The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar thoughts
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Post Guitar thoughts

Please be fast on replies........

After 2 long months, ESP finally has shipped out to a store I was ordering from, the eclipse black cherry 2. For $1799 roughly, is this really the right choice?

I've wanted this guitar to learn dope metal and post hardcore music but for this price range I fully understand if I'm getting one guitar to last me a long time and no other guitar in for seeable future, is this the best choice?

I mean I could be getting a les Paul at this price point or schktar, or high end fender. Is ESP really worthy of $1799? However I do love that hardcore music And the look of this custom ordered guitar looks sick too.

I sort of like the look of the guild star fire too for like $600 cheaper but the sound seems way off from my hardcore looks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaldeadman View Post
Please be fast on replies........

After 2 long months, ESP finally has shipped out to a store I was ordering from, the eclipse black cherry 2. For $1799 roughly, is this really the right choice?

I've wanted this guitar to learn dope metal and post hardcore music but for this price range I fully understand if I'm getting one guitar to last me a long time and no other guitar in for seeable future, is this the best choice?

I mean I could be getting a les Paul at this price point or schktar, or high end fender. Is ESP really worthy of $1799? However I do love that hardcore music And the look of this custom ordered guitar looks sick too.

I sort of like the look of the guild star fire too for like $600 cheaper but the sound seems way off from my hardcore looks.
My psychic ability is off today, but for what it's worth your avatar looks happier.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

i lust after many guitars, what can i say imma gear slut. at the end of the day I play the guitar that i have come to find works best for me. it has all the specs that took me years of playing to understand who I am, what music I play. it's not the 1st guitar by a long shot. i will say that of the many guitars I've purchased, the more premium line have been much more satisfying. the cheapo guitars I've bought usually only brought frustration. i say buy the guitar you think you want. after you have it and sit plugging away for hours/days/weeks you'll start saying, I wish it had this, i wish this was different and you'll begin to see other guitars or playing styles, even in metal, that will get you to a place where you aren't with the guitar u have.

in short, get the esp. it's the one u want. at that price level they are great instruments.

good luck!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The ESPs made in Japan and California are excellent. Great craftsmanship, great fretwork, play amazingly well, and sound fantastic. You are paying for hands on craftsmanship by skilled luthiers. I have an ESP Kamikaze-1 that I got a killer deal on. They are hand built in Japan. They usually go for $3999 new. I got it for less than half that, but still, it is one of the best I've played and exudes shred metal.... and I've played a lot of high end guitars over the past 30 years.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Go there, try it. Try some others. Buy the one you like best. That's how you do it - strangers on the internet should not have any influence in the matter.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hate seeing all these GIBSON les PAULS because I watched some youtube videos and the metal sounds you can get are pretty awesome. For $2,000 and just a couple days away from placing my first down payment, I have to believe this ESP is the right choice at around $2,000 but again, I saw the new cases that comes with a LES PAUL and they look sweet. I think it had red liner and it was like silver gold outside. This may come down to a very hard choice. Is that ESP only good for one thing and one thing only vs a Gibson versatility?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Is a Kandinsky worth 50 million?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

only you can decide...but it's pretty hard to beat a good LP Standard.
Old 3 weeks ago
ESP guitars are awesome ... they play and sound great, even the Ltd stuff is very good, I've got a Japanese made super strat and it's incredible, so stable, plays and sounds as good as super expensive stuff.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm gonna stick with this ESP ECLIPSE 2 because it just looks so F****** sweet. Les Pauls bodies look horrible
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Post Shipped

ESP has been officially shipped to me. Cant wait.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I learned on a guitar that cost $128 or $129 new, I don't think it's worth buying a $1799 guitar to learn. In fact, I've never bought a guitar that cost that much.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
If you become a guitar player, your first guitar will be one of many. But - it's nice to get a keeper that you never let go and becomes part of your legend.

For what it's worth - I do understand the enormous appeal of a brand name such as Gibson. It's a mantra that has been repeated so often that the very name automatically gives you credibility. Even if the guitar is a POS that plays like a dog. A brand name desn't make a guitar good, and the lack of one does not make it bad.

I like the ESP guitars because they are not Gibson. And generally they use the EMG pickups, which appeal to me greatly because of their low noise with high gain. Most of the Gibsons i've played have been too noisy for high gain ... they just don't make them right, even though they know better and possibly do it right on their mega expensive top shelf guitars. It's all a marketing con - and I don't buy it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If you become a guitar player, your first guitar will be one of many. But - it's nice to get a keeper that you never let go and becomes part of your legend.

For what it's worth - I do understand the enormous appeal of a brand name such as Gibson. It's a mantra that has been repeated so often that the very name automatically gives you credibility. Even if the guitar is a POS that plays like a dog. A brand name desn't make a guitar good, and the lack of one does not make it bad.

I like the ESP guitars because they are not Gibson. And generally they use the EMG pickups, which appeal to me greatly because of their low noise with high gain. Most of the Gibsons i've played have been too noisy for high gain ... they just don't make them right, even though they know better and possibly do it right on their mega expensive top shelf guitars. It's all a marketing con - and I don't buy it.
Gibson has tried low impedance noiseless pickups before - in fact long before EMG made them widely popular.

They flopped. They were, in fact, quite a spectacular flop. Gibson hyped the holy crap out of the low impedance Les Pauls and nobody bought them - some hung on the dealer's wall for years. So they can't be blamed for being a bit gun shy.

And Gibson does a fine job with (most of) the pickups they make for a mass production guitar company. Their biggest problem seems to be an urge to "modernize" their pickups with higher output.

Gibson, and most of the well known pickup makers, are primarily interested in pickups that sound good over a wide rage of styles. A pickup like an EMG is much more limited - they seem to be accepted primarily by high gain metal (and similar) types, who totally obliterate the natural tone of the pickup with extreme high gain and FX, and really only care that the pickups not be noisy because their actual tone doesn't much matter and by a certain type of jazz guitarist who like a super clean, almost clinical guitar sound. Although there are a lot of metal players around they still don't make that large a share of the market and (I'm sorry) the jazz contingent is pretty negligible from a marketing viewpoint.

So most pickup builders can't really be blamed if they go where the customers are.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've never liked EMGs for high gain...but they have a decent hi-fi sound for ultra clean playing if that's your thing.

Personally, I never let pickups deter me from buying a guitar. Just about every guitar I have has aftermarket pickups. They are easy to swap.

I actually prefer lower gain pickups for high gain sound...they stay more focused. You can always put a boost pedal after to push the amp.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I believe I'm running into my first problems already. Why, when I play the esp, the sound out of my amp only play when guitar is pointed upright to it? This is so weird.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe I'm running into my first problems already. Why, when I play the esp, the sound out of my amp only play when guitar is pointed upright to it? This is so weird.
Those newer models have the "Custom Mercury Tilt Switch"
Attached Thumbnails
Guitar thoughts-custom-mercury-tilt-switch.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't laugh but seriously what the hell is that and what does it do?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchStuff View Post
Those newer models have the "Custom Mercury Tilt Switch"
So if you fall down on stage the guitar stops sending signal. For people like "The Edge".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ok so is this the switch up by the end of the fretboard? Would I want it flipped middle left or right? Can I stop this annoying thing from happening? I'm still trying to learn my blackstar club 40 amp. If you're not following me on instagram you should be. Username - ryanharvey27.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If your for real on about this,,,, I'd make sure it not the guitar cord, I wouldn't think the jack would be bad, but I've seen cheap plastic cords that had to be trimmed just a little where the plastic starts at the sleeve and I've seen them where you'd have to add a small rubber O-ring over the sleeve. Cheap-O's sleeve's can be too short or too long to make proper contact inside the jack. Do you have a good cord or not?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

This amp came used barely from American musical supply . They bundled this brand new cord with it. This cord is like 20 foot or something.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This amp came used barely from American musical supply . They bundled this brand new cord with it. This cord is like 20 foot or something.
All cords are brand new at some point. does it have plastic ends or metal,,, or a brand? And is it sloppy feeling when plugged into the guitar or amp and wiggled,,,, if so you should be able to hear if its loosing connection, with everything hooked up and powered on ? sounds like a bad cord and just because they bundled it with the amp (What Amp is it anyway) doesn't mean much.
If it has metal ends, unscrew them and you'll probably find a broken solder joint.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
So if you fall down on stage the guitar stops sending signal. For people like "The Edge".
LMFAO
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Blackstar ht club 40
Attached Thumbnails
Guitar thoughts-image_4107_0.jpg   Guitar thoughts-image_4818_0.jpg   Guitar thoughts-image_5279_0.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
try swapping the cord,,,, put the angled end to the amp and straight end to the guitar and see if you get same effect. If so, its probably a bad guitar jack or loose solder joint in the guitar. open both covers on the back and check the wires/solder to see if any are loose.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

If OP bought it from a store, I'd recommend taking it to the store and testing it on their amps. The guitar is high end and brand new, I wouldn't open it up for a couple years.

I'm willing to bet it's something like the cable isn't plugged all the way in, so def try the 90deg plug on the amp and the straight plug on the guitar and see if that improves.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I would rather have the Les Paul. If it's a Japanese made ESP maybe I would pay that. Chances are I would just look for a used Gibson or a used Japan made ESP. That seems like a lot of coin for a Chinese/Korean made guitar.

OTOH if you like it buy it.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Bad cable?

Or maybe the amp has an ego problem and only wants to play when it knows people are paying attention to it?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search