The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tuning to Eb
Old 10th October 2019
I'm never a fan of tuning down, it's one thing to drop the low E to D, but I always found when I tuned to Eb that it messed with my head too much. An alternate tuning is one thing, down a half step is a pita. When I had to do it, I set up a guitar with heavier strings. What's really dumb is when guitar players talk as if they're tuned to concert so they're calling Eb E, people who play other instruments really like that.
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmsmith81 View Post
Tuning down does seem very common. I used to do it all the time personally. And I know for another example, that pretty much all Guns N' Roses records were done with the tuning down a semi-tone.
Common for rock, maybe (and not all that common in my experience). I doubt many jazzers tune down.
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Common for rock, maybe (and not all that common in my experience). I doubt many jazzers tune down.
Feels like playing spaghetti to me.
Old 11th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
No reason to tune down, often they're playing with a piano player and horns, it would be silly to be tuned down, now some jazzers would have a seven string guitars some might play in an altered tuning but tuning down is definitely a rock thing, Robert Fripp from King Crimson developed an alternate tuning but it's not a tuned down a half step or whole step, it's a totally different tuning.

Last edited by Musiclab; 15th October 2019 at 09:09 PM..
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
No reason to tune down, often they're playing with a piano player and horns, it would be silly to be tuned , now some jazzers would have a seven string guitars some might play in an altered tuning but tuning down is definitely a rock thing, Robert Fripp from King Crimson developed an alternate tuning but it's not a tuned down a half step or whole step, it's a totally different tuning.
iirc, I think all Fripp did was tune all the strings in ascending fourths or fifths, right? You're talking about the Guitar craft stuff, I think.

I dunno, for some reason it never really caught on. : )
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
iirc, I think all Fripp did was tune all the strings in ascending fourths or fifths, right? You're talking about the Guitar craft stuff, I think.

It certainly works for him though! Being able to easily change the tuning is one of the great advantages of the guitar, I'd say the guitar in general is a very flexible isntrument - how you can use all fingers or a pick or percussive effects, etc. Or you may stay in regular tuning and still have a lifetime's worth of stuff to explore.

A while ago I wrote a tune on acoustic where I couldn't keep a low G bass going on certain parts. It finally dawned on me that I can not only use Drop-D but also tune the A-String to G. Problem solved - and I found out that this tuning was a particular favorite of Chet Atkins.

All this stuff as well as all the available effects/sonic treatments makes me think that all the reports of 'guitar is dead' are vastly exaggerated. Maybe 'rock' ist dead - depending on your definition of a genre which IMO was always great when it wasn't pure 'rock' but took from other genres like Gospel, Blues, Reggae, etc

There are a million possibilities out there to explore, tunings are just one small part of that.
Old 14th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post

The top low string is tuned to down to C and then it's all fourths up until the hi E which is tuned to G. On the current Crimson tour he needs Jacko to play in the court of the crimson king. I think it's safe to say that it didn't catch on because who really wants to completely rethink how they play. Fripp is to say the least an odd brilliant guy I met him doing a Frippertronics show at The Kitchen in NYC and asked him if he ever thought teaching, and without missing a beat he said yes in 2 years in Virginia, which he did with guitar craft. Around then I still couldn't get over him disbanding the Larks-Red version of KC
Old 15th October 2019
Old 18th October 2019
Here for the gear

I used to hate Eb tuning growing up, but that was mainly because I dreaded having to try to tune my Floyd Rose equipped Ibanez down I solved that by not playing floating bridge guitars anymore

One of my favorite tunings now is Drop C#. I mainly play baritones tuned to Standard C/Drop A#, though. In the last couple of years I've been experimenting with writing songs where I use those tunings as a start point, but then I'll tune one or two strings down/up to get some weird alternate tunings.

If you're worried about having to bring multiple guitars to gigs you can always get a Digitech Drop Pedal. I got one about a year and a half ago and absolutely love it. It doesn't help me with the weird alternate tuning songs, though since it tunes all the strings down at once.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

If it works for Hendrix and Slayer then I think nuff said...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Disclaimer: I didn't read all five pages of this thread...

I currently have two guitars fairly permanently tuned to Eb; one is a Johnny Marr Jag that I have strung up with flats. It sounds and feels so different to another Jag I have. And the other is a '39 Gibson L-00. For some reason it took a long time to bond with that guitar but when I switched to Martin Monel strings and tuned it down *boom*, there it was. I think some guitars sound and play great when tuned down, it seems to 'suit' them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search