The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Insight into Mike Dean's "Kanye" tone?
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Head
Insight into Mike Dean's "Kanye" tone?

mike dean is a legendary producer and he's mainly a synth guy i believe but god damn does he sound good on guitar. at pensados place he says he uses guitar rig and autotune, anybody have any other insights on how the tone is made? any replications?
Old 24th June 2018
Here for the gear

I have spent far too much time pondering the very same thing. After many many hours the crucial elements (I believe to be) are as follows= Octave fuzz (pog or micro pog pedal), lots of reverb and delay (he references a plug-in in abelton called H delay in that pensados place interview), distortion or drive of a mild variety, and alternate tunings (in a few live videos of him playing with travis and kanye it sounds way heavier then standard, maybe drop d or even c in some cases). That should get you close. It is worth noting that mike, being a mad scientist/genius, could be doing some other crazy things to his tone but I believe the following will get you close.
Old 25th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjit View Post
mike dean is a legendary producer and he's mainly a synth guy i believe but god damn does he sound good on guitar. at pensados place he says he uses guitar rig and autotune, anybody have any other insights on how the tone is made? any replications?
I think all the guitar tone on those productions sucks.

"Legenday"? I don't think so.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjit View Post
I think all the guitar tone on those productions sucks.

"Legenday"? I don't think so.
You also seem to be old so your opinion is like fine wine...disgusting outdated trash for snobs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

This will be fun
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll give Epp 2 points on this one. He at least typed "think" twice. Rather than "those guitars suck and anyone who likes them sucks".

I have to deduct 2 points though for the opinion itself.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm patiently awaiting his response.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Normally I would investigate what the OP is talking about, but I wont because he is apparently tied to Kanye in some fashion, who is totally devoid of any talent whatsoever. What is wrong with people to follow both him and his equally talentless wife and her family?

I like what the NYP had to say about them.
Attached Thumbnails
Insight into Mike Dean's "Kanye" tone?-wp-content-2fuploads-2f2014-2f05-2fnypost-480x640.jpg-2ffull-fit-in__950x534.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch Fatalist View Post
You also seem to be old so your opinion is like fine wine...disgusting outdated trash for snobs.
Just like your manners?
Old 3 weeks ago
Anywhere else I'd be amazed that anybody would bother resurrecting a year old thread about, of all things, Kanye's guitar sound, just for an excuse to snipe at me.

Actually, I'm almost flattered in an oddly perverse way.

Somebody please remind me - Is this Gearslutz or is it The Hollywood Reporter?

Carry on!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Anywhere else I'd be amazed that anybody would bother resurrecting a year old thread about, of all things, Kanye's guitar sound, just for an excuse to snipe at me.

Actually, I'm almost flattered in an oddly perverse way.

Somebody please remind me - Is this Gearslutz or is it The Hollywood Reporter?

Carry on!
Washington Post
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lol
Guy created a gearslitz account just to call out John.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search