The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Playing Intensity - how much do you value it?
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Addict

Well, he is the living example of the Dunning Kruger effect. And the sad irony is that he is the one that brought it up.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleeden View Post
������������������
This chap's hilarious - he genuinely believes he's the only person ever to have gone to college!

And he can't tell a joke when he reads one!
You got me good

I guess i totally deserved that one
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
You got me good

I guess i totally deserved that one
Fair enough
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleeden View Post
Fair enough
Yes, i should not have assumed actual openmindedness here, how stupid of me
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Addict

I get so much fremdscham from reading your posts, grumphh. So cringey.
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Robot View Post
I get so much fremdscham from reading your posts, grumphh. So cringey.
Well yes, a sign that you are to involved in the internet

However, if you insist that you can feel shame based on the actions of others you really shold feel more ashamed on behalf of all the aliases who expose their complete ignorance on both communication and general scientific principles, and seem to be incapable of rational discussion, preferring to form internet mobs 4chan style.

Of course, for certain personality types rational discussion is not nearly as entertaining as simply ganging up, and well, we have a fine example of that here
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
complete ignorance on.... general scientific principles
That's you. And the cringey part is that you don't even realize it.
And if you mean me with the ganging up. Nope i don't gang up on you. I told you my point of view on "music is a language" and it overlaps with yours.
My only problem with you is your ignorance, arrogance and teenager-like discussion practices. You talk about "science" while completely disregarding any kind of scientific method. That's a pet peeve of mine, i can't help it. If someone says "1 +1 is 3" and tells everybody at the same time how intelligent he is, then i can't help but comment. And that has nothing to do with being too involved with the internet.
Feeling getting ganged up on, on the other hand.....
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Yes, i should not have assumed actual openmindedness here, how stupid of me
No, what you should not have assumed is that you needed to tell me about the academic principle of critical textual analysis (particularly in such a patronising manner).

Note, also, that in my first post in this section, I stated that the debate had...
Quote:
made me re-examine some of my pre-conceptions
which I put down largely to some of the points you made.

Last edited by littleeden; 1st October 2016 at 02:29 PM..
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Robot View Post
That's you. And the cringey part is that you don't even realize it.
And if you mean me with the ganging up. Nope i don't gang up on you. I told you my point of view on "music is a language" and it overlaps with yours.
My only problem with you is your ignorance, arrogance and teenager-like discussion practices. You talk about "science" while completely disregarding any kind of scientific method. That's a pet peeve of mine, i can't help it. If someone says "1 +1 is 3" and tells everybody at the same time how intelligent he is, then i can't help but comment. And that has nothing to do with being too involved with the internet.
Feeling getting ganged up on, on the other hand.....
You may point out where i am wrong on basic scientific principles.

A theory must be falsifiable - meaning it must be able to stand tests that are designed to show flaws in the theory.

This is wrong how?
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear
What's your game grumphh?

Is it to troll for 20 pages? 30 pages?

MANY people have pointed out where you are wrong Scientifically but the trouble is that this has descended into a Black Night Skit with you being the Black Night.

You can only prove or disprove a POSITIVE. A Hypothesis that "music isn't a language", doesn't pass this test.

You failed to first observe. You haven't assessed the different forms of communication that are called "language", such as "body language". Your claim that to be a "language", you need to be able to order a beer doesn't pass any test. How about Flag Semaphore? Have you wondered if you could order a beer using flags?

There are so many facets of human communication and language that you haven't assessed before coming up with your latest Troll.

Earlier in this thread you dismissed certain aspects of musical communication as being stereotypes or cliches.

If there is one thing that language is, its stereotypes and cliches. If I say, "bite my ass" you know what the words, "bite", "my", "ass" means because when those letters are arranged in that manner, they always mean the same thing. i.e, a cliche.

This response was against my better judgement. I'm not getting drawn into this Black Night Skit again.

Anthony
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post

MANY people have pointed out where you are wrong
No

Quote:
You can only prove or disprove a POSITIVE. A Hypothesis that "music isn't a language", doesn't pass this test.
This is not pointing out where i am wrong.

This just shows lack of understanding of scientific method.

"Proving" anything has nothing to do with it.

You can't really prove any theory to be true, you can just assume that a given theory is the best possible explanation for a given phenomenon - provided you can find no test that falsifies the theory about that phenomenon.

However, you can prove a theory wrong, by designing a test that aims to falsify the theory.

The theory that "a sea mammal is a fish" can easily be proven wrong, simply by drowning a sea mammal.

That proves conclusively that the theory that " a sea mammal is a fish" is wrong, as fish have gills and thus cannot drown.

...of course the above does not apply to people like you, as you would just rephrase your argument to "but it lives in the sea, and everything that lives in the sea is a fish - so what we have here is a fish that breathes air" in order to not lose an internet discussion.

...also, have you ever given it a thought that i argue against your "positive", albeit rather vague, hypothesis that "music communicates something"?
Closed