The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which guitar to contrast with Telecaster? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Which guitar to contrast with Telecaster?

Hi,

I am looking for an electric to provide a different contrasting sound to my Telecaster - ie. humbuckers, thick tone, long sustain etc. I am a studio musician so using my guitars DI'd into amp sims. Budget around £1k but less if poss!

I had in mind a Les Paul studio, but tried a Gretsch Pro Jet the other day and quite like it.

I would appreciate any suggestions for other good guitars in the £400-£1000 range which really offer something different to a Tele, thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Both an LP and a Gretsch are light years away from a Tele in sound, so pick which guitar you like best (not just sound, but playability, too). An LP is thicker sounding than a Gretsch, though, and is certainly the more-recorded sound.
Old 2 weeks ago

An ES-330T is a very different animal....

-tINY

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Old 2 weeks ago
RTR
Lives for gear

I just bought a fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe, i wanted to have some P90s, sounds NOTHING like a tele and works out well when mixed in with my other LP's, teles, and strats
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bought my first Tele in 1973. I already had a Les Paul and used bother together for years.
Back then you didn't have allot of effects pedals so you simply cranked the amp up to get drive tones. The tele didn't drive the amp into saturation like the Paul did with its humbuckers.

I still own a Paul and Tele plus many others. I'd still have no problem gigging with the two of them but it does cause problems when running effects pedals because the pickups in each are different so I have to tweak settings when switching between them.

Most Fenders sound very similar. If you want something to complement the fender tone the doors are wide open with possibilities.
Allot of people buy instruments based on looks or tone and forget about the most important item which is a great neck and playability.

Most people who hear you play out wouldn't know good instrument tone from a hole in the ground but they can tell the difference between someone missing and choking on notes when they cant get to them compared to someone who can flay up and down the neck. Of course if you buy on line its not like you can try an instrument out before buying it, but you can try guitars out in a store then shop for price. Most instruments I buy I tweak them to match my playing style but being able to grip the neck and check the tones can be very helpful when narrowing down the possibilities. Last thing I wasn't to do is get stuck with some fat boat neck which is tough to get around on. I can always upgrade the electronics so long as the neck and body are excellent.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Strat, tele and either a LP or a 335 will do 90% of anything you need.

I wound up with a Tele, a Strat (well two actually) a 335 and a cheapo PRS with P90s and a G&L ASAT with the MFD pickups

If I had to limit myself it would be one of my strats and the 335 with the ASAT coming in a close 3rd. But there again I dont use a lot of driven guitar sounds.
More important for me is what amps you choose.

I have a wide panel tweed deluxe clone and H&Ks take on an AC15, the small Statesman.
Don't like Marshalls at al,l so those two cover everything I need.

However - lately I have started wishing my Dano 56 baritone was the guitar version. Some great sounds that arent anything like fender or gibson.
Oh dear.... GAS at age 73 is not a good idea, is it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Perhaps your doctor can help? Watch your diet, take Alka-Seltzer, stuff like that?

Or just fart and to hell with it - old people often get a pass...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
However - lately I have started wishing my Dano 56 baritone was the guitar version. Some great sounds that arent anything like fender or gibson.

...which reminds me....

The wooden-saddle model Danelectro models (like the Dead On 67), have a very contrasting sound to a tele too.

-tINY

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Used Rickenbacker.
Old 2 weeks ago
A good semi-hollow body with humbuckers or P90's will give you a much different tone. And they are always a blast to play.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

For a more beefy sound I think a Les Paul is a great choice
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'd say get a hollow body with some nice jazz flatwounds. Sounds amazing in stereo with the Tele.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Ibanez AM93. Very versatile. $650

Last edited by Macky; 2 weeks ago at 07:06 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ibanez Jem. What the heck, you said you wanted "different"...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's almost a cliché to have a Telecaster and a Les Paul as your two main axes for a rock guitarist...but the reason it's a cliché is because of how many iconic rock guitar sounds originated with one of those two instruments. Accept no substitutes. Resistance is futile. Get a LP.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Almost anything, really..the Tele is still a pretty unique sounding guitar..put it next to a Strat..different..Tele's, in a sense, can create instant contrast with 'almost' anything.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you're looking for something with a good pallet of sounds that is completely different to the Telecaster then I think you can't really go wrong with a Burns Bison. It's a completely different animal (pun intended) than a Tele and with its 3 pickups and tone combinations you can really get a lot out of it. It's a real studio instrument as it is so very versatile. I know it isn't one of the obvious choices but check one out if you can.
Old 1 week ago
but seriously....

Es 345/355 with the Varitone? Les Paul Special with P-90s on the slab body? Byrdland? Gretsch Country Gentleman?

Old Gibson J-200 acoustic? Trigger?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

To this question there is only ONE answer!

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Any solid body with HH or HSH configuration. If you're going for stark contrast go with a Jem, Universe, or S series. Could even go to PRS strat or single cut styles with HH.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Ibanez AM93. Very versatile. $650
This is my vote. Was really impressed by the one I played at GC. Looked kick ass too. Almost bought it, but I was in for a bass.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My bookends are the Telecaster and an SG. I don't get Les Pauls at all.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_ghost View Post
This is my vote. Was really impressed by the one I played at GC. Looked kick ass too. Almost bought it, but I was in for a bass.
How did you find the neck profile when you picked it up..can you recall?
The guy in the video didn't show the back of the guitar.
This is the neck, a 3 piece Mahogany and Maple..i think.
Its not a regular "C" profile, i know that.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
How did you find the neck profile when you picked it up..can you recall?
Well, it's nothing like a shredder Ibanez neck, that's for sure. It reminded more of a Gibson/Epiphone neck shape (sorry if that's vague). I didn't play it long enough to remember any nuances. But, it was comfortable to play. Fwiw, it's smaller than the Washburn semi-hollow (depth wise) I played after it. That had the biggest baseball bat neck I've ever played.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
To this question there is only ONE answer!

Nope, no contrast. Why, you could see right through it to the Tele sitting behind it!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

335 mixes quite well with a tele I think.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

(insert the guitar you use here)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
(insert the guitar you use here)
Tele.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search