The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anyone rate any of these DIs?
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Addict

Does anyone rate any of these DIs?

I've just had a look around my local music shops for what DIs they have in store.
I used to have the Avalon U5 but I didn't really get on with it for recording direct into my computer (no amp). Now I'm ideally looking for something that will bring out a nice natural tone of a passive bass, is good for basslines, harmonics and lead work. I'm absolutely no Victor Wooten, but I think his tone is gorgeous, I've heard he uses the U5 but he also said he's used the Bassbone in the studio some years ago?

Anyway,

They've got a Neve RNDI for 300 dollars,
a Bassbone for 200 dollars,
a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver for 160,
an A3GP for 190,
a Hartke bass attack for 70,
an Albit A1BP vintage for 240.

I used to have the Avalon U5 but I didn't really get on with it for recording direct into my computer (no amp). I'll take in my bass and try a few later this week, was just wondering if anyone's used this models for recording directly into DAWs and how it went?

Cheers!
Old 4th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriepunk23 View Post
I've just had a look around my local music shops for what DIs they have in store.
I used to have the Avalon U5 but I didn't really get on with it for recording direct into my computer (no amp). Now I'm ideally looking for something that will bring out a nice natural tone of a passive bass, is good for basslines, harmonics and lead work. I'm absolutely no Victor Wooten, but I think his tone is gorgeous, I've heard he uses the U5 but he also said he's used the Bassbone in the studio some years ago?

Anyway,

an A3GP for 190,

I used to have the Avalon U5 but I didn't really get on with it for recording direct into my computer (no amp). I'll take in my bass and try a few later this week, was just wondering if anyone's used this models for recording directly into DAWs and how it went?

Cheers!
A-Designs KGB.
Old 8th July 2017
If you didn't get on with a U5 I doubt you will get on with any of the traditional clean DI's. The U5 is a classic for recording bass - but there is nowhere to hide. If you're good, you will sound good ...

If you want to record direct and get an amp-like tone, I would seriously suggest the Sansamp Character VT Bass. Or one of the newer upmarket versions bassed on that same pedal. It's designed to sound like an Ampeg SVT ... so it gives you a lot of EQ and distortion options and general a tubelicious flavour.

Here is a utube clip of somebody using the DI version ...

Old 8th July 2017
BTW - i've had the Sansamp BDDI for years, and it's a classic. But it is nowhere near as versatile as the VT Bass .. so it either works for you, or it doesn't. I keep it around for comparison and sometimes use it, but buying again I would just get the VT ... maybe even the rackmount version since I like it so much.
Old 8th July 2017
Deleted 691ca21
Really been wanting to hear this new one from Sonic Farm recently, not cheap but I bet it's to die for...

Sonic Farm Pro Audio | Creamer Pentode Preamp | 2di4 Pentode Direct Box | Tantra Bass Preamp
Old 8th July 2017
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=Kiwi;12724948] The U5 is a classic for recording bass - but there is nowhere to hide. If you're good, you will sound good ...

Not that simple imo, depends on the bass/ aims. Tone-wise it certainly didn't do anything pleasant for the mids/highs on my p-bass. Sounded good with the bass' tone dial turned down as a kind of punk-sounding bass (with guitars providing the highs) and it sounded awesome on my Les Paul - but it felt very artificial on lead with the Fender I had at the time. I may try it out at again with another bass in another place, but I wanna trial something else for now. Recently, a few bassist friends of mine have waxed lyrical about the REDDI for soloing, so I think I'll give it a try - and if that sucks the problem is defo with my playing/mixing lol. Cheers.
Old 8th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
BTW - i've had the Sansamp BDDI for years, and it's a classic. But it is nowhere near as versatile as the VT Bass .. so it either works for you, or it doesn't. I keep it around for comparison and sometimes use it, but buying again I would just get the VT ... maybe even the rackmount version since I like it so much.
If I get the chance, I'll definitely try this, thanks!
Old 9th July 2017
Gear Nut

If you want to hear the natural tone of your passive bass -- as distinguished from simulated characters of various bass amps
-- then I think the Neve RNDI is a very good choice and reasonably priced. I like it more than the U5, which I also have. If you want to add "tube fatness" or have more EQ options to change the sound of your bass, there are other DIs that provide those options, which the RNDI does not.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
...Here is a utube clip of somebody using the DI version ...

I had a VT Bass pedal that did make for some great recordings, however, the tone in the video was atrocious. To be fair to the guy who made it I'll chalk up the sucky tone to the kick drum mic he used to record the amp with.
Old 10th July 2017
Sorry - I thought I had replaced the video with a clip from somebody who actually used it DI. Ooops. I don't like to make videos of myself and can't be bothered re-inventing the wheel. There are plenty of clips of people using these things as intended - DI. However - quite a few players have found that Sansamps are their secret weapon to making their bass amp sound good. They can be used for both purposes. They can be abused though - I agree the tone in that video wasn't ideal.

I just know what works for me. There are plenty of other people who rate Sansamps, including some big name producers who made some records I adore. I can't afford all the gear I would like to have, so if a cheap box gets the results I want i'm all over it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

Anyway,

an A3GP for 190,

Cheers!

I used to have avalon u5 and never really liked it! i prefer my jfdi on audient's id22 but i have just ordered RNDI... I will come back to tell you how it sounds!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Another shout out for Audient's JFET DI on their iD series boxes. Bass guitar sounds great clean through my iD14.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Another shout out for Audient's JFET DI on their iD series boxes. Bass guitar sounds great clean through my iD14.
It made me sell avalon and warm audio tb12 cause i didn't see any benefit especially for giving 1200$
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

Anyway,

an A3GP for 190,

Cheers!
Avalon pretty much suck IMO. When they came out they were pretty much the only preamp-DI that was commercially available and they're really pretty so a lot of people still use them, but these days they're old news.

You might want to check out the A-Designs KGB-1 ($750) https://www.adesignsaudio.com/kgb-2-kgb1ft-line-preamps or if you can afford it the Tonecraft Tube DI ($1500) http://www.tonecraftaudio.com/
Old 1 week ago
I am selling my RNDI cause my +48V from Audient's ID22 did not manage to feed it! :(
But i really love di from Audient so i am ok with that

Yes avalon is not my cup of tea i agree with the above statement
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by villis View Post
I am selling my RNDI cause my +48V from Audient's ID22 did not manage to feed it! :(
But i really love di from Audient so i am ok with that

Yes avalon is not my cup of tea i agree with the above statement
Are you saying the iD22 failed to supply a full +48V?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Are you saying the iD22 failed to supply a full +48V?
Yes exactly, i firstly thought that was RNDI to blame but as i put it in front of WA TB12 worked fine.

But the thing is that i like the Audient's DI more than RDNI WA TB12 compination

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes exactly, i firstly thought that was RNDI to blame but as i put it in front of WA TB12 worked fine.

But the thing is that i like the Audient's DI more than RDNI WA TB12 compination

Very interesting. I wonder why the iD22 wasn't providing the full +48V. Glad it worked out for you anyway.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Very interesting. I wonder why the iD22 wasn't providing the full +48V. Glad it worked out for you anyway.
When i first engage +48 works for a little and then stopped
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
When i first engage +48 works for a little and then stopped
Maybe a defective capacitor?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Maybe a defective capacitor?
maybe! I have this interface 3 years and haven't got any other problems. This was the first time trying to use phantom power however...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search