The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Sire MM V7 Vintage VS Fender Squier, MIM, MIJ
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear
Sire MM V7 Vintage VS Fender Squier, MIM, MIJ

Not a bass player but picking one up for my demos. I was thinking about getting a Sire Marcus Miller V7 Vintage 4 String ( alder/ maple neck Lefty $629.00 new)

Any pros / cons compared with these other Fender Jazz basses? Anything to avoid or be aware of?

thanks
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

By far the Sire. A lot of experienced player use and love them. You won't be disappointed.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear
Thanks, ended up pre-ordering one.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

I just noticed you are a lefty like me. There are several lefty bassists who own some Sire on the forum leftybassist.com. You can read their reviews.

Last edited by numero6; 21st October 2017 at 02:10 AM..
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear
nice, thanks for the link
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Be super careful when people tell you that the Sire's are "way better" than the Squier VM models. A lot of people are thinking of the Squier Affinity series, not the Indonesian VM line.

I bought a Squier VM Jazz Bass after playing a MIM Fender and a Sire V7 (didn't care for the preamp, mostly interested in the tone).

The Sire pickups to me sounded dark in comparison to the ones on the Squier (the newer models have Fender pups, not Duncans like they used to about 4 yrs ago). The feel of the Squier blew me away too, very close to the MIM Fenders.

Ideally, play them both for yourself and get the one you like the most (just please don't listen to the "Squiers suck" people 'cus they're probably talking about the Affinity line).

Also, you can drop in the same Fender Noiseless pickups that come in the much more expensive MIA Fenders if you want on the Squier VMs without modifications, not sure if you can do that with the Sire basses. Same goes for bridges and necks too, if you ever want to upgrade those parts. I'm getting the Fender Noiseless 4's for mine next year.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Head

Just jumping in to say that the new Sire 2nd generation are even better! I got a v7 5 string and love that thing!
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

This thread is almost 2 hrs old, I wonder if the OP is satisfied with the Sire.
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
Be super careful when people tell you that the Sire's are "way better" than the Squier VM models. A lot of people are thinking of the Squier Affinity series, not the Indonesian VM line.

I bought a Squier VM Jazz Bass after playing a MIM Fender and a Sire V7 (didn't care for the preamp, mostly interested in the tone).

The Sire pickups to me sounded dark in comparison to the ones on the Squier (the newer models have Fender pups, not Duncans like they used to about 4 yrs ago). The feel of the Squier blew me away too, very close to the MIM Fenders.

Ideally, play them both for yourself and get the one you like the most (just please don't listen to the "Squiers suck" people 'cus they're probably talking about the Affinity line).

Also, you can drop in the same Fender Noiseless pickups that come in the much more expensive MIA Fenders if you want on the Squier VMs without modifications, not sure if you can do that with the Sire basses. Same goes for bridges and necks too, if you ever want to upgrade those parts. I'm getting the Fender Noiseless 4's for mine next year.

100% agree! I bought a Squier Affinity but then returned it and bought the VM5 instead. Here's a video of it in action (sorry not a bassist):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzWp8v0Hh5w/
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search