The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gibson releases Les Paul with BUILT IN OVERDRIVE PEDAL
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is even worse than the robot tuner idea!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
That's the point - we all need different things. And it's not easy to modify guitars. I think good guitar builders and repairers are becoming rare. And those who are good craftsment with wood might be freaked out by electronics. With no standards in place, it's a nightmare getting stuff that works.
I personally could quite do without attempting to accommodate our different needs by making everything the same...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
It is, but that's partly because I don't think self-tuning guitars are a bad idea at all. It wasn't executed well but it was a good thought.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I think its great and more guitars should do it.i would love a delay built right in with tap tempo and mix and feedback knobs on the guitar.
Right on, no hate here. Is it something you would pay $5k for?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
LOL

I bought a Less+ Les Paul because I always wanted a Les Paul but hated the weight of them as a Strat player.

Anyway I love my Less+ it really great to play, but it came with this "hi-tech" robot tuner thing instead of normal tuning pegs.

I thought no problem I'll remove it and replace with with the standard Grover tuning pegs.

But to my total surprise the G-Force tuning system really works brilliantly, I thought it would be a stupid gimmick but it's great and so cool for quick changes between alt tuning's.

I might take it off one day - but so far I've been pleasantly surprised at just how well it works and how useful it is so I've left it on.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokentenor View Post
Right on, no hate here. Is it something you would pay $5k for?
Lol god no! I wouldn't 5k for any les paul. For that price a luthier would have to handcraft my guitar.
Old 1 week ago
If Gibson can reduce bodyweight without losing tone and fill that space with gizmos (without losing tone) then that might be a good performance/creative option; that said, if I were to buy a Les Paul I would look/listen towards tradition, which IMO is Gibson's prime appeal.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I think its great and more guitars should do it.i would love a delay built right in with tap tempo and mix and feedback knobs on the guitar.
It's a stupid idea for a couple of reasons, first of which is that no two guitar players would be likely to want the same configuration, second of which is that getting all the different companies to co-operate is almost certainly somewhat delusional, and third of which is that you DON'T want a bunch of multipin connectors in an instrument that gets beat on on a nightly basis. The service problem alone is insurmountable. Unless you happen to like relentless but intermittent crackles and pops - which you can't get rid of simply by bypassing one pedal.

It's nice to dream, though. And if you really want a delay with tap tempo, mix, and feedback right on your guitar, be like Devo and break out the duct tape.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

It could have been made as a new instrument in it's own right if they went into the effort of creating it that way, as in every part of the sound had it's own musicality that felt fresh, instead of going for the "hey you don't need a pedal for this one" deal which is an old and terrible idea.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I believe there is a problem that requires solving ... the modern guitar player really needs to be wireless. But there are some pedals that interact directly with pickups and it would be very nice to have them onboard, prior to the transmitter.

But the problem is that there is a huge range of quality, price and personal taste involved in pedal selection. There are digital solutions, but at the moment I am much prefering analog stomp boxes. My pedal board constantly changes - but I frequently find my Diamond comp wants to be first in the chain (but not always). I also adore my Supro Boost. But it's very possible I may want my Sunface to be first in the chain ... it all depends.

This is why it is so much easier just to give up - plug in the transmitter - and use a Pod to process the sound for the closest possible match ... and being able to tweak every parameter from input impedance to a selection of eqs, filters, compressors etc it's amazing how close you can get ... even if you then send that signal to a tube amp. So probably an onboard digital solution is the way foreward - conversion being necessary for good digital wireless anyway - may as well make the most of it.

I have often wished that some manufacturer would develop an *open* standard (like MIDI) for a new range of electric guitar technology. Proprietory standards don't last long. But if makes can agree on a standard, then it opens up new markets for third parties to make botique stuff - and the big companies can offer affordable stuff and everybody wins.

As I see the future of electric guitar - this is what I would suggest needs to happen:

Must allow wireless options
Must allow hex options - access to each string (ideally via wireless)
Must be silent - designed with ultimate shielding right from the beginning
Must offer electric and acoustic options

I can imagine a modular system where a guitar builder would simply cut out a standard sized hole for a module that contains the pickps and switches, electronics and output jack or antenna. This would be a fully sealed metal box - completely self contained, fully shielded. So you could, for example, buy a "Les Paul" - and should you decide you want Strat tones, you could just unscew this one box and replace with with a Strat box.

With a standard design box, it could be like the stompbox market ... anyone could make a box that fits the standard dimensions, and people could easily customise their guitars or the electronics. With agreed dimensions and some open standards, stomp box builders could design circuit boards that would mount inside this assembly.

So imagine a world where I could buy a Les Paul from Gibson with this module on board - maybe it would come with a single PAF in the bridge and a single volume and 1/4" jack. Now imagine at any time I could remove the module, open it up and install a wireless transmitter circuit board (from my choice of supplier) and put it back into the guitar - and there would be a standard space already routed into the guitar where the antenna will sit.

Now imagine I could take it out again and purchase a Diamond Comp circuit board and insert this into the module - with standard snap in connectors and the board snaps into a standard sized slot or rail system.

Imagine that an industry is built around this standard system - so that guitar players could put together their choice of pickups, controls, FX - midi, guitar modeling, amp modeling ... whatever technology desired could be build into a standard system.

The idea of having everything in a standard shaped metal box is to keep it fully shielded and solve the hum problem forever.

I also see non-standard pickup options being possible ... optical pickups ... hex pickups ... piezo or contact or microphones ... sustainers ... feedback transducers ...

Basically, make the stomp box market available on-board ...

Could be interesting ... and I see wireless options as being not just for performance but also for recording. Imagine simply tracking each individual string of your guitar over wifi ... with no hum, and with the analog interaction of your very favorite pedals on board ...

I'm dreaming, obviously.
One man's dream is another man's hallucination on a bad trip.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

The problem is that guitar pedals are all s**t. Even the fancy boutique ones. Or at least, they are if they're not the ones I happen to want at the moment. I just can't imagine wanting to be tied to any one pedal at the head of the chain, all the time, forever, and also not be able to use it on any other guitar.

Maybe some kind of MIDI controller might be tolerable. But how many knobs does one really want on a guitar?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
The problem is that guitar pedals are all s**t. Even the fancy boutique ones. Or at least, they are if they're not the ones I happen to want at the moment. I just can't imagine wanting to be tied to any one pedal at the head of the chain, all the time, forever, and also not be able to use it on any other guitar.

Maybe some kind of MIDI controller might be tolerable. But how many knobs does one really want on a guitar?
What????

There are some spectacular pedals out there. Wampler Dual Fusion is off the freaking charts good, and thats just one example......Eventide H9, another one, I could keep naming some amazing pedals......
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What????

There are some spectacular pedals out there. Wampler Dual Fusion is off the freaking charts good, and thats just one example......Eventide H9, another one, I could keep naming some amazing pedals......
It was sarcasm; his point being guitar players can't even agree on what is and isn't sarcasm, much less which overdrive the want permantly installed in their 5k dollar les paul.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
It was sarcasm; his point being guitar players can't even agree on what is and isn't sarcasm, much less which overdrive the want permantly installed in their 5k dollar les paul.
Got it, my bad, I misunderstood.....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What????

Tried the Fusion, wanted to like, but sent it back. Not very good imo. (I took the Wampler Tweed '57, Plexi Drive & Pinnacle over the DF).

Oh well, next...

Tying a 4-digit $$$$ beautiful LP (CS too!) guitar to a 2-digit $$ commodity OD "pedal"?

Really?

I'd say Les is twitching... not quite rolling yet. But, the legacy was disturbed.

I think he'd put a 4-track recorder in his signature guitar before a cheesy OD pedal. Rhythm, layer, leads, yippee!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
It is, but that's partly because I don't think self-tuning guitars are a bad idea at all. It wasn't executed well but it was a good thought.
I actually agree with you there - I use up to three different tunings in my gigs, and my 2015 LP handles the changes pretty well... unless there's a lot of noise going on, which there often is, in which case it can take a couple of goes to get there. Also, you have to remember a rather confusing sequence of different button pushes to get where you want to go, but the basic principle - which avoids the punters having to stand around while I retune, or alternatively, avoids the need for me to have to carry three differently tuned guitar around - is sound.

It works for me, but then these days I only play in a covers band and have to be my own tech, so there you go. What really irks people is that Gibson chose to put them on every guitar from that year rather than offering them as an option.

I really cannot see what the point is in building an overdrive unit into a 5.5k guitar, though - that just seems spectacularly stupid.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

An OD pedal built into a Les Paul is like having a tattoo on your face. A tattoo of dirt.

"Hey, just to let you know, you've got some food on your face."
"Oh, that's not food. It's a tattoo."
"Really? I don't ... I'm sorry, but what is that? "
"It's dirt. It's supposed to look like dirt."

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Tying a 4-digit $$$$ beautiful LP (CS too!) guitar to a 2-digit $$ commodity OD "pedal"?

Really?

I'd say Les is twitching... not quite rolling yet. But, the legacy was disturbed.

I think he'd put a 4-track recorder in his signature guitar before a cheesy OD pedal. Rhythm, layer, leads, yippee!
Les would have loved it. Les would have stuck as many knobs and switches on the guitar that he could fit. He would have had a Magic Dingus on his guitar if Danny Gatton could have figured out how to make another.
Attached Thumbnails
Gibson releases Les Paul with BUILT IN OVERDRIVE PEDAL-dgmd.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

IF Les had combined his 2 great inventions, multitrack recording and the LP guitar - in this pretend future, he'd at least make it look classy!

With all explosion of "looper" pedals out there now, and loopers being added to all manner of FX pedals, THAT would actually be more appealing. Throw in varispeed and you got something. At least it uses modified forms of Les's inventions with a knod toward his recording style. But, instead of his wife singing multiple harmony tracks, it's all LP guitar!

Now, LP also stands for Looping Paul, or just LooPaul for short!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
This has been out for a while for adding MIDI control through Bluetooth to your existing guitar - non invasively...

Livid Instruments

I have enough problems just using my pickup switch and volume knob; having pedals on the floor lets me use my feet while still playing, but this may work for some.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post

IF Les had combined his 2 great inventions, multitrack recording and the LP guitar - in this pretend future, he'd at least make it look classy!

With all explosion of "looper" pedals out there now, and loopers being added to all manner of FX pedals, THAT would actually be more appealing. Throw in varispeed and you got something. At least it uses modified forms of Les's inventions with a knod toward his recording style. But, instead of his wife singing multiple harmony tracks, it's all LP guitar!

Now, LP also stands for Looping Paul, or just LooPaul for short!

Les did. Look up "les Paul little black box" or the les paulverizor.

And I personally got a real good look at his pedalboard which was surprisingly non-boutique with a collection of typical Boss pedals.

Seeing as how Les's passion right up until the end was advancing pickup design, I'm sure if he felt it worthwhile he would have had effects built into his guitar. Being a reasonable and agreeable gent he instead chose to view them as different processes and stages of amplification and processing.

Pretty sure Les would not have thought about this instrument in the least. His relationship with gibson always being an on again off again love hate relationship.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

My bad Kafka - did not see on the phone you posted a pic of the contraption!

Cheers,
Brock
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
This has been out for a while for adding MIDI control through Bluetooth to your existing guitar - non invasively...

Livid Instruments

I have enough problems just using my pickup switch and volume knob; having pedals on the floor lets me use my feet while still playing, but this may work for some.
I've always found that building FX into the guitar to be a pretty clumsy "solution" to a non-problem.

But that's Henry for you - never met a really stupid idea he didn't like.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I've always found that building FX into the guitar to be a pretty clumsy "solution" to a non-problem.

But that's Henry for you - never met a really stupid idea he didn't like.
Even worse - it is introducing a problem to solve a problem that doesn't exist...

But then that's the sign of the times. Gibson run by pencil pushers, Martin making Formica guitars, Fender coming out with a new strat and tele model every other week

The modern way is to attempt to grow massively quickly and then by the time things fall apart hopefully you are retired or at some other venture. Slow and steady wins the race, but it doesn't win you many fans among the investors I guess.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Even worse - it is introducing a problem to solve a problem that doesn't exist...

But then that's the sign of the times. Gibson run by pencil pushers, Martin making Formica guitars, Fender coming out with a new strat and tele model every other week

The modern way is to attempt to grow massively quickly and then by the time things fall apart hopefully you are retired or at some other venture. Slow and steady wins the race, but it doesn't win you many fans among the investors I guess.
Screw the "investors", aka "vultures".
Old 6 days ago
I think built-in FX are fine on bespoke builds. BilT Guitars and Manson Guitars both do it with success, but every piece is basically built and customised to order.

Doing it on a mass-market guitar is just not gonna be the same.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I think it'd be relatively straightforward to integrate boss pedals into a guitar's guts if you could find the room since they're all generally the same size with similar knob configurations. It'd make it relatively easy to swap. I imagine Fender will do that at some point since they have a long standing relationship with Roland. It would allow you to swap with another off-the-shelf boss pedal. Bonus points if they can wedge 3 in.

I love guitars with tons of knobs and switches and stuff. Another option would be to do routing for these mini pedals that appeared out of nowhere. I think a better idea than trying to build an effect into the guitar would be to build a way to house a pedal in the guitar. I know Ibanez made a guitar routed for a kaoss pad at one point. Literally you just dropped it in.

I think you'd either have to go the multifx route (analog or digital) or make it able to swap with off-the-shelf pedals from a single builder with a history of the same form factor like boss or arguably EHX, but these micro pedals I see everywhere now would be a better candidate. Remove the pedal housing, open the body cavity, slide the guts in, maybe just the whole pedal, just have the switch and the top of the pedal stick out so you can get to the controls. I do agree even this is more trouble than its worth.

On that hotrod baritone I built, I'd love a built-in chorus pedal for the treble side since I'm always using chorus to distinguish the bass and treble strings. But, I'd also want to build in a clean boost to both sides. I'm just out of room for additional electronics unless I start routing the original body, which I'm reluctant to do.

Also, when it makes sense (IE playing that guitar for the whole gig, recording etc) I far prefer to run the treble strings through a leslie cabinet. maybe I'd deconstruct a RT-20 if I ever decide to do this.
Old 5 days ago
Les Pauls have had that since 1957, it's called a humbucker pickup.

Only a Progg Queen would want a bunch of sound effects in the guitar. Maybe that Rush guy will buy into this? ZZ Top will probably still use that "man behind the curtain" instead.

Being said, I'm guilty of using, developing, selling active on-board electric guitar and bass electronics since 1972. It's done to extract all the sonics off the pickups without filtration effects from passive controls, cable capacitance and loading. Those were popular with some players back then like Zappa and McLaughlin.

My fave 1968 Les Paul Custom re-issue is wired with one. +6 db gain assures it will drive cables and amps well.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for food

The only way I can see wanting a fuzz box built into a Les Paul is if there's at least also a reverb in there too, a knob to balance the two, and a 1/8 stereo earbud jack next to the quarter inch jack so I can walk around the house at 2am playing my Les Paul through earbuds at mindnumbing volume.

I'll also need wifi/bluetooth in the guitar for loading in od presets and (when the mood hits), shooting my just-invented killer riff over to my daw. Come to think of it, I'll need an mp3 player in the guitar too and another knob for balancing the mp3 that I play to. Either that or a touch screen mounted in the back of the guitar for setting levels etc..... and I guess also a basic daw if there's gonna be a built-in screen. And I'll need a compressor too. And a flanger. Is it possible to install my Waves plugs on a Les Paul? Does a Les Paul need an ilok? Can a 9volt battery power all this stuff?
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
The only way I can see wanting a fuzz box built into a Les Paul is if there's at least also a reverb in there too, a knob to balance the two, and a 1/8 stereo earbud jack next to the quarter inch jack so I can walk around the house at 2am playing my Les Paul through earbuds at mindnumbing volume.

I'll also need wifi/bluetooth in the guitar for loading in od presets and (when the mood hits), shooting my just-invented killer riff over to my daw. Come to think of it, I'll need an mp3 player in the guitar too and another knob for balancing the mp3 that I play to. Either that or a touch screen mounted in the back of the guitar for setting levels etc..... and I guess also a basic daw if there's gonna be a built-in screen. And I'll need a compressor too. And a flanger. Is it possible to install my Waves plugs on a Les Paul? Does a Les Paul need an ilok? Can a 9volt battery power all this stuff?
Screw dat!

Guitar>cable>Champ. Maybe a pillow or two if the cat's sleeping. If you want a fuzz/OD, add another cable and pedal. Don't forget the pillows.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search