The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
humbucking pickup for clean archetypal "Jazz" tone? Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
You may suspect any number of things about me personally, but that doesn't necessarily make them true.
Sure, granted. But what you say implies certain things about your level of experience.

When I started playing in the early '60s the hock shops of Oklahoma City were literally packed with vintage jazz guitars from the late '40s and '50s, generally selling for $50-$75. I grew up with that stuff.

Gibson does not make any off the shelf pickup that comes even remotely close to what was on those guitars and hasn't for half a century. If you really want that sound you have to go to a custom winder like Fralin or Lollar and specify your requirements.
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Sure, granted. But what you say implies certain things about your level of experience.

When I started playing in the early '60s the hock shops of Oklahoma City were literally packed with vintage jazz guitars from the late '40s and '50s, generally selling for $50-$75. I grew up with that stuff.

Gibson does not make any off the shelf pickup that comes even remotely close to what was on those guitars and hasn't for half a century. If you really want that sound you have to go to a custom winder like Fralin or Lollar and specify your requirements.
And how much would a Lollar or Fralin would cost for a decent humbucking creamy archtop type of stringlette ?

5K $ ??
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
And how much would a Lollar or Fralin would cost for a decent humbucking creamy archtop type of stringlette ?

5K $ ??
Fralin PAF style pickups start at about $150. You can order with your choice of wire, number of windings, and magnet material and they will work with you to achieve the results you need. Call or email them.

Lindy Fralin Guitar Humbuckers: Boutique Handmade Pickups.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search