The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Inputs for pedal power supply
Old 26th February 2017
Here for the gear

Inputs for pedal power supply

Hi Guitarists.

I'm the engineer (and founder) of Lunastonepedals.com. I have a plan to build a power supply for guitar pedals, and I'm generally interested in what you guys (and girls) think are important and not, and maybe ideas for new overlooked features.

My goal is to make a quality power supply, and not a cheap entry level one, but please don't hold back, if you have any opinion on the subject, no matter which level you find yourself at!

My own, main power supply for the moment, is a CIOKS DC-10. It's seems reliable, noiseless, sexy looking (at least for a power supply ), a bit heavy, but not compared to other transformer based supply's, and weight is not an issue for me. I know, this one is build around an old fashion toroid transformer core.

I would love to see and hear what power supply you are using, and why, if you know. Is it heavy/light? big/small? noisy/silent? expensive/cheap? switch mode or transformer based? Does it have any special features/do you think it lacks some?

/Steen.
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2. Works, plenty of outlets, sag controls on 2 outputs for older effects or general wackiness, and a courtesy outlet for things like my Helicon Harmony G-XT.
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

I found this useful list collecting (almost) every pedal powers available: Power supplies | stinkfoot.se
I ended up with MXR ISO-brick because it's the one easily available in here. Small, 10 isolated outlets, 9 to 18 volts, 450 mA available for power-hungry pedals or you can daisy-chain this one for more pedals.
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Very cool you are looking to do this. Here's my take. I used a pedal train 2 with voodoo labs power 2. Worked great until I got my Earthquaker Devices Avalance run that used 450ma and my Voodoo Labs didn't put out enough juice.

What did I do to combat this? Well, the Voodoo does have another inupt for power, so I rigged the power supply for my EQ pedal to this input. The thing that sucked is it kind of defeated the whole purpose of having a compact pedal unit.

So, I just picked up the new Strymon Zuma that has 9 inputs, all at 500 ma, and 2 of the inputs have switches for 9,12, or 18v. Another huge factor is an output to daisy chain their 5 input Ojai power supply without another power cord. That is very sweet indeed.

And, I think pedal boards, and even power supplies, as silly as it sounds, are becoming a visual extension the artist. The Zuma is a beautiful blue box that will look sweet on my new Dragonfly Holey board. The Holeyboard is a beautiful chili red and silver. I now want my whole rig to look amazing from the guitar, to the power, to the pedal board, to the amp. Just makes me feel complete.

In summary, I would look at what Strymon is doing and see how they have perfectly married function, beauty, and expandAbility. If you create something close in that area but unique to your bRand, I think you will have tons of customers to buy your product.

Rock on and good luck. Keep on creating!!
Old 2nd March 2017

I use two different supplies. A 1Spot or 2 with daisy-chained power cables. A Mooer unit with 12v in and multiple outputs.

I hate having AC running to my pedalboard. There aren't a lot of options out there for this proclivity....

While the Mooer isolated unit will help with noise when a pedal isn't well-designed, I really don't like all those separate cables. When a 1Spot failed recently, I simply hopped the other supply (I was running 2) and kept strumming. Noise did increase, but I haven't tracked down the issue yet.

-tINY

Old 4th March 2017
Gear Nut
I think a flat, thin and long - fourteen inch - supply would be perfect for fitting on the back of a pedalboard. Smaller is better and people will pay you for better. What is going to set you apart is making a new design/place to put the power supply in order for it to be out of the way where the pedals should be on the pedalboard.

As Tiny stated above, making a power supply box run without AC power would be right on.

I think you are on to something. Thank for for asking us for our input. I hope we are helping.
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasalogam View Post
I found this useful list collecting (almost) every pedal powers available: Power supplies | stinkfoot.se
I ended up with MXR ISO-brick because it's the one easily available in here. Small, 10 isolated outlets, 9 to 18 volts, 450 mA available for power-hungry pedals or you can daisy-chain this one for more pedals.
The stink foot list is a good one, and found that with boutique pedals you can just email them to ask.

But the MXR needs an external power supply, so not best for all pedalboards and one of the things that kicked if right off my list.

I like that the Voodoo Labs products and CIOKS have internal power supply. Voodoo Labs gets my vote for construction, but also for having a standard IEC power input - so any cable can be used. CIOKS has an odd power cable that if you lose it, you're screwed.

For the OP building a new power supply, I'd recommend internal power (no wall warts or in-line lumps) and an IEC connector - no custom power cables.
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post
[FONT="comic sans ms"][COLOR="indigo"]
I use two different supplies. A 1Spot or 2 with daisy-chained power cables. A Mooer unit with 12v in and multiple outputs.

I hate having AC running to my pedalboard. There aren't a lot of options out there for this proclivity....
Tiny - for a smaller pedalboard I have the Volto underneath. Powers 5 pedals easily and has enough juice for a 3 hour gig. No more AC cords. Apparently the older ones had an issue with flammability, but that has been solved with the new version. Fits right underneath the Pedaltrain models.
Old 5th March 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot guys! And keep it coming. I read everything you write! I'm not commenting much, because I want the ideas to flow, and not bias to much. There is already a lot of useful information and great opinions in your reply's
📝 Reply