The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gibson selling direct now Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Is there ANYONE in the world that thinks 2+2=4?

Anyone? No?

Going down to "your local store to try it" is nearly impossible. What part of that do you not understand?

Maybe NYC or LA or even CHICAGO you have that. The rest of us? NO. Lemme repeat myself............NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOQ!!!!!!!!

Honestly I can't relate to the fuzzy math people spew.

Do you even think water is wet? Or do you have some other explanation that defies common sense
So your music stores only carry sheet music and player piano rolls?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting, did you think a general statement quoting someone else, who made a general statement, is about you ?
The above is not nonsense, a bit melodramatic perhaps, but not nonsense .

This is nothing but pure invective nonsense and total pointless BS.... so maybe now it is about you

OK that's your perspective. which fine
BUT Interestingly enough when I was in my 20's I thought the world would deteriorate significantly , but in point of fact it has not happend to nearly to extent I thought it would.
Perhaps to quote Dylan "But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now "

And while I completely agree that we have to patronize the brick and mortar stores, if we want to see them continue.
And people can certainly present their point of view, even a completely opposing view, with considered and concise wording or even laced with inventive dramatic flare .
None the less injection of invectives is nonsense as it accomplishes nothing, adds nothing of value, but simply serves to detract and derail
Actually, in my case about half the time it's intended to inject a bit of humor. Perhaps a bit too dry for some folks?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Guitar Showcase is one of them IMO.
Er, no.

Guitar Center is not an "indie". (You did notice that word, didn't you? Indie? It means " "Independent".)

Guitar Center is a BIG BOX CHAIN, the antithesis of "Indie".

Some of the indies in the Bay area include Haight Ashbury Music, Bananas At Large, Real Guitars (used and vintage), Subway Guitars (used and vintage), Guitar Showcase, 101 Music, Berkeley Musical Instrument Exchange, The Starving Musician, Gelb Music, The Music Depot, ABC Music, Hayward Music Center, and many, many other locations.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Er, no.

Guitar Center is not an "indie". (You did notice that word, didn't you? Indie? It means " "Independent".)

Guitar Center is a BIG BOX CHAIN, the antithesis of "Indie".

Some of the indies in the Bay area include Haight Ashbury Music, Bananas At Large, Real Guitars (used and vintage), Subway Guitars (used and vintage), Guitar Showcase, 101 Music, Berkeley Musical Instrument Exchange, The Starving Musician, Gelb Music, The Music Depot, ABC Music, Hayward Music Center, and many, many other locations.

Haha, and you didn't notice the word "Showcase" in my post:-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, in my case about half the time it's intended to inject a bit of humor. Perhaps a bit too dry for some folks?
OK in that case the humor sailed right over my head
But it is kinda hard sometimes to get an accurate fix on the relative humidity on the internets

In my case and at my age I am often very direct and outspoken but seldom take anything including myself too seriously
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Haha, and you didn't notice the word "Showcase" in my post:-)
Evidently not. Sorry 'bout that. Posting after waking up at 4 AM and can't get back to sleep......
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
I don't care, my local stores carry a very low percentage of what I'm interested. When in stock, I buy there. When not, I order online.

Why is this so complicated for you/others to understand?
Don't be ridiculous. Did you even read my post ??????

Your post (that I quoted) stated
"Going down to "your local store to try it is nearly impossible.
Maybe NYC or LA or even CHICAGO you have that. The rest of us? NO. Lemme repeat myself............NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOQ!!!!!!!!
"

Which total nonsense as stated and not even close to being valid as a universal statement of fact..

Had you stated "Going down to my local stores to try it is nearly impossible." THEN would have been a valid statement. What part of that is so complicated that you do not understand?

Last edited by KevWind; 6 days ago at 07:18 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Here's another reason why I question Gibson's online strategy:

Online sales of Gibson guitars are already being provided by Musicians Friend, Cascio Music, Sam Ash, and many others. They can do it better than Gibson because they already know how to run efficient retail operations at high volume and most importantly can offer an occasional low 'Sale' price to compensate buyers for buying a guitar site unseen. I suspect Gibson will hesitate to ever put any of their guitars on sale because they know they would alienate their distributors by doing so.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh, I think he did. I certainly did - and you're wrong. Even if you were right about modern wood all being tree-farmed - which you're not, especially in the case of imported woods and slow growth hardwoods - there is still considerable diversity between trees. And there's even more diversity after the wood is cured.

Wood bis a biologically grown material - it's not cranked out to uniform factory spec, like plastic. You might be able to "optimize" growth conditions but you can't homogenize the result.

And furthermore, tree farming optimizes the crop for fast growth and high output, with lots of water and fertilizer, which actually produces rather poor quality tonewood. Quality tonewood is close grain, and close grain wood is slow grown under conditions of restricted water. That's not what commercial operations aim for.
Oh, you myth-believers... you know, believing means knowing nothing. :-)

Its all myth-BS. There is no such thing as "tonewood". Its about stiffness and density, nothing more. If you would believe less and know more you wouldnt shred out such stupidities.

You dislike obviously sciene - but I have a reading recoemmnded to you (its in German, nonetheless truthful and pure science):

https://gitec-forum.de/wp/wp-content.../05/gesamt.pdf

Manfred Zollner - Physik der Elektrogitarre

Should stop anyone for being pathetic about such things such as "tonewood".
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Didn't Les Paul prefer solid metal which couldn't be used for obvious, practical reasons? Or is that just myth?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
Oh, you myth-believers... you know, believing means knowing nothing. :-)

Its all myth-BS. There is no such thing as "tonewood". Its about stiffness and density, nothing more. If you would believe less and know more you wouldnt shred out such stupidities.

You dislike obviously sciene - but I have a reading recoemmnded to you (its in German, nonetheless truthful and pure science):

https://gitec-forum.de/wp/wp-content.../05/gesamt.pdf

Manfred Zollner - Physik der Elektrogitarre

Should stop anyone for being pathetic about such things such as "tonewood".
Obviously you don'r know the meaning of the term "tonewood". I'll cut you a bit of slack on that since English isn't your first language, although many native English speakers also don't really understand the term.

"Tonewood" actually refers more to a GRADE of wood than a type of wood, as there are tonewoods from a bewildering array of different species.

Tonewood is simply wood of a grade that makes it more suitable for musical instruments. For example, spruce that has a tight, straight, close grain with relatively low water content and superior resonance is a better quality tonewood than spruce of the same species with wide grain, higher water content, and inferior resonance. Obviously stiffness and density are measurements that bear on these factors, but it goes further than that, as those two parameters don't directly bear on straightness of grain, which does affect resonant qualities.

Another quality that comes into play in wood used for the back and sides of an instrument is acoustic reflectivity. An acoustic guitar with hard rock maple back and sides sounds different than one with rosewood, which in turn is different than on with mahogany. (which of course is a simplification as there are different species and subspecies of rosewood and mahogany.)

"Tonewood" is also a term that is commonly used in the lumber industry, which I assume you know nothing about. (At one point I worked for a man who had a sideline in importing lumber from Eastern Europe and Russia who asked me to look into selling tonewoods to guitar manufacturers, so I know a little about that end of things, although not all that much.)

Note that, as with many things, advertising literature does not always use the term correctly. (Hey, admen generally aren't very smart. If they were smart they wouldn't be admen, they'd do something constructive...)

As it happens, I grew up in a university environment, have several real scientists in my family, and probably have greater general science knowledge than you, as I've had a lifelong interest in the sciences. I won several prizes in my high school science fairs, started fooling around with rudimentary electronics in grade school, and learned quite a bit about woodworking from my father, who maintained a full woodworking shop for his hobby of restoring antique furniture.

I know quite a bit about the various sciences. I grew up with the children of department heads in various sciences among my close friend and my family frequently had various science professors as guests. My father was also close to a number of people with the Princeton University physics department, including one Professor Einstein (and have photographic proof). Unfortunately if I ever met the great man I was too young to remember.

I also know enough about science (having grown up in a university environment) to know that one paper means nothing and that often various practitioners of the same science may disagree bitterly. If I can find an English translation of your paper I'll read it, but I doubt that it will teach me anything I don't already know. (EDIT: Every few years a paper comes around written by some bright boys who attempt to apply scientific analysis to the art and craft of musical instrument construction. The vast majority of these papers are of questionable validity since the"scientists" (usually grad students) are writing about a subject they actually know nothing about - they're not luthiers - and they usually start out trying to "prove" some half-baked hypothesis. Consequently more often than not no two of these papers agree with each other.)

Incidentally, the idea of "tonewood" in the context of the solid body electric guitar is somewhat bogus. While the wood does affect the tone of a solidbody guitar to some degree the differences are largely subjective and good solidbody guitars have been constructed from non-wood materials, including Lucite and aircraft aluminum. With acoustic guitars it's an entirely different story.

Your paper does not appear to be loading for me. I'll give it a bit more time, but I don't have all day.

Edit: It finally loaded. I can't read that and I seriously doubt that any computer translation could cope with the technical language.

If you would be so kind as to furnish a translation I'll read it and tell you what I think.

EDIT: I've scanned through it as best I can and it looks quite interesting, although I couldn't read anything having to do with woods, which was what we were talking about. However since schematics, tube spec charts, and scope traces are universal I could understand a bit more of the amplifier section. Without being able to understand the text it appears pretty well done, for the most part. I did detect at least one minor error, in that the early Fender 6L6 amps were NOT designed for the 6L6GC (which did not exist at the time), they were designed for the original metal case 6L6, which had significantly lower specs regarding plate voltage, output power, current capacity, etc. They will run OK with the newer tube (which is backwards compatible), but it's not what they were designed for and performance with the original tube set may have been somewhat different - I don't know for certain as I've never run the analysis.

Again, if you can furnish an English translation I'd love to read it - it looks on the surface to be interesting and probably better done than most that I've come across.

Of course amplifiers and electronics in general are much better suited to scientific analysis than the construction of wooden instruments.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 6 days ago at 07:42 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Didn't Les Paul prefer solid metal which couldn't be used for obvious, practical reasons? Or is that just myth?
Dunno. However the (extremely rare, expensive, and sought after) Veleno guitars were made of aircraft aluminum.

veleno guitar - Google Search
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
About 3-4 years ago Best Buy here in the US was really being impacted by showrooming (particularly on large flatscreen TVs and to a lesser extent on computers), to the point that it was questionable whether their brick-and-mortar stores could survive. The way they seem to have handled this was by having an honest conversation with their major suppliers -- Samsung, Sony, HP, Apple etc. -- and laid out the fact that if they together couldn't solve this issue, it would hurt both Best Buy and the suppliers. The basic problem was that Best Buy was not being compensated for a unique service they were providing to the suppliers -- that of providing space in their physical stores so customers could walk in, try out and view that products they were considering.

The result was the suppliers essentially paying Best Buy to create and maintain "showroom" areas in the physical stores, each area showcasing that supplier's products. The agreements decoupled the cost of providing and maintaining the physical display space from the cost of maintaining stock and handling the boxed product that customers take home.

It appears to have worked out fairly well. Best Buy's financials are no longer dire, there are very nice product display areas for each brand in the stores, and sales of the supplier's products (total of internet commerce and commerce from physical stores) has overall increased.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoRoom View Post
About 3-4 years ago Best Buy here in the US was really being impacted by showrooming (particularly on large flatscreen TVs and to a lesser extent on computers), to the point that it was questionable whether their brick-and-mortar stores could survive. The way they seem to have handled this was by having an honest conversation with their major suppliers -- Samsung, Sony, HP, Apple etc. -- and laid out the fact that if they together couldn't solve this issue, it would hurt both Best Buy and the suppliers. The basic problem was that Best Buy was not being compensated for a unique service they were providing to the suppliers -- that of providing space in their physical stores so customers could walk in, try out and view that products they were considering.

The result was the suppliers essentially paying Best Buy to create and maintain "showroom" areas in the physical stores, each area showcasing that supplier's products. The agreements decoupled the cost of providing and maintaining the physical display space from the cost of maintaining stock and handling the boxed product that customers take home.

It appears to have worked out fairly well. Best Buy's financials are no longer dire, there are very nice product display areas for each brand in the stores, and sales of the supplier's products (total of internet commerce and commerce from physical stores) has overall increased.
That's a good idea. The question is whether it would be workable for the guitar industry since the entire industry is in recession and manufacturers are often in nearly as bad shape as retailers.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
The question is whether it would be workable for the guitar industry since the entire industry is in recession and manufacturers are often in nearly as bad shape as retailers.
Agreed. I just hadn't seen this point brought up yet and thought it might be useful to mention. (A side effect is that I don't feel as guilty when checking out new tech toys at BB now.)
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoRoom View Post
Agreed. I just hadn't seen this point brought up yet and thought it might be useful to mention. (A side effect is that I don't feel as guilty when checking out new tech toys at BB now.)
I go to BB because it's convenient. To date I have never found their prices to be the "best buy". But when I need ink or a new mouser, they're there. When I was still in SF I'd go to Central Computer, but I'm not in The City anymore.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Ok so we are back on this tone wood discussion, which is a bit of a hijack if it wasn't the OP in it, BUT ....... MEANWHILE ..... back at the ranch so to speak this past weekend saw a preponderance of articles posted on the web about Gibson Facing down bankruptcy and Henry's demise, what do you all think is it in any way related to Gibson's going in for Direct sales, first there was reports of them selling off Memphis properties and moving operations there to smaller facilities , with an accompanying denial of any financial wows, then direct sales and now reports of them facing down debt coming due they can't pay. Is this bigger than they are letting on.

Last edited by allphourus; 5 days ago at 05:41 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
...Is this bigger than they are letting on...
IMO, hopefully. But more so, I would like to see the Gibson name go back the Heritage Guitars.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
IMO, hopefully. But more so, I would like to see the Gibson name go back the Heritage Guitars.
I know what you mean, but careful what you wish for - if they do go bust then there's no guarantees who would buy the brand name or what they would do with it. A brand like that is a potentially valuable asset - hopefully a decent company will take it on, but it's in the lap of the gods.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
Ok so we are back on this tone wood discussion, which is a bit of a hijack if it wasn't the OP in it, BUT ....... MEANWHILE ..... back at the ranch so to speak this past weekend saw a preponderance of articles posted on the web about Gibson Facing down bankruptcy and Henry's demise, what do you all think is it in any way related to Gibson's going in for Direct sales, first there was reports of them selling off Memphis properties and moving operations there to smaller facilities , with an accompanying denial of any financial wows, then direct sales and now reports of them facing down debt coming due they can't pay. Is this bigger than they are letting on.
Of course it's bigger than they are letting on. But you have the chronology kinda backwards the question of the looming debt, with a significant amount coming due this summer, is not recent news that has been known for at good while .

But yes closing and selling assets and no doubt selling direct, are moves to counter defaulting on the loans as are likely undisclosed other tactics to restructure the debt
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search