The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Passion and Warfare tone quest - part ii
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugtone View Post
MIJ DS-1 -> ADA MP1 -> Marshall 9005 -> Suhr reactive load. This only has the G12M25 cab, with no G12H30 mixed in, and no EQ tuning, so not meant at a close match. Just a happy discovery after years of searching. Like this tone.
That is great man! With all the money, time and energy you've spent on this, you should someday book a studio session with a studio that has those cabinets avalaible and record all your equipment.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think I got the stereo delay close enough for the gear I have but couldn't find yet what that "other" modulation fx is.

Could it be a very slow and wide setuped phase? or maybe even chorus? (I suspect something isn't in the iso track when I listen to the album, maybe they didn't include a parallel fx when rendering the guitar...)

Last edited by cooker; 5 days ago at 10:26 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
I think I got the stereo delay close enough for the gear I have but couldn't find yet what that "other" modulation fx is.

Could it be a very slow and wide setuped phase? or maybe even chorus? (I suspect something isn't in the iso track when I listen to the album, maybe they didn't include a parallel fx when rendering the guitar...)
Thanks for sharing a result! I think you can get what you have going a fair bit closer with some EQ and IR work.

I'm not hearing a lot of odd harmonics in your tone. That is something I find the ADA MP-1 is doing well and I think is how Vai got his guitars so loud in the mix - if you have twice the harmonics lighting up as other tones, you have twice the energy but no one frequency is too loud. Listen to that long held A note I posted above from the solo of "The Animal". It's a very unique harmonic structure to my ears. Something I was never getting in the last few years of trying until recently, which makes me suspect I'm on the right path now.

Lastly, on chorus: great question. I've yammered on about the 'lush warm toffee' sound on PAW that I've been after all these years and I thought it was real tubes, and then real 1176s and then tape simulation, yadada. But no. As soon as I got a TC 1210 - that it is. Subtle chorus. That thing does something fantastic even on bypass mode. Haven't had time to ask or care if you can emulate it. But I suspect he has some subtle TC 1210 chorus on all the guitars on that album.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

And the TC 1210 is thickest on Liberty. That's the most 'warm toffee' tone on the album to me. Super lush. And doesn't even make me think of chorus as I usually think about a detuned chorus. Only if I solo the L/R channels do I really notice - whoa - that's a lot of chorus!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks! I'll experiment on chorus then, I guess he aimed for an old school "doubler" effect when setting it up thats why it didn't sound so obvious to me.

As for the harmonics, yeah this is where pedals+processors fail as expected. Maybe with a compressor/limiter I could get a tiny bit closer feel to it (probably right after guitar or dist. pedal rather than after cab.) but without proper gear I'm not optimistic so won't spare much time for that goal
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

ADA MP1 Channel != ADA MP1

I got an MP1 Channel today and compared it to my MP1 1.0 classic (no mods).

This is the closest I could bring the channel to sound like The Riddle. The original MP1 has a bigger mid thing going on that I think is missing in the channel and I think is an important part of the PAW lead tones.
Attached Files

TheRiddle_151_ADA_MP1.mp3 (878.7 KB, 96 views)

TheRiddle_151_ADA_MP1_channel.mp3 (932.6 KB, 96 views)

Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

This time a bit closer with the MP1 channel, adjusting the mid control and the MXR distortion+ a bit, and adding the TC1210 chorus mode 2 to the guitar.
Attached Files

TheRiddle_155_ADA_MP1_channel.mp3 (909.8 KB, 93 views)

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I used ozone's stereo widener (last in the chain) just out of curiosity and suddenly everything made sense. I'm %90 positive that he tweaked the TC 1210 as a stereo widener rather than chorus...

I kept wanting to lower the mids to get the highs right even though the analyzer showed very near results. The moment I added the stereo widener the "flow" of the tone got right.

You might want to try adjusting it with headphones, rather than a chorus try to get a space-y/widest sound by tweaking it.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

ADA into JCM 900 clean channel

I remember reading somewhere that Vai told them FTLOG was an ADA MP1 into the clean channel of a JCM900. So I gave that a shot today. First impressions: love it, needs tweaking. Sounds very PAW to me.

This is actually:
JEM77FP -> SD-1 -> MXR Distortion+ -> ADA MP-1 channel -> JCM900 clean channel -< Marshall 9005 power amp -> Suhr reactive load.

There is an 1176, LA3A and Aphex Type B in the post Cabinet impulse chain.
Attached Files
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search