The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My new PRS and my GAS is out of control Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

My new PRS and my GAS is out of control

I keep changing guitars over and over, i used to keep them forever, i get picky and sell and trade, my most recent was a trade for a gibson es333, which was quite nice, but i'm tired of gibsons i believe, i got a beautiful prs ce24 from 1994... the problem is, i'm ALREADY wanting to change the pickups and i've had it for 1 day.... what is the matter with me... anyway looks like i'm taking this PRS which sounds great unamplified, and feels like butter, and turning it more vintage by putting some seth lovers or something in it, and putting ,11s on too.... somebody slap me already
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

BTW, pics or it didn't happen.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Can heartily recommend 57/08 pick ups.
Have a pair in my PRS P22 and they are just killer.
Old 1 week ago
RiF
Lives for gear

I‘ve swapped out the pickups on two of my guitars for EMGs without even trying the stock ones.
Maybe the psychology behind it is that we want something personal/individual in an otherwise very nice but still off-the-shelf instrument.
Or shift it more in to the direction you want it to be. In your case, the polished and ultra-clean feel and look of PRS‘s do not really scream „vintage“ and you want at least some new pickups and maybe and a worn-out leather strap.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

i am looking for something vintage, i loved seth lovers i play jazz/classic rock and world music usually so these don't seem to work that great, very bright and snappy, more so than my tele
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I had a PRS Ce22 from that era. It had Dragon I pickups in it and they were very agressive sounding. I think the 24 had HFS (Hot fat and screams) if I recall correctly. It was a very hot ceramic based pickup in the bridge position. Not sure about the neck pickup megnet type.

I think they are pretty much the opposite end of vintage sounding!

The 57/08 pickups are great. I have them in a McCarty, and they go for the classic PAF sound. They were made with extensive input from Ted McCarty himself.

I also have a Les Paul with a Seymour Alnico Pro II in the bridge, and a Jazz pickup in the neck. This is my favourite set of pickups. Killer classic tone. 57/08’s are my second fav.
Old 1 week ago
GAS out of control? Try Pepto-Bismol!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
GAS out of control? Try Pepto-Bismol!
Are you writing jingles?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I've heard of this a lot, I don't use a ton of bridge pickup, more neck, and i'd like to beef it up a tiny bit with .11s.... I'd love to hear what the jazz sounds like in the neck... i had a set of sd '59s in an epiphone sheraton ll, which was one of the best guitars i've ever owned at any price.... after those pickups, it was just great
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Meh, I explained it. It's a myth w/o pics. What part of that don't you understand?

Last edited by toowrongfoo; 1 week ago at 08:27 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
Are you writing jingles?
I wish - those guys get paid pretty good!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

i have a buddy who does that, he makes more than me by far, lol
i also can't figure out how to add a photo on this site
Old 4 days ago
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
i also can't figure out how to add a photo on this site
If you write or edit a post, search for „manage attachments“. There you can upload images.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
I keep changing guitars over and over, i used to keep them forever, i get picky and sell and trade, my most recent was a trade for a gibson es333, which was quite nice, but i'm tired of gibsons i believe, i got a beautiful prs ce24 from 1994... the problem is, i'm ALREADY wanting to change the pickups and i've had it for 1 day.... what is the matter with me... anyway looks like i'm taking this PRS which sounds great unamplified, and feels like butter, and turning it more vintage by putting some seth lovers or something in it, and putting ,11s on too.... somebody slap me already
What exactly is the problem here?
Old 4 days ago
I don't get it...

:P

Nothing wrong with improving a guitar my friend. Just in case there was any element of seriousness in the OP's post. GAS can be habit and about instant gratification, it's easier than working on your skills, and sometimes it can be about some pretty dark ****. To break the cycle you need to either go cold turkey or change your routine to start giving the reward center of your brain some other fixes than just spending money. Maybe set a goal of writing and recording music with the minimal elements in your kit, or get out and join a band if you're not already in one. Making music was the original shot that got you into this in the first place, get back to it.

Otherwise, if you got the dough just go for it man, for me PRS guitars can totally benefit from a little added mojo and personalized touches, their stock pickups are blank canvases.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

ok, let's try this
Attached Thumbnails
My new PRS and my GAS is out of control-img_7597.jpg   My new PRS and my GAS is out of control-img_7598.jpg   My new PRS and my GAS is out of control-img_7603.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

the thing about PRS guitars, they are so beautiful and so playable and even, but i feel like they sometimes have a little less personality, i'm gonna keep it a little while and if i'm not feeling it, i will go back to another 335 style probably
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
the thing about PRS guitars, they are so beautiful and so playable and even, but i feel like they sometimes have a little less personality, i'm gonna keep it a little while and if i'm not feeling it, i will go back to another 335 style probably
I hear that rather a lot but mostly from people who don't and some who have never owned one. I find this concept to be counter to evidence and often justification for not spending relatively Big Bux.

In the earliest days of PRS when there were just 2 variations on one model (mostly cosmetic) the players who not only endorsed them but actually played them as their main guitar, were Carlos Santana, Al DiMeola, Aerosmith, and Terrible Ted Nugent. IMHO that's a fairly wide variation of styles and sounds and it has only increased with more pickups and models available over the years. The range is even greater today including Folky, Country, Blues, Alternative, Punk, and hardcore Metal. If they are like Oatmeal how can they possibly fulfill so many unique uses in style and do it in exemplary fashion? They aren't bland, and while they are extremely versatile, that doesn't make them lack personality. They just have variations and complexity, IMHO..

During those early years I only ever witnessed 2 legitimate concerns. One was a guy who wanted more of the warmth common to a Les Paul so he had Paul Smith take out the weird delay switch (I forget what it was called) and had a traditional Tone control installed. Problem solved. The second was a guy who just had to have that Brad Gillis "warble" and there's no way to get that except with the spring stiffness common to a Floyd Rose. Problem not solved... then ..but is now since PRS with Floyds are available.
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just sold my last PRS. It was a nice Hollowbody but I never played it and my Gibsons have more personality. I owned several PRS guitars and they all played similar to an average Gibson (No offense to Gibson or PRS intended). I recently picked up an Epi 1960 Tribute LP. Now that's an exceptional playing guitar. It gives that classic Dickey Betts Allmon Brothers sound and not even my real LP can do that. I'd choose it over almost any PRS any day.
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I buy used gear with the idea that I'm going to sell if I don't like it. The problem is that I have really great taste in guitars, so that never happens.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok, let's try this
Nwice dude!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search