The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New UA OX Box Attenuator/Recording Solution for Guitar
Old 13th July 2017
  #1
New UA OX Box Attenuator/Recording Solution for Guitar

I saw this ad and figured it was some sort of plugin.

I was wrong.

Looks cool, it will be interesting to see if it delivers.

OX | Amp Top Box
Old 13th July 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
" Get authentic "edge of destruction" tones complete with speaker breakup and cone cry, via UA Dynamic Speaker Modeling "

gotta have that cone cry
Old 14th July 2017
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I saw this ad and figured it was some sort of plugin.

I was wrong.

Looks cool, it will be interesting to see if it delivers.

OX | Amp Top Box
What an utterly bullshytte video. It communicated absolutely NOTHING to me about the product.

EDIT: And it's not even available now. In the past we called that "vaporware".

And "The world's best reactive load"?

Really?

It's been my belief for some time that Weber had that one in the bag...
Old 14th July 2017
  #4
Old 14th July 2017
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post

It's been my belief for some time that Weber had that one in the bag...
I have a Weber and it's great. When I use something like this I'm still using the old GT Speaker Emulator II.
Old 15th July 2017
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo View Post
Man, those guys sure do yak a lot.

In the relatively small amount of playing the guy did, most of the sounds he got did not impress me. A couple of the cleaner sounds were OK.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 16th July 2017 at 08:59 AM..
Old 15th July 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
I have a Cab Clone which is fine for practicing, but I prefer the sound coming out of my speaker for recording. These boxes are fine, they aren't a speaker.

Who knows what you could get for tone if you spent a few hours/days fiddling with it and your DAW plugins.

It's not about getting that "vintage" tone (or whatever you want to call it) with something that didn't originally create it. It's all about getting a good sound using what you have to work with. If you like it enough to record it, it's your call.
Old 16th July 2017
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
I have a Cab Clone which is fine for practicing, but I prefer the sound coming out of my speaker for recording. These boxes are fine, they aren't a speaker.

Who knows what you could get for tone if you spent a few hours/days fiddling with it and your DAW plugins.

It's not about getting that "vintage" tone (or whatever you want to call it) with something that didn't originally create it. It's all about getting a good sound using what you have to work with. If you like it enough to record it, it's your call.
If I have waste hours (let alone days) fiddling with something just to get a halfway decent sound from an "amp" then I don't want it. Much too big an impediment to actually playing music. But it does seem that some people are more interested in playing with gear than in playing music, anyway.

I'd rather spend my money on something that does the job it's supposed to do and stays out of my way.
Old 16th July 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
If I have waste hours (let alone days) fiddling with something just to get a halfway decent sound from an "amp" then I don't want it. Much too big an impediment to actually playing music. But it does seem that some people are more interested in playing with gear than in playing music, anyway.

I'd rather spend my money on something that does the job it's supposed to do and stays out of my way.
In some regards, the amount of work required to derive the best result in any DAW is overwhelming and somewhat counterproductive.

The number of features in most DAW's and presets/parameters available in plugins has transformed home recording from the simple cassette recorder to a full featured prosumer studio mainly in the last 10 years.

As in any technical trade, it takes study, practical application, and mostly time to become adept at producing a good quality result.

The appeal to record, whether it be to hear or be heard, has piggybacked a second skill on top of the just being a player/performer. And it's not just the individual's own instrument(s); it involves learning correct micing and mixing of a variety of instruments which make up the recording.

The tools are readily available - at various price points - and it's up to the individual whether they want to take on the additional workload.

Even at an instrument level, one needs to become familiar with it's features, additional effects, and proper tone/amplification. This is the minimum, so that they can send a good tone to the board or DAW, via mic or line. Though not as complex, it still requires study and practice to achieve it, on top of proficiency of performance.
Old 17th July 2017
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo View Post
Gripes me when I have to watch a commercial in order to watch another commercial.
Old 18th July 2017
  #11
Gear Addict
 
Wattsy's Avatar
 

Super interesting discourse on the merits of modern workflows.

What's everyone's thoughts on this new product?
Old 18th July 2017
  #12
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post
Super interesting discourse on the merits of modern workflows.

What's everyone's thoughts on this new product?
First-post snark noted. :-)

It looks interesting and I'd like to play with it. It also looks to be an amp loader + Amp Farm + Mic Farm + Room Farm packed into a box and called "hardware." I'd have to really love it to pay 1300. for a plugin bundle that can only be used hanging off the outputs of a tube guitar amp.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 18th July 2017 at 04:02 PM..
Old 19th July 2017
  #13
Gear Addict
 
Wattsy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
First-post snark noted. :-)

It looks interesting and I'd like to play with it. It also looks to be an amp loader + Amp Farm + Mic Farm + Room Farm packed into a box and called "hardware." I'd have to really love it to pay 1300. for a plugin bundle that can only be used hanging off the outputs of a tube guitar amp.
Haha sorry, the snarkiness was not directed at yourself. I'm actually quite fond of this communities ability to derail new product discussions, it just rarely delves to the depths of writing off every DAW and calling their developers idiots. But hey it was a entertaining read.

Back to the Ox, as someone who has some noise restrictions tracking at home this looks great however I'm terrified of what the price will end up being in Australia..
Old 19th July 2017
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post
Super interesting discourse on the merits of modern workflows.

What's everyone's thoughts on this new product?
I already said, I was at best unimpressed. At worst I thought many of the sounds were ugly (not in a good way) and sucked.
Old 19th July 2017
  #15
Gear Head
There's a new video with a better demonstration. I'm far from being a professional guitar player but this box sounds extremely good to my ears!!!

https://youtu.be/4kGbm8MDvyI
Old 19th July 2017
  #16
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
The video display that shows you the fantasy amps and mics and rooms they'd like you to imagine you're hearing is pretty fun. If that thing can show the fantasy me, who's 22 and skinny and good-looking, I'm in.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 19th July 2017 at 05:03 PM..
Old 19th July 2017
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo View Post
There's a new video with a better demonstration. I'm far from being a professional guitar player but this box sounds extremely good to my ears!!!

https://youtu.be/4kGbm8MDvyI
This is definitely a better video, as video demos go. There's a lot more talk than playing though. The guy says a lot of interesting things, but I've learned to take anything a gear pimp or factory rep says with a large grain of salt - however some of what he says does pique my interest if what he's saying is true and they actually did succeed in doing what he says.

As to the tones when he was playing, I didn't really hear much of the ugliness I heard in the first demo, but that doesn't mean that it can't produce that - however in this demo the fizziness that I find objectionable with most attenuator.load boxes was, while still present in a couple of the sounds, controlled to a point where I didn't really find it unrealistically exaggerated as it often is with some competing products. Also, in both demos it did seem to do better on cleaner tones than many attenuators and load boxes.

I don't entirely buy into some of the claims he made without an opportunity to conduct an in-depth trial, but I must admit it does appear to be an interesting box and may very well be a step ahead for those stuck with having to play electric guitar in hostile, low volume environments.
Old 19th July 2017
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The video display that shows you the fantasy amps and mics and rooms they'd like you to imagine you're hearing is pretty fun. If that thing can show the fantasy me, who's 22 and skinny and good-looking, I'm in.
You're 22? Interesting - I would have guessed late 20s or early 30s. Maybe there is some hope for the youth after all!
Old 19th July 2017
  #19
When I posted this thread I didn't realize you needed a tablet (which I don't own), a WiFi connection and that it does speaker emulations.

I was kind of hoping it was UA's take on something like the old Groove Tubes Speaker Emulator II that I sometimes use.

When the UAD-1 first came out I bought one. It ended up getting discontinued, so I can't use it anymore because I don't have a PCIe slot or drivers for my OSX.

The software component kills it for me because who knows if/when they'll stop supporting it. My kids have the tablets and drive me nuts with them. I don't want them out here as well.

For the money it costs you could buy a cabinet and throw 4 different speakers in it or another map that would give more toanz.
Old 19th July 2017
  #20
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You're 22? Interesting - I would have guessed late 20s or early 30s. Maybe there is some hope for the youth after all!
The "fantasy me" is 22. The real one is about as 22 as you are. :-)
Old 19th July 2017
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
When I posted this thread I didn't realize you needed a tablet (which I don't own), a WiFi connection and that it does speaker emulations.
Just a guess, but I couldn't imagine that the tablet would be the only way to control it, rather an alternate way to supplement its interoperability, along with its connection to a computer via USB, not as a necessary component per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
The software component kills it for me because who knows if/when they'll stop supporting it.
That's practically true of anything that's computer related. Hard, if not impossible to avoid...and shouldn't be a deal breaker by any means.

I saw the video, and just on the surface, it sounds really great. It seems similar to the Yamaha THR100HD 100W Modeling Guitar Amp, without the tube amp emulation or the amp part, but with the load box functionality.

It would appear to be something worthwhile for those that already have tube amps at their disposal, to it be allowed to be used in modern DAW workflows.
Old 19th July 2017
  #22
I guess, but the GT SEII and Weber attenuators are a lot less and I already have them.

Both already have a direct out and Guitar Rig, etc... can be used for cabinet emulations.

Looks like kind of a cool product. It just went to something I would probably buy to something I probably won't.
Old 19th July 2017
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I guess, but the GT SEII and Weber attenuators are a lot less and I already have them.

Both already have a direct out and Guitar Rig, etc... can be used for cabinet emulations.

Looks like kind of a cool product. It just went to something I would probably buy to something I probably won't.
It's not likely to be something I'd use either, but it could be something I'd recommend to bedroom or apartment guys with serious noise problems. Most of those guys are already attached to a computer with some kind of umbilical, anyway. And most love futzing with gear - I guess it's a psychological substitute for dealing with band mates...
Old 20th July 2017
  #24
Lives for gear
Interesting product, but without hearing it or having someone like Pete Thorn compare it to his Two Notes Torpedo or the Suhr Reactive Load and IR's in the DAW, hard to say if this will be good or not. No price point also annoying, since it's a long way to NAMM this winter...

John - as a home recordist I can't get any of my amps up to a decent volume to get the power tubes cooking without the family yelling "turn that down!" That includes a Princeton Reverb and a Dr. Z Mini Z, so even my MAZ 18 or the Tremolux are out of the question. At some point, I will want to be able to record my amps through something like this. Will it be as good as a mic on the cab? Maybe not, but at the volume levels I can get in a home studio, it will be better. So I look at this as a solution for home studio guys like me who want to use their amps and and get the sound.

Who knows? I might find out that my Showman sounds great dimed, as even outdoors I'd have to play behind it with a 20' cord. Haven't found an outdoor show we've done I've had it over 4.
Old 20th July 2017
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
No price point also annoying, since it's a long way to NAMM this winter...
$1299 is what I've been hearing.
Old 20th July 2017
  #26
Lives for gear
Wow - $300 above a Two Notes Torpedo Live - better be amazing...
Old 20th July 2017
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
John - as a home recordist I can't get any of my amps up to a decent volume to get the power tubes cooking without the family yelling "turn that down!" That includes a Princeton Reverb and a Dr. Z Mini Z, so even my MAZ 18 or the Tremolux are out of the question. At some point, I will want to be able to record my amps through something like this. Will it be as good as a mic on the cab? Maybe not, but at the volume levels I can get in a home studio, it will be better. So I look at this as a solution for home studio guys like me who want to use their amps and and get the sound.
Well that's pretty much what I said in my post after the second video. It looks interesting in terms of filling a specific need.

BTW, have you checked out the Vox Lil Night Train? 1.5 to 2 watts of all tube power (depending on the impedance of your speaker). Class AB push-pull using a twin triode tube like usually found in preamps something like a 12AT7 or 12AU7. Cute little output transformer. Treble and bass controls. Unfortunately they're not in production now, but if you can find one used.....
Old 21st July 2017
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Well that's pretty much what I said in my post after the second video. It looks interesting in terms of filling a specific need.

BTW, have you checked out the Vox Lil Night Train? 1.5 to 2 watts of all tube power (depending on the impedance of your speaker). Class AB push-pull using a twin triode tube like usually found in preamps something like a 12AT7 or 12AU7. Cute little output transformer. Treble and bass controls. Unfortunately they're not in production now, but if you can find one used.....
John - have seen your posts on the Lil Night Train, and agree it looks interesting. On my Mini Z, I can attenuate the EL84 down to a 1/2 watt, but the room just makes it sound too loud. Plus, I'm up to 8 amps and it's only a hobby (not quitting my day job any time soon), so another amp isn't in the cards for a while. The only reason I got the MAZ18 is because it was mispriced on Ebay and I got a screaming good deal. I thought I was done when I bought the Bogen Challenger... wishful thinking.
Old 23rd July 2017
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

Looks like a nice product, but I think I see a problem with it, at least for my way of working. Please correct me if I am mistaken.......

Using an amp without an effects loop and going into this device presents an issue with time-based effects such as delay. With something like a Suhr reactive load I could put the delay after the reactive load and before the computer which would be running implies responses. But with the UA OX, the speaker modeling is done inside the same box as the reactive load, so putting the delay after the OX would result in delaying the modeled cabinet sound.

(I don't like using amp effects loops since they are not in stereo anyway, and I like a nice stereo reverb, chorus and delay).

Is this really an issue, or is the difference between delaying the sound going into a modeled cabinet not really different from the sound of delaying the sound after the modeled cabinet?

Am I crazy for recording guitar in stereo in the first place? Although with an amp without an effects loop with the UA OX one would still want to put time-based effects somewhere after after the amp, which would not work with pedals unless one wanted to put them after the OX which again would use these effects over the whole cabinet sound.

It's almost like the OX would be served by having an effects loop on it. (I know it has plug-ins for these things but I like my pedals).


Spoff
Old 26th July 2017
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Did i miss feedback between the guitar and the PA on the videos ?
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 54 views: 11775
Avatar for Davidsguitar
Davidsguitar 28th August 2017
replies: 66 views: 10857
Avatar for audioforce
audioforce 21st December 2018
replies: 83 views: 27524
Avatar for John Eppstein
John Eppstein 28th July 2020
replies: 83 views: 4234
Avatar for audioforce
audioforce 5th October 2018
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump