The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Kemper profiler - any actually decent recordings?
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Head

Kemper profiler - any actually decent recordings?

Hey all,

So I've been considering buying a kemper profiler for a while now for DI recording. The type of music I make is in the worlds of Sonic Youth, MBV, Television, Pixies that kinda vibe. Thing is from what I see on the internet the use case of the kemper seems to be dominated by... I am a metal recording artist or, clean blues. I actually want to hear what a decent rock song where a kemper has been used to record the guitars sounds like. Does anyone know of any legit songs that a kemper has been used on? You know like QOTSA or something not just some dude on soundcloud where the mix is so off that it's hard to know whether a DI kemper will sit in a "professional" mix. My concern is that a kemper DId will still retain that pingy close direct input tone blended with the amp tone and therefore be a bit unusuable. A lot of the music I make relies on distant amp tone and things the kemper might struggle to achieve so I just want to hear some really solid tunes that it's been used on. If it's as good as the Internet say then I'd be shocked if there are no examples.. Thanks
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Internet said go to Kemper forum and ask there...
Old 21st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlessadam View Post
Hey all,

So I've been considering buying a kemper profiler for a while now for DI recording. The type of music I make is in the worlds of Sonic Youth, MBV, Television, Pixies that kinda vibe. Thing is from what I see on the internet the use case of the kemper seems to be dominated by... I am a metal recording artist or, clean blues. I actually want to hear what a decent rock song where a kemper has been used to record the guitars sounds like. Does anyone know of any legit songs that a kemper has been used on? You know like QOTSA or something not just some dude on soundcloud where the mix is so off that it's hard to know whether a DI kemper will sit in a "professional" mix. My concern is that a kemper DId will still retain that pingy close direct input tone blended with the amp tone and therefore be a bit unusuable. A lot of the music I make relies on distant amp tone and things the kemper might struggle to achieve so I just want to hear some really solid tunes that it's been used on. If it's as good as the Internet say then I'd be shocked if there are no examples.. Thanks
This band tracked their whole album with a Kemper - not blues or metal :

Music | FM Berlin
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

I always go back to this video where Kemper literaly blew my socks off. A very teriffic player, too.

Old 21st January 2018
Gear Maniac

I have one. It’s awesome.

The profiles are all made with close mics, so all tones are close mic tones. Gotta figure out another way to add room ambience to the track.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Nut

Check out Faith No Mores last album Sol Invictus. The Kemper was used on it quite extensively. Confused on the part that you are a metal guitarist but want like Sonic Youth, The Pixies, MBV, and QOTSA? Never thought any of those groups were metal sounding.

I own the Kemper and think it’s the best of all the amp modelers but still cannot replicate the mojo of a mic in front of a real guitar amp.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Head

Hey guys just to clarify I am not a metal guitarist I am saying I want to hear a kemper in the context of those rock bands I've mentioned and not the usual metal videos you get on YouTube. Listen to the tone in danger bird by Neil young for example do you ever think a kemper could achieve such a tone? If someone could prove this to me then I would buy one immediately. I think the problem will be capturing the vibrancy and vibe of a band in a room YouTube
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

The video I posted is not metal, and the tone Kemper has there is absolutely sublime.
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
The video I posted is not metal, and the tone Kemper has there is absolutely sublime.
Great playing, but still a rather artificial processed sounding tone.
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Chris Anderson in the Outlaws uses a Kemper. They released a double live album in 2015 and his Kemper sound is what you'll hear on that.

We just saw them live this past December 2017 and I'd say his Kemper tone has improved even more, it sounded great from the 4th row center.

Good luck in your quest and good music to all!
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Great playing, but still a rather artificial processed sounding tone.
Well, no. Not artificial sounding at all - there's great dynamics in there. FX in Kemper are great, too. Might as well call any guitar sound that has any FX on it "processed", lol.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Nut

Well Neil Young is Neil Young..so the bulk of his tone is obviously him.

I’ve been able to achieve a similar sound to Danger Bird by using outboard gear with the Kemper..as I haven’t found it to do it all by itself.

I think the video posted is a very poor representation of what your probably going after. Unfortunately a lot of videos show the Kemper in a live setting. You won’t really know if you like it until you spend a decent amount of time going through the amp profiles. I would be stunned if someone like Neil Young, Kevin Shields, or Thurston Moore recorded ever with something like a Kemper as they are purists at heart. More likely Trent Reznor would use one to record.

Last edited by madcap8465; 21st January 2018 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Change
Old 21st January 2018
All the rhythms and some of the leads on this record are Kemper
Hundred Suns - Amaranthine
Old 25th January 2018
I have a kemper and love it. I would like to mention there are several controls to shape your sound, also to make it sound more "in the room" if that's what you are looking for, although it aims to replicate the sound you feed into a mic and not the room.

That said, it is the way you use it that determines how it sounds. Some people miss the sound of a real amp without understanding they just need a real cab with their kemper (if they are looking to recreate the sound and air coming from a 4x12 cab in the room). Anyway, there are plenty of examples but you might want to watch these videos:

despite they aren't using profiles created by experts (so there is a noticeable difference between the real amp and the kemper), they believe the kemper is the real amp

and this one from Tim Pierce, great tones.
Old 25th January 2018
Hmm, the Kemper has an achilles heel with it's reverbs. For that Joey Santiago tone you need the fender spring reverb and the Kempers verb while nice and lush is not very good at spring verb sounds. In addition as others have mentioned the Kemper does close mic'd, you need a good room verb to get that distant mic'd sound.

Having said that there are ways to get around it. e.g. stomps, effects in DAW and so on.

Feel free to check out my recordings, I wouldn't call them "good" but they do cover a bunch of different styles other than metal so you can hear a range of Kemper tones.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
All the rhythms and some of the leads on this record are Kemper
Hundred Suns - Amaranthine
Sounds fantastic man. Would love to hear some info about the profiles you used if you don't mind!
Old 26th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Sounds fantastic man. Would love to hear some info about the profiles you used if you don't mind!
This was my first jump into the Kemper so I got some packs I dug the sound of. If I'm not mistaken, they were some tones from the Double Impact Productions Ultimate Profile Bundle 1. Really good metal tones in that guy.

Gotta hand it to Beau Burchell though. He engineered most of the vocals and mixed the record. Really brought it to life.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
This was my first jump into the Kemper so I got some packs I dug the sound of. If I'm not mistaken, they were some tones from the Double Impact Productions Ultimate Profile Bundle 1. Really good metal tones in that guy.

Gotta hand it to Beau Burchell though. He engineered most of the vocals and mixed the record. Really brought it to life.
Nice! Gonna have to give those a try, they do sound really good. Super cool they have a couple free profiles. Just picked up a Kemper the other day and I'm kinda overwhelmed with options... trying not to spend another $2000 on profiles!
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Hey all,

Buck Dharma of BOC has been using a Kemper a fair amount for the last couple years. I don't know which parts of which recordings but I do know he uses it a lot to match tones for overdubs.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I always go back to this video where Kemper literaly blew my socks off. A very teriffic player, too.

"Literally?" Well, no. Metaphorically, maybe, but if literally, your feet would get cold.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
"Literally?" Well, no. Metaphorically, maybe, but if literally, your feet would get cold.
lol, George Carlin would have been all over that one
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
And indeed they did get cold, so I put my socks back on.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

A lot of Andy Sneap uses kemper.... Testament... Amon Amarth...
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear
YouTube

100% Kemper (bass guitar as well)
Old 31st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
A lot of Andy Sneap uses kemper.... Testament... Amon Amarth...
Not what was asked. The question specifically excluded modern metal.

Not a Sneap fan at all, personally, not that it makes a hell of a lot of difference.
Old 31st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
YouTube

100% Kemper (bass guitar as well)
Nice one! Did you have something to do with the recording?
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Not what was asked. The question specifically excluded modern metal.

Not a Sneap fan at all, personally, not that it makes a hell of a lot of difference.
Where in the question does it say to exclude metal. The word metal shows up only in one sentence where he says he does metal.
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Nice one! Did you have something to do with the recording?
I produced it, along with Eric Bazilian.

It was the project that made up my mind to get my own Kemper.
Old 31st January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey all,

I solely do UK Alt Rock/Indie Pop/Rock Bands.

When researching the possibilities of introducing a Kemper into my workflow, I came to much pretty the same conclusion.. it's a no brainier for Metal.

However finding these profiles:

Top Jimi Kemper Profiles of Medium-Gain Amps

Top Jimi Kemper Profiles of Lower-Gain Amps

Tipped the balance in favour of making it happen, these sound amazing with pedals too!
and I always take a DI, and it's a mix of real amps and the Kemper ...but I could make a great sounding record (and have done) with just the Kemper!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search