The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"do all" guitar
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

"do all" guitar

Of course this only works so much, but what do you consider to be a "do all" versatile guitar? My gut says a tele with a bucker in the bridge and single coil neck, but what do you guys think? Trying to get a guitar to cover all bases(for now, i'll get more later, haven't played much in the past few years, looking to pick it back up and have an axe here in cases someone forgets theirs) that is under 1k usd.

Now, after that i plan to get a Helix, and i know some of you believe that to be blasphemy. Would i be better to plug in the hi-z of my Mike-E and go the software modeling route?
Old 1 week ago
I have a dual SD humbucker Tele with a coil tap, it's all the electric guitar I've ever needed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Check out the godin passion or session guitars. Been thinking of getting one myself but im still too hooked on my warmoth jazzmaster
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

HSH Superstrat with coil splits is the obvious answer if versatility is all you wish for.
Jack of all trades, and allowing you to go all weedly weedly on the high frets (divebombs optional).

And there should be plenty of those around on the used market at very good prices.
Old 1 week ago
HSS strat for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

PRS

PRS Custom 24 works for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nothing says versatility like coil taps but I don't use mine on my strat very often. I've just never been as pleased with the tone as I am when using a different guitar that does that thing well. Also remember that it's the same guitar wood neck etc. and the coil tap can only take you so far. It might be exactly what you are after though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I have been impressed with Godin guitars. Their Summit Classic has P-Rails, which are single coils and P90s in a humbucker size. You can use either coil or both in series or parallel, in phase or out of phase. Pretty cool!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarcy View Post
Of course this only works so much, but what do you consider to be a "do all" versatile guitar? My gut says a tele with a bucker in the bridge and single coil neck, but what do you guys think?
If I were to mod my Tele, it would be the other way around with a humbucker up front a la Ed Bickert. But this guitar does that thing pretty well as-is.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
this is what i was looking at honestly. leaves plenty of money for other toys
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

No opinion on the direct in via Babyface pro or El-9 Mike-E, or the line 6 gadget?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
If you are going to get a Helix (and why wouldn't you?) why not consider a JT Variax. Ultra versatile, and there are tricks you can exploit using Line6 gear with other Line6 gear.

For example ... imagine selecting a patch on your Helix to play a Rolling Stones song, and automatically have your guitar turned into a 5 string Telecaster tuned from standard E to Open G tuning so you can play those Keef riffs ... and then for the next song have it back to 6 strings but in Eb with a wah and univibe for that Hendrix stuff - and then select another patch have a 12 string acoustic guitar, or a baritone guitar, sitar, banjo ... etc, etc ...

I find myself grabbing my JT59 as my goto guitar anyway, using it passively with it's hot humbucker pickups. It's just a great guitar even without the dsp stuff.

But I find the modeled guitars work really well - and are immune to hum ... piezos do not pick up electromagnetic noise, which can save your bacon at a gig.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

oh so there is people on this site who don't frown upon Line 6 gear? hahahaha
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gear schmear. I use Amp Farm.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If you are going to get a Helix (and why wouldn't you?) why not consider a JT Variax. Ultra versatile, and there are tricks you can exploit using Line6 gear with other Line6 gear.

For example ... imagine selecting a patch on your Helix to play a Rolling Stones song, and automatically have your guitar turned into a 5 string Telecaster tuned from standard E to Open G tuning so you can play those Keef riffs ... and then for the next song have it back to 6 strings but in Eb with a wah and univibe for that Hendrix stuff - and then select another patch have a 12 string acoustic guitar, or a baritone guitar, sitar, banjo ... etc, etc ...

I find myself grabbing my JT59 as my goto guitar anyway, using it passively with it's hot humbucker pickups. It's just a great guitar even without the dsp stuff.

But I find the modeled guitars work really well - and are immune to hum ... piezos do not pick up electromagnetic noise, which can save your bacon at a gig.
what are the necks like on those?

I have Trump hands, so LP chunker necks slow me down, and hate finished necks as well.

Shame about the first point, though.

Do they do "hand transplant" surgery yet?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Also, anyone familiar with the Laney Lionheart IRT studio?

I'm in an apartment for probably the next year, and obviously volume is an issue, but I don't want to sacrifice on tone TOO much. I just can't fathom the idea of a line 6 deal sounding better than a real tube amp. Most of the people wanting to work with me are "metal" guys, and I absolutely HATE moving all my stuff to their untreated spaces to record. HOURS of setup only to have to spend more hours trying to EQ like crazy to take away the sound of the ****ty room, usually unsuccessfully.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
He's pretty much the only one.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got a jtv89 and HD500x here. Not my only guitar gear, but it pays the bills.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
My 2015 Les Paul Classic can do almost any tone all the way to shredding metal. The only thing it doesn't do is the twangy Fender jangle really but it does have nice thick cleans and can get "airy" using the coil taps. It's my go-to unless I have a specific sound in mind. I wouldn't mind having my old California Tele back though (broke then cracked), it may not have had as detailed tones as the Gibson when distorted but it got the job done.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

So I just got the TH3 plug.

Is Helix really any better than this? This sounds pretty decent compared to the old line 6 stuff i've used.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Godin XTSA. H-S-H, with acoustic and synth outputs, and a vibrato.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course this only works so much, but what do you consider to be a "do all" versatile guitar? My gut says a tele with a bucker in the bridge and single coil neck
I think I'd be more inclined to lean towards a Tele -- or a Les Paul -- with humbuckers in both positions, and separate coil-cut switches so that either or both pickups could be switched to single-coil. There are way too many iconic guitar tones that come from a neck humbucker for me to not have that sound available.

otoh, after two failed attempts to own a "do all" electric guitar (once with a Gibson ES-345TD, once with a PRS CE24MT) I've lost the desire to chase these elusive One Size Fits All instruments. It's so much easier to find an instrument that does one sound really well, and then just buy another instrument that does another sound really well. Bring both to the gig. Hell, bring 10 guitars to the gig, roadies are cheap these days.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
He's pretty much the only one.
Nope - I also like the Line-6 stuff. I've had a PodXT Live and a 700 Variax since they were released and they were fine for what I was using them for. I recently got a Helix and I'm really pleased with it. Night and day better in so many ways. Add some Ownhammer IRs and its really impressive!

I've played most of my guitars through it by now. My Strat and old Electric XII sound glorious through it.

I'm expecting to acquire a JTV Variax shortly to use with it, and to augment with a newer hex-midi system. To me, the combo of a JTV and a Helix appears pretty hard to beat for versatility.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't. I have a POD for practicing with headphones and it's damn decent for what it is and cost. Just don't expect a proper tube amp sound.
Old 5 days ago
Jtt
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Also, anyone familiar with the Laney Lionheart IRT studio?

I'm in an apartment for probably the next year, and obviously volume is an issue, but I don't want to sacrifice on tone TOO much. I just can't fathom the idea of a line 6 deal sounding better than a real tube amp. Most of the people wanting to work with me are "metal" guys, and I absolutely HATE moving all my stuff to their untreated spaces to record. HOURS of setup only to have to spend more hours trying to EQ like crazy to take away the sound of the ****ty room, usually unsuccessfully.
I love the Laney. I use it with the cab sims in amplitube 4. I usually use the clean channel with the built in boost and pedals. It's fantastic that it has a loaded output that does not require a speaker.

The high gain side sounds ace, but is not my everyday territory.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Not sure what "forgets theirs" refers to so I'm going to take a wild guess and say it involves gigging/rehearsal/basement band.
On that assumption I have to say thankfully I don't gig anymore so I don't have to try and emulate every guitar/pickup/amp/pedal combination ever recorded.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

For me the two main tones are the single coil neck pickup and the Bridge Humbucker, as long as you aren't playing jazz.

Any guitar with those two will do, Tele, Strat , whatever. Super Strats are definitely versatile, but the coil tap doesn't do a neck single coil justice, so it's a deal breaker for me.

HSS is my favorite, though I have zero use for the middle coil and even took it out completely on my Strat.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

So, because I'm a big dummy(and i work with predominately "metal" bands) I ordered a $1200 7 string, and the Helix. lol

Next pay period I plan to buy a tele though, and I feel with that I'll have all bases covered.

My only tube amp is my old Blue Voodoo head/4x12 so i wonder how good of a metal tone that ran through the Crates clean channel would make? I really don't care much for the amps dirty channel that much as it gets kinda muddy and just generally ****ty sounding imo, so running the helix into it might cover a lot of bases I would assume. I'm sure better than direct in, at least.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

After I got utterly sick of hauling multiple instruments to rehearsal and watching over multiple expensive instruments at gigs, ( its no fun going around with a 335 case chained to your leg) I decided to get a cheap "cover everything" guitar.

I picked up a used Peavey "Generation EXP" Tele with a coil-tapped humbucker in the bridge and Peizo saddles.

It had a stereo output so the pizeo output went to the PA and the pickups to my amp. It really did cover anything. It was not as good as any of the individual instruments it replaced, but it was good enough, and much less of a PITA.

And with "Peavey" on the headstock , It was much less likely to be stolen by a meth-head at a gig.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search