The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Two notes Torpedo Captor vs Suhr Reactive Load
Old 30th December 2017
Two notes Torpedo Captor vs Suhr Reactive Load

Hey folks!
I have some pretty nice gear for recording my amps - great cabs, mics and preamps, but I'm looking for a way to expand my palette of sounds cabinet wise. I was thinking of buying a couple different cabs, but cash and storage space are pretty limited and I liked the sounds some people are getting with the real amp + reactive loadbox + IRs combo.
I've narrowed it down to Two Notes Torpedo Captor and Suhr Reactive Load. I'm looking for opinions from people who have tried both.
The Suhr RL is more than twice the price of the Torpedo Captor. Does the Suhr sound better than the reactive load portion of the Captor?
I don't care for the additional features of the Captor. I don't need the attenuator or the onboard analog sim, so I'd just like to hear how the 2 units compare when used as a reactive load with IRs.
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Guru

From my understanding, reactive loads wouldn't necessarily have huge differences in sound, compared to passive resistive loads, where the sound difference can be pretty obvious and quite disparaging (I remember trying several resistive loads, each sounded differently, whereas the one reactive load I tried, by Two Notes, it sounded damn near identical to a real mic'd cab, after using their Wall Of Sound software). I might be wrong.

I'm a fan of Two Notes products, so I'd always go with that.
Old 30th December 2017
Thanks!
I'm aware that the differences won't be huge, but I'm quite nitpicky when it comes to sound. If the Suhr sounds slightly better, that would justify paying more for me. If there are no discernible differences, then I'll prefer the cheaper option of course
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Guru

"Slightly" better for "more than twice the price" doesn't add up to me no matter how you spin it.
Old 30th December 2017
I will agree on a theoretical level, but if it gives me a better sound and I can still afford it, I'll go for it.
Old 30th December 2017
Jtt
Gear Addict

Very happy with the Captor; haven't tried the Suhr.

I can play my sovtek mig 100 again, without blowing out the windows, and it it sounds lovely too.
Old 30th December 2017
I have the Captor and love it. Haven't tried the Suhr.
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mihaljevic View Post
Thanks!
I'm aware that the differences won't be huge, but I'm quite nitpicky when it comes to sound. If the Suhr sounds slightly better, that would justify paying more for me. If there are no discernible differences, then I'll prefer the cheaper option of course
Going by this your only real option is to get both and compare them for yourself. How are a bunch of online comments going to make the decision given your nitpicky-ness?
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Going by this your only real option is to get both and compare them for yourself. How are a bunch of online comments going to make the decision given your nitpicky-ness?
Sounds like you need to take a trip to the Guitar Center pro gear rental department... Buy, test and return!

I think amazon is probably good like that too

A guy sells hand made reqctive boxes on Reverb... Jule's music box. I bought the 200w 8ohm one for sixty bucks or so and picked up the suhr. I had a few if my gtr guys play through them both and reamped same signal through both as well.

I'm not really a gtr player but I couldn't reliably detect any real difference. The gtr guys (monster Cats) couldn't either. Suhr got gifted to a buddy for Xmas!
Old 30th December 2017
Quote:
Well, that would probably be the best way to go about it if I had the budget to get both
Just looking for some real world experiences
Old 30th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
A guy sells hand made reqctive boxes on Reverb... Jule's music box. I bought the 200w 8ohm one for sixty bucks or so and picked up the suhr. I had a few if my gtr guys play through them both and reamped same signal through both as well.

I'm not really a gtr player but I couldn't reliably detect any real difference. The gtr guys (monster Cats) couldn't either. Suhr got gifted to a buddy for Xmas!
That sounds good! I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, that would probably be the best way to go about it if I had the budget to get both
Just looking for some real world experiences
Well, you're going to end up with only one of them in the end, so what's the problem with "borrowed" funds?

Unless, you cave in and keep them both.
Old 31st December 2017
Quote:

bgood, I can't seem to find Jule's Music Box on Reverb or anywhere else for that matter. Could you send me a link?

Quote:
Well, you're going to end up with only one of them in the end, so what's the problem with "borrowed" funds?

Unless, you cave in and keep them both.
You're right. Most local stores here don't offer that option, but I could order both online from thomann, do a shootout and return whichever one loses.
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
bgood, I can't seem to find Jule's Music Box on Reverb or anywhere else for that matter. Could you send
My bad... Search reverb for

"Julius music box"
Old 31st December 2017
Quote:
My bad... Search reverb for

"Julius music box"
ok, found it, but seems it's all sold out
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok, found it, but seems it's all sold out
Just pm the guy on reverbs site... Super nice cat
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear
Using the Shur with Own Hammer IRs here and it sounds great. I think one of the Two Notes has a cab loader built in which would be nice cause then you could follow it with an analog eq or compressor on the way in.
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Lemme add that I use the two notes cab loader... Love
Old 1st January 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey folks!
I have some pretty nice gear for recording my amps - great cabs, mics and preamps, but I'm looking for a way to expand my palette of sounds cabinet wise. I was thinking of buying a couple different cabs, (..)
Another option would be to equip a 4x12 cab with four different speakers.
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Another option would be to equip a 4x12 cab with four different speakers.
I thought about that too! It's more expensive than the reactive load + IRs solution and still doesn't give me as much versatility since different cab constructions sound different. With a reactive load, I'll have 4x12, 2x12, 4x10, 1x10... open or closed back cabs...
I have my main sounds dialed in with the physical cabs I have, so this would mainly serve the purpose of giving me more variety.
Old 1st January 2018
Deleted be25781
Man get an attenuator, keep it analog. I had a Torpedo Studio, sold it.
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be25781 View Post
Man get an attenuator, keep it analog. I had a Torpedo Studio, sold it.
Don't need an attenuator. The volume is not an issue in this case. I have no problem cranking my amps way loud and recording that way.
What I want is more versatility with cab choices, but don't have the budget our space for 5 more cabs.

What was it that you didn't like about your Torpedo Studio?
Old 1st January 2018
Deleted be25781
Quote:
Don't need an attenuator. The volume is not an issue in this case. I have no problem cranking my amps way loud and recording that way.
What I want is more versatility with cab choices, but don't have the budget our space for 5 more cabs.

What was it that you didn't like about your Torpedo Studio?
Oh right ok, might have posted too fast.

It's an awesome unit, but it's still a simulation of the real thing. I need an attenuator, and I finally found a good one that doesn't mess with my tone. The Torpedo sounded flat to me, like it was actually kind of sucking the life out of my amp. I think you need to move some actual physical air, instead of algorithmically modelled air, it's never the same twice. For live or practising, it's the bomb. I just don't really want to record with it. It's also great that you can sort of audition different kinds of mic and speaker simulations and combinations, to get any desired tone you want. A lot cheaper or convenient than buying all these different items weighing them down and eventually selling them again so see what suits you. This is actually a really nice way to find your own sound.

I like the sound of eighties and nineties records, this kind of makes me sound too modern even if it's a accurate simulation of the real thing. Strange isn't it? Might be because everybody is using IR's and simulations these days at home, kind of makes everything sound the same and throw the whole thing into this day and age. Then again, it depends on how you want to sound. Just my honest opinion of course, I'm a tone chaser at heart. I don't go for second best, even having an attenuator is a compromise, but it's the best thing to date to me. Living in an apartment here, and I can crank my 150 watt Triple Rec at least moving some air with a 4x12.

When I first heard the attenuator and the speaker working together I had this a-ha moment of ok this is the sound I want, I didn't have that with the Torpedo, but I was expecting it to be the best thing ever, it kind of let me down. I don't think you should be dealing with any sort of conversion stages directly after the amp. It's just a weird concept to me.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Check out Pete thorne's youtube videos on impulse responses... He's a suhr endorsee but his examples to compare a real mic'd cab vs an impulse capture from the same setup is easily replicated for anybody who is curious.

To me, assuming a reactive box is used, impulse responses "feels" exactly like what it's like to play through a rig where the cab is in another room and the player is hearing himself through cans. It's similar to using a quality amp sim/Kemper in that regard to me and my moderately sized crew of gtr/bass player session guys. Some guys cannot work like this, though. They need to feel that air smacking them in the chest... Particularly guys that are not overly comfortable in a studio setting versus playing live.

To me this sort of thing is like a adopting a kitty from a nice home vs a wild, ferile alleycat.
Old 3rd January 2018
Quote:
Check out Pete thorne's youtube videos on impulse responses... He's a suhr endorsee but his examples to compare a real mic'd cab vs an impulse capture from the same setup is easily replicated for anybody who is curious.

To me, assuming a reactive box is used, impulse responses "feels" exactly like what it's like to play through a rig where the cab is in another room and the player is hearing himself through cans. It's similar to using a quality amp sim/Kemper in that regard to me and my moderately sized crew of gtr/bass player session guys. Some guys cannot work like this, though. They need to feel that air smacking them in the chest... Particularly guys that are not overly comfortable in a studio setting versus playing live.

To me this sort of thing is like a adopting a kitty from a nice home vs a wild, ferile alleycat.
Pete's amazing guitar tones have initially led me to check out reactive load boxes. That guy definitely knows guitar tone!

I've tried recording with a reactive load and Two Notes Wall Of Sound plugin, so I know what it sounds like. I was just wondering about the differences in sound between these two pieces in particular.
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Suhr got gifted to a buddy for Xmas!
Can we be friends? haha.

Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Hey does anyone know if you can use any of these load boxes for a power amp preamp type set up? Like a rack system with those big old vht or boogie power amps?
Those things are stereo and I think they're like 100 watts or so per side.
So I guess if I wanted to record in stereo, are any of these load boxes stereo? The ones I've seen are mono or wattage is only to 120.

Thanks.
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.S.P. View Post
Can we be friends? haha.

Ha! Sure!

But, that same buddy perma-lent me his 90s ridiculous Lukather-like touring rig and a couple fender tube amps, so, my gift was a tiny gesture in comparison!
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

I'm setting up a writing/recording space in my attic, and looking for a quiet guitar recording setup, so I'm shopping loadboxes. I have two questions, one about the Captor and the other more general:

1) How loud is the fan in the Captor? Would it be loud enough to be a distraction in a silent recording setup, i.e. if I'm monitoring the guitar input through the interface at normal playback levels?

2) If you're monitoring a loadbox through cabinet emulation IRs, are you finding that latency is an issue for you at all?

Thanks!
Old 8th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I'm setting up a writing/recording space in my attic, and looking for a quiet guitar recording setup, so I'm shopping loadboxes. I have two questions, one about the Captor and the other more general:

1) How loud is the fan in the Captor? Would it be loud enough to be a distraction in a silent recording setup, i.e. if I'm monitoring the guitar input through the interface at normal playback levels?

2) If you're monitoring a loadbox through cabinet emulation IRs, are you finding that latency is an issue for you at all?

Thanks!
No problems with the fan or latency with my setup.
πŸ“ Reply