The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Passion and Warfare tone quest - part ii
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post

Anyway, the good news is if you keep going, you can start a studio in NZ. Maybe call it Passion and Warfare studios. I'm in Aus so I will visit. I love some Vai tones. Only bits of info I can remember on the subject is DS1 pedal, I've heard him talk about using greenbacks and also Pultec EQ's. I'm no real help. But good luck.
I tried the DS-1, but didn't have much luck. I should try it again. Vai says in later interviews that the DS-1 has always been a big part of his tone, but he didn't list it on the gear list for PAW. Why?

I think the MXR and the SD-1 are what he used. They seem to work.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Does Steve Vai know about this?

If not, I kind of feel as if I should tell him.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post

If not, I kind of feel as if I should tell him.
I tried posting questions on his forum and tagging him on posts on twitter. To my knowledge, he's not aware.
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Nah I’m serious man.
There’s a key part of that tone that’s like 85-90% of it. I looked through both threads and nobody has mentioned it yet.
And no prize for 'vintage API desk'. I'm not buying one! Although I'm sure that and the Struder tape had a strong impact on the warm melted toffee sound of the whole album. Awesome.
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
If he cared to answer, I'd love to know:
  • Did he use a DS-1 on the lead tones?
  • How was the Yamaha graphic EQ used?
  • Were the 'Neve compressor/limiters' used in parallel settings? Can he recall any specific details of their use?
  • Were most of the lead tones the MP1 into the 9005? (With Animal, the exception, using the JCM900mkiii and a mic placement change)?
  • Did you know that 'The Audience is Listening' is still, umambiguously, the best heavy 7-string rhythm sound of all time?
  • Was the 480L used for chorus/FX/short ambience or longer A-Plate verbs? (on the guitars)?
  • Did he used Greenbacks as well as G12H30s? A or B cabinets?

He did so many cool little things on that album. Like, the scratchy sound before the first note on 'The Riddle'. If you play it backwards, it sounds like a scraping sound on one of the strings. It not only sounds cool, but I also wonder if he used it specifically to 'prime the compressors', so that the first actual note didn't sound so compressed. He really had his engineering down. Impressive.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugtone View Post
If he cared to answer, I'd love to know:
  • Did he use a DS-1 on the lead tones?
  • How was the Yamaha graphic EQ used?
  • Were the 'Neve compressor/limiters' used in parallel settings? Can he recall any specific details of their use?
  • Were most of the lead tones the MP1 into the 9005? (With Animal, the exception, using the JCM900mkiii and a mic placement change)?
  • Did you know that 'The Audience is Listening' is still, umambiguously, the best heavy 7-string rhythm sound of all time?
  • Was the 480L used for chorus/FX/short ambience or longer A-Plate verbs? (on the guitars)?
  • Did he used Greenbacks as well as G12H30s? A or B cabinets?

He did so many cool little things on that album. Like, the scratchy sound before the first note on 'The Riddle'. If you play it backwards, it sounds like a scraping sound on one of the strings. It not only sounds cool, but I also wonder if he used it specifically to 'prime the compressors', so that the first actual note didn't sound so compressed. He really had his engineering down. Impressive.
That scratching sound you’re referring to sounds more like the old horn/orchestra stab samples they used in the 80’s and 90’s.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
That scratching sound you’re referring to sounds more like the old horn/orchestra stab samples they used in the 80’s and 90’s.
Here it is reversed. Sounds like he's bouncing the whammy bar off the strings, a bit like in Erotic nightmares' interlude.
Attached Files

riddle_intro_scratch_reversed.mp3 (16.3 KB, 125 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search