The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Suppose Chuck Berry Died and everybody at GS was too busy arguing to notice?
Old 19th March 2017
  #1
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Suppose Chuck Berry Died and everybody at GS was too busy arguing to notice?

He was 90 years old. Without him there would be no rock and roll as we know it.
Old 19th March 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Yep. RIP Chuck Berry, father of rock and roll. what a life too! Dude had some _serious mojo.
Old 19th March 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
He was 90 years old. Without him there would be no rock and roll as we know it.
I posted a tribute - as did many others. I was also simultaneously arguing about something not especially important. We're musicians, we can multi-task.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4
Gear Guru
Roll over Beethoven ... 90 years is a good trot. The man is a legend.
Old 19th March 2017
  #5
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I posted a tribute - as did many others. I was also simultaneously arguing about something not especially important. We're musicians, we can multi-task.
Yeah, I saw afterward there was something in some other area but it didn't seem right to me that there was nothing in the guitar forum because he arguably is where modern rock and roll guitar started.

I don't pay much attention to other parts of GS these days unless someone draws my attention to something.
Old 19th March 2017
  #6
It just sucks too hard to really have anything to say. At least we have him on record when we want to remember what rock & roll was like.
Old 19th March 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
M.S.P.'s Avatar
Hail to the king.

And hail hail rock and roll!

RIP Chuck Berry. My record collection wouldnt be what it is without his influence.
Old 19th March 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
No rock and roll without Chuck Berry?

That's hilarious
Old 19th March 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
No rock and roll without Chuck Berry?

That's hilarious
Exactly. Chuck was one of the early greats and a pioneer for sure but hardly the only one. Too many names to mention here but those up on their musical history know who most of them are. Anyway, R.I.P. Chuck and thanks for the music which will probably live on and transcend generations..
Old 19th March 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I don't pay much attention to other parts of GS these days unless someone draws my attention to something.
Jeez, if you weren't so busy arguing... :-)
Old 19th March 2017
  #11
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Jeez, if you weren't so busy arguing... :-)
I get enough indigestion right here, thank you very much. Don't need the rest of the site to give me more.
Old 19th March 2017
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
He was 90 years old. Without him there would be no rock and roll as we know it.

John I agree with you 100% !!!! he helped to shape Rock n Roll !!! his contributions to rock n roll can not be measured !!!


R.I.P. Chuck Berry
Old 20th March 2017
  #13

The father of Rock and Roll has passed.

Long live Rock and Roll!



-tINY

Old 20th March 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
RIP Chuck Berry

But why is he considered the father of rock and roll and not Elvis?
Old 20th March 2017
  #15
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
RIP Chuck Berry

But why is he considered the father of rock and roll and not Elvis?
Uh oh.
Old 20th March 2017
  #16
Old 21st March 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
RIP Chuck Berry

But why is he considered the father of rock and roll and not Elvis?
Depends on your definition of R&R...

Hooker hit the blues angle in 48 with Boogie Chillin.
Louis Jordan hit swing in 49 with Saturday Night Fish Fry.
Jackie Brenston pulled things together in 51 with Rocket 88.

Rocket 88 gets my overall vote. Sounds like something from far later in the 50's. Way ahead of the curve.

But none of these guys were rock stars. CB and Elvis brought that to the game.
Old 21st March 2017
  #18
Gear Nut
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

"Rock and roll" was born when rhythm-and-blues finally became respectable to white audiences. I think Chuck Berry is more of a result than a cause of "rock and roll".
Old 22nd March 2017
  #19
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
Attached Thumbnails
Suppose Chuck Berry Died and everybody at GS was too busy arguing to notice?-smcb.jpg  

Last edited by kafka; 25th March 2017 at 12:46 PM..
Old 23rd March 2017
  #20
Gear Addict
 
enorbet2's Avatar
I once read in a Music mag that "the Everly Brothers brought Harmony to Rock 'n Roll , and Bob Dylam brought intelligence to Rock n Roll lyrics" and while I pretty much agree about the Everly Bros. (though they had some thoughtful lyrics, too) and as much as I love and respect The Mad Hatter, Dylan was hardly the first. That distinction belongs to the Master, Chuck Berry.. Despite his foray into groupie land with such as "My Ding-a-Ling" ... songs like "Rock 'n Roll Music", "Nadine", "Sweet Little Sixteen" and "No Money Down" just to name a pitiful few of the many, raised the bar so that despite some silliness, nobody could rightfully ever again indict Rock n Roll as Sophomoric Trash Talk or pablum for babies.

Thank you Chuck

(BTW where did you hide those Bathroom Tapes? Any GOOD ones?
Old 23rd March 2017
  #21
My personal opinion is that, if Elvis only 'left the building' when he died, the passing of Chuck has seen the building completely razed.

Just my 2 centavos.
Old 23rd March 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Depends on your definition of R&R...

Hooker hit the blues angle in 48 with Boogie Chillin.
Louis Jordan hit swing in 49 with Saturday Night Fish Fry.
Jackie Brenston pulled things together in 51 with Rocket 88.

Rocket 88 gets my overall vote. Sounds like something from far later in the 50's. Way ahead of the curve.

But none of these guys were rock stars. CB and Elvis brought that to the game.
Rock Around The Clock bears a very close resemblance to Move It On Over by Hank Williams from 1947.
Old 23rd March 2017
  #23
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
My personal opinion is that, if Elvis only 'left the building' when he died, the passing of Chuck has seen the building completely razed.
#Yousoeloquent

Old 23rd March 2017
  #24
Gear Head
 

Old 23rd March 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
I don't see any need to argue who 'invented' rock and roll. It was a blend of so-called 'white' and 'black' music, blues and country, jazz and hillbilly.

Chuck Berry was one of the pioneers and he took country 'Ida Red' and turned it into 'Maybellene'.

I think his true genius was as a lyricist.

'Nadine'

'I saw her from the corner when she turned and doubled back
And started walkin' toward a coffee colored Cadillac
I was pushin' through the crowd to get to where she's at
And I was campaign shouting like a southern diplomat'

I just love how he causually throws a political aside in there! Or how he made up his own words like 'motorvatin'.

As a guitar player he was extremely influential of course but in the same way that you can't imagine The Rolling Stones without Chuck Berry you can't imagine Chuck Berry without T-Bone Walker and Louis Jordan.

Music is a big river and it goes on forever.

R.I.P Chuck Berry
Old 24th March 2017
  #26
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I don't see any need to argue who 'invented' rock and roll. It was a blend of so-called 'white' and 'black' music, blues and country, jazz and hillbilly.

Chuck Berry was one of the pioneers and he took country 'Ida Red' and turned it into 'Maybellene'.

I think his true genius was as a lyricist.

'Nadine'

'I saw her from the corner when she turned and doubled back
And started walkin' toward a coffee colored Cadillac
I was pushin' through the crowd to get to where she's at
And I was campaign shouting like a southern diplomat'

I just love how he causually throws a political aside in there! Or how he made up his own words like 'motorvatin'.

As a guitar player he was extremely influential of course but in the same way that you can't imagine The Rolling Stones without Chuck Berry you can't imagine Chuck Berry without T-Bone Walker and Louis Jordan.

Music is a big river and it goes on forever.

R.I.P Chuck Berry
I agree. The rhythmic and harmonic simplicity are deceiving. The guitar playing is breathtakingly raw. The imagery is immaculate.
Old 24th March 2017
  #27
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
RIP Chuck Berry

But why is he considered the father of rock and roll and not Elvis?
Because Elvis never wrote one single song and couldn't play guitar worth a damn.

And really, he wasn't half the showman Chuck Berry was.
Old 24th March 2017
  #28
Gear Addict
 
buddachile's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Because Elvis never wrote one single song and couldn't play guitar worth a damn.

And really, he wasn't half the showman Chuck Berry was.
Agreed. I like the documentary/concert film featuring Chuck Berry that Keith Richards was involved with. I could be wrong but I think it was from the 90's.
Old 24th March 2017
  #29
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
"Rock and roll" was born when rhythm-and-blues finally became respectable to white audiences. I think Chuck Berry is more of a result than a cause of "rock and roll".
Wrong. What Chuck Berry did that is largely overlooked was that he achieved the final synthesis of blue and country music when he wrote Maybelline, which was a rewrite of an old country tune called Ida Red. Chuck Berry was actually into country as much as blues, although it's not really obvious to the modern ear.

What Chuck Berry was was the first black performer to really cross over to a white teenage audience. And the first guitar hero. And that's what really started it.

He was also the first to put on a really wild stage show, foreshadowing Hendrix by more than a decade.

You kids don't get it because you weren't there to experience what a social upheaval it really was. The changes Chuck Berry brought were every bit as important as those brought by Martin Luther King, maybe more, because in a very real way Berry's music brought about the social acceptance of blacks by young white America.

King would have had a much harder time without Chuck Berry.
Old 24th March 2017
  #30
Not only that, Chuck Barris died too. Many's the time I wished for a gong in the middle of a GS argument.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump