The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking for a Fender Precision Bass alternative
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

The main problem I have with companies like Yamaha, Ibanez etc is that their instruments look like sh*t. I know it's meant to be all about the sound, but not everyone wants to look like they're in some 80's hair metal band.
Old 11th January 2017
That's indeed true for many of them. A friend of mine had (or maybe still has) a black early 90's Ibanez bass which played and sounded great, but I would not want to be seen with it anywhere in public outside the studio. Just one of these streamlined vanilla designs in glossy black, terrible.

The Ibanez ATK I recommended earlier (and own an early model of) to my eyes is a rare exception, I find it quite handsome and it plays and sound terrific. Only con: It weighs a ton.

PS: Welcome to my signature, found this in some thread the other day and LMAO...
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
...PS: Welcome to my signature, found this in some thread the other day and LMAO...
I spotted it before.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
That's indeed true for many of them. A friend of mine had (or maybe still has) a black early 90's Ibanez bass which played and sounded great, but I would not want to be seen with it anywhere in public outside the studio. Just one of these streamlined vanilla designs in glossy black, terrible.

Back in the 80s I had a black Ibanez "jazz bass," which had a scratchplate with some sort of eagle inlaid on it (which I immediately removed). It had a decorative slot cut in the headstock and was the same model as the guy in Nirvana was using.

It really was an excellent bass, and one of a very few instruments I regret trading.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

One can usually find Lakland Skyline basses used in the 600 to 800 range. You won't find a better bass in that price range.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
One can usually find Lakland Skyline basses used in the 600 to 800 range. You won't find a better bass in that price range.
Lakeland are selling imports now for about that price new. I've never played one of their import models, but knowing Lakeland's reputation, I'm sure they are top notch for the price.

The USA series are excellent. The 44-64 classic will hold it's own with any Fender from the 50's on. Used prices are all over the place, but if you can score one in the sub $1000 range, you can't go wrong.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
LMAO..you're kidding, right?

....Bunch of total garbage.
The clue is in this bozos user name, I think.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Lakeland are selling imports now for about that price new. I've never played one of their import models, but knowing Lakeland's reputation, I'm sure they are top notch for the price.

The USA series are excellent. The 44-64 classic will hold it's own with any Fender from the 50's on. Used prices are all over the place, but if you can score one in the sub $1000 range, you can't go wrong.
Yes.

I own a Joe Osborn Skyline, early one with Bartolinis..It is an Excellent guitar...love it..records beautifully (DI) and has a nice range of sounds, growl, spank and smooth...can't say enough.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post

Cool. Haven't priced them lately, but I've had four, two USA and two Skylines.

Got two right now, an old USA 44-94 with Bartolinis before they changed, and a Skyline 3/4 scale Hollowbody 30. The Skylines are most excellent. Some are a bit heavy. The USA 44-64 is light as a feather swamp ash, and the Hollowbody 30 honks through a mix like goose in heat.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear
I bought as Classic Vibe P Bass in Fiesta Red, I was so blown away with it, I went out and bought a Classic Vibe Jazz and Classic Vibe Telecaster 50's bass.

Total cost including a professional set up for all three basses was £1000.

Each one has a different sonic character and playing feel and all three play beautifully and importantly sound and record brilliantly.

There are some really good basses out these days without spending big bucks.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut
Music Man Cutlass
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Music Man Cutlass
The Cutlass looks nice, but the price (more than 2000 Euro) is much more than I am willing/able to pay. 5 string would be nice, too. ;-)

I guess I will visit the store in the next couple of days and try some of the basses mentioned in this threat.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
The main problem I have with companies like Yamaha, Ibanez etc is that their instruments look like sh*t. I know it's meant to be all about the sound, but not everyone wants to look like they're in some 80's hair metal band.
Yeah, Yammie's basses used to be more understated, like the older BB40x and 50x series and the classic TRBs. I have a BB404 jazz clone I picked up for $160 when Brook Mays Music was about to go out of business. The sound's a little vanilla, but what a player, very consistent and just feels good in your hands. I'm considering loading her up with Barts and an active preamp, since I have another Jazz that can handle the passive Jazz tone.

So people know what I'm talking about, this is what Yammies used to look like in the mid-'00s:

... before they turned into these monstrosities:

The current line melds their high-offset RBX and their tamer TRB; not terrible, probably wouldn't go looking for one:

Last edited by Liko; 16th January 2017 at 06:16 PM..
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Try a G&L SB-2 tribute.. very well made and affordable.

kinda like the PJ but tbh i rarely use the bridge pup.. in direct comparison to a P bass sound it has a similar character but a bit more beef and growl ..
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

I picked up a newer used Fender P Bass in MINT condition for $700 recently. I love to play it and it sounds, feels and looks outstanding. Best $700 I spent in a long time. Not sure what this says about reviews but mine is that the American Standard P Bass is OUTSTANDING.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
Back in the 80s I had a black Ibanez "jazz bass," which had a scratchplate with some sort of eagle inlaid on it (which I immediately removed). It had a decorative slot cut in the headstock and was the same model as the guy in Nirvana was using.

It really was an excellent bass, and one of a very few instruments I regret trading.
That was the Black Eagle. It was reissued a little while back.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled73 View Post
If laughing makes you hurt, why would I stop?

But yea, when's the last time you bought a Squier instrument?

Yamahas stay in tune and have decent intonation. I don't give a **** what kind of company they are. I know plenty of people who's first guitar is as nice as the nicest of Les Pauls and Strats. It doesn't exactly take an engineer to build one (unless what you're trying to do is build one as cheaply as possible, an area in which I'm sure fender does a wonderful job).

If I'm going to replace pickups it's going to be in one of those and not the garbage intonation, garbage tuners, garbage bridge and cheap sharp frets that is a Squier anything today. Actually, I'll probably just buy a nicer, older instrument.

Ibanez is a great company for the price, probably the best bang for buck. The only problem I have with Japanese companies is they tend to use active pickups. Gretsch also makes some wonderful instruments at lower prices. Fender is not what it used to be even ten years ago. They are the McDonalds of modern instruments. Seriously, go to a guitar center or some dumb place and check out the bass selection. You'll cry.
Squier cv's (all flavors) sound and feel amazing...

Where is all this fender/squier hate come from? It's weird.

Laklands are amazing chameleons.

This represents the totality of my opinion AND knowledge on this subject.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

I know the OP mentioned P-bass, but I just picked up this Brubaker JXP Standard. It is a Jazz configuration, but the Aguilar pickups are actually split coils, and the neck pickup totally has the P-bass growl. The neck, however, is the thinner Jazz profile, but that is what I prefer.

This model is passive. Master/Volume/Volume/Tone with a modern/vintage switch to boost mids and roll off high (it's passive, so their is a volume drop).

Better tone and playability than any Fender I've played, including the American Standard and new American Pros. Just perfect fit and finish....Alder body, maple neck and ebony fretboard, so very light, and perfectly balanced. It has a Babicz bridge, Hipshot tuners, and yes, that is a maple pick guard!

Made in Baltimore, MD. A bit more than a USA Fender, but IMO well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
looking for a Fender Precision Bass alternative-img_0100.jpg   looking for a Fender Precision Bass alternative-img_0101.jpg  
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Okay folks, in the meantime I have done some more research and narrowed it down to:
- Ibanez SR505 (Mahagony body)
- Ibanez SR605 (like SR505 but with Ash body. I really like the Natural Flat finish)
- Yamaha TRBX505
- Yamaha BB425X (can't really decide if I find it ugly or okay, but apart from that it seems to be a fine bass)
- Squier Vintage Modified Precision V + Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound upgrade (would have to be very quick, though. The Bass isn't produced anymore in 2017 and there is only a small amount of basses left on the market...)
- Fender Roger Waters Precision (I would definitely miss the 5th string, but everything else about this bass really appeals to me)

What do you guys think (and yes, I know, sooner or later I will have to drive the long way to the store to check out these basses myself...)?

Last edited by GrabtharsHammer; 8th March 2017 at 09:32 AM..
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

The Yamaha BB425x (it has a 70's look. Check Nathan East old pictures) is an excellent and versatile bass that sounds much more expensive than it costs. Super punchy. I personally dislike the lack of umph of the Ibanez SR505 and I find its very thin neck uncomfortable.
I own a Squier VM but it is a 4 string and I despise those Quarter Pound pickups.
I don't know anything about this Roger Waters bass but let's say that it is difficult to beat a Fender Precision in a rock context and it always records perfectly if it is set correctly. I use my P Bass every day but rarely use my nice Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe V
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Maniac

I finally went to the store today to check out some basses. The winner: Yamaha BB425X. I was totally surprised how much less punchy the Ibanez SR505 sounded compared to the Yamaha.

But there is a little doubt left... because I tune a whole step down I fear that a 34" scale length bass (like the Yamaha) could get a little buzzy. So on Monday I will visit another store to check out the Schecter Omen 5, which has 35" scale length.

Last edited by GrabtharsHammer; 10th March 2017 at 07:19 PM..
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

The 34/35 scale thing on a five string is a little bit of a misconception. You can get a 34 scale and just get bigger strings as you downtune to D and it won't buzz. A heavy (roughly) 135-110- 85-65-50 set would feel and play like a regular set in normal tuning. The construction and the quality matter more to get a good B string. My main five string bass (I actually mostly play my Jazz and PBass) has a 34 and the B sound is clear as a bell. I had a Yamaha TRB1005 with a 35 scale with a B that was more muddy because of a mediocre preamp (awesome construction in other hand). Trust me, the BB425 is going your best bet in this price range.

Last edited by numero6; 10th March 2017 at 10:36 PM..
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I guess you're right. I was probably overthinking stuff. And the Yamaha felt and sounded great when I played it in the store.

Sooo... Just pulled the trigger on the BB425X. Ordered.

And many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. You were all very helpful!
Old 11th March 2017
There should be no problem with downtuning, if you're tuned down all the time just get heavier strings and spend the few bucks to let a good tech setup the bass with those strings for your tuning. Have fun with your new toy!
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Maniac

The bass comes with D'Addario super long scale 45-130 nickel strings. I guess the super long scale version is needed because of the diagonal string through body construction at the bridge. Is that the case?

Unfortunately D'Addario doesn't offer heavier super long scale strings. Can someone recommend good strings that are heavier than 45-130 and long enough for the BB's construction?

Last edited by GrabtharsHammer; 11th March 2017 at 09:04 PM..
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

If you live in the US check Bassstringonline.com, the cheapest you can find. If you search, you'll find a set of extra-long scale heavy gauge strings. Brands are a matter of preference.
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Nope, unfortunately I could only find "normal" long scale strings heavier than 45-130. Heavier gauge super long scale strings don't seem to be available.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Typically you should not need extra-long scale for this bass. A normal long-scale should be fine. If you have questions ask directly the Bassstringonline's owner Jason on the Talkbass forum (String section)
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
Typically you should not need extra-long scale for this bass. A normal long-scale should be fine.
That's the answer I was hoping to get. ;-) Thanks!
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
The 34/35 scale thing on a five string is a little bit of a misconception. You can get a 34 scale and just get bigger strings as you downtune to D and it won't buzz. A heavy (roughly) 135-110- 85-65-50 set would feel and play like a regular set in normal tuning. The construction and the quality matter more to get a good B string. My main five string bass (I actually mostly play my Jazz and PBass) has a 34 and the B sound is clear as a bell. I had a Yamaha TRB1005 with a 35 scale with a B that was more muddy because of a mediocre preamp (awesome construction in other hand). Trust me, the BB425 is going your best bet in this price range.
Anyone have an opinion on the Yamaha BB425X vs. the Yamaha TRBX505? They both have a 34" scale with 5 strings and go for almost the same retail price, so I'm wondering how much quality is sacrificed to load the TRBX505 with additional features, such as the ability to switch between active and passive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search