The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo chorus pedal with a non-metallic sound? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Stereo chorus pedal with a non-metallic sound?

I have an Ibanez CS-9 Stereo chorus pedal that I run out of the FX loop of one amp, and split the two stereo outs to the returns of that amp's and another amp's FX loop IN. This gives me that 'true' stereo sound on stage.

The problem is that the CS-9 colors the guitar with a metallic sound which I do not like.

Is this an analog/digital pedal issue? Would a digital stereo chorus pedal avoid this?

Note, I set the SPEED and WIDTH controls all the way off because I only need the pedal to add that '3D dimension' on stage - rather than the typical chorus effect.

Recommend me a pedal that does not color your sound.

Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdd View Post
I have an Ibanez CS-9 Stereo chorus pedal that I run out of the FX loop of one amp, and split the two stereo outs to the returns of that amp's and another amp's FX loop IN. This gives me that 'true' stereo sound on stage.

The problem is that the CS-9 colors the guitar with a metallic sound which I do not like.

Is this an analog/digital pedal issue? Would a digital stereo chorus pedal avoid this?

Note, I set the SPEED and WIDTH controls all the way off because I only need the pedal to add that '3D dimension' on stage - rather than the typical chorus effect.

Recommend me a pedal that does not color your sound.

Thanks.
My favorite guitarist in the state of Oregon, with killer tone for days, plays a wet/dry live rig using the Red Witch Medusa to distribute to his two amps. Red Witch Pedals- collection
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Thanks for the reply,
I just found the TC Mimiq pedal and it's exactly what I need. Bought one on eBay and it's on the way!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdd View Post
Thanks for the reply,
I just found the TC Mimiq pedal and it's exactly what I need. Bought one on eBay and it's on the way!
Cool pedal! I just now bought one. Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
The Fromel Seraph Deluxe (based on the Roland and Boss Dimension choruses of the 80's) has recently been reissued. Sounds glorious in stereo, and definitely not metallic in any way.

Seraph Deluxe – Fromel Electronics

Here's my baby:

Old 1 week ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdd View Post
Thanks for the reply,
I just found the TC Mimiq pedal and it's exactly what I need. Bought one on eBay and it's on the way!
How do you like it so far? I’m also in the market for some stereo analog modulation pedals. I prefer digital delays and reverb, but there is something missing with digital chorus/phaser/flanger.

I’m looking hard at that big yellow MXR stereo chorus and TC Electronic SCF or Corona. Anyone ever use the EH polychorus pedal?
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

The least metal I have is a Dimension C.

Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
How do you like it so far? I’m also in the market for some stereo analog modulation pedals. I prefer digital delays and reverb, but there is something missing with digital chorus/phaser/flanger.

I’m looking hard at that big yellow MXR stereo chorus and TC Electronic SCF or Corona. Anyone ever use the EH polychorus pedal?
The TC Mimiq is great. I only wanted to add stereo dimension on stage using two amps and this does it nicely with no coloration. Of course, there's no chorusing to the sound but I'll have that from the Ibanez chorus pedal on my board.

The ADT effect of the Mimiq is something I may or may not use, it may come in handy - we'll see. The effect is not easy to spot with the 'Dubs' switch on 1 and the 'Tightness' knob set low. But it's there and could add good things on stage in a 3 piece band, which is what I'm shooting for.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
I'm not sure if by "metallic" you mean bright and clangy or "pertaining to heavy metal" but in either case I can recommend TC's Dreamscape chorus/flanger. One benefit is that it has downloadable profiles available from the sublime to the ridiculous.

See about it here --- TC Dreamscape ---
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Not heavy metal. Bright yes, clangy possibly, but if you can imagine the word 'metallic' to describe the taste in your mouth after certain drugs are given, this is the perfect audio equivalent.

No matter, I have the TC Mimiq now and it does the job with no added frequencies.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 

This Mimiq thing needs to be mimiq'ed in the plug in world

(yeah yeah, I sure there is some trick, but frack that, I want the plug!)

Old 1 week ago
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
You're right. A plugin would be nice.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Addict
 
Zoobiedood's Avatar
 

I love those Dimension pedals. You get a chorus without a ton of modulation, really one of my favorite chorus sounds. Lots of companies are making good analog choruses these days, which are quiet and don't have that metallic sheen to them.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

The one parameter that's critical is the Wet / Dry mix. Many Modulation pedals don't have that and even if the effect is perfectly voiced - if it's too strong or too weak, it will sound off. The Mimic does have it. I sold a Dimension C just because I couldn't get the modulation level correct to my ears. The Chorus effect on my Re-501 is another example. Wonderful sounding chorus - but just too damn strong. Same thing with my ADA Flanger.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Check out something like the Fromel Seraph Deluxe then, Dimension chorus with a Wet/Dry control.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Addict
Back in the day I had the standard Boss CH-1. I found it a little 'gloopy'. Sold it and a few years later picked up the Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5. I thought it would be an improvement but it wasn't - I found it had the metalic sound you mention. I rebought a CH-1 and realised I liked it all along, just has to be dialled in for subtle effect. If I was feeling flush I'd shell out for the newer Boss Waza Craft CE-2W.

I don't only buy / use Boss, but they're the only chorus pedals I've owned.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Retro-Sonic. It does sound pretty wavy and 70s, though. Excellent sound quality.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Just an FTR for anyone not already in the know about it, a very good channel on YouTube for all things pedal-y and a bit more is That pedal Show. They do some of the best in-depth coverage and shootouts I've seen and a major plus is that it is very well mic'd and produced.

Example - - - Compare Real Leslie with Rotation Pedals in Stereo - --.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Just an FTR for anyone not already in the know about it, a very good channel on YouTube for all things pedal-y and a bit more is That pedal Show. They do some of the best in-depth coverage and shootouts I've seen and a major plus is that it is very well mic'd and produced.

Example - - - Compare Real Leslie with Rotation Pedals in Stereo - --.
Excellent! Just put link to this on my desktop.
Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdd View Post
Excellent! Just put link to this on my desktop.
Thanks.
You're very welcome. There are so many good videos on that channel that will keep you entertained and informed on a wide variety of subjects but all Guitar.

There are at least 2 videos that are extremely eye (or ear) opening featuring Analogman, one in which they visit his "factory" and you get to see every vintage dream pedal you've even ever heard of and another that is quite mind blowing on his Germanium vs/ Silicon fuzzes
- hugely interesting.

One recent one I stumbled into explores the amazing results possible both natural tone-wise and with effects from running 2 amps. Even this ol' dog learned a few new tricks. Extremely well demonstrated!



I bet that one has surprises for almost everyone here, newbie and veteran alike.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
One recent one I stumbled into explores the amazing results possible both natural tone-wise and with effects from running 2 amps. Even this ol' dog learned a few new tricks. Extremely well demonstrated!

I bet that one has surprises for almost everyone here, newbie and veteran alike.
COOL! I just save that video to my HD.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump