The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are real drummers in the studio done? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are real drummers in the studio done?

What if real drummers in the studio are done? In a world where we're constantly looking to do things quicker and easier, would it be possible for drummers to have had their day?

There are benefits to having a drummer inside your laptop.

There are benefits to having drum kits inside your laptop.

How do we not know John Bonham or Keith Moon wouldn't have used what's available today?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

People were asking this late 70s early 80s. The answer was 'no' then and I think it remains so. No matter how advanced sampling and programming becomes, that 'human element' will always be unreachable by anything other than a drummer playing a kit; and it will, I think, always be desirable.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey you can go out on stage solo and do karaoke to canned music too if you think that draws an audience.

Personally I'd take a decent drummer over a perfectly groomed loop any day of the week. I get inspired playing along with a real drummer. you learn to do things you'd never think of doing unless you have worked with real drummers too. can you get your drum loop to speed up, slow down, increase dynamics, break, or fill just by looking ait it, I give you credit. Those are the kinds of things you do over time by working with real drummers. You become a working team who reacts together. maybe not always perfectly but that's what keeps you sharp.

Its no different then going to see a ball team. If you think people are going to come out just to watch a quarterback rin around on the field by himdelf either on video or live, all the power too you. For me I'd rather see the hole team and hear the whole team when I'm listening to a recordings. I like that human element where small flaws exist. I can plug in a drum machine and listen to a monotonous flawless beat anytime. I surely don't get inspired by it much but we deal with those evils when we have few choices available.

I'd also say anyone who prefers canned drums likely hasn't played in many bands or possibly couldn't cut the mustard when they did. Drummers tend to be the glue which unites a band. Without them, its karaoke and amateur.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Hey you can go out on stage solo and do karaoke to canned music too if you think that draws an audience.

Personally I'd take a decent drummer over a perfectly groomed loop any day of the week. I get inspired playing along with a real drummer. you learn to do things you'd never think of doing unless you have worked with real drummers too. can you get your drum loop to speed up, slow down, increase dynamics, break, or fill just by looking ait it, I give you credit. Those are the kinds of things you do over time by working with real drummers. You become a working team who reacts together. maybe not always perfectly but that's what keeps you sharp.

Its no different then going to see a ball team. If you think people are going to come out just to watch a quarterback rin around on the field by himdelf either on video or live, all the power too you. For me I'd rather see the hole team and hear the whole team when I'm listening to a recordings. I like that human element where small flaws exist. I can plug in a drum machine and listen to a monotonous flawless beat anytime. I surely don't get inspired by it much but we deal with those evils when we have few choices available.

I'd also say anyone who prefers canned drums likely hasn't played in many bands or possibly couldn't cut the mustard when they did. Drummers tend to be the glue which unites a band. Without them, its karaoke and amateur.
That's why I wrote 'in the studio....'
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Depends on the style of music I guess
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It'll never happen. Now, if you said "in the studio" like real studios, then you'd be onto something. But then the "studio" is vanishing faster than good manners
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Neither a drummer nor a drum kit can fit inside a laptop. It's very small and dark inside there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
What if real drummers in the studio are done? In a world where we're constantly looking to do things quicker and easier, would it be possible for drummers to have had their day?

How do we not know John Bonham or Keith Moon wouldn't have used what's available today?
Still recording plenty of real drums. The feel is hard to replicate. Also the synergy between different parts of the kit is almost impossible to replicate unless you use pre-recorded loop. Loops are more time consuming to manipulate to suit the song. Please don't start an argument that you can do everything with a pre-recorded loop.
Having said that many styles are based on manipulated loops or midi-ed up tracks. Also many replace individual drum sounds with samples. Everything has its place
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
The feel is hard to replicate.
No, it's impossible to replicate. Can you come close? Debatable.

I don't have access to one, and even if I was a great drummer (which I'm not ) I have no way to set up/record one.

I use ezdrummer because it sounds serviceable for which I do here in my house. But even though I use my drum machines (and that is all they are) a lot, they are never going to be real drums.

EDIT: The average listener doesn't know or care btw.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
No, it's impossible to replicate. Can you come close? Debatable.

I don't have access to one, and even if I was a great drummer (which I'm not ) I have no way to set up/record one.

I use ezdrummer because it sounds serviceable for which I do here in my house. But even though I use my drum machines (and that is all they are) a lot, they are never going to be real drums.

EDIT: The average listener doesn't know or care btw.
The average listener will care if the feel is not there and the song consecutively doesn't sound right. If you can achieve that in the box then all's good
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Not to be contrary, but I've NEVER heard an 8-12 layer kit (BFD/SD/ETC) have the feel of a real kit.

This is not about me trying to show you up, it's just honest feedback (I already said I use those, it's the best I can do)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

As a non-drummer, I don't really have much stake in this discussion. I've always been a fan of what can be done with programming, and the technology has continued to improve. Though so far, there is no technology that can 100% faithfully recreate the sound and feel of a drummer, and chances are greater than 0% that there never wilI be. However, I think there are genres for which this matters more than others. The core of rock's sound tends to be half about guitars and the other half drums. Take one element away and it isn't the same. Rock is also probably where you'll find the greatest number of conservative-minded musicians with the view that everything should be done the way it was done 50 years ago. Technology just strips music of its soul, man. Kidding aside, I think as long as rock is still around (and I think it's still got a few years left to go), there will still be a demand for drummers. Most rock bands have their own drummer anyway...poor guy's gonna start resenting his band mates if they don't give him something to play on the record. Lol
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Definitely totally different. I have EZdrummer2 Superior and SSD4.
I also have an acoustic custom Canwood Canadian rock maple kit and an 80's Premier kit.
I use them all but there is no comparison in the drum track texture. Nothing sounds better than a real kit when your having a good playing day.
And when you play live...well.
Custom drums, tube amps and guitars will be back and back and back because its really not boring.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm am NOT the world "foremost" musician. I do not want to come across as some "holier that though" ******, I'm saying that "I" can hear the difference. And I'm not the only one.

That DOES NOT MEAN that something EZD2 or BFD sound ****ty. No, I'm not saying that, please don't accuse me of that. They sound great. I'm just saying (maybe because I'm a bass player at heart) that I can certainly fell the difference.

I love quantization, but a really good drummer, you can't beat that with a stick.

I feel this going badly, but I can only give my experience.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Man if someone can convince me, I want to believe. I'm still relying on people and boy do they ever suck sometimes. I've never heard a virtual instrument sound like the real thing but if I ever did I would be getting into that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Correct. It's not like "virtual drums" suck. They most certainly don't, but it's still an electronic feel no matter how much "humanization" they do.

I'm over anal-lysing. Just ****ing make music
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Shouldn't that be in a drum forum? Is there a drum forum? Ah well, who cares :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It reminds me of my "all frequencies sound the same!!!" fun thread that got deleted by the mods. A drummer is not just sounds coming one after the other. A virtual drummer is no more than that. It's a "i settle for less, because" (which still can lead to good music). It's like "as if an engineer was just somebody with gear" when in real life it's about critical judgement, creative solutions, solid knowledge, knowing what will work in the bigger picture, etc.etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shouldn't that be in a drum forum? Is there a drum forum? Ah well, who cares :-)
That would be the last place to question if drummers in the studio are redundant! Can you imagine asking that question about guitarists here :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
People were asking this late 70s early 80s. The answer was 'no' then and I think it remains so. No matter how advanced sampling and programming becomes, that 'human element' will always be unreachable by anything other than a drummer playing a kit; and it will, I think, always be desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Depends on the style of music I guess

Quote:
Still recording plenty of real drums. The feel is hard to replicate. Also the synergy between different parts of the kit is almost impossible to replicate unless you use pre-recorded loop. Loops are more time consuming to manipulate to suit the song. Please don't start an argument that you can do everything with a pre-recorded loop.
Having said that many styles are based on manipulated loops or midi-ed up tracks. Also many replace individual drum sounds with samples. Everything has its place

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Not to be contrary, but I've NEVER heard an 8-12 layer kit (BFD/SD/ETC) have the feel of a real kit.

This is not about me trying to show you up, it's just honest feedback (I already said I use those, it's the best I can do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Definitely totally different. I have EZdrummer2 Superior and SSD4.
I also have an acoustic custom Canwood Canadian rock maple kit and an 80's Premier kit.
I use them all but there is no comparison in the drum track texture. Nothing sounds better than a real kit when your having a good playing day.
And when you play live...well.
Custom drums, tube amps and guitars will be back and back and back because its really not boring.
To add, if live drum recordings are being quantised, more so in some genres than others, is the programmed software drummer more likely to get closer to a manipulated and edited drum recording? Do you think in that situation most people could pick out the 'real' recording?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Only if the studio doesn't know how to get a drum sound that rivals a software instrument. So few "professional" studios do. It's gotten to the point where metal drummers think programmed drums are their only option, even really talented drummers too. It took me ten years to figure out the techniques and acquire the tools I needed to get the sound I'm after. Now my real drums sound tighter, clearer and punchier than any soft-synth or electronic drum set controller.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
On the face of it, I like live performers. Yet.

I'm also a huge fan of JJ Cale. JJ is famous/infamous for using a drum machine on his first album and I really like his first album, Naturally.

Its not that I don't like rhythm. Tapping my foot, LOUDLY, is a fundamental part of my sound. I guess the problem is that drummers don't generally like to play nice with other band members. The last thing I need is a prima donna drummer who plays too loud and can't keep time anyway.

Drum machines do what they are asked to do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post

What if real guitarists in the studio are done? In a world where we're constantly looking to do things quicker and easier, would it be possible for guitarists to have had their day?

There are benefits to having a guitarist inside your laptop.

There are benefits to having guitars and rigs inside your laptop.

How do we not know Jimi Hendrix or Keith Richards wouldn't have used what's available today?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
I guess the problem is that drummers don't generally like to play nice with other band members. The last thing I need is a prima donna drummer who plays too loud and can't keep time anyway.
******SWEEPING GENERALISATION ALERT!!!*****
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Drum machines do what they are asked to do.
...and they don't spontaneously blow up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
******SWEEPING GENERALISATION ALERT!!!*****
What's life without a sweeping generalisation. Or 3.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's life without a sweeping generalisation. Or 3.
Life with three less sweeping generalizations.

Not that you can eradicate all of them - they're pesky little suckers...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This thread should be rephrased “are real studios doomed if drummers go out of style?” For bands without a huge budget, the real studio might only get booked just to track drums in and go back to the home/project studio for everyone else.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
There are great things that happen when a good bass player and a good drummer are in the same room, and that will never be replaced by a machine.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The answer to the original question is, no, most certainly not. Sure maybe for some genres where feel and groove are less important or where the drums are expected to be inhumanly and perfectly snapped to a grid. But then those genres have always been that way. But for anything organic sounding, the drummer is still most certainly needed. That should be obvious to anyone who listens to and/or records organic music.

I think some people ask questions like these in hopes of receiving confirmation from others that their drum sequencer really IS just as good as a real drummer in all cases.

Granted, it's certainly cheaper and easier to not have to record drums. But then greatness and laziness tend not to be bedfellows.
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search