the original jumbo MFD's. My friend's was my introduction to G&L's. The MFD PU's aren't for everyone, but they're unique and were Leo's last PU design (the Z MFD's in the Comanche I believe was his last.)
I have one of these (original ASAT) and an F-100. They’re both excellent guitars. Great build quality. Highly recommended.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Any thoughts on the Comanche?
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search