The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how much would you spend on a guitar? Electric Guitar
Old 8th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I wasn't born yesterday. I have no objection to bargaining for what feels like a fair price, and either party is free to walk away from a deal that doesn't work for them. And of course I'm not talking about suggested retail, which is a fiction that exists solely to ensure that people who need to feel like they've gotten a deal get a reasonable starting point. Nor am I talking about the bizarre dance where music retailers stage sales of 50% off everything in the store – after marking it all up to prices that they've never actually asked anyone for in the first place.

No, I'm talking about the modern retail experience where most everyone is aware of the existence of online retail and carries a smartphone. They're in a position to decide for themselves whether paying the asking price for a piece of gear is fair and they'd like to support the business in question. Characterizing someone as a "sucker" because they could have paid less is part of a mindset that is actively dismantling the experience I grew up with – the ability to walk into a store and try out new gear before buying it. You might as well call anyone who tips a sucker because they don't have to pay that much.

Everyone has different means, and hunting for bargains is a fine tradition that I'm not down on. As noted upthread, the most I've ever paid for a guitar was a used instrument that I liked the feel and tone of more than anything else anywhere near the price. Did I haggle over what they were asking? No. I loved the shop and the ability to walk in and play an eclectic selection of fantastic instruments. Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz is well worth visiting and, in my opinion, worth supporting.
Now that's a great point! I strongly believe in supporting local stores because they are vanishing. My best friend and band vocalist Carol had a nice store for 15 years. One guy checks out a high end Steve Vai Ibanez, but buys it online to save $40. Then he had problems and comes in wanting Carol to help with the warranty issues. So he eventually closed his store. Many smaller stores are surviving because of instrument rentals for schools. Now we are down to 2 stores in a town of 60,000 and all the people in a 40 mile driving radius.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Addict

I don't know how much would be my limit on how much I would spend on one guitar. I haven't seen or played that guitar yet. Or I might already have it. Two guitars tie for the most I ever paid for one musical instrument. Those are a 1956 Gibson ES-175D and a 1960 ES-330TD. I bought them in the 2000s. In 2017 I acquired the most awesome electric guitar I have ever played- a 1957 Les Paul TV Junior. The number on its tag was more than either my ES-175 or ES-330. I could not afford to buy it. I did, however, have five guitars that somebody else was willing to trade his TV Junior and 1999 Les Paul R6 for. All things considered, had I not gotten the TV Junior I probably would have eventually bought a 1950s single cutaway Junior. But it might not have been a TV model because there are fewer of those and they are usually more expensive than the sunburst ones.

There are three guitars I am interested in. I won't know if I will actually buy one, two, or all three until one, two, or all three of them show up for sale near me. I don't buy guitars without trying them out first. Those three are a Gibson Barney Kessel Custom or Regular, a Les Paul Recording, and/or an early 1960s or maybe late 1950s Fender Duo Sonic. Whatever any one of those costs whenever I find one might be the most I will pay for a guitar in the future. But right now I really don't know if or when I am going to buy or trade for more guitars and what exactly they will be. I like to be surprised by what I find sometimes.

2017 was the year I spent the least amount of money on guitars I really like. My wife actually bought the least expensive one for me- a Chiyoda classical guitar made in Japan in the 1960s. It was $50 from an estate sale. I play it every day. 2017 was the year I spent the least amount of money on one electric guitar I like a lot- a late 1970s Hondo II bolt neck Les Paul copy. It was $115. I was surprised. It was already set up and ready to play when I found it. All I had to do was put my size strings on it. A week or two later I played a four hour gig with it. It got it done. I also got a late 1970s Montaya bolt neck Les Paul copy for $125. All I had to do to it was put my size strings on it and clean the electronics with contact cleaner. I also traded two inexpensive acoustics for a late 1970s Aria bolt neck Les Paul copy and a late 1970s Ibanez CN100. I also bought an awesome mid 1970s Aria ES-335 copy, one of the better ones from that era, for around $350. All of the bolt neck Les Paul copies and the Aria ES-335 copy are regular gigging machines. They are also often spares for my TV Junior.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

I'm not sure. It would be a custom guitar, since no factory guitar has the features I want (chief being a 1-7/8" wide nut).
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave44 View Post
Now that's a great point, staying in tune & you never know until it's yours. Out of all the guitars, the '53 tele with God awful looking ancient Kluson tuners is unbelievable. The nut is critical on a tele. When it was re-fretted the guy made a custom bone nut and really nailed it. PRS locking tuners are a close second. But you sometimes just get lucky even with much less expensive guitars.
So true, I have a gibson es333 that is super nice, and i had a new nut cut recently and it stays in tune so much better
I want to do the same with my '52 tele, but it stays in tune pretty well already... that thing was ok when i got it and i am slowly turning it into a totally modern tele lol
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

At this stage of my life, my typical starting point is 3k and up. After typically 2k, everything you are buying past that is cosmetic/uniqueness. Generally a 5k Guitar plays zero better than a $1500 Guitar.

My favorite builders today are Tom Anderson, Suhr, PRS, and Collins.
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Generally a 5k Guitar plays zero better than a $1500 Guitar.
that may be true of electric guitars. I tend to doubt it's true of steel string guitars.

However, i find there is a world of difference in playability, tone, and projection between a $5000 classical or flamenco guitar and one that is $1500.
Old 13th January 2018
I spent about 2K for a new ES-335 10 or 12 years ago. But I tend to use an 83 Strat (that was about $600 back then?) or a more recent (2012) Les Paul Studio Deluxe (about $1100). So it depends on the sound you want. An ES-335 should be more expensive, I think, because it is harder to make well. The Fender is just parts that get screwed together! I'm constantly amazed at how good a sound it makes. The Les Paul takes a little more labor to make. The ES-335 takes a lot more work, especially with a carved top.

But I count us all lucky, especially us electric players, compared with the cost of good instruments that our classical brethren face. I have a professional bassist in the family, and I can only tell you that you're underestimating what they're paying, by a lot!

Given my needs, I think the ES-335 was as high as I ever needed to go. I also have an old SG Deluxe ('72 I think), and I rarely play it. I guess it has some value although at the time it was not so expensive ($500 or a little less? I don't remember), but I guess the ES-335 is more valuable today.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
how many of you are making 150k plus? just wondering how much of peoples yearly income they would spend on a guitar.... i would love to buy a nice classical and damn they are not cheap
Me! I'd spend up to about $6k-$7k but luckily, when guitars I want (mostly electrics) are somewhere up there, it's msrp. Which leaves a ton of room for negotiation.

Classical Guitar? My comfort level is $500 tops. Why? Because over the course of my life, the zillions of classical guitars I've played and recorded have been in the $250-$700 price range and they ALL sounded fine to my ears. And to anyone who listened to the tracks.

I don't play classical enough or sit around looking at the wood deeply enough to care about what I would've gotten for higher price points.

I have a couple of old classical guitars around that I've had forever and I don't even remember what they are off the top of my head. I should look in the cases.... maybe they're now worth some serious money.
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Addict

i would not spend more than $2500 at my current income level.... on an electric
if i made $200k plus that may change...
i'd also spend more on an acoustic than i would on an electric
jazz guitars are super expensive as well, but i tend to like an es175 more than an L5.... call me crazy.... or lucky
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old 13th January 2018
Gear Addict

how much?
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

TOO MUCH! 2k + USD from what I can gather

Please god help me, for I'm about to sin!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Kinda, maybe a poor-mans Guthrie Govan Charvel????????????
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Addict

or a used ibanez prestige for like $900 lol
or wait for one of them to come on the used market... wait this is gearslutz, sorry
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

$2000 is my limit for a slab body bolt on. $3000 for a hollow body. No fancy inlays and "relic" treatment. If it's not a functional feature, I don't want to pay for it.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
or a used ibanez prestige for like $900 lol
or wait for one of them to come on the used market... wait this is gearslutz, sorry
This is the first of it's kind, a totally new model line, so I'd guess the first ones showing up used will be no earlier than 6 months.

I can't afford even that right now, but my guess is that this is going to be a very popular guitar.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Oh, I just noticed they have "premium" and "prestige" so that price point is about 700 bucks different. The only two differences I've noticed are the premium is a 42mm nut and the tusq as opposed to bone nut.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old 15th January 2018
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Head
£1600 for my 2nd hand Gretsch Tennessee Rose a few years ago. Doubt I'd ever pay even that much for anything other than a Gretsch Proline, they just feel and sound vastly more quality than anything else I've ever tried.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Addict

i don't get spending $2000 on a strat, and if i did, it would be a suhr or tom anderson probably.... but then again, i would buy one used and pay closer to $1500
the fender custom shop guitars are amazingly expensive, it's two pieces of solid wood bolted together, all factory machined, i just don't get why it would cost that much
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
I just figured it out

I'll take back the elite fender (which I'm kinda not diggin' as much as I thought) and apply that 48 mo. financing on the new AZ

Now, do I get a premium or a prestige. I like the premium color best:

Ibanez AZ242F AZ Premium Series Electric Guitar Tequila Sunrise Gradation | Guitar Center

But I think I'm going to go prestige and get this even though I don't like the color as much:

Ibanez AZ2402 AZ Prestige Series Electric Guitar | Guitar Center

I'm STOKED!!!!!!
that ibanez is beautiful
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i don't get spending $2000 on a strat, and if i did, it would be a suhr or tom anderson probably.... but then again, i would buy one used and pay closer to $1500
the fender custom shop guitars are amazingly expensive, it's two pieces of solid wood bolted together, all factory machined, i just don't get why it would cost that much
Yeah, the CS stuff is ghastly. I'd love a Mayones, but they are now ghastly, my Caparison is like a poor-mans version and that was north of 2k But it's a dream to play, just wish it wasn't quite a one-trick pony.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
At this stage of my life, my typical starting point is 3k and up. After typically 2k, everything you are buying past that is cosmetic/uniqueness. Generally a 5k Guitar plays zero better than a $1500 Guitar.

My favorite builders today are Tom Anderson, Suhr, PRS, and Collins.
These days a $500 guitar plays zero better than a $1500 guitar. If you really think about it, even the most expensive guitar is still only about $150 worth of raw materials. The difference ends up being the finish, the pups and the hardware. Which have nothing to do with play-ability.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
These days a $500 guitar plays zero better than a $1500 guitar. If you really think about it, even the most expensive guitar is still only about $150 worth of raw materials. The difference ends up being the finish, the pups and the hardware. Which have nothing to do with play-ability.
I think you need to educate yourself my friend. Just a piece of AAAA flame maple at 3/4” is double that.

Torrefied Curly Maple Top for Carved-top Solidbodies | stewmac.com

I would agree as far as playability, you’re not getting any better over the $1,500, which I had already stated, it mainly is cosmetic after that.

All you have to do is play a core PRS and then am SE, if you can’t tell the playability difference, you have limited experience. Now does the cost justify the gains, debatable.

The material the bridge is made from makes a massive difference.

The quality of the tuners is huge!

The quality of the pickups is a huge difference.

The thickness of the maple top vs a veneer makes a huge difference in tone.

Saying there is no difference between a 500 and a 1500 Guitar is about the same as one Chardonnay is the same as all the others.

Saying their is no difference between a $500 and a $1,590, hum you would be insulting the intelligence of several hundred thousand guitarist.

Now, are there some $500 guitars that are better than some $1500 guitars. Now that’s a statement I could get behind. But I would also say that’s the exception, not even close to being the Rule.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Frack me!!!!!!!!!!!

tom quayle ibanez - Bing video

Man, I'm telling you, these are NOT going to last on the shelves for long. I'm just another sucker with a dollar, they're going to be very popular.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Depends on one's income I guess. I have a friend who spent $85,000 on a 5 string banjo.
Most I've ever spent on a stringed instrument is $4500.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

That tops me!

Let's face it, we're crazy.......
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Addict

ok, can i just say AAAA maple tops are just annoying to me.... i have no reason for them to exist
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Figured wood is pretty. I like the look of it. Unfortunately, in MY experience, guitars (especially necks) made from highly figured wood have not sound as good as their more plain counterparts. Now, this could be for any number of reasons, many unrelated to the figured wood, but I've noticed a trend in the ones I've played. Plus, there may be a strength issue, albeit minor. So I tend to go for non-figured woods in my guitars, with the added benefit of them being cheaper as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search