The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blind Test: Marshall JTM45 vs. UAD Marshalls vs. AmpliTube 4 Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 14th March 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Blind Test: Marshall JTM45 vs. UAD Marshalls vs. AmpliTube 4

Here's a blind test between a JTM45 HandWired Reissue vs. UAD Marshalls vs. AmpliTube 4 "Red Pig". I have posted this to the UAD Forum and KVR, as well, and will post the results as soon there are 20 or more responses between all the forums.

The DI was a custom Cinemag run into a Universal Audio Apollo preamp with no Unison plugin. Levels were matched using the meter in the UAD Precision Limiter. All settings are the same where possible. Gain settings were approximated on the Marshalls that have separate input gains and master outs. The files were gated because the real amp's noise gave it away. All the tracks were routed to a single gate that was being side chained to the DI, meaning the gate response was identical for all files. The real amp is miked with an SM57 and a NOS Audio Panther ribbon mic (sounds similar to an R121) into Apollo preamps with no Unison plugins. The UAD Marshalls lack ribbon close mics so I chose either the SM7b or the 609 as the second mic if they were available. Yes, I recognize that this presents a problem but I didn't see why the real amp and AmpliTube 4 should be punished over something that the UAD Marshalls are lacking:



You can go to the SoundCloud playlist page to see the numbered files:

https://soundcloud.com/eric-dahlberg...all-blind-test
Old 15th March 2017
  #2
Didn't like 3 and 5. 6 is kinda cool. I listened with earbuds. Tomorrow will listen on monitors. It also great to hear the guitar tone in context.
Old 16th March 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
grumphh's Avatar
 

No 5 sounds terrible - like a microphone placed behind a cab or under a blanket, the rest are passable sounds that might work in a mix, but none of the clips really gives me a sense of "recorded amp tone" over the others.

If i really had to take a guess at the real Marshall i'd go with 3 and 6 because of the brightness.

BTW, it wouldn't have hurt you to post the real amps eq settings
Old 16th March 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
BTW, it wouldn't have hurt you to post the real amps eq settings
I used Slash's settings:

Presence: 8
Bass: 7
Middle: 7
Treble: 4.5
Loudness 1: 8
Loudness 2: 0
Old 16th March 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
Here's my original JTM-45 for this solo starting at 1:18 and again at 4:02 for a comparison to the reissue. Most of the rhythm parts on both tracks are the 45 or a 60s Super Tremolo. Guitar is a 60 Les Paul Standard with PAFs.

I recorded these guitars at my house. They're just a 57 on an old basketweave cab.

https://soundcloud.com/amp360-1/klon-plexi-lp
Old 16th March 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 
grumphh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
I used Slash's settings:

Presence: 8
Bass: 7
Middle: 7
Treble: 4.5
Loudness 1: 8
Loudness 2: 0
Weird settings for a NMV Marshall.
In that case i have no idea which is real and which not.
Old 16th March 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
2 and 6 stood out as being horrible and the rest was pretty close to sounding the same as each other. That's after a quick listen on my laptop speakers while waking up with coffee. I'll try it again with good headphones later.
Old 16th March 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
I used Slash's settings:

Presence: 8
Bass: 7
Middle: 7
Treble: 4.5
Loudness 1: 8
Loudness 2: 0
Those settings are ********

Didnt Slash use master volume amps?

Some common plexi nmv settings:

All knobs @ halfway
All knobs cranked
All knobs cranked except bass @ zero
Old 17th March 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Weird settings for a NMV Marshall.
In that case i have no idea which is real and which not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
Some common plexi nmv settings:

All knobs @ halfway
All knobs cranked
All knobs cranked except bass @ zero
Yeah, I can't say I loved these settings on a Les Paul. I originally made this test for a member of the UAD forum who specifically mentioned Appetite for Destruction but I don't own a Jubilee or a JCM800, so there you go.

Anyway, here are the answers:

1 UAD Plexi
2 AmpliTube 4 Red Pig
3 UAD JMP 2203
4 Real Marshall JTM45
5 UAD Blues Breaker
6 UAD Jubilee
Old 17th March 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 
kuasalogam's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
Here's a blind test between a JTM45 HandWired Reissue vs. UAD Marshalls vs. AmpliTube 4 "Red Pig". I have posted this to the UAD Forum and KVR, as well, and will post the results as soon there are 20 or more responses between all the forums.

The DI was a custom Cinemag run into a Universal Audio Apollo preamp with no Unison plugin. Levels were matched using the meter in the UAD Precision Limiter. All settings are the same where possible. Gain settings were approximated on the Marshalls that have separate input gains and master outs. The files were gated because the real amp's noise gave it away. All the tracks were routed to a single gate that was being side chained to the DI, meaning the gate response was identical for all files. The real amp is miked with an SM57 and a NOS Audio Panther ribbon mic (sounds similar to an R121) into Apollo preamps with no Unison plugins. The UAD Marshalls lack ribbon close mics so I chose either the SM7b or the 609 as the second mic if they were available. Yes, I recognize that this presents a problem but I didn't see why the real amp and AmpliTube 4 should be punished over something that the UAD Marshalls are lacking:



You can go to the SoundCloud playlist page to see the numbered files:

https://soundcloud.com/eric-dahlberg...all-blind-test
I click on Quote so I can't see everyone's guessing. Here goes:
No.1 is okay, I can work with it.
No.2 and 3 is awful.
No.5 sounds muddy and phasey (?) like a mic'ed front and back of a open cab
No.4 and 6 sounds great. I'm guessing the real one is one of these.
Old 17th March 2017
  #11
Gear Head
 

One thing that usually helps to spot what is real and what is plugin is the noise IME
The gate kinda kill it.....

For that , I would say #3 is the real , because it doesn't react the same way as the others at the end of each phrase.

#5 sounds like over a blanket , bad settings ,bad plugin ,or you forgot to remove the extra thick wind screen ?

Overall , I don't know if they were supposer to emulate the exact same amp but it's a world of difference.

EDIT : saw the results after posting .... well .....
Old 17th March 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
1: scratchy, a bit dull
2: seems louder, more midpunch, warmer,sort of dry hardcore sound
3: screechy
4: louder, a bit scratchy, midpunch
5: dull, seems far away, les loud
6: dry, ok mids

2, 4 and 6 are OK, I prefer 2 the most

but I love metal
Old 18th March 2017
  #13
Here for the gear
 

I also thought that No. 2, 4 and 6, sounded the best.
But you should have used the "JH Gold" amp in Amplitude intead of the Red Pig. JH Gold is based on the JTM45 and Red Pig is a Marshall Major.
Old 18th March 2017
  #14
Gear Nut
 

3 is the only one that made me really cringe. But I bet I could do a bit of EQing to my taste and use them all though. 6 sounded usable as is. Though to say with a limited sample, some of it sounded like mic placement to me.

Really need a different riff honestly something with a bit more dynamic to it than hard picked staccato to do a sound test.
Old 18th March 2017
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
here are the answers:

1 UAD Plexi
2 AmpliTube 4 Red Pig
3 UAD JMP 2203
4 Real Marshall JTM45
5 UAD Blues Breaker
6 UAD Jubilee
funny, i didn't look at the result, but go back and listen on monitors, here's my conculisons in notepad, before i see results

1 is a real thing
2 is amplitube
3 is uad marshal
4 is amplitube
5 is sh**
6 is a real thing

I was think you run two passses with each competitor.
That's intresting how I like uad plexi and jubilee to have this tight low end and overall balanced sound.
And strange to choose amplitube and real marshall as an "amplitube", like they sound close to each other.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
1 UAD Plexi
2 AmpliTube 4 Red Pig
3 UAD JMP 2203
4 Real Marshall JTM45
5 UAD Blues Breaker
6 UAD Jubilee
6 - UAD Jubilee easily sounded the best to me.
Then 4 - the real thing
Then 3 - UAD JMP

1 might be a good sound sometimes

2 and 5 meh.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Gear Head
 

1- Sounds somewhat nasal
2- much better. Closer than Angus Young tone
3- godawful. Metallic. Shrill. The least Angus Young tone so far!
4- A relief listen, after the horrible 3. I like it.
5- Is this for real or what? it sounds like recorded from the other side of a telephone call. The worst of the bunch.
6- After the horrid 5, this is a revelation. But a bit too distorted for 'Back in Black'.

So, winners are 4 and 2

Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

All sound lame imho. Whatever, and goodnight to ye'awl!
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
mr. torture's Avatar
 

This is a really interesting test. I was looking at options for a plug in Marshall, the UAD might be it.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Deleted. Bozo.

Last edited by koitsu; 1 week ago at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Bozo.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Here for the gear
 

Listened blind myself and liked the sound of 1 the best because it was the easiest on my ears and sounded like a decent tone.

4 and 6 were all right, but 6 is too crisp and bright-sounding to me. It's definitely realistic-sounding but too "processed for clarity," imo. I think I'd tire of listening to it more quickly than I would 1 and possibly 4 as well. Glad the real thing sounded good to me.
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Deleted. Bozo.

Last edited by koitsu; 1 week ago at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Bozo.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
I used Slash's settings:

Presence: 8
Bass: 7
Middle: 7
Treble: 4.5
Loudness 1: 8
Loudness 2: 0
Are you Slash?
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Gear Head
 

I picked 4 no contest
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
All sound lame imho. Whatever, and goodnight to ye'awl!
I stand by this. They sound terrible to me. The guitar part is fine, but the tone is terribly low quality. If that is the best you can do, then good luck.
Old 5 days ago
  #26
Gear Maniac
#2 and #4 sounds best to my ears. But 4 over 2.

Edit: And read back for results... :-)
Old 2 days ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
norton's Avatar
“I used slash’s settings”.

Sorry but, to me.....that is Hilarious.
Old 2 days ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
“I used slash’s settings”.

Sorry but, to me.....that is Hilarious.
Hah! Good point! I don't know what I was thinking, it was doomed from the beginning.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump