The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is comping?
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear
What is comping?

I heae this word used a lot, in many different ways
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear
It just means editing the best parts together.

If your vocalist sings the same verse 5 times, you go in and take the best bits from each take and make ""comp, a really good "compilation" of the best parts.
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear
Comping is basically short for compilation. Creating one track from the best part/s of multiple takes.
Old 4th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
I heae this word used a lot, in many different ways
Short for "compiling." Usually used to refer to the practice of compiling a vocal performance from several individual takes: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/vocal-comping
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

This is what comes to mind when I hear the word comping when related to guitars (this is the guitars section, right?)

A great example starts at 42:06 on the HE video, along with the tutorial after that playing example.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 4th September 2017 at 03:18 AM..
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear
I think thats where my confusion comes from

The word seems to have two meanings in music, one related to guitar playing, the other studio editing
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
This is what comes to mind when I hear the word comping when related to guitars (this is the guitars section, right?)

A great example starts at 42:06 on the HE video, along with the tutorial after that playing example.
Hahahah.....Yes, that too.

Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

So, in the guitar sense (usually in a jazz context) it's short for 'accompanying' - i.e. chunking out chords over which the solo instrument improvises. In the studio context, as others have said, it's compiling, or putting together a compilation track made up of a number of sections chopped out of different takes of the same piece. Many great guitar solos were created this way (yes, it was done on the days of tape as well), and from personal experience, you then have to go back an 'learn' the new comped version if you want to play it live [Edit - as Joe has just said above].
Old 4th September 2017
Deleted 691ca21
Yep, in guitar playing or Jazz it means playing the rhythm/chord backing, accompanying, as stated above. People often start with the classic blues progression.
Old 4th September 2017
Gear Guru

In Vegas it means yet another thing.

As for Definition 2, here's some of the best you'll ever hear. No idea who it is.

Old 5th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
I think thats where my confusion comes from

The word seems to have two meanings in music, one related to guitar playing, the other studio editing
Yes.

There's the "musician usage" (accompanying) and the "engineer/producer usage" (compiling).

Oh, yes, and the Vegas/Music biz usage..... (complimentary, as in tickets or drinks.)
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In Vegas it means yet another thing.

As for Definition 2, here's some of the best you'll ever hear. No idea who it is.

I love this song and arrangement, but I'm not sure how it qualifies as a good example of comping. Please elaborate.
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-money View Post
I love this song and arrangement, but I'm not sure how it qualifies as a good example of comping. Please elaborate.
Listen to the rhythm guitar accompaniment. This guy nails it down as solidly as anyone ever has. While swinging like crazy and allowing Bing to let his phrasing wander, as my good friend likes to say, "all over Hell and half of Georgia." It's humble, background genius.
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Listen to the rhythm guitar accompaniment. This guy nails it down as solidly as anyone ever has. While swinging like crazy and allowing Bing to let his phrasing wander, as my good friend likes to say, "all over Hell and half of Georgia." It's humble, background genius.
Thanks, I'll give it a closer listen. I'm planning to do a recording of Mele Kalikimaka this winter where I will likely be playing the rhythm guitar.
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yes.

There's the "musician usage" (accompanying) and the "engineer/producer usage" (compiling).

Oh, yes, and the Vegas/Music biz usage..... (complimentary, as in tickets or drinks.)

With respect to recording/engineering, it is not "compiling", it is "compositing".
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post
With respect to recording/engineering, it is not "compiling", it is "compositing".
With some of the folks I work with, it's more like composting.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post
Symantics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search